Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I'm pretty sure that Russia doesn't actually intend to build most of the poo poo they announce. Mostly they are just trying to goad the US into spending more and more money on fewer and fewer items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Sperglord posted:

A Mach 3 non-afterburning engine with 1,000 nm and a stealthy airframe becomes a hugely appealing first strike weapon.

Against a modern IADS, I'm not so sure. A monolithic airbreather at mach 3 is nothing to sneeze at, but it's also been within the bailiwick of SAMs for a long time. It's no mach 20 warhead hiding in a forest of penaids.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Captain von Trapp posted:

Against a modern IADS, I'm not so sure. A monolithic airbreather at mach 3 is nothing to sneeze at, but it's also been within the bailiwick of SAMs for a long time. It's no mach 20 warhead hiding in a forest of penaids.

You can make a Mach 3 cruise missile low-observable. A Mach 20 warhead isn't and the launch platform definitely is not low observable. Mach 3 will get you through the defended zone quick enough to only absorb a few missiles, unlike the JASSM which will have to slow-boat through the period of vulnerability.

Of course, a hypersonic glider flies at relatively low altitudes, so that becomes a first strike weapon too. But it'll cost more than a Mach 3 cruise missile.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Murgos posted:

I'm pretty sure that Russia doesn't actually intend to build most of the poo poo they announce. Mostly they are just trying to goad the US into spending more and more money on fewer and fewer items.

It's like the 1980s, but the reverse.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

Only the ones that matter (the boats)

Also since it briefly came up; The Russian submarine force has a rough time trying to deploy for any length of time, and just stop and laugh at China. China is catching up fast and the injection of their own version of the Russian Kilos gives them a fair diesel fleet for operations in their local waters.

Isn't like 80% of the Russian sub fleet just rusting in port at this point? Hell, look at the Kursk.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I've never gotten the sense that anyone other than video game developers takes Russian wunderwaffe announcements seriously.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I think the issue with the increased proliferation of such cruise missiles isn't that the technology doesn't exist to detect and destroy them, it just isn't deployed in anything like sufficient quantities around any powers respective heartland, and would probably be cost prohibitive to do so.

Providing close in anti high speed, low altitude cruise missile defense for an airbase or a tank battalion in the field is totally a done thing. Providing such coverage for, say, the eastern seaboard is not.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

TsarZiedonis posted:

I think the issue with the increased proliferation of such cruise missiles isn't that the technology doesn't exist to detect and destroy them, it just isn't deployed in anything like sufficient quantities around any powers respective heartland, and would probably be cost prohibitive to do so.

Providing close in anti high speed, low altitude cruise missile defense for an airbase or a tank battalion in the field is totally a done thing. Providing such coverage for, say, the eastern seaboard is not.

This is exactly the problem, at least for the US.

IIRC, Russia has some anti-cruise missile defense around Moscow. But, those defense would give the Russians 2 - 5 minutes warning, before a Mach 3 missile detonates overhead.

Lastly, this is not at all a case of a Russian wunderwaffe, Russians can build submarines, albeit in limited numbers, and Russians have demonstrated their land attack cruise missiles in combat. Both of those give a nice first strike capability for an attack sub operating off the US East / West coast.

For Russia, the US can have Mach 3 stealthy missiles fired from a stealthy bomber. The bomber can get within launch range of Russian missile fields undetected and then first-strike land-based TELs.

All in all, this is properly speaking a large jump in strike capability on both sides.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

TsarZiedonis posted:

As you state though its a totally doable thing if the need arises. Its very very unlikely it would though.

If, 10 years from now, we had an imminent threat and a few years warning we could probably cobble together a JLENS-like program that actually protects the coast. Like if "your dirty commie country here" relations went south and they really truly were going to bomb us within the next 180 days and they had managed to cobble together a bomber/cruise missile force that wasn't a one way trip for them...Each coast is ~2000 miles and the radar horizon is ~160 miles at 10kft (Wikipedia J-Lens height) so you'd need about 13 of them. It'd be hilariously expensive but doable if there was a real threat.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The explosion of precision low observable vehicles has made area defense unworkable. You can't deploy enough missile interceptors. At the same time doctrine has no need to target population centers. High accuracy MIRVs made that irrelevant. In the 70s we aimed for big targets. In the Information Age the targets are thousands of scattered military assets the closest of those to population centers would be heavy manufacturing. The offense/defense balance is almost 100% in favor of offense and retaliation via MAD is the only defense.

