Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Internet Explorer posted:

So, I have a serious question...

Has anyone actually been attacked by an AI that isn't barbarians? I don't mean declared war on, I mean having them actually attack your cities or units with theirs.
There's an explanation for this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/5f1n33/so_i_did_some_testingobserving_and_figured_out/
TL;DR: the AI can't use bombards correctly at all, it won't attack unless it can kill one of your units, and is way too scared of losing units to actually attack, even when it could win. Barbarians don't give a gently caress and are quite happy to do suicidal attacks, thus they end up being better at war than everything else.

E: However, the AI is quite happy to go suicidal with units that don't cause war weariness, like religious units (hence the missionary spam).

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Staltran posted:

That's weird, what tourism modifiers to civs did you have? Was a lot of your tourism religious? Had you met everyone? You should have gotten almost 7 tourists (on average) per turn unless the formula I've seen is completely wrong.

I loaded up the turn before I war-deced the last two AI.

I have 1,162 tourism and 503 culture per turn which is more than everyone else in the game combined. I gained 3 tourists the following turn and 4 the turn after that. I have -50% to religious tourists from Enlightenment and -27% from government, however that is decided.

So I guess that is the explanation but gently caress that, seriously lol.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't like the warmonger penalties. I had Sumeria and Norway (why did you do this to me my viking bro?) declare war on me. I beat the poo poo out of them, took three cities, agreed to the first peace treaty offered, but by that time every other person denounced me for being a warmonger.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Decrepus posted:

I have 1,162 tourism and 503 culture per turn which is more than everyone else in the game combined. I gained 3 tourists the following turn and 4 the turn after that. I have -50% to religious tourists from Enlightenment and -27% from government, however that is decided.

Don't forget trade routes to another civilization also gives a positive modifier. I think open borders does too (you don't have to open yours).

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Decrepus posted:

Even with -27% (for everyone?) you should have gotten at least 5 tourists a turn by my count (but yeah you should buy open borders from everyone you can get a reasonable price from, set up trade routes and run the +50% tourism to civs you have a trade route with policy if you have social media). Another thought: Were there any dead civs? I'm not sure if the amount of tourism you need to get a tourist is dependent on remaining civs or civs at start. If it's the latter, losing a source of tourists when a civ is eliminated could slow you down.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I didn't have open borders and wasn't sending trade-routes to people so I understand that's my fault. I was originally going to go for a science victory and only even looked at and entertained the idea of culture after I took the Kongo cities and got launched to 700/turn. I probably already blew up a bunch of tourists and delayed the victory by the time of this screenshot, Saladin is already dead

How are you getting your estimates? I have no idea what numbers on that screen that would tell me to expect to gain 5 or 7.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What is the best strategy to stop a Civ from a runaway culture victory? Was playing on Emperor over the holiday and Kongo won on like turn 200. War seems like it would take a long time so is the best approach just to build up some culture too so they can't get to victory as fast? It was a helpless feeling when I noticed how close they were to victory.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Niwrad posted:

What is the best strategy to stop a Civ from a runaway culture victory?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Now I'm getting people denouncing me for being a warmonger, then declaring war against me, then signing peace treaties, but I'm getting denounced as a warmonger for getting war declared against me by other civs and it's a vicious cycle and everyone hates me. I'm not even taking cities or doing anything other than killing units that enter my territory and they're still denouncing me.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This is actually the answer to "how do I stop x from happening"

It doesn't matter what X is.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How do I stop nuclear winter from happening?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It took me forever to realise that you could attack religious units with your own religious units without triggering a declaration of war - there doesn't seem to be any penalty at all for doing so. It made religion far more tolerable, since you can just kill their missionaries with your apostles and it actually helps you spread religion faster.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Saladin Rising posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/5f1n33/so_i_did_some_testingobserving_and_figured_out/
TL;DR: the AI can't use bombards correctly at all, it won't attack unless it can kill one of your units, and is way too scared of losing units to actually attack, even when it could win. Barbarians don't give a gently caress and are quite happy to do suicidal attacks, thus they end up being better at war than everything else.

E: However, the AI is quite happy to go suicidal with units that don't cause war weariness, like religious units (hence the missionary spam).

Jesus loving Christ. I am glad I didn't pay money for this game. The combat AI in Civ 5 was bad enough. This is just completely non-functional. What a waste of 12 hours or so figuring out that this game is garbage.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Little Bitch Man posted:

Argh! my America game is now crashing to desktop whenever I press the end turn button, right when I'm building my nuclear arsenal and about to win.

Anyone wants to multiplayer?

DOW AIs till it goes away. One of their decision trees is likely causing the crash.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nuke everyone who is building nukes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Saladin Rising posted:

Hahaha jfc

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Again, nukes aren't gonna be that effective against a culture victory. You have to capture their cities with tourism output--existing great works can still exert tourism pressure iirc

The other preventative measure is to buy up all the great people :v:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
But you can nuke their national parks/seaside resorts, right? And they have to get rid of the fallout before repairing the resorts (or to get the park appeal back)?

e: Also a museum being pillaged apparently doesn't affect tourism from the stuff inside it, but what about wonders? Do pillaged wonders still give tourism?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I cleaned up nuclear contamination with a Roman legion last night. It was pretty cool. :)

Also, I saw the Pantanal aligned so that it could have been turned into a national park. Wish it had been close enough to me to find out what happens.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I play on small(?) 6 player maps so I have a better chance of getting my hands on and strangling any AI who begins running away.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So... Does this game just not tell you who wins at the end when it isn't you?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That isn't a mechanic in this game. So you don't need to worry about it :)

