Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

DarkSol posted:

We need some Ijon Tichy sci-fi comedy movies.

There was also a German TV show that ran for two seasons. No idea if it's any good. I watched the first episode, and it was kind of charming in a really bad sci-fi sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

It still kinda bugs me that the Assassin's Creed tagline is literally the title of the first Jojo opening.

Sono chi no sadame, AssAss

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I actually sort of liked The Congress. The animated parts much much more than the live action parts.

Mr. Squishy posted:

What, are you kidding? You stab the Pope in one of them!

Yeah but not really due to religious reasons. I haven't played the Pope one but I assume it's the one where you are playing a presumably Catholic Italian nobleman so you're probably loving up the pope because he's a jerk/templar. Unlike the first game where you are a member of a group whose main goal was to strike terror into the heart of the enemies of their interpretation of Islam. Which included a couple of Caliphs.

Historical assassins would get as close to their target as they could. Kill them and then just lay down their weapons and allow whoever rushed in to kill them. That level of devotion was very scary to their enemies. Which would make a pretty good basis for a roguelike game. Infiltrate a fortress or palace, find the target and kill them. If you fail it doesn't matter because you're only one of many expandable young men.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

I actually sort of liked The Congress. The animated parts much much more than the live action parts.

Yeah but not really due to religious reasons. I haven't played the Pope one but I assume it's the one where you are playing a presumably Catholic Italian nobleman so you're probably loving up the pope because he's a jerk/templar. Unlike the first game where you are a member of a group whose main goal was to strike terror into the heart of the enemies of their interpretation of Islam. Which included a couple of Caliphs.

I believe that one is you're fighting the Medicis or the Borgias, who are in with the Templars.

Historical assassins would get as close to their target as they could. Kill them and then just lay down their weapons and allow whoever rushed in to kill them. That level of devotion was very scary to their enemies. Which would make a pretty good basis for a roguelike game. Infiltrate a fortress or palace, find the target and kill them. If you fail it doesn't matter because you're only one of many expandable young men.
[/quote]

Yeah, you're essentially a human cruise missile. All that training and resources put into a single unit to accomplish one thing: killing the target. Anything else is irrelevant.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

There was a short story about this in the Press Start To Play anthology, appropriately called "Roguelike" by Marc Laidlaw. It's a pretty fun anthology of fiction overall.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Young Freud posted:

I believe that one is you're fighting the Medicis or the Borgias, who are in with the Templars.

Yeah, you're essentially a human cruise missile. All that training and resources put into a single unit to accomplish one thing: killing the target. Anything else is irrelevant.
[/quote]

It the Borgia you are fighting, with the pope being Alexander VI.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Went to a Larry Cohen double feature last night and they were promoting this new Cohen doc coming out with this poster. I'm a huge Cohen fan so I'm pretty hyped.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

What, are you kidding? You stab the Pope in one of them!

And that pope outright states that he doesn't believe in God:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
drat guess the pope was the real mr robot all along

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alhazred posted:

And that pope outright states that he doesn't believe in God:

I think it's safe to say Rodrigo Borgia was not a pious man.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Lol I didn't know the pope was glowing and you were duking it out in a space arena. Anyway, poster for a Tony Conrad doc

striking!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Actually that is in the Vatican but it is over a hidden alien computer. Borgia is glowing because he's an endgame boss.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Assassin's Creed is a series where Henry Ford gave Hitler magic space mind-control powers because of how much he hated the Jews. Said space mind-control powers are also responsible for Rasputin and Gandhi, and John F Kennedy was assassinated to steal that power from him. After Nikola Tesla faked his death and defected to the Nazis the nuclear bomb was invented as a way of destroying ancient alien artifacts, like the one Tesla stole all his ideas from. Just like Leonardo DaVinci.

Hitler also faked his death with a body double at the Führerbunker but killed literally five minutes later when he stepped outside of it, foiling his attempt to reunite with his secret ally and collaborator Winston Churchill.