Moscow doesn't need missile defense because nuking the kremlin would just be teabagging a dead opponent, since everything they could possibly use would have been made crispy. Decaptitation is also not really a useful strategy because while you may have "removed" true command structure the retaliatory assets are still in place.

So you would somehow have to invest in ABM and cruise missile interception at all your nuclear sites, which is a huge investment that is likely to have only partial reliability at best.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
For me, the worry isn't so much about strategic nuclear exchanges with the Russians. So long as the Ohio class boats exist, deterrence exists. It's about how this technology is becoming obtainable by smaller and smaller powers, many of whom seem interested in challenging us dominance of their region in New and exciting ways.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
No small power can challenge the US rationally. What they can do is threaten the US be a far as foreign policy goes even a single nuclear strike on US soil is unnacceptable. The North Koreians and the Iranians would be the ones to attempt to put their handful of weapons into a metro area like NYC. In a modern strategic war nuking NYC would be counter productive. Tiny countries don't have the resources to do anything but threaten the tactical decision of striking a population center.

While that ability would allow small countries leverage to be aggressive in their local area threatening the US like that is liable to be fatal.

Which leaves what North Korea is doing, threatening their neighbors South Korea and Japan. While the US isn't directly threatened a nuclear strike on Seoul or Tokyo would also be a global nightmare. US 'dominance' of the region is still only contested by china, but the DPRK is in a position to do their own thing with nothing but a slap on the wrist.

DPRK is like a honey badger; Unable to truly harm you, but scratches and bites hurt, and it don't give a gently caress.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You don't need to attack the USA to challenge their dominance of your region, you just need to make them think attacking you would be too costly to be worth it. Having a strong IADS capable of shooting down stealth aircraft and cruise missiles with enough range to deter carrier battle groups from moving close enough to be practical against you is what you need; the ability to incinerate New York City in nuclear fire isn't.

The nuclear fire option is if you want to challenge the US dominance of the whole world.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Sperglord posted:

Lastly, this is not at all a case of a Russian wunderwaffe, Russians can build submarines, albeit in limited numbers, and Russians have demonstrated their land attack cruise missiles in combat. Both of those give a nice first strike capability for an attack sub operating off the US East / West coast.

For Russia, the US can have Mach 3 stealthy missiles fired from a stealthy bomber. The bomber can get within launch range of Russian missile fields undetected and then first-strike land-based TELs.

All in all, this is properly speaking a large jump in strike capability on both sides.
I don't think your first point is new at all. I think that's the same cold war scenario that's existed since the 1950's. Russian subs a few minutes missile range from the US eastern seaboard. Until Russia demonstrates stealthy cruise missiles deployed in quantity that are capable of penetrating deep enough into US Airspace to be a credible threat of decapitating our retaliatory capability before we can alert and launch it's just the same old same old. Additionally, even that is countered by the classical cold war deterrents of a healthy SSBN fleet and numerous airbases scattered world wide.

The second one is absolutely a concern for Russia, particularly with their missile subs mostly confined to dry dock (or shadowed by US SSNs the moment they get out). What exacerbates the issue in Russia's PoV is the US's demonstrated ABM capability because that means our first strike doesn't need to be 100%, it can be moderately porous and still limit US loses to 'acceptable' levels (acceptable in a McNamara/LeMay sense, probably still 10's of millions of casualties).

