Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Has anyone done any testing with the Parting Flame? Is the fire trail while casting that useful?

It's only useful for Black Flame/Great Combustion but it is a huge boost. ~150 extra damage. More useful in PVP than PVE of course, but always worthwhile, especially since the parting flame has only around 10 less spellbuff (at high stats; at lower levels of Int/Fth it's straight up stronger).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tbh I was testing it on a SL 125 char in pvp, so that might've had something to do with it being disappointed with it. Maybe I'm just salty about how insultingly useless the weapon art is.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

AlternateNu posted:

Has anyone done any testing with the Parting Flame? Is the fire trail while casting that useful?

When used with Black Flame or Great Combustion it's a pretty serious boost in damage. The fire trail also exists on the fireball-style spell animations and once in a blue moon you can clip someone or something with it there as well. The Parting Flame actually has a bit better spellbuff than the regular Flame at lower levels of int/fth (I think the regular glove passes it around 30/30 but I haven't checked) so it could be useful in a hybrid build for that reason as well. The weapon art is...well it's kind of neat if you are the type that likes to fully clear areas, it's worth 3-4 extra flask uses. There's some bosses where it gives you infinite healing as well (first phase Greatwood, Deacons) but it's not like those fights are that hard to begin with. It's useless in PvP with one exception: like the other "on death" triggers, it work when invading, so you can get a couple free flasks off the host killing mobs.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

It's extremely useful while using black flame. Outdamages the regular pyro glove. If you don't use that spell then it's useless. Black Flame is a really good spell in PVP though.

Also, you don't need the required Str to use pyromancies. It's just for the weapon art.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Parting Flame looks cooler than the normal pyromancy glove so it's much better in all situations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Hah, it wasn't the big strength weapons, vigor or endurance that helped againsts the gank squads. It was force and ledges and its never not funny to watch 2/3 gank squad members go flying to their doom while number 3 runs like a coward.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Azuth0667 posted:

What's the best SL50-60 build for handling gank squads?

I dunno about builds in particular but look into halberds for the weapon. Lucerne, glaive and crescent axe all have the same moveset and it's really good at multiple opponents, especially sword users. Lots of variety and range. I don't much like the thrust halberds but the red hilted one does have perseverance. Get the base stats for one you like, get a decent amount of HP and stamina, and wear some decent armor and you can do pretty well for yourself.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

RabidWeasel posted:

Nope, a shame as the quills are totally loving useless and the weapon itself is best used as just a super high damage thrusting sword.

The quills are useful for exactly the same thing the throwing knives are: they're just for taking down something with extremely low health. They're harder to dodge than the throwing knives are, too, since their timing is pretty weird and there's four of them.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

RabidWeasel posted:

Lothric Knight Long Spear (only use 2handed; 1hand moveset is really slow), Gargoyle Flame Spear, Dragonslayer's Spear. The Partizan isn't bad either but is noticably shorter and weaker than these three. Arstor's Spear is also good (relatively speaking) for a pure dex build but as you have noted the estoc is basically straight up better for that.
For some reason everyone seems to overlook the Drang Twinspears, but those are really good as well. Great reach on its R1's, good damage on its L1's and it still has the old pre-nerf Gotthard's roll-attack, but with extra reach added on top!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Exodee posted:

For some reason everyone seems to overlook the Drang Twinspears, but those are really good as well. Great reach on its R1's, good damage on its L1's and it still has the old pre-nerf Gotthard's roll-attack, but with extra reach added on top!

To be honest I haven't used them for ages but I remember both the length and AR not being that great, maybe I need to try them out again.

E:

Oh right they do less damage than an Estoc, that's why they're bad :v:

I hope they give the roll attack the Gotthard's treatment at some point and bump the dex scaling up a bunch to make them a bit more respectable in damage. Hell all the spears other than the GFS and Dragonslayer's could do with a scaling buff.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 27, 2016

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

RabidWeasel posted:

To be honest I haven't used them for ages but I remember both the length and AR not being that great, maybe I need to try them out again.

