Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

According to the QR code/island scan list, Togekiss is Tuesday's spawn for Poni Island. So in less than 24 hours you have a shot of getting one yourself.

Can you SOS chain island scan Pokemon tho? I've been in such a rush to catch them that I haven't bothered to find out.

Thanks! So I have a day to clear the game, I guess haha

You cannot SOS chain island scan Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Alxprit posted:

Speaking of Pheromosa, what happens if the two highest stats are tied and Beast Boost activates?

It prioritizes in this order if there's a tie, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Silvally-Grass, maybe? It can get Rock Slide for Bug and Fire types, and it gets the fangs for coverage.

That's not a bad idea. I really do want to use Type: Null/Silvally at some point. But if you can't get it until the post-game and they can't breed.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 28, 2016

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I somehow ended up with way too many physical attackers. My team right now includes Lycanroc, Minior, Golem, Mudsdale, Lurantis, Araquanid, Golisopod, Incineroar, Dugtrio, Raticate, Persian, Komala, and one or two others... while for special attackers I have Salazzle, Kadabra, and freaking Pelipper. Where did I go wrong? What have I missed? I feel like I'm pretty far, currently making my way through Po Town.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Finally reached the fourth island, having a ton of fun still

Golisopod is a monster and carries my team, Minior is finally becoming really useful, Mimikyu is fun

Decidueye is the ultimate decider though, Sinister Arrow Raid has yet to not one-shot anything it has hit, then again he's level 61

Rowlet is the coolest starter

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm still pretty early in the game and I beat the first kahuna. Then I went around the island with Tauros smashing boulders and collecting items. (spoilers for new players) Then I ran into a lady and her Machamp at the cemetery. I did not expect a story about her husband dying in an accident. It's surprising to see a Pokemon game talk about dealing with death and emotions so frankly.

Also, Wonder Trade finally paid off. It was mostly an endless stream of Rattatas and Zubats, and then I got a Popplio and a Pheromosa. :drat:

My in-game team right now: Dartrix, Pikipek, Slowpoke, Geodude, Grimer, and Jangmo-o. I got everything set up early thanks to GTS. This probably won't change but we'll see!

guts and bolts posted:

Rowlet is the coolest starter

:agreed: When was the last time we had such a good Grass starter?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DizzyBum posted:

I'm still pretty early in the game and I beat the first kahuna. Then I went around the island with Tauros smashing boulders and collecting items. (spoilers for new players) Then I ran into a lady and her Machamp at the cemetery. I did not expect a story about her husband dying in an accident. It's surprising to see a Pokemon game talk about dealing with death and emotions so frankly.

Also, Wonder Trade finally paid off. It was mostly an endless stream of Rattatas and Zubats, and then I got a Popplio and a Pheromosa. :drat:

My in-game team right now: Dartrix, Pikipek, Slowpoke, Geodude, Grimer, and Jangmo-o. I got everything set up early thanks to GTS. This probably won't change but we'll see!

:agreed: When was the last time we had such a good Grass starter?

Man Among Men Chesnaught :colbert:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Man Among Men Chesnaught :colbert:

True, I did like Chesnaught. Greninja just completely blew the others out of the water, pun intended.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Chill Penguin posted:

I somehow ended up with way too many physical attackers. My team right now includes Lycanroc, Minior, Golem, Mudsdale, Lurantis, Araquanid, Golisopod, Incineroar, Dugtrio, Raticate, Persian, Komala, and one or two others... while for special attackers I have Salazzle, Kadabra, and freaking Pelipper. Where did I go wrong? What have I missed? I feel like I'm pretty far, currently making my way through Po Town.

There's like 4 or 5 dedicated special attacker lines among the new pokemon. Two of them are Primarina, a starter, and Drampa, a Moon exclusive. (I say "dedicated" because there are a few lines, like Rowlet, whose attack and special attack are almost the same but they learn few special moves by level up.) Expanding the scope to the whole Alola Pokedex gives you maybe 10 lines total. A lot of the new pokemon are incredibly strong physical attackers. I don't know what Game Freak was thinking with this distribution. It also seems like the new physical attackers all have >100 Attack, while the new Special Attackers are much lower.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My Decidueye has been kinda underwhelming every time, dying really hard whenever she got sent out, and always going second.