Everything about the mythos of Assassin's Creed is hilarious and offensive on some level, the religious stuff is just the tip of the iceberg.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Assassin's Creed is a series where Henry Ford gave Hitler magic space mind-control powers because of how much he hated the Jews.

I honestly wouldn't put it past him.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Stalin was one of the good guy Assassins

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Stalin was one of the good guy Assassins

No, he wasn't: http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Joseph_Stalin

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think it's safe to say Rodrigo Borgia was not a pious man.
He was a hero though, unfairly maligned by racist Italians mad about a foreigner taking their job.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Assassin's Creed is a series where Henry Ford gave Hitler magic space mind-control powers because of how much he hated the Jews. Said space mind-control powers are also responsible for Rasputin and Gandhi, and John F Kennedy was assassinated to steal that power from him. After Nikola Tesla faked his death and defected to the Nazis the nuclear bomb was invented as a way of destroying ancient alien artifacts, like the one Tesla stole all his ideas from. Just like Leonardo DaVinci.

Hitler also faked his death with a body double at the Führerbunker but killed literally five minutes later when he stepped outside of it, foiling his attempt to reunite with his secret ally and collaborator Winston Churchill.

Everything about the mythos of Assassin's Creed is hilarious and offensive on some level, the religious stuff is just the tip of the iceberg.

Leonardo was legit, he's your buddy and comes up with a bunch of stuff on his own.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you miss the button prompt to hug Leo, you're a bad person.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Never mind, these games are bad again.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

If you miss the button prompt to hug Leo, you're a bad person.

:smith: I know...

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I played very little Assassin's Creed, and I remember reading the wiki article about Templars and thinking it's the stupidest thing ever.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

lol:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Star Wars: Rogue One, a film by Eli Roth.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
A rebellion built on ho's and pee.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I can't quite articulate why, but having a Star Wars poster on a white background just looks wrong.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

"What happened to the Background Layer, Carl? You know what, forget it, I don't want to know. I have to send the PSD files to the printers in 5 minutes."

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Gorilla Salad posted:

I can't quite articulate why, but having a Star Wars poster on a white background just looks wrong.
It's like it's all happening on Hoth.

Also:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Palpek posted:

It's like it's all happening on Hoth.

Also:

A movie about a rogue squadron of gungans would seriously be the most epic idea for a Star Wars sequel

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

I kinda like them precisely because they look different than most Star Wars posters.

Does anyone know how to poster thing works when you go to an IMAX? Is it random?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Force Awakens had a different one each week or something. I remember people trying to trade.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think those ones are UK only, I might be wrong though. Also I like them, they're the first actually competent Rogue One posters I've seen.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The droid is all like: Dude, why are you walking like that?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Those would be great if they were painted instead of photo collages. Every Star Wars movie has had a painted poster, I'm not sure why they aren't doing it for this one.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This movie, and so its posters, are different from the main series. I guess you could call it, heh, a rogue one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't even have a title crawl.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

No, it will, but the text will come from the top of the screen.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guy Goodbody posted:

Those would be great if they were painted instead of photo collages. Every Star Wars movie has had a painted poster, I'm not sure why they aren't doing it for this one.

Maybe Drew Struzman got sick of painting lasers and cashing enormous checks.
He probably wanted to focus on his horrible, horrible original work.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mierenneuker posted:

The droid is all like: Dude, why are you walking like that?

Maybe it's his costume. The costumes look 99.9% on point in the trailers for everyone else, but Riz's costume looks like he's a cosplayer who wandered onto set one day for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe Drew Struzman got sick of painting lasers and cashing enormous checks.
He probably wanted to focus on his horrible, horrible original work.
He did admit in that Drew documentary one of the reasons he went into retirement was the marketing behind posters had changed so dramatically that he was pretty constrained creatively as everything had to be in ratio with the billing; i.e lead actor must be X% size in proportion to the rest.

Not to say that wasn't the case back in the 70's and there have been some interesting poster debates where the billing had to get creatively arranged to wrangle out actor's demands, such as The Towering Inferno.