Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Note Block posted:

Hey! I have a gift for you~ Give me your email or twitter. As soon as I see it, you can delete it if you want to keep private~

Uh, sure. Deleted randomly in the name of privacy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Thanks much, tyblazitar.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Supremezero posted:

I don't have PMs, unfortunately. Unless they allowed that for non-platinum members when I wasn't looking.

FC: 1891-1454-3807, IGN: Estelle.

I should probably get around to upgrading to platinum at some point, but eh.

No problem, I'll post my Friend Code later tonight and I'll get you one:

LightningSquid posted:

I've got some extra Adamants, and I could use a Chikorita.

Cool, I'll breed one for you as well.

Note Block posted:

Oh hello~

Any way I can bum a lady chikorita off of you?

I've got the following:
Timid/Modest HA Eevee in Ultra/Heal balls
Modest Cutiefly with Moonblast in Luxury balls
HA Timid Vulpix with Freeze-dry+Moonblast, in Dive balls
Jolly Bagon, Calm Goomy, Jolly Cubone (aka in Beast Balls)
Bold Swift Swim Feebas with Dragon Breath and Pulse in Dive ball (can come with a Prism Scale for Milotic Evolution, but I'd want one back in return)
Castform in Premier balls
Porygon in plain ol Pokeballs
I can also do Wimpod in Beast Balls (although I'm unsure of what their preferred natures are) and Modest/Timid Togepi with Nasty Plot in Luxury balls

I'll take one of those Jolly Cubones if you please. I'll breed you a Chikorita as well. :)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Supremezero posted:

Careful and Impish occasionally see some use, as do Brave and Quiet in some fringe cases. And Naive for those mixed attackers (The big one used to be Salamence, but nobody seems to use it anymore over Adamant Mega-mence)
Naive is good for Pheromosa now, until she gets relegated to Ubers at this rate.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Done! You can edit that out now~

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Note Block posted:

Done! You can edit that out now~

Randomness ho? Thank you.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Supremezero posted:

Randomness ho? Thank you.

NP, enjoy! Wish it was easier to gift such things. I would have done it anonymously otherwise.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Senerio posted:

Thanks much, tyblazitar.

And thanks to you!

Txn posted:

I just made a few extra galvanize Geodudes/Geodudettes if you still want one.

FC is 4339 - 2627 - 8716 (IGN: Txn)

Bit late, but I'm definitely interested in a female one if you have a spare! Are you looking for anything in particular?

FC 3325-3410-1572, IGN tyb

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
I am looking for Togepi/Togetic/Togekiss in a Love ball. This is literally my HIGHEST PRIORITY in life. Please do let me know if you have/find one.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Okay guys, a little general pokemon help from those more in the know;

Should I level up my Pokemon as soon as possible? I got a pretty dope charjabug, but Poni Poni island where he evolves is quite a bit away for me. Should I put him in a box so he doesn't level up then when I get there put him in my party so he can evolve and get more levels in in his evolved form?

The way I understand it, when a Pokémon in its second evolution levels up it gets +2 in a stat whereas a Pokemon in its third and final stage gets +3.

Is that correct? In general, if I can't evolve a Pokemon should I hold off on levelling them up until I can?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Speaking of Pheromosa, what happens if the two highest stats are tied and Beast Boost activates?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Calico Heart posted:

Should I level up my Pokemon as soon as possible? I got a pretty dope charjabug, but Poni Poni island where he evolves is quite a bit away for me. Should I put him in a box so he doesn't level up then when I get there put him in my party so he can evolve and get more levels in in his evolved form?

The way I understand it, when a Pokémon in its second evolution levels up it gets +2 in a stat whereas a Pokemon in its third and final stage gets +3.

Is that correct? In general, if I can't evolve a Pokemon should I hold off on levelling them up until I can?

Actually, from a technical standpoint, it's normally better to level up without evolving, since you learn moves earlier at lower evolutions. Though this doesn't tend to apply for cases like Charjabug. You don't usually really lose anything for evolving at a later level as opposed to an earlier level, but you can potentially lose out on moves for doing the reverse. Of course, there's exceptions on the other side too; later evolutions can learn moves earlier evolutions can't, and if you don't evolve by the level they learn it at, they miss them, but those can be recovered with the Move Relearner, whereas moves only learned by earlier evolutions can't. The stats you mentioned happen regardless of when you actually evolve.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Calico Heart posted:

Is that correct? In general, if I can't evolve a Pokemon should I hold off on leveling them up until I can?
No, not at all. +stat boosts are determined by EVs (IE - how much stuff you've fought) so you want to keep him with you.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Can you get the other starters easily or do you need to restart? I kinda want a fire kitty but I'm at the first gym and didn't think of reset trading until now.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
No that's not how it works at all. Pokemon takes a completely different approach to stats -- you're thinking of something like a Final Fantasy game.