Then I found out why

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

(spoilers for new players) Then I ran into a lady and her Machamp at the cemetery. I did not expect a story about her husband dying in an accident. It's surprising to see a Pokemon game talk about dealing with death and emotions so frankly.

It has a few of those moments, and there's an entire quest post-game that gets extremely real. I really like it and I honestly think it's healthy, so props to GF.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Senerio posted:

My Decidueye has been kinda underwhelming every time, dying really hard whenever she got sent out, and always going second.

Then I found out why

Decidueye is slow as all hell to begin with. Even with max speed EVs it has garbage speed

On an unrelated note, I've got two questions for more seasoned Battle Spot/Showdown/VGC players:

- Is there any way to reset my Battle Spot ranking back to 1500? I've been on an awful, awful, awful run (and trying gimmicky poo poo in ratings battles) lately on top of my not being very good to begin with and I'm down to 1330 and I'm not getting fast matches anymore since I think it tries to match you around your anking

- This is probably super elementary but what's the best way to counter Trick Room if you don't have your own Trick Room setter? By that I mean if the lead is Oranguru and Marowak I know I have to stop Oranguru somehow but if you can't OHKO or 2HKO the Trick Room setter do you just have to fuckin' deal?

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 28, 2016

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-485128631

"Hmm, I think I'll play some Gen 7 Randoms...Wait, what the gently caress is this thing? WHY DID NO ONE EVER TELL ME THAT GEN 7 HAD NEW POKEMON!?!?!?"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Senerio posted:

Then I found out why

Artemis is a very clever name. I called my Gastly F. Scott and my Wingull Mace Wingull

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Does anyone know when the soonest you can get Vulpix is? The pokedex is making it look like it's stuck in the mountainous area where the league is going to be and I'm probably not going to be able to get to 'til way later, but I did just pick up an Ice Stone in Po Town so...

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Scrap Dragon posted:

Does anyone know when the soonest you can get Vulpix is? The pokedex is making it look like it's stuck in the mountainous area where the league is going to be and I'm probably not going to be able to get to 'til way later, but I did just pick up an Ice Stone in Po Town so...

You actually could've caught it back in the grass in Tapu Village.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Scrap Dragon posted:

You can pick up one in Tapu Village if you have Sun. 10% chance in the grass.
e: Raise it up to at least lvl 36 before evolving. It learns Ice Beam then, and Blizzard at 42. (Blizzard is only useful if you have the HA one, though) Only learns one move as a Ninetales, and that's Dazzling Gleam when it first evolves.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Supremezero posted:

You actually could've caught it back in the grass in Tapu Village.

Dang, thanks, don't know how I missed that

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ometeotl posted:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-485128631

"Hmm, I think I'll play some Gen 7 Randoms...Wait, what the gently caress is this thing? WHY DID NO ONE EVER TELL ME THAT GEN 7 HAD NEW POKEMON!?!?!?"
It's even Mimikyu for maximum value.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I went with a Greek Goddess theme for my team. My favorites are Hera the Tsareena and Aphrodite the Salazzle.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blaziken386 posted:

You can pick up one in Tapu Village if you have Sun. 10% chance in the grass.
e: Raise it up to at least lvl 36 before evolving. It learns Ice Beam then, and Blizzard at 42. (Blizzard is only useful if you have the HA one, though) Only learns one move as a Ninetales, and that's Dazzling Gleam when it first evolves.

It doesn't take much longer after that to get the Blizzard TM anyway, so eh.

