Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Those both have exactly the wrong gimmicks :mad:

EDIT: I do appreciate that Triggerhappy still has his giant cowboy boots, at least.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I know that the answer is "They make all the money" but I still don't understand how we're getting a fifth Bayformers. These are the things I think about on a beautiful Sunday afternoon while a kitten tries to eat my face.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Orv posted:

I know that the answer is "They make all the money" but I still don't understand how we're getting a fifth Bayformers. These are the things I think about on a beautiful Sunday afternoon while a kitten tries to eat my face.

I'm just gonna quietly sit here thinking that the only out and out bad film of the bunch is the second one and that the other three so far have been perfectly good summer blockbusters.

*Sighs* It's not easy being a Bayformers fan.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Clearly we need Platinum to do a TMNT game to make up for the awful movies.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Clearly we need Platinum to do a TMNT game to make up for the awful movies.

They did a TMNT game.

It sucked.

And not like Legend of Korra sucked, where it was a fun budget priced game that wasn't up to Platinum's highest standards in some regards. I mean it just sucked.

I know. I have trouble believing it too.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Orv posted:

Hasbro seems to have a lot less control over the property in Hollywood than you'd expect. Probably they set up the contract with a lot of control given over to the studios so they could get the movies made in the first place, and didn't foresee them becoming what they have.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

chiasaur11 posted:

They did a TMNT game.

It sucked.

And not like Legend of Korra sucked, where it was a fun budget priced game that wasn't up to Platinum's highest standards in some regards. I mean it just sucked.

I know. I have trouble believing it too.

That's sad to hear. :(

Orv
May 4, 2011

GoneRampant posted:

I'm just gonna quietly sit here thinking that the only out and out bad film of the bunch is the second one and that the other three so far have been perfectly good summer blockbusters.

I will now squarely lay the blame at your feet for all of it.

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
Clearly the only game Platinum NEEDS to make is a Gundam game.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Hankosha posted:

I demand the entire idea get subverted so we get Zeta Gundam instead of G Gundam like everyone would expect just so that the final button mash charge-up sequence is summoning all the naked psychic ghost projections of all the dead women (and Katz).

It's too bad we'll likely not see a Kamen Rider game cause the current series is about doctors who fight against viruses (and each other) with the power of video games and that would be ridiculously meta and also right up Platinum's alley. Then again it's only like 8 episodes old and might suck later so eyyyyyy maybe not.

GoneRampant posted:

I just can't get into what I've seen of it. I think it might be more a personal exhaustion with blockbusters to the point that the only movie that's really gotten me out into cinemas for the better part of a decade was Pacific Rim. I just look at the Bayformers stuff and my brain doesn't recognise it. It's weird.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Hankosha posted:

Do the Gundam Breaker or Dynasty Warriors Gundam route, and just make it crisis of infinite Gundams. Like, start using the Zeta,get through a stage based on the series, but surprise! The boss is the loving Banshee, and since it has an I-field Generator you're stuck with just using head vulcans and grenades. Do or take about 20% damage and cue cutscene where you're getting your rear end kicked with the music being some sort of enemy winning intimidating tracks, when suddenly the Astray Red Frame Powered cuts in, and suddenly you're playing something more like revengance, just with potential Shining Finger alikes and a 150 meter katana as your super move.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
WH40k: Space Marine 2, by Platinum :colbert:

Maybe a Dark Eldar game where you play as a Harlequin would be more their style, but I really, really liked Space Marine

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

Do the Gundam Breaker or Dynasty Warriors Gundam route, and just make it crisis of infinite Gundams. Like, start using the Zeta,get through a stage based on the series, but surprise! The boss is the loving Banshee, and since it has an I-field Generator you're stuck with just using head vulcans and grenades. Do or take about 20% damage and cue cutscene where you're getting your rear end kicked with the music being some sort of enemy winning intimidating tracks, when suddenly the Astray Red Frame Powered cuts in, and suddenly you're playing something more like revengance, just with potential Shining Finger alikes and a 150 meter katana as your super move.

I would play this game.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Ashsaber posted:

You're a loving genius.
Would it be 1st or 3rd person though? What really rustles my jimmies is the thought of a 1st person Gundam game.
No I don't know how that would work

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sjs00 posted:

You're a loving genius.
Would it be 1st or 3rd person though? What really rustles my jimmies is the thought of a 1st person Gundam game.
No I don't know how that would work

There was some Gundam side story game on the Dreamcast that was 1st person, actually.