A Pokemon's stats are calculated from a few numbers: their base stats (determined by their species), EVs (gained in battle), IVs (intrinsic to each individual pokemon), Nature (+10%/-10% to two stats) and Level.
If any of these numbers change, the stat is recalculated. When a Pokemon evolves, their stats are now calculated using the base stat of their new species. For example, Charjabug has pretty low base Special Attack (55) so that stat will always be pretty low. But Vikavolt, its evolved form, has 145 base Special Attack. When your Charjabug evolves, its Special Attack will suddenly be much higher! It doesn't matter how many levels it spent as a Charjabug.

So yes, level up your pokemon as soon as possible. Charjabug is pretty strong for a second-stage pokemon, and mine was crucial for several fights throughout the game.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cuntellectual posted:

Can you get the other starters easily or do you need to restart? I kinda want a fire kitty but I'm at the first gym and didn't think of reset trading until now.

GTS is god. So is wonder trade, sometimes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Calico Heart posted:

There is no stat difference between a Pokemon that waited until level 99 to evolve and a Pokemon that evolved immediately, in and of itself.

A given Pokemon of a given species at a given level always has the same stats, the only thing that changes those stats is EVs, IVs, and Nature.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Note Block posted:

I am looking for Togepi/Togetic/Togekiss in a Love ball. This is literally my HIGHEST PRIORITY in life. Please do let me know if you have/find one.

According to the QR code/island scan list, Togekiss is Tuesday's spawn for Poni Island. So in less than 24 hours you have a shot of getting one yourself.

Can you SOS chain island scan Pokemon tho? I've been in such a rush to catch them that I haven't bothered to find out.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 28, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

No, not at all. +stat boosts are determined by EVs (IE - how much stuff you've fought) so you want to keep him with you.

This is probably not a simple question but how do nature, characteristic, EVs and IVs relate? I thought IVs were the ones you changed by fighting with certain items equipped.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

evs are effort ie fighting, ivs are individual ie born with and cannot change

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mierenneuker posted:

According to the island scan list, Togekiss is Tuesday's spawn for Poni Island. So in less than 24 hours you have a shot of getting one yourself.

Can you SOS chain island scan Pokemon tho? I've been in such a rush to catch them that I haven't bothered to find out.

You're assuming he still have a Love Ball. You only get one, after all.

Which actually makes this sound like it'd suck hard unless you already have a Togekiss, due to how the love ball works.

And no, you can't chain them. Unfortunately.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Cuntellectual posted:

This is probably not a simple question but how do nature, characteristic, EVs and IVs relate? I thought IVs were the ones you changed by fighting with certain items equipped.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Individual_values

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values

natures give either a 10% stat change to a pokemon or no change at all depending on the nature

if it alters a stat positively, it will alter a different stat negatively to offset it (timid nature, for example, is +10% to speed and -10% to attack)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

- IVs (Individual Values) are set when a Pokemon is caught or hatched. You can't change them, except through the Hyper Training in S/M. They range from 0 to 31.
- Characteristics are a clue to the value of the Pokemon's highest IV. It's kind of useless.
- EVs are gained in battle, and certain items increase how many you get. They range from 0 to 252. Every 4 EVs in a stat increasing that stat by 1 at level 100.
- Nature gives a 10% boost to one stat and 10% penalty to another.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Festival plaza is getting too real

This isn't festive at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cuntellectual posted:

Other way around. IVs (Individual Values) are set in stone at birth or when caught and range from 0 to 31. In Gen 7, you can adjust effective IVs through Hyper Training at level 100.

EVs (Effort Values) are accumulated through battling or PokePelago. A Pokemon can have a total of 510 EVs, with a maximum of 252 in a single stat.

Nature is a 10% bonus to one stat and 10% penalty to another stat.

Characteristic is meaningless, it's just a vague indicator of IVs.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man people love Sandshrew. Managed to get pretty much every single Sun-exclusive except legendaries by just putting up the lil' guy on the GTS.

Speaking of which how do you get version-esclusive legendaries without putting up legendaries of your own? They can't breed, right?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Solumin posted:

- IVs (Individual Values) are set when a Pokemon is caught or hatched. You can't change them, except through the Hyper Training in S/M. They range from 0 to 31.

this actually doesn't change the IV, it sets a flag to pretend the pokemon is at 31 IVs

it will still retain whatever hidden power it has at birth and that cannot be changed

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pierson posted:

Man people love Sandshrew. Managed to get pretty much every single Sun-exclusive except legendaries by just putting up the lil' guy on the GTS.

