Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Dwayne the cock"? What is this, an erotic fanfic for Boss Baby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBnMBU1DhFU

:unsmith:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Official Facebook page for Moana has a video of Dwayne Johnson singing the full version of You're Welcome at the premiere :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Edit: gently caress, not the full version at all, I WAS LIED TO

Edit 2: Ok there's longish bits of all the songs in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQkMN9XDB3E

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 15, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Can someone just leak the drat soundtrack already so I can get the full song???? You're killing me Disney

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have my tickets to see Moana.

After much consideration, I will not be wearing Demigod-face to the movie.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Macaluso posted:

Can someone just leak the drat soundtrack already so I can get the full song???? You're killing me Disney

https://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyMusicVEVO/videos

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You should instead wear a Judy mascot-style head and confuse the hell out of everyone.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

You should instead wear a Judy mascot-style head and confuse the hell out of everyone.

I don't.... have.... one of those. Or anything like that.

I do have one of those furry earflap hats from when I lived in the snowy north

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Phimosissy posted:

I don't.... have.... one of those. Or anything like that.

I do have one of those furry earflap hats from when I lived in the snowy north

I want people to be scared of you, not the onset of winter!

e: Shiny is the most Bowie song that isn't Bowie I've ever heard.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 19, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Das Boo posted:

I want people to be scared of you, not the onset of winter!

e: Shiny is the most Bowie song that isn't Bowie I've ever heard.

I said it in the other thread, but I honestly couldn't imagine anyone but Jemaine singing that song. That song was made for him

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Hedrigall posted:

I really want this standee in my living room.

Maui is taller than me :stare:

Being serious here, but you should ask the staff about their plans for the stand after the movie finishes its initial run. Some theaters don't mind giving them away to patrons since they tend to be thrown out. At least one theater I worked at would keep kick rear end standees like this though; we had a room upstairs dedicated to housing the more unique ones. Never hurts to find out your local theater's policy on these type of things.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So I went yesterday for an advanced screening of Moana at downtown Disney in Anaheim. It was super cool. I loved the movie, and I think it might have somehow taken its place as my favorite Disney movie, usurping Princess and the Frog from its position.

There was literally no song in it I didn't find good. (Shiny was perhaps the weakest but was still above average - and even better, it was funny). Theres only one spot I'd call weak (it only establishes what we already were basically told and shown) but that's fine.

I really, really, really liked the ending. It was so good.

Even cooler: a Hawaiian guy who came to the premiere who was 6'7 was cosplaying Maui. He was super chill and was posing with kids and flexing etc. Wasn't even part of the Disney crew, just a guy who was really excited for the film. And looked EXACTLY like Maui.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Trip report: Moana is a good, pretty movie.

Also Moana's grandmother is the best.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I can now address my Moana predictions!

I was sort of right about Maui not really being a god as such (in that he wasn't born one), and "joining humanity", albeit briefly. But he doesn't move socially downward at all, and he isn't the romantic interest--which we knew before the film was released. She is not an orphan! Pretty right-on with the "villain" at the end, and about Maui's role. However, we were told the dark angle of Maui's role at the beginning! Big surprise. Reminds me of the surprise near the beginning of Princess & The Frog that Naveen isn't rich, and that Tiana isn't a princess, so that entire "secret" doesn't play a role in how their conflict. I give myself a 7/10, it's pretty similar to what I expected.

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012
What were your thoughts on the film itself?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Qindarka posted:

What were your thoughts on the film itself?

Honestly, I wasn't that big on it. There's nothing really wrong with it, and the crab is really cool, but it doesn't really have much of a theme or a resonant message. Neither Moana nor Maui has an arc I feel like I could coherently describe or that particularly landed with me. It's fun though!

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Plot itself is cut and paste enough that it becomes distracting. Which is unfortunate because this is enough of a fault that it permeates into character motivations and development. It becomes clear at about the halfway point that the overarching plot isn't going anywhere fascinating. I loved everything else though. Been listening to the soundtrack non-stop, thought the animation was phenomenal and had great atmosphere, the characters are endearing even if they aren't fleshed out, and it's fun. I ended up giving it a 7/10, but plan on seeing it again.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Oops, didn't see there was a specific Disney/Moana thread, but it looks like folks have the same reactions as I did. Self-indulgent self-quote:

tin can made man posted:

Now that I've seen Moana I can say with confidence that there's a clear Best Animated Picture of 2016, and it's Kubo.

