Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Although I don't hate Hamilton like many of you, Rosberg winning the WDC was the correct result this year. At least Lewis stubbornly made him grind that poo poo out at the
end and not pull over like a wussy or speed up and make a boring race. :histdowns: :britain:

With that being said, It's time for new blood and long past time to make F1 Great Again and I personally look forward to the 2-3 year Froggstappen Reich to set things right and
let every other driver know they can be taken out at any time. :geert: :frogdowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Coulthard saying Lewis should be more sportsman like rather than display petulance

edit: Webber saying the same

LOL, Webber was an even worse sportsman than Lewis.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ImplicitAssembler posted:

LOL, Webber was an even worse sportsman than Lewis.

So, which top flight F1 driver is a good sport?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

iospace posted:

So, which top flight F1 driver is a good sport?

Most of them have decent sense of basic sportsmanship. They may whine and cry, but very few of them will deliberately attempt to ruin another drivers race.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

GramCracker posted:

What even is that logic?

Didn't occur to him Lewis would even *try* to win.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Hexyflexy posted:

Didn't occur to him Lewis would even *try* to win.

I interpreted it as more sarcastic than anything. "if he's having issues let me past and if he's still there I'll let him back in front before the end so he can have the win - otherwise tell him to speed the gently caress up."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, that's what I thought it was, like--if you care so much about first place then fine, Lewis, I'll let you have it, just let us race until then :rolleyes:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What will our dads be reading this morning ? Oh. My. lol.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2016/11/27/lewis-hamilton-could-suspended-mercedes-defying-team-orders/

quote:

Chasing down Verstappen, Rosberg came within inches of colliding with the teenager, their wheels almost touching at two corners, but he surged clear at last. From there, he was only at the mercy of Hamilton’s devilish cunning. Even with Vettel’s bright-red Ferrari filling his rear-view mirrors in the closing minutes, he stood firm. In the words of his master Wolff, “Nico is one tough cookie”. Hamilton, who could yet face ramifications from Mercedes for taking matters into his own hands, had better start believing it.

edit: oh god the comments. so many to choose from but I like this one the best

quote:

Here's a thought.

In most other sports, if those involved, either in ownership or administration or actually playing, attempt to rig the outcome of a competition by ensuring one or more participants don't actually try to win so as to ensure someone else emerges victorious, not only will this usually be against the rules of the sport. It will also potentially lead to police involvement and a criminal prosecution. And everyone will agree that this intervention to stop "fixing" is right and in the public interest. After all, bettors will be wagering money in good faith on the reasonable assumption that the competition they are watching is genuine and that all participants are indeed attempting to do as well as they are able. Any deliberate interference designed to thwart the public's legitimate expectations and to induce some of the participants to collude in delivering a specific outcome is essentially a fraud and needs to be dealt with appropriately.

So how come Formula 1's notorious "team orders" have never attracted the attention of the civil authorities? And why is it considered reasonable for owners and managers to try to manipulate race outcomes by preventing sportsmen on whom the public are betting considerable sums from competing properly?

And even leaving aside the ethics and the potential criminality, why does anyone involved in a sport whose biggest problem is too many tedious processions actually think that what it badly needs is even fewer meaningful races taking place?

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 28, 2016

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Hefe posted:

Button was lucky the McLaren was so dogshit because if it was a competitive car Alonso would have destroyed him, that's what Alonso does, in one of his first few races with Ferrari (China think it was) Massa was running ahead of him and it was time to come into the pits but they were really close and Alonso passed him right on the pit entry so the mechanics had to quickly go pick up his tires, it was amazing and it was Alonso saying "yeah you're my bitch now".

That was great. Its a shame Ferrari couldnt give Alonso a winning car.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Just watched the race replay. Last few laps were really good. I'm going to miss Jenson. :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ok, the pay off was worth it.

quote:

You don't know sh!t. This us a driver Ross Brawn chatted with for over 2 hours in his mum kitchen trying to convince him to join Mercedes. How many race had Mercedes won before he joined? And how many race had Mclaren won since he left? I can lie and you can lie but facts don't lie.
The fact is that since Hamilton left Mclaren; Mclaren haven't won a single race. Coincidence? I think not. There is no such thing as coincidence in life.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I do enjoy the whining in here about sportsmanship, where his actions made the race more interesting.