Speaking of which how do you get version-esclusive legendaries without putting up legendaries of your own? They can't breed, right?

You don't. That's kind of the point. It's supposed to encourage trade and socializing.

It helps that you get multiple of the UB's. Before you were always stuck trading your single legendary for the other single legendary, or else getting lucky with crazy people on the GTS offering their version legendary for random crap.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 28, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why are my Pokémon sleepy?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the best way to look at it is that a pokemon has certain basic stats (determined by EVs, IVs, species, etc), and level is simply a multiplier on those stats. The act of leveling itself is almost totally irrelevant except for learning moves or meeting the level curve of the story.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
PSA: Never trust randoms on GTS.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Supremezero posted:

You're assuming he still have a Love Ball. You only get one, after all.

Which actually makes this sound like it'd suck hard unless you already have a Togekiss, due to how the love ball works.

And no, you can't chain them. Unfortunately.

Oh, I forgot those kind of balls were a thing in this game. I just assumed they were talking about luxury balls, duh.

Thanks for the info about not being able to chain island scan Pokemon. Guess I got pretty lucky when I nabbed a female Chikorita on day one. I was able to breed a second one (don't have a Ditto yet) and trade it for a Popplio so now I got two awesome starter buddies.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 28, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

tyblazitar posted:

Who the hell goes to the effort of hacking a shiny ditto but not maxing it's IVs.

Unless they just actually caught a shiny ditto, I guess.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
RE not leveling Charjabug, specifically; if you don't want to use a heartscale, then evolving it into Vikavolt before level 31 lets it learn bug buzz. Other than that, throw an eviolite on it and ride that little battery hard.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tyblazitar posted:

Well, that first one does technically have six IVs :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Supremezero posted:

You don't. That's kind of the point. It's supposed to encourage trade and socializing.

It helps that you get multiple of the UB's. Before you were always stuck trading your single legendary for the other single legendary, or else getting lucky with crazy people on the GTS offering their version legendary for random crap.
Yeah I didn't mean in game I meant in trading, in a "what can you actually offer in exchange for legendaries?" way. Multiple UBs will help with that though I guess, cheers.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Supremezero posted:

Who the hell goes to the effort of hacking a shiny ditto but not maxing it's IVs.
Trolls. You can see most the IVs are reasonably high, but just shy of actually maxed.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I can't wait for Pokemon Bank in January, I want to do a lot more runs of Sun but I don't want to give up my current Pokemon.

I'm thinking of doing a mono-grass run:
- Lurantis (Grass)
- Shiinotic (Grass/Fairy)
- Tsareena (Grass)
- Dhelmise (Ghost/Grass)
- Exeggcutor (Grass/Dragon)
- Pelipper??? (Water/Flying) [Drizzle]

I'm not sure what to use for the last slot. Pelipper would be useful for shutting down Fire and Bug types, but it's not a Grass type. I wanted to use new Pokemon and Alola forms, too.
And maybe I should swap out either Lurantis or Tsareena for something else, since they're both mono-grass Physical attackers.

boy are my arms tired posted:

this actually doesn't change the IV, it sets a flag to pretend the pokemon is at 31 IVs

it will still retain whatever hidden power it has at birth and that cannot be changed

That's true, but I was trying to keep it simple.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Solumin posted:

I can't wait for Pokemon Bank in January, I want to do a lot more runs of Sun but I don't want to give up my current Pokemon.

I'm thinking of doing a mono-grass run:
- Lurantis (Grass)
- Shiinotic (Grass/Fairy)
- Tsareena (Grass)
- Dhelmise (Ghost/Grass)
- Exeggcutor (Grass/Dragon)
- Pelipper??? (Water/Flying) [Drizzle]

I'm not sure what to use for the last slot. Pelipper would be useful for shutting down Fire and Bug types, but it's not a Grass type. I wanted to use new Pokemon and Alola forms, too.
And maybe I should swap out either Lurantis or Tsareena for something else, since they're both mono-grass Physical attackers.

That's true, but I was trying to keep it simple.

Silvally-Grass, maybe? It can get Rock Slide for Bug and Fire types, and it gets the fangs for coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Goodness, people really do like Castform. Managed to luck out and get one off the GTS for like a Clefable or something and I'm starting up an Ultra Beast collection already.

Guessing that'll change after Bank gets updated so I'm gonna stock up on fancy things while I can. Got all the version exclusives at least.

Also had a great mission of type-matchup. Ended up being with 100 people and almost hit 1000 answers. The numbers were just flying up.