Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Josef bugman posted:

I really liked the blind Yakuza guy.

I liked him until he told me I couldn't do a mission until I went away and built up my swimming stat like I was grinding in a lovely MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Wu Zi Mu and his pretending not to be blind during a mission was great.
"You know I'm black, right? And not Asian?"
"Carl, I'm blind, not stupid"

Project CARS is a really good racing game but gently caress the bottom tier being the Kart racing. They're nothing like all the cars you drive in the invitationals you have throughout the season and there's no practice or qualifying so you're just plonked straight in there and by the time you begin to reacclimatize to the handling, the race is over.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Josef bugman posted:

I really liked the blind Yakuza guy.

:spergin: He was a Chinese Triad boss.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i liked the subplot in san andreas where you slaughter a popular rapper's house and steal his notebook full of dope rhymes to give to your talentless buddy, only to then later rescue the now-destitute rapper from committing suicide so you can kill your now-successful talentless buddy and act like you're looking out for the rapper's best interests.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pokemon Moon and it's Nintendogs style mini game. It isn't a feature I'm enjoying but I don't know if I can safely ignore it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

Pokemon Moon and it's Nintendogs style mini game. It isn't a feature I'm enjoying but I don't know if I can safely ignore it.

It's a Pokemon game. Assuming you understand how to hit the confirm button with regularity you'll be just fine.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

1. Why not, it owns
and 2. If you just care for your Pokemon after some battles when the Care prompt comes up you don't have to worry about it otherwise. It will naturally give whatever Pokemon you're using in battle the most higher affection, because Pokemon bond to their trainers in battle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

1. Why not, it owns
and 2. If you just care for your Pokemon after some battles when the Care prompt comes up you don't have to worry about it otherwise. It will naturally give whatever Pokemon you're using in battle the most higher affection, because Pokemon bond to their trainers in battle.

I just want to cockfight my little dudes. I'm not in this to feed them or scratch their ears/belly until Hart's explode from them.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Len posted:

I just want to cockfight my little dudes. I'm not in this to feed them or scratch their ears/belly until Hart's explode from them.

Is Team Rocket hiring?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, for the most part I love Burnout Paradise with all of my heart.

But.

Burning routes.

See: to unlock more cars, you have to drive specific cars to these "burning routes" where you do a race against the clock to some far off location, and they usually tailor the race to take advantage of what kind of car you have. The fast cars get straight lines, the heavier cars get more turns, etc.

Not so the Krieger 616 Sport. It's a fairly light, zippy car that does fantastic on highways and straight roads. It can't bump into other cars without crashing, and it's made of paper. I don't mind this! I enjoy running the fast ones and enjoying the world turn to a blur - but this is a complaint post.

The 616's burning route involves no less than three jumps, a turn onto a straight road, and you have to remember to get off of that road near the end of it or else you'll shoot straight into the other side of town. And the time limit is really, really tight - can't take more than two crashes before you're screwed - it's hard, in other words. Most of the burning routes haven't been this hard so far, and it's annoying to suddenly find a brick wall of difficulty - but this isn't why I'm making this post.

I'm making this post because the game doesn't teleport you back to the start if you fail, no. They make you drive all the way back every time, and since you can't take those jumps in reverse, it turns a 1:38 racing route into a several minute hike every time. :rant:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Is Team Rocket hiring?

Look I don't play this game to bond with Pokemon I play it to roll other trainers for their lunch money :colbert:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Look I don't play this game to bond with Pokemon I play it to roll other trainers for their lunch money :colbert:

calm down, blue

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, for the most part I love Burnout Paradise with all of my heart.

But.

Burning routes.

See: to unlock more cars, you have to drive specific cars to these "burning routes" where you do a race against the clock to some far off location, and they usually tailor the race to take advantage of what kind of car you have. The fast cars get straight lines, the heavier cars get more turns, etc.

Not so the Krieger 616 Sport. It's a fairly light, zippy car that does fantastic on highways and straight roads. It can't bump into other cars without crashing, and it's made of paper. I don't mind this! I enjoy running the fast ones and enjoying the world turn to a blur - but this is a complaint post.

The 616's burning route involves no less than three jumps, a turn onto a straight road, and you have to remember to get off of that road near the end of it or else you'll shoot straight into the other side of town. And the time limit is really, really tight - can't take more than two crashes before you're screwed - it's hard, in other words. Most of the burning routes haven't been this hard so far, and it's annoying to suddenly find a brick wall of difficulty - but this isn't why I'm making this post.

