Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

botany posted:

This was not a rhetorical question by the way. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff here, or maybe got something wrong. Does anyone have a full list?

Do we still have advisors in the Southern Philippines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

botany posted:

"Might as well not pass any laws ever then" agrees congress.

I do agree we should justify abstract, long-term concerns by lying about their concrete, short-term consequences.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

HannibalBarca posted:

Do we still have advisors in the Southern Philippines?

If we're counting SOCOM troops operating black sites or training people, we're looking more than 100 countries easily. (link) I was only going for active warfare, so regular drone strikes, bombing runs, ground engagements etc.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

That's a lot of Street Judges.

TOTENBERG: Justice Thomas them announced he would exile himself into the wasteland with a copy of the United States code

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/NewDay/status/803211840960360448

I'm not sure we're capable of understanding projection at these levels.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/803004457978040320

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He has had an untold number of intelligence briefings from Putin. That guy probably knows more than us anyway.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trump wanted information about war, so he googled "info" and "wars" and that's how he found out that Clinton rigged the popular vote.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I'll bet he calls Roger Stone every morning to find out what's up in the world.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He probably had the Red Phone rewired so it connects to Alex Jones' Doom Bunker

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Slate/status/803158910039257088

:suicide:

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Condiv posted:

What the holy gently caress is Obama doing? Why is he expanding war powers with trump incoming?

Lol!!! Look at you ignorant fools. Obama has embraced every Bush era policy I was on the street protesting about 10 years ago. Expanding illegal war powers and restricting our freedoms. Obama is a centrist funded by bankers and big oil. Can you please get it now?

botany posted:

This was not a rhetorical question by the way. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff here, or maybe got something wrong. Does anyone have a full list?
I'm pretty sure we're up close to 20 countries now but it's hard to find official numbers.

Trump has more of a chance of rolling back the drone war than Clinton would have, she was supported by Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE etc who all want to see more drone strikes and more weapons in the middle east.

People are so stupid, it used to be that Republicans voted against they're interests all the time, liberals are giving them a run for their money nowadays christ.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

From my perspective the dems are fighting with sticks and rocks while the republicans have just figured out muskets. The dems need to step up their game and learn from the bullshit that has been dealt to them.

The problem is that most of the rules of Congress are unwritten, unenforceable elements of tradition that the elites on both sides held their members to for the sake of mutual convenience and functioning government. When the Republicans got an influx of members who rejected the party establishment and were willing to resist the control of leadership, and the GOP leadership proved themselves too spineless to keep their extremists in check for fear of angering the base, all those rules and customs were just smoke in the wind. poo poo like this was inevitable from the moment they publicly declared Rush loving Limbaugh to have more say in leading the GOP than the actual party leaders. The one and only rule of Calvinball is that you don't let assholes play.

Condiv posted:

What the holy gently caress is Obama doing? Why is he expanding war powers with trump incoming?

Might as well ask the scorpion why he stings even when he knows it will doom him.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Drone strikes are good. Since we started using them civilian and troop casualties have sunk significantly. With our drone strikes many less innocent people and less American troops are being killed than before.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
It's almost like Obama isn't a liberal

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

greatn posted:

Drone strikes are good. Since we started using them civilian and troop casualties have sunk significantly. With our drone strikes many less innocent people and less American troops are being killed than before.

I'm probably going to inadvertently summon The Iron Rose here, but the problem people have with this isn't the actual usage of drones. Drone warfare is still warfare and expanding the number of countries that we're using them in by executive fiat is not super great. The only thing this really says about drones specifically is that the cynics were right: they apparently make us far more accepting of military force than we otherwise would be.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

cravius posted:

It's almost like Obama isn't a liberal

Or maybe he is some new form of liberal.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

greatn posted:

do you think its an option to not do things that cause casualties at all

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

NathanScottPhillips posted:

People are so stupid, it used to be that Republicans voted against they're interests all the time, liberals are giving them a run for their money nowadays christ.

I voted against the VP who wants to loving murder me, man, that takes priority.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Swan Oat posted:

Not if we want to maintain the hegemony of the American Empire!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

withak posted:

A nuevo liberal?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

withak posted:

Neo-Liberalism has nothing to do with drone policy. It is an economic theory.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
All these so called progressives just itching to call Obama the n word

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Alt-lib

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

mcvey posted:

Alt-lib

"gimme a noun, a verb and your financial independence"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Swan Oat posted:

In this world? Not really, no, unless you're one of the poor fuckers getting casualtied.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Naw, it means "a liberal I disagree with."

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
If there's another Benghazi type event what's the likelihood of congressional hearings?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Rip Testes posted:

If there's another Benghazi type event what's the likelihood of congressional hearings?

With a republican president? Zero.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rip Testes posted:

250+ Marines died in a car bombing of their barracks in Beirut during Reagan's administration. Nothing really happened with that other than the military withdrawing from Lebanon.

So no, nothing

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Mister Adequate posted:

In this world? Not really, no, unless you're one of the poor fuckers getting casualtied.

are you saying that the only way for america to not be a murderous empire, is for america itself to be murdered?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Now Trump is floating Petraeus as SoS which would be perfect considering he was charged with providing classified information to his reporter mistress.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Well no corporation is going to build new factories in territory still held by ISIS

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Swan Oat posted:

No.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
By opening the front against Shabab, Obama is able to pre-empt and therefore place some sort of control via enacted plans by the Pentagon on the situation prior to Trump taking the helm. You guys are dumb as gently caress if you don't think Trump couldn't do this and do it in his own special way if Obama didn't.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Reports of an active shooter on OSU campus, possibly 7 people shot so far. Here we go again. :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oklahoma or Ohio state?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

greatn posted:

Oklahoma or Ohio state?

Ohio State

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Swan Oat posted:

are you saying that the only way for america to not be a murderous empire, is for america itself to be murdered?

Sure, but that just means even more casualties happen as various second-stringers and regional powers squabble and fight to fill the "murderous empire" vacancy. Humanity is its own worst enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Really angling for that playoff spot.

• Locked thread