But Moana was real good. It's a fine entry and keeps WDS's streak going strong, but it's not nearly as effective of a Message movie as its most recent cousins like Zootopia, WiR, Frozen, or even Tangled; there's really no lessons learned or statements made other than "believe in yourself" which is also the moral of literally every other WDS venture, usually paired with some other resonant message. There's a lot of conflict with immediate resolution, like a lot of "oh, this is a movie so this has to happen now" moments , and the characters are more notable for being sharply designed (with zero 'Anglo-But-Brown' characters, thank goodness) than having really meaningful or interesting arcs.

However, where Moana shines is its presentation: It's equally as technically and artistically beautiful as Zootopia - maybe even moreso, but the two movies are doing completely different things, visually, so it's hard to compare. It has some absolutely gorgeous shots and compositions, but the biggest triumph is that Moana is a huge return to the lavish musical number ala renaissance films like Aladdin, B&tB, Lion King, etcetera. Princess and the Frog had their most gorgeous musical numbers yet at the time, but that style was quickly pushed aside for the more sedate style of the 3D films - only two of which were musicals. Let it Go is obviously the biggest one from those two films, but even that is just really a powerful solo piece put on a great stage. Most of the 3D stuff feels like really good blockbusters or Broadways musicals put to the screen, but by contrast, Moana's musical numbers are capital-B Big, take full advantage of the fact that we're in animation land, and there's a lot of them. Some of the song setpieces we see in Moana are among the studio's best, like Maui's introduction song and the first villain song we've had since PatF (even if it's a secondary villain, and more impressive for its visuals than its musical content).

Oh, the one really interesting thing Moana's script does, which I wish they shifted to be more of the focus of the film, is that we have two intersecting Chosen One Hero narratives - with the burgeoning hero meeting with the failed hero of legend. Maui is much more Campbellian with being a child of the mundane world who becomes a master of the mystical one, with a powerful talismanic weapon, etc. He's very much the classic hero of antiquity with the exception that in his greatest quest, he's failed. And now this new hero, with no supernatural abilities about her except a vague Destiny, has to finish the job for him because of Reasons? The script isn't the tightest, unfortunately.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just wanted to say that I think my favourite musical moment in Frozen is during the For the First time in Forever reprise when Anna (spoiled just in case)finds Elsa in the Ice Palace. Love the crescendo on "Anna, please, you'll only make it worse!", it really sells the panic in her voice

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, now that I have a breather (minor spoilers):

Ultimately, I think Moana's biggest problem exists at the intersection of its piecewise structure and its pacing. It's difficult to decouple those things, since they go hand-in-hand. You don't get a good sense of how far you are through the film, or what the overall arc will look like (and ultimately, no solid theme ever emerges), where you are, or how long it is talking. The film is strongest before you meet Maui, but you sit around thinking, "Hey, where's Maui?"

Oh, though it opens by informing you of the looming threat, so you're also sitting there thinking, "Isn't the darkness coming?" It undercuts the most rich characterization of the lead character.

The kakamora feel like a tech demo segment. The monster world feels completely divorced from the rest of the setting. (It's also not clear why the ocean can't take them down itself, since it gets them back up?)

Payoff for Hei-hei is essentially nonexistent and feels like complete fiat. Actually, a lot of what happens feels like it is entirely by authorial fiat--not a good look. (Why can't Maui fly over the barrier guarded by the lava creature? He does later.)

Lava creature's design is desperately, desperately uninspired. It sort of looked like a stripped-down Groot. One of the first promotional images we saw from this film was a much better version, so why they didn't go with that, I can't tell you. (And the "Goddess" version wasn't particularly appealing either.)

"You're Welcome" and "Shiny" are memorable, but I can't even recall a single line from any other song, or name the songs? I don't think any of them are singable for children.

Artistically, it's not enough Jeff Merghart and too Minkyu Lee. I don't think they're pushing the designs enough, and WDAS' films aren't looking unique enough from feature to feature.

I am not being hyperbolic when I say Trolls landed a substantive theme a lot more clearly than Moana.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I saw Moana and my general feeling on it is this:

Maui is a fun character, the Rock does a good job with him, but I genuinely don't think he fits in the film at all. He takes an extremely long time to become part of the story and once he does a lot of time is spent on a character who is genuinely and fundamentally unimportant. The demigod shapeshifting yada yada stuff is neat but overcrowds the movie and doesn't end up doing much, and we're stuck on a "you NEED to find Maui and bring him there" plot that ends up being entirely false because it's Moana who does everything meaningful in the film. Maui teaches Moana to Wayfind which is cute but otherwise he basically just shows up to Han Solo and make a ~meaningful sacrifice~ that is undone in under 2 minutes.

