Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Gearhead posted:

My basic understanding is that IJN are slightly inferior in setting fires but better at sneaking up on things.
Better at sneaking up on things, better alpha, and they get 10km torps very early on. Not saying the Russians are worse, but I'd say IJN is a bit more generalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
This is embarrassing since I'm halfway through the Ryujo already and my fighters are trite novelties: how does one strafe?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

This is embarrassing since I'm halfway through the Ryujo already and my fighters are trite novelties: how does one strafe?

Press alt, like doing a manual torp drop. If you can catch multiple flights of planes flying in a straight line it can wipe them all out.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

rex rabidorum vires posted:

CVs are where your soul goes to die isn't it? Also is WTR kind of like WN8 or is it actually a fairly decent metric?

The calculation is open source so you can see for yourself, but in my opinion it's generally accurate for predicting whether or not a player will pull his weight in the match.

https://na.warships.today/help/warships_today_rating

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Getting better at the Hosho. Today I strafed my own torpedo bombers because they were getting mauled by the enemy fighters and it felt great. Death to enemy fighters.

Also, I rebought the North Carolina on wdarkk's recommendation and it is cool and good. The Iowa I found frustrating but this boat is OK.

Guy Innagorillasuit
Jul 24, 2009

Bye bye, Izyaslav, I'll miss the way you shat out wave after wave of torps. I was right that my first game in it was the best I'd have, but I got close a few games before I traded it in for a Gnevny.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CVs are where your soul goes to die isn't it? Also is WTR kind of like WN8 or is it actually a fairly decent metric?

It seems ok to me I think. My BB/DD WTR's are ~1200 and Cruiser ~900 which checks out as i'm garbage in cruisers. It doesn't mean someone is good but it probably means they're not clinically dead with a rating >1000

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Pretty much any time I see someone do something spectacularly stupid they turn out to be ~700 WTR or below so that seems a decent indicator at least. Like the Amagi on my team last night who blocked me from launching torpedoes at an Atago and Bismarck as they rounded an island blind, by reversing out in front of them so we both got killed.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR
I finally unlocked the new anime ship thing, the atago clone. How in the world do i play this thing? It handles so differently then the aoba/pensacola/koingberg, which are my other high teir cruisers. Do i spam HE at battle ships?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

evil_cheese posted:

I finally unlocked the new anime ship thing, the atago clone. How in the world do i play this thing? It handles so differently then the aoba/pensacola/koingberg, which are my other high teir cruisers. Do i spam HE at battle ships?

Angle and rain HE on battleships, to be honest i have also had more consistent results at most ranges firing HE at everything in that ship, AP does get results at medium to close range on cruisers though.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

evil_cheese posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUrTnhIzuBg

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

evil_cheese posted:

It has 10 point something detection with the concealment mod and 9 point something with the mod and Concealment Expert.

Rain fire on poo poo until you start getting shot at, then engage your Cloaking Device (read: stop shooting), reposition, and do it again.

HE is best on most things outside of 12-13km, but inside that range you'll find yourself getting sick chances to obliterate enemy cruisers who will constantly show you broadside (since they don't know you're there). The AP is sicknasty and will pen a lot of poo poo.

Within 10km you also have the option of obliterating people with torps as well as citadels. The torp launchers have great angles unlike the Aoba/Myoko/Mogami.

Your armor is good enough if you're angled, and It has Repair Party as the cherry on top. Avoid getting lit up by BB citadels and the survivability is fantastic.

The only real weakness is the crap AA. You can take Defensive Fire if you find yourself getting bombed a lot but mostly it's just a nuisance. I prefer Hydro since I play aggressively in it, and because you have such good concealment, you'll often find yourself surprising DDs who will panic and drop all their torps and smoke.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Aramoro posted:

Press alt, like doing a manual torp drop. If you can catch multiple flights of planes flying in a straight line it can wipe them all out.

Yep, and I'm terrible at it (as I am with manual torp drops). It seems like the other player can always catch my planes in a strafe, but my planes can't catch theirs. It's annoying as hell to be in a Saipan and have the other guy wipe out all your fighters.

