Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm very pro-NATO/West, but I think Turkey and Erdogan can go to hell, and NATO should just take the loss. Turkey is slowly edging or surpassing Russia with respect to atrocities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lockheed Martin sure would like to sell them the glorious F-35.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Sinteres posted:

They're integral to the project and make part of the plane.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thug Lessons posted:

Appropriate since the plane itself is a loving turkey, but the center fuselage is also produced by Northrop Grumman.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sinteres posted:

I'm on board with this. It'll bring money into American coffers and disrupt the Turkish bombing campaign.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Runaktla posted:

I'm very pro-NATO/West, but I think Turkey and Erdogan can go to hell, and NATO should just take the loss. Turkey is slowly edging or surpassing Russia with respect to atrocities.
Does the rules of NATO even allow other members to kick a member state out?

Sinteres posted:

Appropriate since the plane itself is a loving turkey, but the center fuselage is also produced by Northrop Grumman.
Well on the upside it would give the US another excuse to shitcan that train wreck of a project.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Does the rules of NATO even allow other members to kick a member state out?

The rules of NATO don't allow them to attack any state without UN authorization, a rule they've casually disregarded since the day it was signed, so no but it doesn't matter at all.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Runaktla posted:

they surpassed Russia a hundred years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_genocide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_genocide

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Are we not counting Soviet crimes as Russian?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

If we're going to play the murder olympics I have bad news about Russia during the 20's to 40's even if ever person killed during the Holodomor was just a mishap of misplacing the groceries.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Why don't we kick Germany out too?

Also Croatia. They have a hard time admitting their Jew killing past.

Commander that assadists love in Al-Quds was killed today in Aleppo.

https://twitter.com/MIG29_/status/802905138688102400

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Are we not counting Soviet crimes as Russian?

Bip Roberts posted:

If we're going to play the murder olympics I have bad news about Russia during the 20's to 40's even if ever person killed during the Holodomor was just a mishap of misplacing the groceries.

The Holodomor and collectivization deaths aren't universally regarded as a genocide/directed at the Ukrainian ethnicity, though it was still obviously bad. More directly comparable are the various minor genocides and ethnic cleansings of Turkic peoples like the Crimean Tatars, Chechens and Circassians, but those weren't on the same scale as the Young Turk genocide.

Bottom line is Turkey is in fact in the same league as Russia for historical atrocities, regardless of nitpicking as to who exactly was worse. If you're just waking up to the contradictions of the US being allied to such a power you've missed a whole lot

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

rear end struggle posted:

Why don't we kick Germany out too?

Well, the German government doesn't spend millions of dollars a year funding genocide denial and apologia, and isn't actively sponsoring racist lynch mobs and waging a genocide-flavored war against domestic minorities at home

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
we should kick out america

they EAT turkey on their genocide day

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

The Holodomor and collectivization deaths aren't universally regarded as a genocide/directed at the Ukrainian ethnicity, though it was still obviously bad. More directly comparable are the various minor genocides and ethnic cleansings of Turkic peoples like the Crimean Tatars, Chechens and Circassians, but those weren't on the same scale as the Young Turk genocide.

Bottom line is Turkey is in fact in the same league as Russia for historical atrocities, regardless of nitpicking as to who exactly was worse. If you're just waking up to the contradictions of the US being allied to such a power you've missed a whole lot

Yeah, I'm saying even if you're going full tankie and declaring the Holodomor a-okay Russia murdered upward of seven million people through the Gulag system and mass killing of political dissidents.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah, I'm saying even if you're going full tankie and declaring the Holodomor a-okay Russia murdered upward of seven million people through the Gulag system and mass killing of political dissidents.

Yeah, and the guy in the original post was saying how shocked he was that Turkey would stoop to Russian levels of humanitarian atrocities

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Well, the German government doesn't spend millions of dollars a year funding genocide denial and apologia, and isn't actively sponsoring racist lynch mobs and waging a genocide-flavored war against domestic minorities at home

Yeah Germany's pretty much the best case scenario of a country that feels guilty and tries to atone for its crimes, even after the boot was removed from its neck. There's a reason Merkel opened the doors to refugees when it wasn't a popular thing to do, though ironically that humanitarian gesture may have killed the liberal project in Europe.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

:cripes:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Sinteres posted:

Yeah Germany's pretty much the best case scenario of a country that feels guilty and tries to atone for its crimes, even after the boot was removed from its neck. There's a reason Merkel opened the doors to refugees when it wasn't a popular thing to do, though ironically that humanitarian gesture may have killed the liberal project in Europe.

Can Germans stop making GBS threads on themselves now? I would love to see the day they can reasonably look back on their history and review their lovely videogame rating system.

Merkel's move was obviously a major reason why Brexit happened, though people were already getting their news from the wrong sources anyway, but it's not like Merkel was not to blame. Now Turkey is in a position to to threaten her with the refugee problem.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

uncleKitchener posted:

Can Germans stop making GBS threads on themselves now? I would love to see the day they can reasonably look back on their history and review their lovely videogame rating system.

Wait what did video games do?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

uncleKitchener posted:

Can Germans stop making GBS threads on themselves now?

You won't like the results

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I thought Germans were into that sort of them?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Bip Roberts posted:

Wait what did video games do?

If they could stop banning and censoring videogames, it would make them actually look normal. Pretty sure there are still games out there from the 90s that are still banned in Germany, knowing their rating system.

