Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Poorly- or unmarked construction sites. Construction near my work has gone on since time immemorial, and yet it's anybody's guess where detours, closed roads, or parking is on a given day.

If you're lucky, a piece of plywood or back of a sign will have inscrutable directions scrawled haphazardly in safety orange spray paint, which will lead you down a path of boulders into a group of workers staring incredulously at you over their lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

cyberia posted:

I know this is the most 'old man yells at cloud' peeve ever but...

People who go to a live music event and spend the entire time filming / taking photos with their phones. I went to a rave on Saturday night and people around me spent the entire time snapchatting / taking photos / videos. One girl face-time'd someone when a certain song was playing so they could hear it. I just don't understand how you can possibly enjoy the experience if you're not in the moment. If you spend the whole time trying to record how much of a good time you're having are you really having a good time? Then on Sunday night I was at a concert and pretty much everyone in the moshpit / dancefloor had their phones out; again, Snapchatting, taking selfies, shooting video, but half of them were so hosed up that all they were filming were the backs of people's heads or blurry nothing. If you've paid nearly $100 for a ticket to a show wouldn't you want to absorb the experience and let yourself enjoy the music / performance of the artists? I admit I'll snap a photo or two of the band or DJ during a slow song or if they're talking but that's it. I just don't understand the need to film 75% of a concert or performance or to take a million selfies or post a ton of clips to your snap story. Does anyone ever go back and watch those videos they take? We need to go back to the 90s ethos of dancing with your back to the DJ and just enjoying the music.

People who are constantly on their phone anywhere. My wife and I go for a lot of walks, and 85% of it she's looking at her phone. We'll sit down on a bench by the lake and she'll make me watch youtube videos while I'm trying to enjoy the evening scenery. Just show me when we get home ffs.

cyberia posted:

Secondary peeve - people who can't handle their drugs. If you're going to get high at a gig don't get so high that you blow-out and pass out in the pit. And if you're going to get super high and things are getting a bit overwhelming go and sit the gently caress down and have some water and get a grip before you try to get back on the dance floor. loving kids these days, I swear.

That's why I've never done drugs at a concert. I can handle various things pretty well, but just in case. I don't want to miss the show, I paid 80 bux for these tickets drat it.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sorry, everything you like is actually for children, unlike the things that I like.

Pet peeve: people who suck at responding to texts. There is no excuse for anyone under 30 to have a reputation for being hard to get a hold of unless they have severe depression or something.

It's me. I'm the 28 year old who doesn't respond to texts. On behalf of all of us, just call.
(To be fair, most of the texts I get are from my sister talking about what she's doing in Fallout or Skyrim. All. The. Time.)

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Nov 28, 2016

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Current peeve, short version: -- colleagues who have a meltdown over scheduling/deadlines at the 11th hour, due to their own negligence, and then expect me to gently caress over my own schedule so that they can go skipping off to commune happily with the fairies.

If I cave I get nothing in return except for stress and a really lovely schedule that will screw up some of my own future deadlines, part of my commute, and my finances (since I will end up having to cancel or blow off commitments I made in the time since I ok'd my schedule in the month since it was released).

Knowing my head of department, who is the poster child for settling conflict with the path of least resistence (whether it pisses people off or not) as well as delegating tasks downward to avoid taking responsibility, will probably pressure me to change schedules with this muppet -- setting a bad, bad precedent. (Not to mention me wanting to smack this muppet up the side of the head for not sorting out this particular issue when he had the chance not weeks, but months ago.)

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Pet peeve: people who suck at responding to texts. There is no excuse for anyone under 30 to have a reputation for being hard to get a hold of

But I h-

unless they have severe depression or something.

Aight, we good

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Low Desert Punk posted:

But I h-

Aight, we good

Or severe anxiety. I have 14 voicemails I haven't listened to. Some days I can't open my emails much less check my actual mailbox. Or make phone calls. Then I end up doing it and I'm like, "wtf was I so worried about this went well." Pet peeve: myself.

Also, people who are like, "just do [thing]". I get that you don't know how my crippling anxiety feels but when I spend 20 minutes explaining it to you every time you say that, maybe use your brain and realize I can't "just do [thing]"

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Ms Boods posted:

Current peeve, short version: -- colleagues who have a meltdown over scheduling/deadlines at the 11th hour, due to their own negligence, and then expect me to gently caress over my own schedule so that they can go skipping off to commune happily with the fairies.