Then again, I am bad at CVs.

The good news is: I finally finished the CV mission. I've got no idea why I did this to myself for 1mil credits and some free camo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Yep, and I'm terrible at it (as I am with manual torp drops). It seems like the other player can always catch my planes in a strafe, but my planes can't catch theirs. It's annoying as hell to be in a Saipan and have the other guy wipe out all your fighters.

Then again, I am bad at CVs.

The good news is: I finally finished the CV mission. I've got no idea why I did this to myself for 1mil credits and some free camo.

I was bad in my Hosho then I watched the Eurobeat video and now my Hosho k/d ratio is 4.2 and I'm a terror of the seas.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I recommend watching flamu's zuiho videos if you want to get better at CV's, it's a disgustingly powerful sealclubber in the right hands

evil_cheese posted:

The Atago can do everything. You have almost as many and as good torps as a DD, your 203mm HE does a ton of damage and sets a lot of fires and the AP does good damage to broadside things at all ranges. It's an amazing brawler because of the powerful guns, decent armor (vs cruisers, when angled), decent turn rate and great torpedo arcs (but watch out for the turret traverse, it's slow and some of the turret arcs aren't great, plus #3 is mounted backwards). It's an amazing stealth bullshit ship because of the 9.1km concealment (with module, captain perk and camo paint - guess you don't get that last one on the anime version). It's surprisingly tanky because it has a heal.

Want to contest caps? Go for it, you can outbrawl basically every cruiser at T8 and your HE does absolutely disgusting damage to DD's at short range (I've hit a Fubuki for over 8000 damage). For best results buddy up with a RN cruiser or a US DD for that delicious smoke. Want to hide behind an island and spam HE? Sure, you're great at it. Want to stealth torp? You can! You also do 35 knots easily so you can run away from most stuff if you want and people are usually a bit leery about chasing you because your stern torpedoes are nothing to joke about.

The big thing about the Atago is that it can basically take on any other ship class 1v1 in a straight out duel and have a reasonable chance of winning. It's what every cruiser wishes it could be. Just don't show broadside and you should mostly be fine (but neither your face nor your butt are particularly tanky - you can and will get citadelled from both the front and the back, so showing a little bit of angled side is usually better than straight front, if you have to take fire from a BB).

Watch Flamu's videos, he's an Atago-whisperer and capable of some amazing bullshit in it. Don't expect to be able to do what he does, but there's plenty of cool tricks, good positions and general helpful stuff you can pick up from him.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 28, 2016

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

New thread title found. Paging mods.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I lost synch in that game, my repair ability went into cooldown without repairing anything, after an Ibuki started like 4 fires and wrecked my Hipper for nearly half its HP with a single HE salvo, and then I got to watch torpedoes pass through other ships without exploding with the eye in the sky. Client's still broken.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

NTRabbit posted:

I lost synch in that game, my repair ability went into cooldown without repairing anything, after an Ibuki started like 4 fires and wrecked my Hipper for nearly half its HP with a single HE salvo, and then I got to watch torpedoes pass through other ships without exploding with the eye in the sky. Client's still broken.

Okay, but what did your team do wrong?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ice Fist posted:

Okay, but what did your team do wrong?

It would have been explained if he'd pasted the next line :colbert:

Previous battle featured a sniping Bayern, a Yorck giving point blank broadsides to an Amagi, a suicidal Prinz Eugen, a north Carolina that got into a reversing battle with a Gneisenau, an Independence who forgot he had bombers in the air, which meant the capping DD that just drifted out of its smoke almost right underneath them was able to reverse back in and win the game. You know, the usual stuff.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
I had a game like that Saturday morning. Team decides on A-B, I'm the top tier BB (Iowa). Team splits to A and B with one cruiser and DD deciding to go C anyway. Most of the enemy team goes B-C with the majority of their BB at B, so I decide to support at B and asked a cruiser or DD to help screen me from the C side so a DD can't sneak up on me from that side (this request was ignored). Both nerds that went C promptly die and then whine about not having support. Meanwhile, I'm holding back the tide at B while waiting for the rest of the team to move through A and wheel around to help, but instead they spot a DD heading for them at A and apparently decided they were allergic to being shot and didn't push A. Queue 5 minutes of me asking them to actually fight while they all literally move back behind me in a cluster and try to snipe at everything. I burn down, team folds like a house of cards. Good loving game.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