I'm making this post because the game doesn't teleport you back to the start if you fail, no. They make you drive all the way back every time, and since you can't take those jumps in reverse, it turns a 1:38 racing route into a several minute hike every time. :rant:

Iirc the Easy Ride menu has an option for "restart last event", check your bindings to figure out how to open it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

You can ignore it, it will make your guys occasionally get a free crit or hang on with 1 hp, but the only thing you need it for is evolving eevee in to sylveon. Eevee needs to level up with 2 hearts in that thing while knowing a fairy type move. IIRC feeding it one rainbow bean will get it to two hearts.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Playing through The Last of Us Remastered reminds me of the one glitch i had during the segment where you're running from a bunch of zombies, and some guy yells for you to run to his lil shop.

the glitch in question was that every time i tried to get in there, the game would freeze. Maybe the remastered edition has fixed that glitch, or maybe it was just my PS3

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dewgy posted:

You're the type of person who gets irrationally mad at Claptrap, aren't you?

It's not really irrational if there's a reason for it. Claptrap is designed to be incredibly annoying. Some people find it endearing, some people do not. Since I do not, I don't play borderlands.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Claptrap is one of the worst fictional beings I have ever seen, and it's weird to me that there could be fans of him. Like I thought he was universally reviled, but I guess to each their own.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Speaking of Borderlands, how is that the only Loot and Shoot to not be completely awful on release? I can understand why games like Vermintide, Division, and Destiny had loot issues (which they've all gone great lengths to fix), but I have to give Gearbox credit that they're like the only one of their kind that released with an overall good system for obtaining reasonable loot.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Speaking of Borderlands, how is that the only Loot and Shoot to not be completely awful on release? I can understand why games like Vermintide, Division, and Destiny had loot issues (which they've all gone great lengths to fix), but I have to give Gearbox credit that they're like the only one of their kind that released with an overall good system for obtaining reasonable loot.

Honestly, I'd say that Borderlands' loot was pretty terrible as well, swamping you with useless poo poo and only giving you something good and/or unique once in a blue moon.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

And almost immediately nullifying the usefulness of a gun after a single level-up.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's very surprising to see someone praise borderlands in this thread

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tales from the Borderlands is actually pretty good, especially episode 4, and it just emphasizes how bad the writing in the other Borderlands games is. They proved you can do something funny and interesting with that setting, and it was just the terrible-rear end writing in the other games holding it back. I mean, that and all the gameplay problems.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The first time I played Borderlands 2, I expected the plot to be that Hungry Jack or whatever his name is was luring vault hunters and killing them specifically to make them use New-U stations and constantly pay Hyperion, making it one big nickel-and-diming scheme, and thought that was really clever and funny.

I never ended up getting far because nearly every single line of dialogue was distressingly unfunny, but apparently Anthony Burch, the lazy sack he is, decided New-U stations don't actually exist because he couldn't be arsed to fit them into the story.

I figured out a way to fit them into the story by accident you drat hack what's wrong with you :mad: And that's not even getting into the multitude of other reasons why Burch is awful

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Claptrap is one of the worst fictional beings I have ever seen, and it's weird to me that there could be fans of him. Like I thought he was universally reviled, but I guess to each their own.

Claptrap is designed to be annoying and reviled.

Why they thought that would make him more palatable, I don't know. Just because he's supposed to be annoying doesn't make me any less annoyed!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Danaru posted:

The first time I played Borderlands 2, I expected the plot to be that Hungry Jack or whatever his name is was luring vault hunters and killing them specifically to make them use New-U stations and constantly pay Hyperion, making it one big nickel-and-diming scheme, and thought that was really clever and funny.

I never ended up getting far because nearly every single line of dialogue was distressingly unfunny, but apparently Anthony Burch, the lazy sack he is, decided New-U stations don't actually exist because he couldn't be arsed to fit them into the story.

I figured out a way to fit them into the story by accident you drat hack what's wrong with you :mad: And that's not even getting into the multitude of other reasons why Burch is awful

Hey guys I'm Hungry Jack lookit me stuff my face with all this delicious Eridium.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Morpheus posted:

Hey guys I'm Hungry Jack lookit me stuff my face with all this delicious Eridium.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I can't do Deus Ex :saddowns:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've been playing the Lifeline games for Android because they're cheap and relatively fun and I know the point is that it's supposed to be a real time game with pauses and waiting but goddamn they could have sped up the speed text shows up on the screen. If Lifeline 2 is like the first one after I finish it I'll unlock instant text but gently caress man it's just artificially lengthening the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Claptrap is designed to be annoying and reviled.

Why they thought that would make him more palatable, I don't know. Just because he's supposed to be annoying doesn't make me any less annoyed!