It really feels like they wanted to do this character and it's easy to understand why but they also didn't want to overshadow or demean Moana and the end result is a disjointed film where the parts where Maui are around and the parts where he isn't feel like two different films.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Just saw it this morning and I really, really enjoyed it. I do think it sags a bit in the middle (the bit with the coconut pirates, while effective as a display of Moana's determination & ability, was still pretty superfluous as a sequence), but they did a really fantastic job of getting me to care about these characters and the music really worked for me - much more so than Frozen or Tangled. I love the way it works from a lot of angles to illustrate this idea of complexity within a person/people. I don't think the theme is really "Believe in yourself" so much as it is an examination on what "yourself" really means.

Moana's father sees their island and traditions as defining who they are as a people, and fears that changing their way of life will lead to a decay of their character. And much of the film is chronicling Moana's struggle with that idea. The pull she has for exploration and adventure weighed against her love of her family, friends, and way of life. But the realization she comes to isn't that one or the other is the "true" way, it's that this is a false conflict. Embracing one doesn't have to mean forsaking the other. I think a different film would have taken a simpler route and it would be about her convincing her family to accept her for the explorer that she truly is.

But Moana is about how there is room for both. Leaving home doesn't mean never returning. Trying something new doesn't mean forgetting the past. And furthermore, by closing yourself off to new ideas, you actually do more damage to yourself & your culture in the long run. The island's philosophy of traditionalism/isolationism is actually a betrayal of their original culture. The fear of what might happen has walled them off from an integral part of who they are, and left them vulnerable to new dangers. In the same vein, Maui doesn't act for himself; he acts for the adulation of others, and in doing so makes things worse for humanity. After examining himself and his motivations and recognizing the consequences, he then finally decides to help replace the heart in the finale. Not do it himself for the glory, but assist Moana to do it for his own self-respect.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Man this film is just structurally and thematically a mess. Songs are good but a little complex so their not the easiest to exactly sing once leaving the theater but the ocean is fuckin gorgeous so at least that parts great.

Edit: There are also a couple of times, several during "shiny", where due to light source the movie looks stop motion animated and i found that jarring.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 28, 2016

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Barudak posted:

There are also a couple of times, several during "shiny", where due to light source the movie looks stop motion animated and i found that jarring.

I noticed this too but I liked it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I noticed this too but I liked it.

I don't want to call it bad, it just stands out because it's not fully consistent in the sequence and it crops up a few other times outside of that if I remember right.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Man this film is just structurally and thematically a mess.

My impression was them doing a legend in the style of Polynesian culture(s) so it might feel a bit off outside of that context.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phimosissy posted:

My impression was them doing a legend in the style of Polynesian culture(s) so it might feel a bit off outside of that context.

Well that was a pretty ridiculous thing for them to do, then, because it's like .0004% of their target demographic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Well that was a pretty ridiculous thing for them to do, then, because it's like .0004% of their target demographic.

On the other hand, I don't think kids are going to be doing a lot of in depth theme analysis. Goons are also .0004% of their target demographic.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phimosissy posted:

On the other hand, I don't think kids are going to be doing a lot of in depth theme analysis. Goons are also .0004% of their target demographic.

Kids are going to do a lot better figuring out that The Emperor's New Groove is about selfishness than that Moana's pacing is bad on purpose.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I suppose the important question, going by past conversations in the other Animation thread, is how good of a Marxist allegory it is

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Kids are going to do a lot better figuring out that The Emperor's New Groove is about selfishness than that Moana's pacing is bad on purpose.

Kids aren't going to complain about Moana's pacing in the first place.

That doesn't mean it's not a valid criticism, but it's a valid counterargument against those using audience demographics to make a point when attacking an animated feature.

I really wish it was better in those adult-important ways that would elevate it to the level of my other favorites. Sadly it was merely "good, excellent in parts" rather than simply excellent like Zootopia etc

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Was I the only one thinking that (minor early spoiler) Moana would place the rock on the mountain only after her father died? But then she said she would do it right after that scene. Or maybe the Polynesian culture rules are different for succession? But still the way her father explained it made it seem like it was after he died

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Pick posted:

"You're Welcome" and "Shiny" are memorable, but I can't even recall a single line from any other song, or name the songs? I don't think any of them are singable for children.