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Saladin Rising posted:

Well, that certainly explains why even the most warlike AIs are god awful at conquering anything once the walls start going up and I have to start rolling catapults out. That's terrible, it sounds like they'd be more interesting to fight if they just replaced their whole battle algorithm with the suicidal barbarian one

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Well, that certainly explains why even the most warlike AIs are god awful at conquering anything once the walls start going up and I have to start rolling catapults out. That's terrible, it sounds like they'd be more interesting to fight if they just replaced their whole battle algorithm with the suicidal barbarian one

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe they would build some newer/upgraded units if they lost some of their warriors along the way.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

The White Dragon posted:

Again, nukes aren't gonna be that effective against a culture victory. You have to capture their cities with tourism output--existing great works can still exert tourism pressure iirc

The other preventative measure is to buy up all the great people :v:

Nuke them in one massive strike, 4-6 thermo nukes depending on size, really gently caress them up. Then press next turn until the peace cooldown hits and and they will instantly beg for peace, giving you all their great works.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I had the pantanal aligned so I could build a park on it (vertical diamond), and built a city next to it / bought it to do so, then bought a naturalist who couldn't build a park there. Pretty strange. Was simply no option available. It seems custom-built to be a national park so I was confused why I couldn't do it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Saladin Rising posted:

I slept on it and just wanted to come back and post the following: Why is anyone playing this game while this is still broken?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

multiplayer

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I slept on it and just wanted to come back and post the following: Why is anyone playing this game while this is still broken?

I came back to play a second game since they had patched and I wanted to see how much it changed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I play the game to scratch my :spergin: itch and build cities and explore maps. I'm not really interested in a competitive AI. (Although it would be nice if they were a little more hostile towards each other.)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Co-op with friends. Also I don't really care about the AI. I like building civs, figuring out how I'm going to expand, trying to optimize a victory type depending on my starting location and leader.

The dumb AI that doesn't know how to use it's units is more like an amusing baby brother whose antics make me laugh more than anything else.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I totally understand if you don't want to play Domination mode, that's why it took me a while to figure out that the AI was broken. I tried a game with religion and few military units, tried a hotseat game with my wife where I tried to play passively... but in the end of the day, knowing that all you need to do is build the basic-level wall and the AI will never attack you, what's the point? The peaceful victory conditions should still require you to defend yourself, otherwise what's the point? Go play Cities:Skyline or something.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Go play Cities:Skyline or something.

I like Civ VI. To me it is at least as fun as BNW. I'm sorry that this somehow bothers you or is otherwise an incomprehensible decision.

I've finished 4 or 5 standard pace games playing with a buddy and we'll start another one this week sometime. We've enjoyed it. It's been fun.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I do have to say that being the 4th place player in a multiplayer game and out of first by 200 points with 92 turns left suuuuuuuuuuucks

I wonder if my system can handle Civ 6 and Elite:Dangerous at the same time?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

I like Civ VI. To me it is at least as fun as BNW. I'm sorry that this somehow bothers you or is otherwise an incomprehensible decision.

I've finished 4 or 5 standard pace games playing with a buddy and we'll start another one this week sometime. We've enjoyed it. It's been fun.

It doesn't bother me that you play it, but it is an incomprehensible decision. It does bother me that they released it in this state, though.

So it doesn't bother you and your buddy that the AI provides no challenge? Or at the very least completely (and I mean completely) ignores 25% of the victory conditions?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It doesn't bother me that you play it, but it is an incomprehensible decision. It does bother me that they released it in this state, though.

So it doesn't bother you and your buddy that the AI provides no challenge? Or at the very least completely (and I mean completely) ignores 25% of the victory conditions?

Wouldn't bother me, at least for now. It's an efficiency game, just like most board games, you can play board games solo and all you're doing is trying to get a better score than last time.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

You should probably be made aware that I've never played a game of Civ hoping for the AI to challenge me seriously. We don't play on very high difficulties like Immortal of Deity. We play at medium difficulties and enjoy just building Civs The AI is more like an opponent in Settlers of Catan than anything else, potentially blocking you from expansions and being a cute, sometimes amusing annoyance than a real challenge.

All I know is that the things that bother you, and for that matter, lots of vocal goons in this thread don't bother me enough to not play. I recognize that things, like a decently functional AI, are broken or missing, but they aren't taking away from the core experience I happen to play and like Civ for. In many ways I find Civ VI to be a distinct improvement over Civ V: BNW so the move from BNW to VI at launch was pretty pleasant. But that's me. I happen to like the district system, builders, the new city states, support units, wonders on tiles, the new leaders, etc. Some don't so they stopped playing after a game or two.

Different strokes and yada yada etc etc. Ultimately I'm having fun so I continue to play this imperfect game.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Because the game is fun and this is almost nothing.

Crosswell
Jun 7, 2007
Lying in a Bombay alley
Let me be a voice of reason. I am similar to the previous posters. I like building empires, I like winning, I play mostly on the level below emperor or on emperor maybe 1 in 4 games and I hate to admit this but I've quit quite a few times through massive setbacks. Sometimes you rally and pull out a cool win, other times I kind of just want to try a different civ so I get frustrated and reroll. Seeing that post killed any desire I had to play this game. I'll bump the difficulty down if I want to play sloppier or deal with some retirements along the way to a victory. If those points made are true--and they match my anecdotal experience--that is some reallllll shady, 'gently caress IT WE'LL DO IT LIVE' poo poo.

Basically I love being pandered to and even I can't stomach this crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm playing because the game is fun and the AI has never been good ever so lol.