Oh hi, me from Wednesday.

A client's coworker made some huge gently caress-all mistake in her budgets, charged the wrong account, and this poor lady is stuck fixing it. So she asks accounts payable to help. But they have to have a meeting NOW, TODAY, the day before Thanksgiving when almost no one is in the office, and it has to be before noon, because that's when SHE leaves to go on HER vacation. So suddenly it's everyone else's problem because her partner screwed up and absconded, and she wants to pass the buck before she can do the same. It's literally the day before Thanksgiving so they're hustling to finish out end-of-month and can't help her until after the holiday.

The kicker? I don't work in accounts payable or procurement. My department has zero to do with their budgets. I'm not even sure how I got on the email chain except she was blasting everyone who happened to be at the office that day.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

yeah ok the noisy guy got evicted BUT NOW THE APARTMENT'S BEING RENOVATED WITH A JACKHAMMER

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ms Boods posted:

Somewhat related I guess: people who refuse to schedule anything. "I'll stop by your office tomorrow" is not acceptable to me. Schedule a time, you aren't the cable guy, I'm not going to wait around wondering if you're going to show up or not. They invariably show up at a ridiculous time like 6pm. I come in at ~8am so I don't have to stay in the office until dinner time, you know this, I shouldn't have to suffer because you come in after lunch and stay until 10pm.

Also: if you do schedule a time, you drat well better show up +/- 5 minutes, or email a good excuse why you can't.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The Snoo posted:

yeah ok the noisy guy got evicted BUT NOW THE APARTMENT'S BEING RENOVATED WITH A JACKHAMMER

Holy crap, did you possibly walk under a ladder before breaking a mirror over the head of a black cat that had crossed your path? Because that's the only explanation I can think of for your luck.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

starkebn posted:

My pet peeve is english words (and other languages) you can have no idea how to pronounce unless you've already heard it. gently caress the idiots who wrote the dictionary.

My mom was a first grade teacher for over 40 years and says how she always hates having to explain to her students (especially the ESL ones) how there's no rhyme or reason to the way many words are spelled/pronounced and that you just have to memorize them.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Oh, it gets better. I've tried to work out every possible compromise that won't screw up my schedule, but nope. It's not scheduling's fault -- they can only work with the info they were given weeks/months ago, and now timetables are pretty much set. At this point, changes should really only be of a minor variety. Unless, of course, they swap two of the schedules around so that one person benefits and another gets hosed over. In this case, that's now me, through no fault of my own:

Dude is telling me he has to have either a Monday or Friday off because his partner is going back to work in January after her maternity leave is up, he has to be there one full day either on Monday or Friday, because childcare is too expensive for 5 days a week, and grandparents can't be there every week and :words:

How in the name of gently caress, exactly, are his domestic issues my problem?

As predicted, my head of dept wants me to roll over and gently caress up my own spring schedule to accommodate this muppet's wife, effectively. Thanks so much. But then again, this is the same guy who regularly caves in when students' parents phone up or email the department complaining about how their precious snowflakes are being treated.

I get exactly nothing in exchange for this except a lot of stress and pretty much loving up two planned research projects (finishing a book on the one hand, and setting out what was going to be a fairly substantial grant proposal on the other).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Forums pet peeve: people who quote a really long post (either because there's a lot of text, or a series of images) before their response. Cut out everything but what you're commenting on, and I don't have to scroll so much!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Pet peeve: people who suck at responding to texts. There is no excuse for anyone under 30 to have a reputation for being hard to get a hold of unless they have severe depression or something.

Hi, I'm 29, a recovering call center rep, and when I come home from work, I throw my purse (with my phone in it) into my bedroom before I come back out to the living room to chill out. This is a bad habit and I am working on it. I'm just not nearly as glued to my phone as most people are, for better or worse. (edit: at least I'm not the kind of jackass who is so into their phone that I zigzag across the sidewalk because I can't be bothered to stop looking at Facebook for long enough to walk somewhere?)