It would have been a total snoozefest if he just hosed off into the distance.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Just because it was entertaining doesn't mean it wasnt a cuntish thing to do. Or would you say Nico did nothing wrong in Spain or Austria - those made the race more exciting too.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
BBC F1's homepage is salty as gently caress this morning. :grin:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

AgentJotun posted:

Just because it was entertaining doesn't mean it wasnt a cuntish thing to do. Or would you say Nico did nothing wrong in Spain or Austria - those made the race more exciting too.
Spain was 50/50 blame and a racing incident, and honestly I can't remember what Nico did in Austria.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Fair enough Mr Falken. Looks like your taking the loss as well as Hamilton has - which in my opinion has been surprisingly well.

In other news Perez continues to own bones. Finished comfortably P7 in the championship. I know Ferrari aren't hurting for cash, but talent and a sack of sponsorship money seems like a no brainer for 2018.

Alonso ahead of Massa and the Toro Rosso's is a drat fine effort too.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Theophany posted:

BBC F1's homepage is salty as gently caress this morning. :grin:

saving for posterity

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

AgentJotun posted:

Fair enough Mr Falken. Looks like your taking the loss as well as Hamilton has - which in my opinion has been surprisingly well.
Yeah, he's just kind of shrugged and is looking on to the future. The thread is hunting for PETULANCE though.

But I think he went into the race with the idea he wasn't going to be champion.

learnincurve posted:

saving for posterity

This is loving hilarious.

e: Wait, in the "Rosberg will never be Hamilton's equal" picture, did they seriously put the "Jeremy Kyle" filter on Nico? gently caress I hate the BBC

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Falken posted:

Yeah, he's just kind of shrugged and is looking on to the future. The thread is hunting for PETULANCE though.

But I think he went into the race with the idea he wasn't going to be champion.

This is loving hilarious.

e: Wait, in the "Rosberg will never be Hamilton's equal" picture, did they seriously put the "Jeremy Kyle" filter on Nico? gently caress I hate the BBC

That clickbait poo poo article title (Andrew Benson, go figure) is also the one where half of the BBC's skeleton crew of Radio reporters who weren't good enough for Sky or Channel 4 slate Rosberg as undeserving too. :lol:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Mercedes should do an advert with one Mercedes holding up another in your usual motorway commuting scenario (rear end in a top hat hogging the fast lane), and it cuts to Lewis humming to himself, seemingly oblivious, and then to Nico angrily shaking his fist at the car ahead, with his WDC trophy safely seatbelted in the passenger seat.

ThreeFingerHoek
Feb 6, 2009

i attribute the quarrelsome nature of the middle ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed

learnincurve posted:

Merc were in danger of losing the 1 2, seb was ludicrously faster, and about 7 seconds faster than Lewis and on fast fresh tyres. Luckily seb is a good lad who sacrificed a win because gently caress trying to take on Lewis in a do or die mood.

Also Nico was made to let Lewis overtake him in the early days and kept muttering "remember this moment remember this" over the radio at the end, and Rosberg seems like the kind of man who broods over that kind of a thing.

early days like 2013 http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/21917717

or early days like this june http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/06/01/were-mercedes-correct-giving-rosberg-team-orders-in-monaco/

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Falken posted:

Mercedes should do an advert with one Mercedes holding up another in your usual motorway commuting scenario (rear end in a top hat hogging the fast lane), and it cuts to Lewis humming to himself, seemingly oblivious, and then to Nico angrily shaking his fist at the car ahead, with his WDC trophy safely seatbelted in the passenger seat.

