Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Phantasium posted:

Her work is always good, frankly.

She kinda played it too safe with her Tetris Type-A remix for Smash, but then again it was because it was so easy to listen to that I would always pick it over Takada's Type-B remix, which I like only recently in the last few years finally came to have an appreciation for.

To this day nobody dares remix Type-C for some reason. It is seemingly the cursed Type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Her Radiant Historia stuff is fantastic, especially given that she was working with the Nintendo DS sound chip. That's a game that deserves to be played with headphones.

Normal battle theme
One of the boss themes
Another boss theme

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jay Rust posted:

Why does Tetsura Nomura get main screen billing?
Those zipperbelts don't affix themselves

Harrow posted:

It's going to be a real struggle not to buy FFXV until January, but there's really no reason for me to buy it now.
Redbox my man, rent it for a weekend and then if you get it as a gift later it's still a pleasant surprise

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Probably gonna pick up FF15 at midnight for my wife, then end up playing it myself and making my backlog even deeper.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Tetris B from Smash sounds like a Russian folk band having a drunken party, and that is awesome.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Late to the Mega Man chat but I think all of the main games are at least pretty good. They certainly never reached the lows of the X series, though I am apparently the only one that seems to like V if only for Gravity Man's stage.

Also, the person earlier that's playing through MM2 and picked Metal Man first: you picked correctly. The Metal Blade is the best subweapon in Mega Man history and I don't think I realized it until I played it in the Anniversary collection, making me feel really dumb. I know it's against how most people play to use a Subweapon outside of specific situations but the Metal Blade can basically replace your mega buster. It's powerful, can shoot in 8 directions with no range limit, it barely takes up any weapon energy (the amount dropped will more than make up for it) and even does good damage to some bosses that aren't weak to it. It's annoying to look back at all the time I spent with that game knowing how much smoother of a time I could have had if I just equipped that thing at all times.

Bad Seafood posted:

Picked up Odin Sphere Leifthrasir since it was on sale and wow, they really took out all the stops.

I am now up to Velvet's story and the game is just so good through and through. It'sw amazing how they took a character that was hard as hell to play in the original (Velvet) and pretty much made her into Kratos.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone played Unravel/is it good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I felt like it was a very cute/beautiful game bogged down by trial and error jumping puzzles and an unclear direction of where to go and unclear gameplay mechanics. You might want to have Youtube playthrough up for parts where you get stuck.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Unravel is cute but not particularly great. The puzzles are overly simple and it's pretty predictable as an Indie Game in terms of flow and tone.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

Tetris B from Smash sounds like a Russian folk band having a drunken party, and that is awesome.
The band you're looking for is Gogol Bordello.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Finally got a chance to put Castlevania III in my NES this weekend. Still adjusting to NES difficulty, but I'm having a really good time with it.

My sole Steam Sale purchase was Crypt of the Necrodancer, which I've somehow already poured 15 hours into. What a great game. Made it to the end of Zone 4 once, but lost my nerve at the end....

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Castlevania III was really good after how much of a disaster Castlevania II was. The biggest improvement just being the art direction. Even during the NES days, art direction was super important and helped a lot with the basic visuals of those games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Late to the Mega Man chat but I think all of the main games are at least pretty good. They certainly never reached the lows of the X series, though I am apparently the only one that seems to like V if only for Gravity Man's stage.

Gravity Man's stage is the poo poo and always the first stage I pick.

Crystal Man's nebulous falling crystal over pit bullshit can go gently caress itself, however.

Not a Children posted:

Finally got a chance to put Castlevania III in my NES this weekend. Still adjusting to NES difficulty, but I'm having a really good time with it.

If it's your first time don't go through the swamp first as that leads to the more difficult (and in some cases more tedious) stages.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

FactsAreUseless posted:

The band you're looking for is Gogol Bordello.

Haha, exactly my thoughts when I read that post.

fe: acceptable substitute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-CnWwbeetE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Not a Children posted:

My sole Steam Sale purchase was Crypt of the Necrodancer, which I've somehow already poured 15 hours into. What a great game. Made it to the end of Zone 4 once, but lost my nerve at the end....

Crypt of the Necrodancer is good poo poo :slick:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Dunno if it's been mentioned but if you live in the US, you can get the new hitman first season on gamestop.com for a little over $15. You have to buy the first episode + upgrade pack for some reason since the normal first season is still $60 but afaik it's the exact same thing?

Really weird honestly but hey that's definitely low enough for me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I also like Mega Man 5. The stage design gets really interesting in the later games. They're definitely easier that the early games but I think a lot of that is due to the game design getting dramatically better.

Phantasium posted:

Gravity Man's stage is the poo poo and always the first stage I pick.

Crystal Man's nebulous falling crystal over pit bullshit can go gently caress itself, however.