At the very least, I have discovered the joys of cats on Instagram, so I have slight encouragement to look at my phone slightly more than I do. :shrug:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ms Boods posted:

Oh, it gets better. I've tried to work out every possible compromise that won't screw up my schedule, but nope. It's not scheduling's fault -- they can only work with the info they were given weeks/months ago, and now timetables are pretty much set. At this point, changes should really only be of a minor variety. Unless, of course, they swap two of the schedules around so that one person benefits and another gets hosed over. In this case, that's now me, through no fault of my own:

Dude is telling me he has to have either a Monday or Friday off because his partner is going back to work in January after her maternity leave is up, he has to be there one full day either on Monday or Friday, because childcare is too expensive for 5 days a week, and grandparents can't be there every week and :words:

How in the name of gently caress, exactly, are his domestic issues my problem?

As predicted, my head of dept wants me to roll over and gently caress up my own spring schedule to accommodate this muppet's wife, effectively. Thanks so much. But then again, this is the same guy who regularly caves in when students' parents phone up or email the department complaining about how their precious snowflakes are being treated.

I get exactly nothing in exchange for this except a lot of stress and pretty much loving up two planned research projects (finishing a book on the one hand, and setting out what was going to be a fairly substantial grant proposal on the other).

So, I get that it's not always this simple, but what happens if you just say "Sorry, I already have plans for those days"? Particularly it sounds like it's entirely true (beyond the usual "I plan not to be at work" sort of plans).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

Hi, I'm 29, a recovering call center rep, and when I come home from work, I throw my purse (with my phone in it) into my bedroom before I come back out to the living room to chill out. This is a bad habit and I am working on it. I'm just not nearly as glued to my phone as most people are, for better or worse. (edit: at least I'm not the kind of jackass who is so into their phone that I zigzag across the sidewalk because I can't be bothered to stop looking at Facebook for long enough to walk somewhere?)

This doesn't sound like a bad habit to me. You are not obliged to be available to all and sundry 24/7 just because technology exists that allows you to do so.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

cyberia posted:

People who go to a live music event and spend the entire time filming / taking photos with their phones.
Related: flash photography. I was at an event this summer where artist projected short animations onto landmark buildings, and people constantly took pictures with flash. Apart from the fact that the whole point was animations: we're outdoors, it's pitch dark, and we're supposed to watch a light show. How does it not occur to anyone that a thousand flashes going off every second is kinda counterproductive? Not only to watching the projection, but all you're gonna get on your picture is a bunch of overexposed backs of heads.

Specifically there was one kid with a camera that seriously lit up the whole area bright as day every time it went off. I had to move a long way away from that because I felt I was developing epilepsy on the spot. Who puts that on a camera let alone one for children?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

At the very least, I have discovered the joys of cats on Instagram, so I have slight encouragement to look at my phone slightly more than I do. :shrug:

I'm thinking more of people who take literally days to respond to things.

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
Family members who inevitably ask at gatherings if I have a Facebook account yet.

You know I'm not an outgoing person and have my phone number. If you really need to contact me call me or send a text. Not everyone wants to spend all their free time constantly wading through selfies, pictures of your meal or family drama on Facebook.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

How about people who don't respond but you know they've seen it because when you are around said person they are always messing with their phone?

Perhaps when people do this to me they simply don't want to talk to me. :(

Devdisigdu posted:

Family members who inevitably ask at gatherings if I have a Facebook account yet.

You know I'm not an outgoing person and have my phone number. If you really need to contact me call me or send a text. Not everyone wants to spend all their free time constantly wading through selfies, pictures of your meal or family drama on Facebook.

They want to keep in touch without making an effort to do so.

bean_shadow has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Nov 28, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

docbeard posted:

This doesn't sound like a bad habit to me. You are not obliged to be available to all and sundry 24/7 just because technology exists that allows you to do so.

Whew :sweatdrop:

I'm thinking more of people who take literally days to respond to things.