Wouldn't be the first time Mercedes have made light of an acrimonious relationship to hawk cars. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKU90BSHqHk

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
In more important news, the worst thread GP predictor championship results are up

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Couldn't care less who won the WDC as I don't care for either Lewis or Nico but Hamilton's strategy was bang on and I can't fault it. Him telling his team to go gently caress themselves was just the icing on the cake

:same:

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
I thought the race was entertaining and would like to see more tom foolery in the future.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Falken posted:

:perfect:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

learnincurve posted:

saving for posterity

I was just reading that 'Nico will never be Lewis' equal' story. I use the term 'story' as loosely as possible. The BBC is a loving sham.

But yea, extreme saltiness. Tastes gooood.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I just love how theres all these folk who are salty as gently caress on Lewis behalf and hes probably getting geared up to go skiiing right now.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Lewis did the best anyone could with the situation he had. Any racing driver in the same place would have tried to do the same thing. In fact, if this was Senna/Schumi era they would have probably tried to take Nico off the track - he didn't resort to this and kept it clean.

People calling him unsporting and the team telling him to speed up is laughable. I am happy for Nico but Lewis doesn't deserve to be reprimanded over this.

I just hope next year is a bit more competitive and we don't have one team winning every single race by a comfortable margin (if it weren't for mechanical failure or them taking each other out, Merc. would have won 100% of the races easily).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of ads, Mercedes uses the tagline "The Best or Nothing" here in the states for their ads (non-AMG mind you). Well, the past three years, in F1 anyway, they've been the best.

ThreeFingerHoek
Feb 6, 2009

i attribute the quarrelsome nature of the middle ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed

wicka posted:

if you're saying we should interpret a potential nico WDC as a second WDC for keke then i am absolutely down with that

For those not in the know, daddy Keijo went into F1 at a time when Finland was kowtowing to the Soviet Union and had some weird ideas about sports. Driving in a circle around havens of capitalist decadence like Monaco was considered neither proper, nor a proper sport, so Keke got exactly zero positive press in Finland. Because he was starting out in poo poo teams whose cars blew up a lot he was instead given the title "Garbage driver of the year" by a major Finnish tabloid in 1981.

When he went to Williams 1982 and started scoring, the press of course did a 180 and started slurping his dick. Actually the whole country did, and we've been completely motorsports/F1-crazy ever since. But the damage had been done.

Keke moved the gently caress to Monaco and vowed that
1) - his kid would likewise become an F1 champion
2) - he sure as hell wouldn't do so representing those cunts in Finland.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Speaking of ads, Mercedes uses the tagline "The Best or Nothing" here in the states for their ads (non-AMG mind you). Well, the past three years, in F1 anyway, they've been the best.

that's a worldwide one I think.

Keke is cool and has a top-three 'tache in F1 history.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Keke is cool as gently caress and his win in '84 is one of the most impressive drives I've ever seen.

Falken posted:

I just love how theres all these folk who are salty as gently caress on Lewis behalf and hes probably getting geared up to go skiiing right now.

I knew there would be a bit of a reaction but it really is hilarious just how loving off the rails it went. I get why Alonso left McLaren in '07 now.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

I get why Alonso left McLaren in '07 now.

Ron sacked him didn't he?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ThreeFingerHoek posted:

Because he was starting out in poo poo teams whose cars blew up a lot he was instead given the title "Garbage driver of the year" by a major Finnish tabloid in 1981.

That's a really unfair. The Fittipaldi he drove in 1981 was a horrible car.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Any chance Ron might go to Ferrari when he is free of gardening leave? Just to really piss off McLaren?

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Ferrari can't be ruined any further

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

geonetix posted:

Ferrari can't be ruined any further

They haven't been beaten by Sauber yet, so yes they can.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Real talk: "Nico Rosberg will never be Hamilton's equal" is not a controversial statement nor is it bitterness talking. Our Lewis is going to go down in history as one of all time greats, Nico is going to go down in history as the answer to the trivia question "Which driver competed in the most F1 races before winning his first (and only) world championship?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

:parrot::gizz::cumpolice::siren::gizz::parrot:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/keke-rosberg-q-a-1982-champion-ends-six-year-media-blackout-854947/

• Locked thread