Sounds like someone didn't remember the coconuts.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shadow Hog posted:

I suppose the important question, going by past conversations in the other Animation thread, is how good of a Marxist allegory it is

Well, yes, but I'd like to see more Disney movies that acknowledge the existence of systemic problems rather than just personal failings blown up to cosmic scale.

Zootopia was a step in the right direction.

Aladdin
Feb 16, 2011
I like how the film didn't completely push Individualism above all else like other movies. Moana was drawn to explore but put her village above all else. It was only when it was threatened that she could have her cake and eat it too. It was nice that she wasn't good at "one thing" - being the "chosen one" of the ocean seemed just as significant as caring for her people.

Also I loved all of the music and the cultural influences involved. Been listening to the songs on and off again, still emotionally resonant even if Shiny is a tier lower without the visual references. If you have access to the deluxe soundtrack (it's on Spotify too) take a listen to "More". Seems like the original How Far I'll Go. I think what we got was musically richer, but it was interesting listening to the differences in lyrics - it adds slightly different characterizations to Moana.

Adonis
Oct 15, 2004
Greek gods almighty!

Barudak posted:

I don't want to call it bad, it just stands out because it's not fully consistent in the sequence and it crops up a few other times outside of that if I remember right.

What got me were the parts that looked photorealistic. During parts of the film some of the landscape looked legitimitely real which struck me as odd.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I liked it. The plot is kind of awkward but the songs are so good it made up for everything.

One of the things the movie did that I liked was make the chicken irredeemably dumb. There's a throwaway line at the beginning about how all creatures have their use and value, and you think he's being set up for some redemptive arc, but no, he's just stupid from start to finish.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mr. unhsib posted:

I liked it. The plot is kind of awkward but the songs are so good it made up for everything.

One of the things the movie did that I liked was make the chicken irredeemably dumb. There's a throwaway line at the beginning about how all creatures have their use and value, and you think he's being set up for some redemptive arc, but no, he's just stupid from start to finish.

It's not quite a throwaway line. He saves the Heart at one point.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Hedrigall posted:

I really want this standee in my living room.

Maui is taller than me :stare:

That DreamWorks face though. 😐

:siren: Below I talk about the movie in depth. The post is long and there are unflagged spoilers. Beware.:siren:

I liked this movie, I especially liked the Giant Enemy Crab part (it's actually my favorite part) because I feel it is the part of the movie where they just let the animators go hog wild. I do agree that, in comparison to the other songs, Shiny was the "weakest" of the bunch and yet it's actually the one I liked and enjoyed the most because of it's cheeky message which resonated with me. (It's not a message I agree with or adhere to but it's a message I understand and respect. More on this later.)

I also felt that Maui was largely purposeless beyond teaching Moana to wayfind and yet he was an alright character (here I admit I am inherently biased towards trickster gods because they are my very favorite.) And I also agree that the monsters (especially the coconut monsters) were uninspired. In fact, coconut monster segment of the movie just felt like unnecessary time wasting action. (I did like how Moana was badass in it though.) And while I also agree with the "bad pacing" assessment I also believe that it [the bad pacing] was intentional and I actually didn't mind it much because I feel it was actually explained in the movie why they were faffing about. I found myself unable to be particularly upset about it when the movie itself acknowledges that yes, it is wasting your time but here's why. I also feel it rewards your patience and bearing with it as it does its thing. That's just my opinion though.

There's been discussion about how this movie was kind of messageless so to speak and I'm on two minds in this because I actually feel this movie had several messages and even one overarching message. But I think the message flounders a bit because of the aforementioned faffing about. The messages are basically:
1. "Know your role and shut your hole" (a actual quote spoken many times by The Rock during his wrestling days) vs Who are you really? Be true to who you really are and your true wants and gently caress the haters.
2. See what you have and make the best of it you can with what you have. Appreciate it. Which leads into: Oh drat poo poo is hosed up. Um, make the best of it you can? Straight to: Okay, maybe we have to look elsewhere for solutions because what we have on hand isn't enough/isn't working.
3. What is a powerful being without their powers? (The progression of this storyline: I need my hook otherwise I'm useless. (I don't think Moana disagrees or contests this until later.) Yay I got my hook now! (Here Moana tells him he's Maui no matter what.) My hook is on the verge of breaking and thus rendering me useless so I'm out, bye whore. Okay never mind I'm gonna sacrifice my divinity to help achieve the goal. Okay I'm mortal now and, surprise, can still try to help yay moral of the story achieved. Oh never mind I got my hook back. Okay.)
4. gently caress inner worth, personal validation, being true to yourself and all that other stuff, it's loving bullshit. Prop yourself up and dare to be goddamn fabulous. ("Shiny" aka the best worst message.)
5. Return the gem to the goddess.