wow, the mods work really fast

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Man the Anshan is really good. It moves very quickly, the guns hit pretty well, and the longer range torps can do some work if the other team is dumb or you position well. Haven't played the Blys or Lo yet, but the both look my jam as well. Having a slightly tougher time with the Dunk. Keep positioning poorly and getting nuked/team collapses and then I die.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Are random potatoes still in control of SEAMN?

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Man the Anshan is really good. It moves very quickly, the guns hit pretty well, and the longer range torps can do some work if the other team is dumb or you position well. Haven't played the Blys or Lo yet, but the both look my jam as well. Having a slightly tougher time with the Dunk. Keep positioning poorly and getting nuked/team collapses and then I die.

I play the Dunk like I do the NC and the Iowa, a lot of angling/bow-on fighting and controlling my throttle so I don't overextend. Granted I only recently hit my stride in the Iowa, but that seems to have been mostly a case of me being too aggressive. Dunk has quickly turned into one of my favorite ships, and I can basically print credits with it.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Vengarr posted:

Are random potatoes still in control of SEAMN?

That depends on who you're calling potato.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

NTRabbit posted:

I got to watch torpedoes pass through other ships without exploding with the eye in the sky. Client's still broken.

This exact thing happened to me multiple times the other night. I figure it was due to playing on my work PC(i7, no graphics card), so I uninstalled it there and play it on my gaming PC now and it's fine.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Thundercakes posted:

I play the Dunk like I do the NC and the Iowa, a lot of angling/bow-on fighting and controlling my throttle so I don't overextend. Granted I only recently hit my stride in the Iowa, but that seems to have been mostly a case of me being too aggressive. Dunk has quickly turned into one of my favorite ships, and I can basically print credits with it.

Getting in too deep seems to be my big issue. Anyways it took 19 games of slightly above average Langley play to finish that poo poo. CVs are worse than WoT arty.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Getting in too deep seems to be my big issue. Anyways it took 19 games of slightly above average Langley play to finish that poo poo. CVs are worse than WoT arty.

It gets better. The Langley is a horrible, horrible carrier.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dalael posted:

It gets better. The Langley is a horrible, horrible carrier.

This is absolutely wrong. It's very unforgiving for learning carriers because the speed of the planes is low + you don't have many replacement planes to lose making mistakes. But holy moly is it amazing if you know what you're doing.

Langley and Zuiho are the two best non-premium CVs in the game, IMO. Hosho is third.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Most people forget that the dunk should never turn around to run away unless there is a smoke cloud or an island to do it. Instead, just throw it into reverse while keeping the nose pointed at the enemies.

As also said, she should never be the lead ship. She is better as a second line assaulter. Kind of like tank destroyers in WoT.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Vengarr posted:

This is absolutely wrong. It's very unforgiving for learning carriers because the speed of the planes is low + you don't have many replacement planes to lose making mistakes. But holy moly is it amazing if you know what you're doing.

Langley and Zuiho are the two best non-premium CVs in the game, IMO. Hosho is third.

The ship is slow, the planes are slow. You don't have much hangar space and have low HP. but the ship's amazing, am I right? riiiight?

The Langley sucks. The bogue is probably just as bad.
I don't remember the Hosho much tho, so I can't really say anything about it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dalael posted:

The ship is slow, the planes are slow. You don't have much hangar space and have low HP. but the ship's amazing, am I right? riiiight?

You're up against garbage tier 3-4-5 AA so as long as you don't get strafed or suicide into a Texas the planes aren't a problem. Having low HP is also not a problem. The planes are slow, but so are the ships--they do their jobs fine.

git gud

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Vengarr posted:

You're up against garbage tier 3-4-5 AA so as long as you don't get strafed or suicide into a Texas the planes aren't a problem. Having low HP is also not a problem. The planes are slow, but so are the ships--they do their jobs fine.

git gud

So in other words, what you're saying is" The Langley isn't good, but it faces little opposition."