E:

Oh right they do less damage than an Estoc, that's why they're bad :v:

I hope they give the roll attack the Gotthard's treatment at some point and bump the dex scaling up a bunch to make them a bit more respectable in damage. Hell all the spears other than the GFS and Dragonslayer's could do with a scaling buff.
It's damage on a quality build is pretty much on par with most other dual weapons I'd say. It's also a bit faster than Gotthard's after all the patch changes. As far as its reach goes, the R1's have deceptively high reach, almost on par with the Lothric Spear. It's true that the L1's aren't too great in that regard though, but the R1's and L1's flow quite nicely into each other.

But yeah, if you're looking for sheer damage output the Lothric Knight Spear will probably win out, especially with those fast R2's it has. :)

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

lite_sleepr posted:

No it isn't

no poo poo

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

AlternateNu posted:

I find it funny that Gundyr gets corrupted and severely weakened in the timeline where the fire is still linked and becomes a badass in the timeline where he gets hosed out of his glorious lordly duties.

Finding the firekeeper's set in the tower made me think briefly about how she was waiting for a Champion who never came. :(

Iudex is cool. He's a top 5 boss for me, series wise.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Iudex is a neatly designed tutorial boss fight in that his animations are big and scary but actually quite easy to dodge.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Armani posted:

Finding the firekeeper's set in the tower made me think briefly about how she was waiting for a Champion who never came. :(

Iudex is cool. He's a top 5 boss for me, series wise.

Her and most of the other countless number of firekeeper corpses in that tower, yes :stare:

I've been trying to play around with UGS lately and holy gently caress why does everything make my stamina bar disappear? From fix this poo poo, I wanna hit stuff with a ludicrously massive pointy bit of metal :argh: (though DS2 still has a lock on the comically dumb weapons such as the keyblade and statue on a stick)

E:

Apparently some guys found a new bug which lets you do all kinds of poo poo you're not supposed to including duping consumables and buffing non-buffable weapons (including bare fists) and it's not even difficult to do. Wonder how long it's going to stay like that.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 27, 2016

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Paracelsus posted:

Iudex is a neatly designed tutorial boss fight in that his animations are big and scary but actually quite easy to dodge.

Those are the best bosses all around, though. Abyss Watchers, Iudex, Champion and Soul of Cinder all follow that pattern where they have big obvious animations with really good tells so you know what's going to happen, and are all appropriately difficult to dodge for the point in the game you fight them in.

Artorias and Nameless King share the issue where they like to jump or move in ways that break your lock on, then attack from behind immediately.

Then there's another category for things like Elfreide, Dancer, and Pontiff where they have huge combos that you have to perfectly time your dodges through long series of attacks. These are more challenging, but not necessarily more rewarding once you beat them. Generally the animations don't look as big and scary, and they're harder to dodge, and sometimes deal the same damage as a hit from one of the harder or bigger bosses, which can lead more towards a "that was bullshit" moment when you get clipped after your third dodge in a row.

Then in the series there's things like Manus where everything is terrifying and is still pretty hard to dodge, but the setting and everything just makes that good design even if he has some bullshit moves.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah I really prefer the Lorain type of being relentless instead of pontiff's massive combos that gently caress up your camera as you dodge too close to a wall. Once I figured out the tempo i really enjoyed the twin princes, though I did hate it at first because he's one if the rare enemies that punishes you for moving away.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Twin Princes is probably my least favourite boss fight in the entire series due to the teleportation, I don't really like it when games gently caress you over specifically because of how the camera controls work. Unless there's some way of telling if he's doing the "teleport + fast attack" vs. "teleport + charge" that I'm too dumb to figure out. Dancer is another one just because the sword effects in P2 gently caress my FPS something fierce.

DS3 has a lot of bosses which are just kind of there and aren't really scary at all so I guess it's nice that there's at least one which is still challenging even if it's a frustrating kind of challenge.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I tried out the Farron greatsword instead of the Artorias one this playthrough and man it is barrels o' fun. Crazy skating spin2win is a pretty good time. It's also worked really nicely against the Pontiff's stupid clone since you're dodging their attacks while dealing damage to both of the jerks.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

DS3 has a lot of bosses which are just kind of there and aren't really scary at all so I guess it's nice that there's at least one which is still challenging even if it's a frustrating kind of challenge.

