Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
get in your lemon car and suck it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Baloogan posted:

cars?
man you so wack you can't even type the name "bars"

more like lemon cucks

you can take your lemon 'cars' to the nearest lemon party and enjoy

I can't help it, you made me so loving mad about lemon bars I am literally frothing at the mouth at your idiocy you gently caress

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if lemon bars are cookies then so are brownies and we're just living in loving fantasy land.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'what's your favorite cookie'

'a cupcake, gently caress it'

this is your america!!!

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

bump_fn posted:

heres a good article about how silicon valleys globalization and technology push is loving a lot of people

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/silicon-valley-has-an-empathy-vacuum

Otto, a Bay Area startup that was recently acquired by Uber, wants to automate trucking—and recently wrapped up a hundred-and-twenty-mile driverless delivery of fifty thousand cans of beer between Fort Collins and Colorado Springs. From a technological standpoint it was a jaw-dropping achievement, accompanied by predictions of improved highway safety. From the point of view of a truck driver with a mortgage and a kid in college, it was a devastating “oh, poo poo” moment. That one technical breakthrough puts nearly two million long-haul trucking jobs at risk. Truck driving is one of the few decent-paying jobs that doesn’t require a college diploma. Eliminating the need for truck drivers doesn’t just affect those millions of drivers; it has a ripple effect on ancillary services like gas stations, motels, and retail outlets; an entire economic ecosystem could break down.

Whether self-driving cars and trucks, drones, privatization of civic services like transportation, or dynamic pricing, all these developments embrace automation and efficiency, and abhor friction and waste. As Erik Brynjolfsson, a professor at the M.I.T. Sloan School of Management told MIT Technology Review, “Productivity is at record levels, innovation has never been faster, and yet at the same time, we have a falling median income and we have fewer jobs. People are falling behind because technology is advancing so fast and our skills and organizations aren’t keeping up.” It is, he said, “the great paradox of our era.”

Yeah, driving in some capacity is literally the most common job in most states. It's not just the 2m long haul truckers, I remember seeing an estimate closer to 9m jobs lost for all professions where driving is over 80% of the workload.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
when the carlscouts come by, i prefer the thin mint cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM5onRkileU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I can't help it, you made me so loving mad about lemon bars I am literally frothing at the mouth at your idiocy you gently caress

frothing at the mouth from eating a lemon bar I bet, upset your drat stomache obviously

man, what you really need are some warm oven fresh choc o chip cookies

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Baloogan posted:

frothing at the mouth from eating a lemon bar I bet, upset your drat stomache obviously

man, what you really need are some warm oven fresh choc o chip cookies

i never thought i would be on the same side of the war as 40k baby guy against my dear friends like this but ill sing Le Mon Internationale to my grave

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

mugrim posted:

Yeah, driving in some capacity is literally the most common job in most states. It's not just the 2m long haul truckers, I remember seeing an estimate closer to 9m jobs lost for all professions where driving is over 80% of the workload.

120 miles is not really a long distance in terms of trucking, to the point I wouldn't consider it an effective test.

I'd be very worried about automating our largest vehicles before the smallest ones.

Here is a semi-related, interesting article about the ethics of self-driving vehicles.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hard to believe these people lost.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

120 miles is not really a long distance in terms of trucking, to the point I wouldn't consider it an effective test.

I'd be very worried about automating our largest vehicles before the smallest ones.

Here is a semi-related, interesting article about the ethics of self-driving vehicles.

better check the oven 'cause your bars got burnt.

*mic drop*

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Hard to believe these people lost.

loving lol

'buy my shirt saying 'resist' to fight the system'

'cool, for some reason I think that's a good idea, can I get it in a women's cut?'

'lol what even is that'

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

loving lol

'cool, for some reason I think that's a good idea, can I get it in a women's cut?'

'lol what even is that'

whats a woman, is that like a man but smaller???

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

whats a woman, is that like a man but smaller???

uh excuse me I don't SEE gender, I wasn't aware clothes had to be gendered now :smug:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lemon cars are cookies, I will fight you on this

no they're not

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
this was the moment i've been posting for, where i'd get a thread title.

but not like this. NOT LIKE THIS

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I would never drive that car but it's pretty rad anyway.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

this was the moment i've been posting for, where i'd get a thread title.

but not like this. NOT LIKE THIS

man, its page 314, ya know, pi, 3.14 the ratio of a circle's circumference to its radius. circles. cookies are circular.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Baloogan posted:

man, its page 314, ya know, pi, 3.14 the ratio of a circle's circumference to its radius. circles. cookies are circular.

of course a fuckin nerd wouldn't like lemon bars

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Baloogan posted:

you can keep your mathematical constants statist, a lemon bar can be of any dimensions you want unbound by such irrational numbers

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

I've read it and it's one of my concerns, but the scale of automated vehicles is huge. While I get you being more worried, there's waaaaaaaaaay more money to be made in large freight and it's coming much sooner than anyone thinks. I already know people working on real estate to buy to make maintenance depots that also act as automatic refueling stations. Some of the numbers coming out are saying an 80% reduction in price over human labor per mile, and that despite moving slower to optimize gas (I think 55 was the target for the trucks they looked at) it'd still make more advancement than a human due to not sleeping. Don't forget it's not just longhaul, there's also shorter warehouse distribution chains that aren't long at all but service a specified district and nationally employ people as well. Large cities will have a massive network meant to take stuff from warehouse distribution to walmart, target, grocers, etc.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

here is a lemon bar that is simultaneously a cookie, brownie, and a pie. can yer old chocolate chip cookies do that?????

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

(peels out on skateboard, doin a sick nollie over a pile of sad lookin chips ahoy)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
No one in their right mind would think thats a cookie ffs

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Al! posted:

here is a lemon bar that is simultaneously a cookie, brownie, and a pie. can yer old chocolate chip cookies do that?????

That's not a cookie, dude.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Wow we live in a country of unprecedented freedom but motherfuckin lemon bars can't be cookies. Y'all are racist

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Baloogan posted:

No one in their right mind would think thats a cookie ffs

i will not hear you speak about the mother of Jeb! in such a way

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

loving lol

'lol what even is that'

lmfao

there is no ethical consumption under cuckpitalism lmbo~

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That's not a cookie, dude.

anti trans bigotry from a mod smdh

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
my preferred cookie is a roasted chiligarlic brussels sprout, loving fite me

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That's not a cookie, dude. mate

This is a cookie

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

no they're not

official Dem gotv mobile

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i agree with that extremely italian guy, sex drugs AND sausage rolls

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
All Cookies Matter

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mugrim posted:

This is a cookie

Thought his shirt said SexDrugs & Donald Trump

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Thought his shirt said SexDrugs & Donald Trump

Oh poo poo I thought it did too.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

mugrim posted:

This is a cookie

Do..uh, do people still get that reference?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Do..uh, do people still get that reference?

Chocodile Dundee

Come on, we're not relitigating the primaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I really wish I'd thought of that.

• Locked thread