Tales from the Borderlands has a character who's basically the anti-Claptrap. Appropriately, she is very funny and endearing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The thing dragging down Borderlands is that they aren't all written as well and fun as Tales from the Borderlands. Like from the first game the setting has sounded really neat, it's just that a FPS-ARPG is really not the game to take advantage of it.

Also I like Tales from the Borderlands just for being a thing you can point to when people get all whipped up about how Telltale can't do anything right ever anymore or something. When they have the right material they still make good stuff, but then you give really anyone Minecraft and tell them to make it into a compelling story and you get :effort: as you should kind of expect.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Nov 28, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Morpheus posted:

i'm reading this in rick sanchez' voice

i didn't really like the final mission in alpha protocol. i thought having g22 help me out would make the level be more stealthy but it was on constant alert and the bosses could have had better setups.

still, no matter how i choose to play thorton, i don't think i'll ever not shoot leland in the face.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

I can't do Deus Ex :saddowns:

I can understand that. One of the things that drags down old PC games is usability. I went ten years without playing Deus Ex, and when I tried to load it up, I couldn't get very far before giving up. Same thing happened with Medieval 2: Total War and Panzer General. I just forgot how to play them and didn't have the time or energy to want to re-learn the intricacies. It's one of the reasons why I love the current generation of games that are nostalgic for older stuff, but at the same time use modern ideas of game design to improve usability to a large degree.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Plan Z posted:

I can understand that. One of the things that drags down old PC games is usability. I went ten years without playing Deus Ex, and when I tried to load it up, I couldn't get very far before giving up. Same thing happened with Medieval 2: Total War and Panzer General. I just forgot how to play them and didn't have the time or energy to want to re-learn the intricacies. It's one of the reasons why I love the current generation of games that are nostalgic for older stuff, but at the same time use modern ideas of game design to improve usability to a large degree.

Urgh, Med 2 and the battle interface. I have been playing a bit of Warhammer Total War and the way units behave, what they do. med 2 just cannot compete. There is no "umph" when knights hit a formation and arrows seem to make no difference to anything.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

After completing the first few floors of the main dungeon in Baroque the food (i.e. most of the healing items you find) is rotten. I can't really find a method to make them fresh and even if there was it would probably not be available most of the time. The game in general is too obtuse; I ended up spending about 2 hours completing a dungeon unnecessarily thinking it would make me progress. Given that your level resets after completion of a dungeon the time spent was almost entirely wasted.

Action Tortoise posted:

i liked the subplot in san andreas where you slaughter a popular rapper's house and steal his notebook full of dope rhymes to give to your talentless buddy, only to then later rescue the now-destitute rapper from committing suicide so you can kill your now-successful talentless buddy and act like you're looking out for the rapper's best interests.

GTA3 is even better. The Yakuza help you out when the Mafia are after you. Not long after, you take a mission to assassinate their leader to start a gang war just to decrease property prices. You then help said leaders sister against the cartel to get revenge for the assassination you carried out on the orders of someone else entirely. This is no plot hole; your character is just a loving disloyal douchecraft carrier.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You get a huge number of character customization options in Pokemons S&M Edition: Skin color, eye color, makeup, hair color, like 20 different hairstyles, all sorts of different outfit pieces and different patterns and the ability to dye them.
None of this matters because once you get a mount it forces you into some dumb hipster bike suit thing with a stupid helmet.

Also how did 'call for help' pass any kind of QA. Like, at least one person should've looked at that and thought 'maybe let's cap it at two or something so people don't get stuck fighting forever'.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Honestly, I'd say that Borderlands' loot was pretty terrible as well, swamping you with useless poo poo and only giving you something good and/or unique once in a blue moon.

This brings up a repressed Borderlands memory: the entire narrative focus of the game is how sweet the Vault is and how mercenaries will die just to get to it, and (for me at least) it dropped a bunch of garbage. Here's your vendor trash, time for NG+.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
The vault was poo poo for everyone on purpose, but they later realized their mistake and make fun of how poo poo it was constantly now. Knoxx at least gives a proper vault and is a better 'end' for the game.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I am really enjoying Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth but I can't change my characters outfit and I loving hate yellow. This is my only complaint once I found the short battle animations option.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

You get a huge number of character customization options in Pokemons S&M Edition: Skin color, eye color, makeup, hair color, like 20 different hairstyles, all sorts of different outfit pieces and different patterns and the ability to dye them.
None of this matters because once you get a mount it forces you into some dumb hipster bike suit thing with a stupid helmet.

Also how did 'call for help' pass any kind of QA. Like, at least one person should've looked at that and thought 'maybe let's cap it at two or something so people don't get stuck fighting forever'.

The apparel you can buy is way less varied than XY, which was a real letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I didn't bother going into the clothes store but I should because I'm not a fan of my dude wearing capri pants.