I feel the who are you? Be who you are message is the biggest and most consistent message throughout the movie where return the gem to the goddess is more the story/goal. And Moana is singularly driven towards that goal until the point where she actually gives up and I can't emphasize enough how much I like that point in the movie. There are so many movies where the hero is determined in the face of adversity and never falters despite massive setbacks and overwhelming odds and that is good and heroic and I like it but seeing the hero actually go "ugh gently caress it!" Really resonated with me because I too have thrown up my hands and quit in the face of some straight up difficult bullshit. It shows that you can get fed up and beat down and still be a hero. And when Ghost Grandma is just like, "It's okay, you don't have to do this. You can quit if you want. We [her family and people/community] will still be there for you." I was pretty happy. To see the powers that be not only not putting a gun to her head and telling her to get on with it but actually telling us quitting is okay? Big loving deal. Thank you, yes, this is good. A+

Of course Moana chooses on her own to persevere and carry on (as we all must tbh) because she is the hero. I would have preferred if this picking up and carrying on moment coincided with her finding a better way of getting the task done instead of just trying the same drat thing but better this time but eh tbh picking up and carrying on can be done both ways (finding a new way to do it or forcing your original plan through) so it's fine. And it highlights Moana's stubbornness and determination so I'll take it.

I thought the animation was really good (especially Crab Battle) and I was super impressed that they kept the goddamn autograph on the oar throughout the whole movie because I am a simple creature. I left this movie weighing it against Kubo. Ultimately I think Kubo was better. Both movies had a kind of touch and go story but Moana's was a little more detailed however Kubo's animation was just better and while it's story was kinda dumped on you and rushed it was good.

My closing thought: Moana is more of a journey/buddy movie with a touch of adventure than a grand tale. (Kubo is more of an adventure with a story.) And my south Asian relative with long wavy black hair especially loved and gushed about how realistic they were with depicting hair like that naturally and non-romantically and expressing the woes of having hair like that in the movie and I cannot let that go because that just rules. I wonder what The White Dragon, noted Polynesian guy, thinks about this movie.

It was good and I liked it. Kubo was better.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Jenner posted:

:siren: Below I talk about the movie in depth. The post is long and there are unflagged spoilers. Beware.:siren:
1. "Know your role and shut your hole" (a actual quote spoken many times by The Rock during his wrestling days) vs Who are you really? Be true to who you really are and your true wants and gently caress the haters.

I'm not a movie analysis type, but this sort of touches on one of the themes I got from the story. It wasn't so much about being true to who you are but remembering or realizing who you are. The islanders, Maui, the goddess, and even Moana all have to (re)discover a crucial aspect of themselves. For the islanders, it's that they are meant to be voyagers (which Moana was annoyingly insistent on). For Maui it's that his powers aren't what make Maui Maui which allows him to be willing to sacrifice his powers to save Moana. For the goddess, without her heart, she becomes a lava monster thing? I dunno, but that segment is clearly still about her regaining her identity as an island shaped like a sleeping woman.

In fact, the only person who knows who she is from the beginning is Moana's Grandma, who literally has her identity tattooed onto her back and who tells Moana about the secret cave. And when she comes back as a singing ghost, she helps Moana (re)discover who she's supposed to be with a song fittingly titled "I Am Moana". Moana thought the sea was calling out to her to make the journey, but really, as the song says, the call was actually coming from herself, which is why the sea doesn't give her back the heart, she dives back in for it herself. Moana then goes on to sing this song, "I know your name / [...] / This is not who you are / You know who you are", to the lava monster form of the goddess.

Also, there's a pretty big fascination on giving everything a name,. The primary characters are all named (which makes sense), but so are Moana's parents, the village itself, the pig, the chicken, the race of coconut monsters, the realm of monsters, the giant enemy crab, and the two forms of the goddess. I don't think there are quite as many named things in other Disney princess movies.

Not sure what sort of message this theme's supposed to give, though, that's distinct from "Be who you are" even though for the characters, I feel the two themes are quite distinct.

• Locked thread