I do feel bad when I find out seven hours later that my grandmother hopes I had a nice day, which is why I'm trying to at least abandon my phone in the living room these days.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

docbeard posted:

I agree. I've been making a conscious effort to leave my phone at home when I walk my dog each night and it's nice just to tune out and not be tempted to play with my phone for an hour. I think people need to find a balance between having their phone in their hand 24/7 and actively ignoring it for days at a time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Somewhat related I guess: people who refuse to schedule anything. "I'll stop by your office tomorrow" is not acceptable to me. Schedule a time, you aren't the cable guy, I'm not going to wait around wondering if you're going to show up or not. They invariably show up at a ridiculous time like 6pm. I come in at ~8am so I don't have to stay in the office until dinner time, you know this, I shouldn't have to suffer because you come in after lunch and stay until 10pm.
I get this all the time and I don't understand it. I've had so many phone conversations with tradesmen and similar where they just don't seem to grasp the concept that I can be available at any time they specify, but I do have other stuff to do, so I can't be available literally all day just hanging around waiting for them to show up.

Devdisigdu posted:

Get an account, check once a day for notifications and messages and ignore everything else. It's really no more hassle than email.

bean_shadow posted:

They want to keep in touch without making an effort to do so.
These days, not having a Facebook account is like someone thirty years ago saying "No, I don't have a telephone, if you really wanted to talk to me you could write a letter." You're just making yourself inconvenient to talk to and it's your own fault that you don't hear from people and get overlooked for event invitations, etc.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
My friend asked me to join their RPG group. I said sure and asked them about the setting. They won't tell me? Like, any time I ask for specific information, they just say it's "open-ended pretendy funtimes game, just make up what you want!" but at the same time there clearly IS an established setting for the group because they gave me a list of locations and asked which one my character is from. I asked for more information beyond... a list of loving names of places I know nothing about... and got the "oh it's an open-ended pretendy funtimes game!" non-answer. I'm very annoyed about it and will probably just not play

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

InediblePenguin posted:

My friend asked me to join their RPG group. I said sure and asked them about the setting. They won't tell me? Like, any time I ask for specific information, they just say it's "open-ended pretendy funtimes game, just make up what you want!" but at the same time there clearly IS an established setting for the group because they gave me a list of locations and asked which one my character is from. I asked for more information beyond... a list of loving names of places I know nothing about... and got the "oh it's an open-ended pretendy funtimes game!" non-answer. I'm very annoyed about it and will probably just not play

It's a Call of Cthulhu rpg. They aren't telling you that because popular culture is too aware of Lovecraft's works these days, they don't evoke the existential horror that they used to. So the best way of creating that dread, that fear of the unknown that Lovecraft wrote about, is if the players literally don't know what they're getting into. Oh it'll start normally enough, characters will be wenching and bluffing guards, and then things will start to go a bit wrong. Eventually your characters are just going to be trying to survive with a sliver of their sanity left. That will be the closest thing to victory they can achieve.

Sorry I ruined the surprise.

(Honestly I'm 95% sure that it's just going to be rolling dice and quoting Monte Python and poo poo. But I can always hope.)

docbeard posted:

Pet peeve: A culture that actually makes people feel bad for wanting to disconnect for a loving hour.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
When someone makes a stupid pun in a thread and then 10 people trip over themselves to continue making vaguely related puns. Even if the first one was funny, the entire next page is sure not to be.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Tiggum posted:

These days, not having a Facebook account is like someone thirty years ago saying "No, I don't have a telephone, if you really wanted to talk to me you could write a letter." You're just making yourself inconvenient to talk to and it's your own fault that you don't hear from people and get overlooked for event invitations, etc.

My thought on it is, if someone actually wants to talk to me / cares they would make the effort to text. If they don't, then I'm clearly not important enough to them. And 99% of my friend list was just random people and not anyone I particularly cared about myself, like weird internet friends, old coworkers, etc. I just don't see the point :shrug:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Thin Privilege posted:

And 99% of my friend list was just random people and not anyone I particularly cared about myself, like weird internet friends, old coworkers, etc. I just don't see the point :shrug:

This is your fault. I have 27 people on my Facebook friends list.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I'd say this was much more accurate for like 2006-2010ish but at least in my age/friend group, hardly anyone is still active on it aside from the ones who had kids and need to post about their poo poo (sometimes literally) every day, or the ones who got roped into MLMs and use it for another shilling platform. It's certainly not dead but it's getting to be kind of like AIM where at one point that's pretty much how everyone on the internet talked to each other but it's declining in popularity.