Oddly, the thing that gets people all jumpy lately, Conventional Prompt Global Strike, is pretty much worthless as a first strike weapon as it relies on relatively easily detected ICBM/SLBM launches and easily tracked sub orbital trajectories for 3/4ths of it's flight. I guess the fear there would be that we would disguise a nuclear first strike as a conventional strike against some lovely target in Afghanistan? Eh, I don't see it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Murgos posted:

Oddly, the thing that gets people all jumpy lately, Conventional Prompt Global Strike, is pretty much worthless as a first strike weapon as it relies on relatively easily detected ICBM/SLBM launches and easily tracked sub orbital trajectories for 3/4ths of it's flight. I guess the fear there would be that we would disguise a nuclear first strike as a conventional strike against some lovely target in Afghanistan? Eh, I don't see it.

There's a question of volume. If you tell the UN "don't worry, we're just gonna blow up a Taliban Toyota that's moving towards Kabul" and then launch a couple hundred ICBMs, nobody's going to check their trajectory before going in WW3 mode. And inversely, if you launch only one missile to make a believable Taliban disguise, then you're not going to make enough damage to hope to cripple anyone with that first strike. No, not even for a first strike against North Korea.

Also, here are some exclusive pictures of the Japanese two-seater F-35 variant, undergoing taxi trials.

:v:

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 28, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Still better looking and more functional than that Iranian abortion

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The Enlarged wing area is going to be a real benefit to its performance.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As a plus it now appears to work in wet weather.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Murgos posted:

Very true on the old SSBN patrols off eastern Seaboard.

For the hypersonic glider, if you look at the article below, the discuss it's advantage. Basically, as long as you don't have space-based early warning, the glider will stay below the radar horizon until ~7 minutes before impact. A ballistic missile will rise above the radar horizon ~20 minutes before impact.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08929882.2015.1087242

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

What exacerbates the issue in Russia's PoV is the US's demonstrated ABM capability

huh?

Anyway the biggest reason US/NATO are pursuing high speed LO cruise missiles isn't for some nuclear decapitation strike, it is to give us a viable means of suppressing or destroying 4th generation ground based air defenses. Right now we're relying on 70's-era anti radiation missiles and short range subsonic LO air launched standoff weapons, neither of which would do well against a platform like an S-400. The idea is coupling a high speed atmospheric/aerodynamic penetrator with a fancy new ballistic system and perhaps at that point we'll have caught up to the Russians and Chinese when it comes to SEAD.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

If we have the ability to defend against a Russian retaliatory strike, we have an advantage that tips the balance upon which MAD relies.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

bewbies posted:

huh?

Anyway the biggest reason US/NATO are pursuing high speed LO cruise missiles isn't for some nuclear decapitation strike, it is to give us a viable means of suppressing or destroying 4th generation ground based air defenses. Right now we're relying on 70's-era anti radiation missiles and short range subsonic LO air launched standoff weapons, neither of which would do well against a platform like an S-400. The idea is coupling a high speed atmospheric/aerodynamic penetrator with a fancy new ballistic system and perhaps at that point we'll have caught up to the Russians and Chinese when it comes to SEAD.

Boost glide and/or ramjets gives you all the SEAD you'll need. A Mach 3 turbojet is built for long range strategic strike.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

bewbies posted:

huh?

Maybe you shouldn't have cancelled Tacit Rainbow back in the day, i'm sure we can sell you a few ALARMs :smug: :britain:

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

we can sell you a few ALARMs :smug: :britain:

You can't since you don't have them anymore :britain:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

If we have the ability to defend against a Russian retaliatory strike, we have an advantage that tips the balance upon which MAD relies.

Well yeah, but we have no such capability was my point

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
We have demonstrated the capability.

Whether we have the ability to actually defend against a real attack of any size is besides the point when it comes to political maneuvering.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Do you have a van in need of some spraypainting?

Here come Alice Bruderer's "aerosaurs" to your rescue.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We have not demonstrated the capability to intercept a single ICBM that has even a primitive penetration aid, let alone a modern Russian or Chinese missile. And the ability to intercept a pure ballistic unitary missile is at best...sketchy.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Cat Mattress posted:

Here come Alice Bruderer's "aerosaurs" to your rescue.