Sergg posted:

You won't like the results

I'm sure they'll be a jolly and nice bunch of fellows.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Friendly Humour posted:

Because it's poo poo and confusing and only contains a chaotic list of clashes and nothing about why they happened, or why they lead to open war instead of being resolved, or about how the leadership of the verious parties reacted, or who ordered them, or anything that might allow me to understand what the bloody hell happened..

It's kind of tiring reviewing basic issues that have been rehashed dozens of times in this thread and on which there are numerous statements by all the major parties available in many articles, documentaries, and news reports, but here it goes.

The YPG has never assisted the FSA or any other manifestation of the opposition in the project of overthrowing the Assad government. Nothing "happened" really, they've just always pursued different goals and when those goals conflict they fight. Things are just worse now because the opposition is more desperate.

The root of the problem is that the YPG wants Kurdish autonomy, and at least early in the war, the rebels weren't willing to grant that concession. Maybe official stances have changed but by now enmity is deeply set and policy already implemented. For details on how things stood in 2012 you can review this report.

http://www.understandingwar.org/sites/default/files/Backgrounder_SyrianKurds.pdf

quote:

The PYD has been explicitly hostile towards the SNC from its inception, and its rise to dominance in Syria’s Kurdish areas in the summer of 2012 elevated that conflict to the fore. When the PYD assumed control of Kurdish territories, Sieda denounced the PYD as having “their own agenda which does not serve the Syrian national issue.”14 Syrian Muslim Brotherhood leader Riad al-Shaqfa was more blunt, stating in September, “We clearly oppose the ambitions of establishing a Kurdish entity in Syria.”15

On the ground, Arab rebel groups have largely stayed away from Kurdish-majority areas. The Kurdish regions have by and large been peaceful throughout the uprising, and they have generally remained so since the regime withdrawal in mid-July. PYD leadership has repeatedly warned the Free Syrian Army (FSA) not to intrude onto Kurdish territory and has viewed warily the formation of new FSA battalions in Hasakah province.16 The FSA, with more important battles to wage elsewhere in Syria, has generally heeded this warning in practice while at the same time refusing to concede to it in principle. Riad Asaad, the FSA’s nominal head, rejected the possibility of federalism in an interview in August 2012, saying, “In Syria, there are no Kurdish or Sunni regions. It is all Syrian land. We find it necessary to be present in all regions of Syria.”17 Such statements indicate that relations between Syria’s Kurds and the Arab opposition remain tenuous.

The YPG avoided entering Arab majority regions until ISIS became a serious threat and Coalition air support made it much easier. Their multiethnic confederalism was a tactical necessity rather than the culmination of any wider aims to free the Arabs from centralized despotism. Frankly they had good reason to be mistrustful, the claims of national unity made by the opposition sounded disturbingly similar to those of mid-20th century Arab-nationalists whose policies were often cruel and hostile towards sectarian minorities.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Breakingnews.com reports that northern part of rebel held Aleppo fell to govt. forces.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Thug Lessons posted:

Everyone in Europe who uses an F-35 will have to send them to Turkey for engine maintenance.
http://aviationweek.com/defense/italy-turkey-selected-f-35-mro-work-europe

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I thought Germans were into that sort of them?

Definitely so

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
The notion that the PYD is repressive while the KDP is not is loving hilarious. Barzani runs a tight camp, he just has a conciliatory attitude towards Turkey because he's a massive corrupt sellout.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Seems Assad split and cut off the rebel sections of aleppo of from each other.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-38128370

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Everyone in Europe who uses an F-35 will have to send them to Turkey for engine maintenance.
It's still not too late to buy Gripen instead. :grin:

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Don't know how true this is but it makes sense for the rebels to flee to the south when they were at risk of getting cut off. Reports are that SAA has taken the entirety of northern Aleppo now.

https://twitter.com/watanisy/status/803187661787820036

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

It's still not too late to buy Gripen instead. :grin:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gripen, named after its competitor.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Saudi Arabia wanted to get observer status in the Francophonie, their demand was rejected, or rather the decision to grant or deny it was postponed to 2018.

(South Korea's demand was accepted, however. I'm not sure they had a better claim of historic and cultural ties to the French language, but they were less controversial for some reason. Also got in Ontario, Argentina, and New Caledonia, all of which makes a lot more sense IMO.)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Definitely so

The F-35 is a thing of beauty. :discourse:

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Some FSA groups are saving themselves by retreating to Sheikh Maqsud.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Darkman Fanpage posted:

The F-35 is a thing of beauty. :discourse:

Lockheed Martin contractor account spotted

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Cat Mattress posted:

Saudi Arabia wanted to get observer status in the Francophonie, their demand was rejected, or rather the decision to grant or deny it was postponed to 2018.

(South Korea's demand was accepted, however. I'm not sure they had a better claim of historic and cultural ties to the French language, but they were less controversial for some reason. Also got in Ontario, Argentina, and New Caledonia, all of which makes a lot more sense IMO.)

Honestly, neither of these make sense, but I guess the French liked the logical nature of the Korean language. Sure as hell easier to understand that Arabic.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Glad the Republic of Ontario is getting recognition

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

MikeCrotch posted:

Lockheed Martin contractor account spotted

Darkman Fanpage

Checks out

Adbot