Use the shield weapon, I can't remember who gives it to you (star man?) but you can just jump through the crystals without any trouble.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I never use weapons. I know that's crazy and neuters half the fun of getting stuff from bosses but I trained myself not to use them after so many years and now that I don't particularly care I always forget about them.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I got Hitman and the complete version of Secret World from Funcom. Hitman is loving fantastic, and I'm really surprised by how much I'm enjoying the Secret World. The gameplay is MMO, but the story is pretty interesting so far.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harrow posted:

It really is. She's one of my favorite game composers. Her music in the Mario and Luigi games surprises me every time. The final boss theme from Bowser's Inside Story is crazy good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6M2xt_Ks4Y

She also composed the soundtrack for Radiant Historia, right? Shimomura could work magic with that DS sound chip.

:agreed: Was one of my favorite things about the game. It was so silly, but silly in just the right way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GphACo5c0Y0

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think it would be cool if they remastered/expanded some of the hitman 2 levels for hitman. invitation to a party, the fugu poison one, the one with the nerd in the basement. just something i would like to see...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

It's cute enough if it's on sale for fivebux or whatever, yeah. Wouldn't pay much more than that but I had fun with it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

I never use weapons. I know that's crazy and neuters half the fun of getting stuff from bosses but I trained myself not to use them after so many years and now that I don't particularly care I always forget about them.

For me it's generally the same but man the Metal Blade makes MM2 a whole other game. It's like the Rush Jet in MM3 in that you should enjoy it in the one game where they didn't realize how broken it was.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Not a Children posted:

It's one of the best games I played in the last year. It's insanely good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't realize metal blade could shoot in 8 directions until Wily stage 2 and I stood completely still at the correct angle and just obliterated his ship with metal blade spam haha.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I wanted to like Crypt of the Necrodancer but I am just SO BAD at grid-based roguelikes. Good music tho.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

It's cute enough if it's on sale for fivebux or whatever, yeah. Wouldn't pay much more than that but I had fun with it.

Yeah it's on sale on PS4 in Europe. Thanks for the impressions everyone, I guess I'll pick it up

Also Party Hard is also on sale - am I remembering wrong or were some people saying that was cool (the reviews aren't very good)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'll be able to get FFXV digitally tomorrow morning, right? It's pretty much sight unseen for me, but being Final Fantasy it's (nearly) an automatic buy-in.

There been any reviews or close-enough-to-reviews yet?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I'll be able to get FFXV digitally tomorrow morning, right? It's pretty much sight unseen for me, but being Final Fantasy it's (nearly) an automatic buy-in.

There been any reviews or close-enough-to-reviews yet?

There's a bunch of reviews out today
http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/28/13661570/final-fantasy-15-review-xv-ff15-ps4-playstation-4-xbox-one-square-enix
https://www.destructoid.com/review-final-fantasy-xv-399859.phtml

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks. Looks like a general thumbs up to me, which is good because The Division is starting to wear thin and I'm still stuck as hell on Bloodborne.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eurogamer's review of FFXV is... not particularly positive. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-28-final-fantasy-15-review

Ciaphas posted:

Watch this and enjoy how rad the battles are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqbH_V2H8a4

Also where are you stuck on Bloodborne? Mostly out of curiosity.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 28, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

Eurogamer's review of FFXV is... not particularly positive. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-28-final-fantasy-15-review

Watch this and enjoy how rad the battles are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqbH_V2H8a4

Also where are you stuck on Bloodborne? Mostly out of curiosity.

Skullboy in Cainhurst. Never found a shortcut and I'm being a stubborn bastard and trying to use the too short Beast Claw I just got on him

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Someone mad they can't get ahold of a nes mini...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRicuKHmjZA

oddium posted:

tom clancy gets top billing on all the splinter cell games, and rainbow six

I said come in! posted:

Ghost Recon, and the Division as well. Dude had nothing to do with any of those games besides the very first Rainbow Six. Dude has been dead for awhile now and UBISoft still plans on dragging his name through the dirt with their games for the foreseeable future.
Let's not pretend that Ubisoft games are doing more damage to the TOM CLANCY name than the man himself

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 28, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dragonball Xenoverse is so hilariously unbalanced. Saiyan player characters can basically spam super moves nonstop with no real downside. What a silly game.

https://twitter.com/tweeterisawful/status/803254636874440704

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Dragonball Xenoverse is so hilariously unbalanced. Saiyan player characters can basically spam super moves nonstop with no real downside. What a silly game.

https://twitter.com/tweeterisawful/status/803254636874440704

They fixed that in the sequel.

That said, Saiyan characters can beam spam but other races have their advantages. Earthings and IIRC Majins can infinitely combo characters which is arguably more broken than beamspamming because the latter is easy to get around.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So what was GotM?

I suppose it'd be fair to wait a few days for people to play FFXV first but it probably won't be GotM anyway

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pokemon

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it was um. pokemon. i dunno i'm gonna go back to eu4 now

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have been playing Paper Mario Color Splash and have been pleasantly surprised about it at every corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Game of the month for December is Shantae btw

• Locked thread