The biggest problem with a lot of bosses in DS3 is that they require reaction times that are ridiculously fast for telegraphs that aren't always clear. Joseph Anderson went through a bunch of these in his review, but the teleport drop attack on Twin Princes has an entire four frames between his legs appearing and the damage hitbox for his weapon activating.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Vermain posted:

The biggest problem with a lot of bosses in DS3 is that they require reaction times that are ridiculously fast for telegraphs that aren't always clear. Joseph Anderson went through a bunch of these in his review, but the teleport drop attack on Twin Princes has an entire four frames between his legs appearing and the damage hitbox for his weapon activating.

Yeah, I would basically dodge immediately whenever he teleported if I was right next to him and I couldn't see where he went. I would sometimes get caught by some random other attack since that would gently caress up my timing, though. It's definitely my least favorite move he has.
I still prefer that to having to time dodges for 5 consecutive hits where they have different timings, though. It's why I haven't finished Furi yet. Muscle-memory-training isn't my favorite way of learning a fight.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I just dodge rolled twice whenever the Twin Princes teleported, because the two moves that can instantly gently caress you are on that sort of timing and the other one involves them going halfway across the battlefield and let give you plenty time to spot what was happening.

Far more annoying is how Lothric just keeps spraying his little white energy pellets everywhere that can stagger you if you get hit by too many. I have a similar problem with Aldritch.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

:shrug: I figured out his specific attacks fast enough. If lock on doesn't break then his teleport is a melee, if its the super melee you have to dodge again. When he does the sprites he'll teleport to the side of you so you can dodge backwards and avoid the sprites and the sword.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My least favorite boss in the game was probably Aldritch. I ended up beating him with a sunbro who was twinked out specifically to destroy him, so I just stayed away and dodged the entire fight. :/

I never actually got his patterns down. All I know is that killing him solo probably takes for-loving-ever since he gets into weird attack animations that making locking onto him a nightmare, he teleports to the other side of the field whenever you get too close, and his second phase is so loving aggressive, you have to dodge the entire time, and hope you have enough stamina left to get one or two shots in before he teleports away.

At least with the Pontiff, you can turn his phase 2 bullshit off for a while if you're aggressive enough.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The real key with Aldritch is you need to attack his tail and stay just a tiny bit back from him. He's a big pain until you get used to it though, that's true.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I really like the great axe and the glaive. The great axe lets me smash most people since its quick and no one expects 3 hits in a row to land. The glaive lets me keep R1 straight sword people at bay.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Between the camera fuckups and the extremely wonky hitboxes on the Twin Princes (seriously they're way worse than anything in DS2) they're probably my least favorite boss in the game to actually fight, though I think the concept is pretty neat.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Are you guys fighting a different twin princes than me? :( It's the one fight where the camera has never hosed up for me. While regular enemies will have that bitch 360 if a guy reaches over me sending my dodge into a literally random direction and killing me

Great wolf has to be my least favorite. He never gives you a chance to hit him. His hit boxes are insane and never match his model.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

AlternateNu posted:

My least favorite boss in the game was probably Aldritch. I ended up beating him with a sunbro who was twinked out specifically to destroy him, so I just stayed away and dodged the entire fight. :/

I never actually got his patterns down. All I know is that killing him solo probably takes for-loving-ever since he gets into weird attack animations that making locking onto him a nightmare, he teleports to the other side of the field whenever you get too close, and his second phase is so loving aggressive, you have to dodge the entire time, and hope you have enough stamina left to get one or two shots in before he teleports away.

At least with the Pontiff, you can turn his phase 2 bullshit off for a while if you're aggressive enough.