I don't think I should be getting boat estrus flashbacks. :cripes:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Gepard-lizard is my fav

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

bewbies posted:

We have not demonstrated the capability to intercept a single ICBM that has even a primitive penetration aid, let alone a modern Russian or Chinese missile. And the ability to intercept a pure ballistic unitary missile is at best...sketchy.

Never mind.

Sperglord fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 28, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
RCAF CF-18 crashed near Cold Lake, no word on pilot yet.

Update: pilot killed

priznat fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 28, 2016

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

bewbies posted:

So, you're saying we've demonstrated an ABM capability?

e: What I am saying is that even with the limited demos we've been able to pull off over the last 10-15 years Russia is having panic attacks and throwing hissie fits at arms reduction talks. Reasonably so because a real ABM capability is an end to MAD.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 28, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

So, you're saying we've demonstrated an ABM capability?

e: What I am saying is that even with the limited demos we've been able to pull off over the last 10-15 years Russia is having panic attacks and throwing hissie fits at arms reduction talks. Reasonably so because a real ABM capability is an end to MAD.

"an ABM capability" is about as useful an assessment as "an airplane". we can shoot down old SCUDS all day long but pretty much anything built by a peer competitor after about 2005, or anything that shoots more than about 2000 km, outmatches anything we have on the ground today or in the foreseeable future.

Your point about Russias posturing well taken, but it is only posturing, and not based on any realistic assessment of our capability. neither we nor they are within several decades of producing a system that is capable of defeating intercontinental structured attacks by missiles with penetration aids. That is what it would take to end MAD, and not much less.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Cat Mattress posted:

You don't need to attack the USA to challenge their dominance of your region, you just need to make them think attacking you would be too costly to be worth it. Having a strong IADS capable of shooting down stealth aircraft and cruise missiles with enough range to deter carrier battle groups from moving close enough to be practical against you is what you need; the ability to incinerate New York City in nuclear fire isn't.

The nuclear fire option is if you want to challenge the US dominance of the whole world.

No minor player is close to having IADS of that caliber unless they buy it wholesale. This requires effort on the order of buying whole S-400 systems or equivalent, and in meaningful numbers to actually deter. Anti-US deterrence is currently based on the effective DoD doctrine that even single losses are PR nightmares and must be avoided. Even then, our older anti-radiation missiles can overcome and destroy the system in volume before we have to send any manned aircraft into the area.

Sperglord posted:

Basically, as long as you don't have space-based early warning,

So everyone that matters?

bewbies posted:

"an ABM capability" is about as useful an assessment as "an airplane". we can shoot down old SCUDS all day long but pretty much anything built by a peer competitor after about 2005, or anything that shoots more than about 2000 km, outmatches anything we have on the ground today or in the foreseeable future.

Your point about Russias posturing well taken, but it is only posturing, and not based on any realistic assessment of our capability. neither we nor they are within several decades of producing a system that is capable of defeating intercontinental structured attacks by missiles with penetration aids. That is what it would take to end MAD, and not much less.

However Russia's strategic capabilities are outdated and continue to be so. Our visible progress on ABM, however slight, further puts their aging nuclear deterrent to shame. Even the RS-28 is an incremental improvement and still years away from full deployment.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Cat Mattress posted:

Apropos of nothing, this was my fortune at lunch today:

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Aren't there interceptors in Alaska capable of hitting a handful of ICBMs?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

bewbies posted:

Are Israel's Arrow 3 missiles capable of this?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

M_Gargantua posted:

However Russia's strategic capabilities are outdated and continue to be so. Our visible progress on ABM, however slight, further puts their aging nuclear deterrent to shame. Even the RS-28 is an incremental improvement and still years away from full deployment.

Huh? How advanced and modern does an ICBM need to be for it to not be put to shame by what is at best a marginal anti-ICBM capability? If Russia scrapped the RS-28 and just continued to rely on decades-old SS-18s, SS-25s, how does that make their arsenal even the slightest bit less threatening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gervasius posted:

You can't since you don't have them anymore :britain:

lol hoist by my own petard I guess.

Maybe we can bum a few off the Saudis if we really need them again.