I vaguely remember it being... passable? Though short and you were basically generic soldiers in bargain bin MS.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Other thoughts on a potential Platinum Gundam Multiverse game:

The Frost Brothers have kidnapped a Puru/are working with an evil Newtype and now have the Satellite Cannon. As you do the boss refight and barely avoid dying to giant death beams the world around you gets absolutely hosed up. Put this with one of the big colony sized weapons and you can have a double setpiece battle.
There are so many suits and potential allies that most are unfortunately relegated to support attacks, but you can bring a squad of like 4-6 per mission that you can summon in at nearly any time to help your combos.
00 Raiser shoots out understanding particles to stop the fighting, yay... Except Scirocco and Full Frontal (and maybe the Frost Brothers) are so against it that their anti-undertanding negates it, so you still need to go off and beat all the bosses/areas.
Final boss is a combination of the Turn X, Devil Gundam and... uh... Neo Zeong, or something? with Gym Ghingham (who is absolutely loving this poo poo) at the controls. Strap it to another one of the many colony sized weapons in the various Gundam series and you have a loving terrifying final boss.

gently caress, I dunno. I'm actually not the biggest fan, I haven't actually watched a series through, but it may work.

As for the game at hand, I was too young to grow up on Gen 1 transformers, but Beast Wars was the poo poo when I was a kid. I don't think I really saw any of Gen 1 until the internet became a big thing and I watched the movie online. So I really enjoy Coolguye and Roboky discussing all the weird poo poo that went down before my time.

E: oh, also special bonus scenario: Dozle Zabi in his Zaku II vs. the Unicorn Gundam, to make sure that his daughter's choice in boys is appropriate. You control Dozle.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 29, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Ashsaber posted:

Other thoughts on a potential Platinum Gundam Multiverse game:

The Frost Brothers have kidnapped a Puru/are working with an evil Newtype and now have the Satellite Cannon. As you do the boss refight and barely avoid dying to giant death beams the world around you gets absolutely hosed up. Put this with one of the big colony sized weapons and you can have a double setpiece battle.
There are so many suits and potential allies that most are unfortunately relegated to support attacks, but you can bring a squad of like 4-6 per mission that you can summon in at nearly any time to help your combos.
00 Raiser shoots out understanding particles to stop the fighting, yay... Except Scirocco and Full Frontal (and maybe the Frost Brothers) are so against it that their anti-undertanding negates it, so you still need to go off and beat all the bosses/areas.
Final boss is a combination of the Turn X, Devil Gundam and... uh... Neo Zeong, or something? with Gym Ghingham (who is absolutely loving this poo poo) at the controls. Strap it to another one of the many colony sized weapons in the various Gundam series and you have a loving terrifying final boss.
E: oh, also special bonus scenario: Dozle Zabi in his Zaku II vs. the Unicorn Gundam, to make sure that his daughter's choice in boys is appropriate. You control Dozle.

I'd play the gently caress outta that. Especially if there's a scene where Jesus Yamato shows up and is all like "EVERYONE STOP FIGHTING! :downs: *Whale noise*" then tries to do his Ultimate Pacifism poo poo,only for everyone,villains included, to all gang up on him. That could be a playable end credits sequence,actually.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

VolticSurge posted:

I'd play the gently caress outta that. Especially if there's a scene where Jesus Yamato shows up and is all like "EVERYONE STOP FIGHTING! :downs: *Whale noise*" then tries to do his Ultimate Pacifism poo poo,only for everyone,villains included, to all gang up on him. That could be a playable end credits sequence,actually.

I was thinking recurring midboss. Because holy poo poo, this fucker just dropped into combat between (protagonist team) and (really vile genocidal villain) and shot both sides, letting the bad guy escape and suddenly you're dealing with a jacked up Gundam because of it. And of course, Kira is like a cockroach, and just won't stay dead, so the recurring part. Eventually he joins up because Sunrise protagonist supreme, but no-one really trusts him and everyone makes that clear.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

I was thinking recurring midboss. Because holy poo poo, this fucker just dropped into combat between (protagonist team) and (really vile genocidal villain) and shot both sides, letting the bad guy escape and suddenly you're dealing with a jacked up Gundam because of it. And of course, Kira is like a cockroach, and just won't stay dead, so the recurring part. Eventually he joins up because Sunrise protagonist supreme, but no-one really trusts him and everyone makes that clear.

Maybe make a running gag how every time he "dies" it's more impossible to survive. Like the first time it's just beam saber to the cockpit,second time it's being perforated with beam fire like that scene in Robocop,third time it's God Finger+Heat End,etc. And eventually everyone's like "OH COME ON!"

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
You guys are absolutely slaying :holy:
How about Attack on Titan by Platinum?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Sjs00 posted:

You guys are absolutely slaying :holy:
How about Attack on Titan by Platinum?

Just ask any dev for this year's games for their wallriding and grappling mechanics (Titanfall, Overwatch, some COD, whatever) and slap Metal Gear Rising's sword physics over it. Bam, your mechanics are done.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Zomborgon posted:

Just ask any dev for this year's games for their wallriding and grappling mechanics (Titanfall, Overwatch, some COD, whatever) and slap Metal Gear Rising's sword physics over it. Bam, your mechanics are done.

Agree, but what about the grappling hooks?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Section Z posted:

There was some Gundam side story game on the Dreamcast that was 1st person, actually.