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!
So what exactly does that stat graph on the party summary screen show? Is it based on the base stat totals of the poke or is it IVs or something else?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
EVs I believe. The one you press Y to get to from the summary screen?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I called my Salandit Queen Liz and my Oranguru MaudLebowski and my Bonsly Carl Winslow and my Zubats WhoIsRonPaul(for wonder trades)

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I waded through 600-700 aborted Staryus to get a shiny for nearly 4 straight days in ORAS (sunk cost fallacy) and then I get a shiny Hawlucha in barely 50. I was doubting that the Masuda method was actually being applied because of a funky setup I have going, but evidently I was mistaken. Got a Timid black Charizard on the cheap on GTS too so hopefully I'm done with the loop of egg hell until my copy of Moon arrives in Dec

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Perfect Potato posted:

I waded through 600-700 aborted Staryus to get a shiny for nearly 4 straight days in ORAS (sunk cost fallacy) and then I get a shiny Hawlucha in barely 50. I was doubting that the Masuda method was actually being applied because of a funky setup I have going, but evidently I was mistaken. Got a Timid black Charizard on the cheap on GTS too so hopefully I'm done with the loop of egg hell until my copy of Moon arrives in Dec
A funky setup? Something like playing a Japanese cart on a Japanese DS with game language set to English or something?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

greatn posted:

I called my Salandit Queen Liz and my Oranguru MaudLebowski and my Bonsly Carl Winslow and my Zubats WhoIsRonPaul(for wonder trades)

A lot of good names here. I called my Caterpie McClane for the inevitable Butterfree, Die Hard. Also my Munchlax is called Vegetables which is just a good name imo.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Do I need to have cleared the game in order to utilize Island Scan?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Senerio posted:

I went with a Greek Goddess theme for my team. My favorites are Hera the Tsareena and Aphrodite the Salazzle.

I like the cut of your jibe friend. I too do mythology/folklore theme naming. Circe the Mismagius can testify.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Note Block posted:

Do I need to have cleared the game in order to utilize Island Scan?

No, but it might be on a route on the island you have yet to get to, so save before you do it in case he shows up in a postgame only route.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Senerio posted:

Flopsy posted:

I like the cut of your jibe friend. I too do mythology/folklore theme naming. Circe the Mismagius can testify.

My real name is Athena and I approve of this

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Athena was the name of my Noctowl who was the MVP of my HG team. That was a fun one because I researched mythology extensively for all the nicknames I did. Athena was easy though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sockser posted:

I found a shiny !

.... oh :smith:

Alright so this fine lady is Naughty which isn't great but is workable.

Should I immediately ice stone it into Ninetails or is there any work to do while it's still a Vulpix?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
All aboard the theme name train! I'm doing Russian literature with Rodion (raskolnikov) the Rowlet and Irina the wingull, and Pushkin the pichu.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I did not do major research on naming my Pokemon. I named my Rowlet "Robin Hoot" and my Slowpoke "Derp".

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Chill Penguin posted:

Alolan Persian is a special attacker, for one. At that point I was also using Ribombee and Pallosand, and a Toxapex whose only offensive move was Venoshock. You can also pick up Vulpix (in Sun) and Snorunt in the town before Po Town.

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!

Senerio posted:

EVs I believe. The one you press Y to get to from the summary screen?

Yeah, that one. I didn't even realize there was a second graph if you press Y.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Sockser posted:

Alright so this fine lady is Naughty which isn't great but is workable.

Should I immediately ice stone it into Ninetails or is there any work to do while it's still a Vulpix?

It's Prevo moves are
Powder Snow
Icy Wind
Mist
Aurora Beam
Sheer Cold

If you think you want any of these, then keep her as a Vulpix, (though she's outlevelled the first four), or talk to the heart scale lady at the Pokemon League pokemon center.

Otherwise feel free to evolve her.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Senerio posted:

Athena was the name of my Noctowl who was the MVP of my HG team. That was a fun one because I researched mythology extensively for all the nicknames I did. Athena was easy though.

I am a horrific history nerd so expect any poke to have some ancient reference. Planning on nicknaming my Vulpix Poliahu because I gotta stick with a theme godammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Senerio posted:

It's Prevo moves are
Powder Snow
Icy Wind
Mist
Aurora Beam
Sheer Cold

If you think you want any of these, then keep her as a Vulpix, (though she's outlevelled the first four), or talk to the heart scale lady at the Pokemon League pokemon center.

Otherwise feel free to evolve her.

Blizzard as well, which is great if you have Hail or Snow Warning