If you want to invite someone to something and know how to get in touch with them but you choose not to just because it's not your preferred means of communication, you're kind of a dick and/or didn't want them to come anyway in the first place.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If you want to invite someone to something and know how to get in touch with them but you choose not to just because it's not your preferred means of communication, you're kind of a dick and/or didn't want them to come anyway in the first place.

The thing is, Facebook is basically like an address book. When you're thinking about who to invite, you look through your friends list. If someone's not on Facebook then you just don't see their name and it's really easy to overlook them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

The thing is, Facebook is basically like an address book. When you're thinking about who to invite, you look through your friends list. If someone's not on Facebook then you just don't see their name and it's really easy to overlook them.

There's also your phones contact list/whatsapp, or just, you know, remembering who your friends are.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm rapidly discovering a new pet peeve, which revolves around people looking for stuff in my office and whispering to themselves. I feel like I'm in one of those creepy ASMR videos and hope she finds whatever it is she's looking for extremely soon.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, if Tiggum is to be believed, not having a Facebook account makes me less likely to be invited to parties.

Maybe there's a downside as well.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Tiggum posted:

Like I said, if they actually cared about you they would remember you regardless of whether or not you have a facebook.

Content: people with the default iPhone ringtone. I may have complained about this already. It's extremely annoying.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Our laptops at the office use some pretty glitchy WiFi drivers that can't handle the laptop being closed and then opening again, as well as remote desktop software that just crashes to desktop when it loses its internet connection. The result of this combination is that closing your laptop significantly disrupts your workspace.

This is not my pet peeve. My pet peeve is that people have adapted to this by carrying around their laptops, open. Sometimes holding onto them by a corner, dangling at their side like a toddler holds a favourite blanket.

I have no reason to hate this, but I guess that's what makes it a pet peeve. You all look ridiculous! Close your drat laptops and take the 5 seconds to restore your sessions!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

Like I said, if they actually cared about you they would remember you regardless of whether or not you have a facebook.

I don't see what's so wrong with wanting to talk to/invite people who you aren't necessarily close with. I mean, reaching out to people you don't know well is how you become close to them in the first place.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah but why does Facebook have to be the gatekeeper for that? The only people I know who still uses that are grandmas.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Ytlaya posted:

I don't see what's so wrong with wanting to talk to/invite people who you aren't necessarily close with. I mean, reaching out to people you don't know well is how you become close to them in the first place.

I don't have a problem with facebook in general, or with people inviting people they aren't close with. What I meant was that if they're inviting said people and they don't invite you simply because you're not on facebook, that pretty much means they don't care enough about you.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I have no opinions on Facebook.

I DO hate when people get all cheerful and pleased about unnatural weather patterns. It always happens this time of year, with people saying how much they just love the temperature staying in the 60s throughout October/November, and every time it dips below 50 you get someone whining about how they wish it could stay 70 forever. The news meteorologist just said something like "Well, we've been spoiled by this fantastic weather so far, but now it looks like that's over-- pretty sad about that, right?"

No, motherfucker! Being this warm in November isn't awesome, it's unnerving! :argh: I realize how much this makes me sound like some kind of bizarre weather zealot, but every time someone says "Oh golly gee, don't you just love that it's 70 degrees again?" I want to scream and smack them with a report on climate change.

Plus, every time the temperature goes back up, all the bugs un-freeze and I just want to be rid of them already. :colbert:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

On one hand, yeah, record-setting warmth is definitely disconcerting and I fear for the future.

On the other hand, I live in Minnesota and will take mild winter weather for as long I can get it, particularly if I have the complete and inevitable destruction of humanity to look forward to later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Waste of time loving meetings. Bonus points for the people not in the meeting frantically covering all the shifts and positions of the six fuckers who decided to still have the drat meeting while we are short staffed, leading to orders running late, pissed customers, refunds, etc. Because those six people and the boss looked at the roster, saw all the bright flashing red ERROR messages, and decided no, we still need our hour long meeting to sit around and read off a powerpoint presentation and take notes about general safety.

I was person number 7 and I said gently caress it and kept on my route, which led to me staying 30 minutes late to try and cover the other shift issues.