Aldrich is mostly dangerous at a distance, and he's extremely weak to fire. Don't bother locking on because the Gwyndolin part will usually be out of reach anyway. The tail is the vulnerable spot so basically you want to pop a charcoal resin outside the gate, then rush him down right away and get his health as low as you can before he embers. The arrow spam is the worst thing he can do so you always want to be sprinting right up to him wherever he teleports so he'll do melee attacks instead. Alternatively if you have GCFO or Chaos Vestiges they absolutely crush him, you can focus him down within a single mana bar.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I was surprised at how easy the Twin Princes were actually. At first yeah they seemed impossible but Lorian is actually piss easy to dodge once you get his timings down, and Lothric's threats can be mitigated by the ever-reliable "don't stop moving" technique.

Seriously, I dedicated my second playthrough to beating the bosses by myself the "right way" and there were a few unpleasent surprises, but the Twin Princes were not one of them.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Are you guys fighting a different twin princes than me? :( It's the one fight where the camera has never hosed up for me. While regular enemies will have that bitch 360 if a guy reaches over me sending my dodge into a literally random direction and killing me

Great wolf has to be my least favorite. He never gives you a chance to hit him. His hit boxes are insane and never match his model.

If you're a caster the twin princes fight fucks your camera up just as much as nameless king does.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if youre a caster youll kill the nameless kings first form in 30 seconds and you wont be casting a lot with twin princes since he teleports too much.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

KingSlime posted:

I was surprised at how easy the Twin Princes were actually. At first yeah they seemed impossible but Lorian is actually piss easy to dodge once you get his timings down, and Lothric's threats can be mitigated by the ever-reliable "don't stop moving" technique.

Seriously, I dedicated my second playthrough to beating the bosses by myself the "right way" and there were a few unpleasent surprises, but the Twin Princes were not one of them.

Who were? My internet cut out and I had to solo twin princes and Gundyr. Lot's a frustration to remind me why I don't solo bosses out of habit, but those two are particularly cool to fight without them getting distracted

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Between the camera fuckups and the extremely wonky hitboxes on the Twin Princes (seriously they're way worse than anything in DS2) they're probably my least favorite boss in the game to actually fight, though I think the concept is pretty neat.

The hitbox on Sacred Lothric Light can kiss my rear end. My least favorite boss is definitely Old Demon King, however, because of how obnoxiously repetitive and dull the fight is and how badly his gigantic body clips with the camera, even without locking on.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
When I fought Twin Princes on my latest character I discovered that the crow quills r1 penetrates through Lorian and hit Lothric as well. Easiest fight ever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://puu.sh/swTvG/c09ddb12f7.webm

Here is the actual reason to use the crow quills. They are so broken that From tried to fix them in the last patch so you can't do this anymore and it straight up didn't work.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

From the front? drat that's great. Butt shots get them with anything so having a phantom is crazy good against them.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Pointiff and Dancer were especially tricky, mostly cuz it took me forever to get their patterns down. I was also playing a spellsword kinda build, and I think it's during this stretch where my build was especially gimped. Aldritch wasn't terrible, but definitely more annoying than I remembered.

Aside from those two, most bosses were pleasently easy to learn and lock down. I still died a lot, of course.

Also, Soul of Cinder is hard. He moves so fast and has a ton of stuff that I still need to memorize.

E: Gundyr was super fun, dodging his bullshit felt natural. At that point I had solid damage output though, which may or may not have contributed to my enjoyment of the fight.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 28, 2016

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's taken me three games before I did a caestus run and man I'm loving it. Stunlocking the Abyss watchers in a corner and punching them until they die feels great. I was already a fan of Perseverance too.

Any of the other fist weapons any good? I'd like some damage type variety. There's like three slash/bleed ones though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I thought the Princes were really fair, I don't remember finding the teleportation bullshit or anything like that. I actually really enjoyed the fight, I even liked watching the cutscene halfway through.

CJacobs posted:

http://puu.sh/swTvG/c09ddb12f7.webm

Here is the actual reason to use the crow quills. They are so broken that From tried to fix them in the last patch so you can't do this anymore and it straight up didn't work.

That is some serious bullshit.

I love it.