So I rest my case.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dalael posted:

This is so hilariously wrong I'm not entirely sure what to say. Well-played, a Bogue utterly stomps enemy ships and planes (well, it did when it wasn't getting uptiered into T7 every other match, but that massively effects Zuiho as well. gently caress you again, WG) - the problem is most pubbies are clueless how to use it. The strike config is utter poo poo, and the AS config isn't much better, but in the pubbies minds more is better so they go for them all the time. The trick is that if you're decent with CVs and have good situational awareness and analysis, the 1/1/0 stock configuration is absolutely murderous against its same tier competition, and still decent against T6. With the 1/1/0 your hangar size is decent for the match so long as you aren't being careless. Both the 3 squadron configurations easily run into trouble with plane count though, which is another reason I dislike them.

And who gives a gently caress if the Langley has a small hangar? It goes up against practically no AA whatsoever, so as long as you're not being a moron and letting your bombers get strafed you're generally going to be good for most to all of the match. Personally I'd prefer if they stripped the DB squadron off it again, for the same reasons I don't want a third squadron on Bogue, but it's much less of a concern given you also see far less AA.

Langley and Hosho are both incredibly good, because the only real threat they have to their planes are the enemy CVs - well, and the odd Yubari, but just don't be dumb enough to fly over one. The battleships they see also tend to be slow and have poor handling, along with generally having less experienced players, so if someone isn't capable of doing well with either ship, the problem is with them, not the ship.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Yeah, and the Minekaze is only good because it's tier 5. It's poo poo compared to the Gearing.

Tiers and matchups matter bigly and are integral to whether a ship is good or not. Like, I would say the Hiryuu is one of the best CVs in the game, but then the Saipan came out. Now you're fighting Saipans every other game and getting dunked repeatedly because the Saipan is OP. The ship is the same, but it's no longer nearly as good.

Matchups matter most of all to carriers because you're typically going 1v1 vs another carrier. Langley crushes Hosho 1v1, and if you're up against another Langley it's purely about skill.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 29, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Dalael posted:

So in other words, what you're saying is" The Langley isn't good, but it faces little opposition."

Ships being not good but because the rest of their tier can't handle them so therefore they are actually great bothers you?

Edit: Also don't really have much to offer this CV discussion. I played like three games in the Langley and knew then that I personally hated CV play.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Lord Koth posted:

This is so hilariously wrong I'm not entirely sure what to say. Well-played, a Bogue utterly stomps enemy ships and planes (well, it did when it wasn't getting uptiered into T7 every other match, but that massively effects Zuiho as well. gently caress you again, WG) - the problem is most pubbies are clueless how to use it. The strike config is utter poo poo, and the AS config isn't much better, but in the pubbies minds more is better so they go for them all the time. The trick is that if you're decent with CVs and have good situational awareness and analysis, the 1/1/0 stock configuration is absolutely murderous against its same tier competition, and still decent against T6. With the 1/1/0 your hangar size is decent for the match so long as you aren't being careless. Both the 3 squadron configurations easily run into trouble with plane count though, which is another reason I dislike them.

And who gives a gently caress if the Langley has a small hangar? It goes up against practically no AA whatsoever, so as long as you're not being a moron and letting your bombers get strafed you're generally going to be good for most to all of the match. Personally I'd prefer if they stripped the DB squadron off it again, for the same reasons I don't want a third squadron on Bogue, but it's much less of a concern given you also see far less AA.

Langley and Hosho are both incredibly good, because the only real threat they have to their planes are the enemy CVs - well, and the odd Yubari, but just don't be dumb enough to fly over one. The battleships they see also tend to be slow and have poor handling, along with generally having less experienced players, so if someone isn't capable of doing well with either ship, the problem is with them, not the ship.

If you go by this site: https://na.warships.today/vehicles

and check all carriers, you will notice that the Bogue has one of the lowest Win/Rate and lowest average damage of ALL carriers. Just look it up. The bogue sucks.