I vaguely remember it being... passable? Though short and you were basically generic soldiers in bargain bin MS.

From the Ashes. You started in a GM (The gruntiest of Feddie grunts) and upgraded to the Guncannon MP and finally to a custom GM Sniper II (On paper, a better machine than the Gundam). You lead a three man team of federation regulars. Much more grounded than most Gundam plots. Sure, Zeon had a superweapon, but that's just how Zeon rolls.

I'd want Iron Blooded Orphans suits in a platinum game, if we're looking at the whole franchise. Physical weapons have a kick beams don't, and the whole gimmick for the protagonists there is that their nanomachines let them directly link into their suits, making them much more agile than their opponents. Figure Mikazuki would be a good fit for Platinum's fluid combat styles.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

From the Ashes. You started in a GM (The gruntiest of Feddie grunts) and upgraded to the Guncannon MP and finally to a custom GM Sniper II (On paper, a better machine than the Gundam). You lead a three man team of federation regulars. Much more grounded than most Gundam plots. Sure, Zeon had a superweapon, but that's just how Zeon rolls.

Yeah I actually had that game, but have long since forgotten most of the finer details ("Beam paint gun? What?")

Though a quick quick check says the Zeon superweapon was essentially, trying to cause the ending to Sam and Max Hit the Road.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Section Z posted:

Yeah I actually had that game, but have long since forgotten most of the finer details ("Beam paint gun? What?")

Though a quick quick check says the Zeon superweapon was essentially, trying to cause the ending to Sam and Max Hit the Road.

There were also the Blue Destiny games on the Saturn

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sjs00 posted:

Agree, but what about the grappling hooks?

Titanfall already has grappling hooks that you can use to jump on top of giant robots, presumably titans of the flesh variety would also work fine.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Door Frame posted:

WH40k: Space Marine 2, by Platinum :colbert:

Maybe a Dark Eldar game where you play as a Harlequin would be more their style, but I really, really liked Space Marine

being the dancing space assholes that Harlequinns are would perfectly fit Platinum's stye.

Or with how most gamers play - an Eversor assassin. Go in, kill everything, get transported to the next level.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Veloxyll posted:

being the dancing space assholes that Harlequinns are would perfectly fit Platinum's stye.

Or with how most gamers play - an Eversor assassin. Go in, kill everything, get transported to the next level.

With their weird webway shenanigans, it's basically just Bayonetta redux, but with more pretense and less joy

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I just can't get into what I've seen of it. I think it might be more a personal exhaustion with blockbusters to the point that the only movie that's really gotten me out into cinemas for the better part of a decade was Pacific Rim. I just look at the Bayformers stuff and my brain doesn't recognise it. It's weird.

Watch with the perspective that Megatron is the good guy. Or read those threads by
Terry van Feleday's in Cinema Discussio. One of those threads has a PDF in it that's got all of it, too, if you don't want to go post by post. However you feel about them on the whole, you at least gotta watch the robot punching parts, because they're loving gorgeous. Especially in the third movie.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Pacific Rim.

Speaking of things that need the Platinum treatment... :allears:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Are you all on drugs?

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

SpookyLizard posted:

Watch with the perspective that Megatron is the good guy. Or read those threads by
Terry van Feleday's in Cinema Discussio. One of those threads has a PDF in it that's got all of it, too, if you don't want to go post by post. However you feel about them on the whole, you at least gotta watch the robot punching parts, because they're loving gorgeous. Especially in the third movie.

The movies are godawful, but read these threads. It's an interesting take.

Orv posted:

Are you all on drugs?

Obviously.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Orv posted:

Are you all on drugs?

What's better than mixing Platinum with Explosions?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Orv posted:

Are you all on drugs?

Platinum games do weird things to your brain.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was more talking about the Gundam word soup.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Orv posted:

Everybody just wants every IP to be subsumed into Hyrule Warriors. Is that so bad?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Oh, that's the combo we were missing. Platinum Zelda game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Everybody just wants every IP to be subsumed into Hyrule Warriors. Is that so bad?

I mean Zelda is bad, so yes?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Orv posted:

Are you all on drugs?

Orv posted:

It's actually surprisingly easy to parse in your skull if you've ever read a Super Robot Wars synopsis.

In the end it doesn't really matter cause the underlying theme of Gundam is that exposure to space makes you magically retarded so having no idea what the gently caress is going on for the most part is entirely an acceptable audience response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's actually surprisingly easy to parse in your skull if you've ever read a Super Robot Wars synopsis.

In the end it doesn't really matter cause the underlying theme of Gundam is that exposure to space makes you magically retarded so having no idea what the gently caress is going on for the most part is entirely an acceptable audience response.

Depends on the series.

For example, G Gundam has the underlying theme that every problem can be solved by punching hell of suckers in the mouth and telling chicks straight up that you like them, while Iron Blooded Orphans is about how child soldiers will brutally murder you and feel nothing.

• Locked thread