Tier 4
Langley: 2 172 091 Battles, WR of 47.78 and average dmg of 23 812 with a K/D of 0.9
Hosho: 1 109 573 battles, with a WR of 52.40%, average dmg of 37 311 and a K/D of 2.0

Tier 5
Bogue: 1 764 321 Battles, WR 47.50%, average dmg of 19 794 and K/D ratio of 0.7
Zuiho: 998 781 Battles. WR of 53.08%, average damage of 40 795 and a K/D of 2.2

Tier 6
Independance: 1 106 706 Battles, 47.94% WR, average dmg of 26 971 and 1.4 K/D
Ryujo: 749 237 battles, 52.31% WR, 40 143 average dmg and a K/D of 1.4

Tier 7
Saipan: 156 563 battles, WR of 54.10%, average dmg of 44 873 and K/D of 3.2
Hiryu: 520 875 battles, WR of 52.42%, average dmg of 48 257 and 3.2 K/D
Ranger: 771 730 battles, WR of 47.35% with average dmg of 38 986 and 1.7 K/D

I will let you bother to check the rest. My point stands, the langley and bogue are loving awful. The only thing that redeems them, is the fact other ships have crap AA at those tiers. It doesn't change the fact that they suck.

Here's the logic you're trying to apply, in very ridiculous terms: A person is strong, because he can beat up a 5 year old.
Its not that the person is strong, its that the 5 year old kid is loving helpless.

E: We can argue that poo poo all day, but if there is one thing those stats prove beyond a doubt tho, is the superiority of IJN carriers.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 29, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Congrats, you've discovered Warships.today, and are capable of mindlessly copying stats without bothering to try and decipher the reason behind said disparity whatsoever.

You did see in my post where I specifically called out that most pubbies go for either the AS or strike Bogue, instead of stock, right? Or, more specifically, most pubbies play the loving AS Bogue, which does absolutely poo poo for damage, followed by the strike Bogue, which has no way of stopping enemy CV strikes or interrupting enemy fighters attacking their own planes and lacks the hangar capacity to do one way strikes the way the Ranger and up can do (and their DBs have poo poo bombs compared to Ranger+ as well, making dumping your fighter for them an even worse trade).

So wow, you're capable of regurgitating random stats you found which are wildly influenced by the preferred loadout dumbass pubbies take. Congratulations. Amazingly, when most people play the version of the ship that has virtually no damage-dealing capability whatsoever, and effectively no way of influencing the actual surface battle, it massively drags the average damage and W/R stats of the ship down. Imagine that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Lord Koth posted:

Congrats, you've discovered Warships.today, and are capable of mindlessly copying stats without bothering to try and decipher the reason behind said disparity whatsoever.

You did see in my post where I specifically called out that most pubbies go for either the AS or strike Bogue, instead of stock, right? Or, more specifically, most pubbies play the loving AS Bogue, which does absolutely poo poo for damage, followed by the strike Bogue, which has no way of stopping enemy CV strikes or interrupting enemy fighters attacking their own planes and lacks the hangar capacity to do one way strikes the way the Ranger and up can do (and their DBs have poo poo bombs compared to Ranger+ as well, making dumping your fighter for them an even worse trade).

So wow, you're capable of regurgitating random stats you found which are wildly influenced by the preferred loadout dumbass pubbies take. Congratulations. Amazingly, when most people play the version of the ship that has virtually no damage-dealing capability whatsoever, and effectively no way of influencing the actual surface battle, it massively drags the average damage and W/R stats of the ship down. Imagine that.

"Lets unskew the polls!" works as well in politics as "Lets unskew the stats!" in world of warship.

Often enough, higher tier CV also use strike or AS loadout, when they could keep stock and have more damage opportunity. The bogue has the same loadouts as all the carriers after it. People pretty much use the same loadouts as they did when using the bogue.

But sure, lets base how good a ship is on the few people who are extremely good with it and disregard the millions of battles from the average player.
You're basically saying that we should all compare ourselves to Usain Bolt because if he can run that fast, then its clear proof we should all be able to run like him.

But right... maybe we should try and figure out why he can run that fast, right?