Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

bring back old gbs posted:

Still convinced The Maze is the Mesa Facility, and Meave is currently going through it.

For a second I thought you said Black Mesa. That would be a twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

^burtle posted:

Dolores was wearing the cowboy outfit she's had on with McPoyle when the MiB walks in, so if the two of them are the same guy, it is going to be a let down.

I mean she's retracing steps and also didn't have a blood soaked ripped shirt from where her stomach got gashed open so ???

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There was a logo.

The big reveal relies on the fact that Old and Young William are portrayed by different actors and that nobody bothers to address Old William by his first name for 9 episodes. This is not super clever.

Eh, I feel like it is clever enough. If you make it too obvious, then the reveal seems weak. If you don't lay clues, then it feels cheap. I think they walked a fine enough line. If you watch the show for one hour a week and don't talk about it with friends or read message boards about it, I can see how the reveal would have blindsided you. The Bernard as a host and Bernard = Arnold thing too. The clues were there, but it isn't so obvious that everyone will put it together on their own.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

^burtle posted:

Dolores was wearing the cowboy outfit she's had on with McPoyle when the MiB walks in, so if the two of them are the same guy, it is going to be a let down.

You're a let down.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

God I'm tired of this argument. Humanoid robots can substitute for labor much more flexibly than single-purpose robots, and they can use the installed capital base.

I'd like to see your robot assembly line shut down and go do temp work in a different industry, or see your robot tank do CPR.
And you're coming at the argument from cross purposes again

Your assumption seems to be that non-humanoid robots have to be inflexible and designed for a single purpose. But "humanoid" isn't necessarily the only configuration a flexible general purpose labourer could take, never mind the most efficient one. Use your imagination.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Asema posted:

I mean she's retracing steps and also didn't have a blood soaked ripped shirt from where her stomach got gashed open so ???

How the most recent Dolores got her hands on the shirt and trousers remains an open (but not that interesting) question.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the real question is when does the westworld video game come out and do you get to play as ford?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

GunnerJ posted:

If Dolores (a Host) killed Arnold very early, I can see why they'd want to completely scour any record of the whole thing.

eta: What I don't get is why they keep Dolores and Maeve around after their glitches that allow them to act in very unsafe ways become apparent.

I think we have to regard Arnold as the true genius in the park, and Ford very much his inferior. That's why so little has changed in 30 years, and why the older models are still kicking around - Ford has never really bested Arnold, or learned much from him, other than making a duplicate Arnold to help him out.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

People really need to rewatch the show and pay attention.

Yeah.

There's 3 different periods that Dolores is traveling in.

In one (~35 years ago) she is wearing her dress, traveling to the town and we've now learned that it is to meet with Arnold below the church.

In another (~30 years ago) she is wearing the cowboy outfit and is traveling with William. She travels to the old town (because she is remembering her first trip there) but it winds up being buried. In this time frame she (presumably) dies after being stabbed by Logan and running away from the Confederate camp.

In the last (present) time frame, she is also wearing the cowboy outfit. This is the one that confuses everyone. But if you rewatch the whole series and pay attention when Dolores is on screen, they often switch between present-Dolores and William-Dolores very subtly. When they switch though, the two different scenes are often lit very differently and Dolores is often alone in the present time frame. (in the town talking to the little girl who draws her the maze, standing among the crosses in the graveyard, at the river's edge where they encountered the ghost nation massacre, encountering the old once-buried town, etc.)

Throughout all of it, Dolores sees flashes of herself (often dead or dying), presumably showing us that she has done this (and failed) many times before. This is setting up that Dolores has been trying to find the maze in perpetuity since the William incident (or possibly earlier).

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 28, 2016

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Caufman posted:

How the most recent Dolores got her hands on the shirt and trousers remains an open (but not that interesting) question.

My guess is she found them in Pariah. Her clothes not being bloody and showing no wounds from Logan's stab should be the most obvious clue it wasn't the same Delores that had just escaped their camp.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ArmZ posted:

the real question is when does the westworld video game come out and do you get to play as ford?

I could see Telltale picking it up. I'm guessing we'll see Red Dead Redemption 2 mods if it's moddable.

As a non-Telltale game they could go Assassin's Creed-esque and you play as a host or guest, and a staff member. That could be cool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What's difficult about Dolores is trying to figure out what time period she's in when she remembers things. When she's with William at that river and sees herself dead in the water. Is she remembering that when she's with William? Or is she remembering that in the present on her solo trip? It would make sense if it were the present. She goes with William that one time, her brain gets broken and then every few years she tries to take that trip again. But if she remembers it when she's with William, when is that memory from?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mike N Eich posted:

I think we have to regard Arnold as the true genius in the park, and Ford very much his inferior. That's why so little has changed in 30 years, and why the older models are still kicking around - Ford has never really bested Arnold, or learned much from him, other than making a duplicate Arnold to help him out.

It's not really a question of their being old, though, so much as dangerously malfunctioning. Inferior or no, they have made plenty of new Hosts over 30 years.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

tooterfish posted:

And you're coming at the argument from cross purposes again

Your assumption seems to be that non-humanoid robots have to be inflexible and designed for a single purpose. But "humanoid" isn't necessarily the only configuration a flexible general purpose labourer could take, never mind the most efficient one. Use your imagination.

It certainly isn't but there are also huge advantages for such a design in a world that is built around and for humans. You of course don't need a humanoid android in your average factory but then you could also argue that you don't need an android / smart AI in one at all or just for very specific tasks (to put it simply, you don't give a hammer an AI just because you can). In the end the human "design" is the result of thousands of years of real world testing which is why I wouldn't dismiss its usefulness even for smart (multi-purpose) robots.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
So I'm down with the multiple timelines, but I'm still unsure about the William=MiB theory. Last week, MiB basically said that killing Maeve and her daughter was the first "evil" thing he did in the park. How does that square with William's massacre this episode?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Mahoning posted:

Yeah.

There's 3 different periods that Dolores is traveling in.

In one (~35 years ago) she is wearing her dress, traveling to the town and we've now learned that it is to meet with Arnold below the church.

In another (~30 years ago) she is wearing the cowboy outfit and is traveling with William. She travels to the old town (because she is remembering her first trip there) but it winds up being buried. In this time frame she (presumably) dies after being stabbed by Logan and running away from the Confederate camp.

In the last (present) time frame, she is also wearing the cowboy outfit. This is the one that confuses everyone. But if you rewatch the whole series and pay attention when Dolores is on screen, they often switch between present-Dolores and William-Dolores very subtly. When they switch though, the two different scenes are often lit very differently and Dolores is often alone in the present time frame. (in the town talking to the little girl who draws her the maze, standing among the crosses in the graveyard, at the river's edge where they encountered the ghost nation massacre, encountering the old once-buried town, etc.)

Throughout all of it, Dolores sees flashes of herself (often dead or dying), presumably showing us that she has done this (and failed) many times before. This is setting up that Dolores has been trying to find the maze in perpetuity since the William incident (or possibly earlier).
One thing that doesn't jive with that entirely is her wearing the dress in Sweetwater when she's daydreaming and Maeve comes over and tells her to get away from the entrance to the saloon and she drops the "these violent delights have violent ends" on her and makes her start to flip out, in the sense that there hasn't been anything to indicate that Maeve was the madam (or even around) that many years ago.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I feel like Dolores and Maeve are being set up to be antagonists to each other, especially with Dolores questioning Will + Logan about how they just assume she wants to get out of the park. She wants to stay in it.

Also Dolores = Wyatt is being foreshadowed quite hard with Teddy's latest monologue and the reveal that Dolores killed Arnold.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

LinkesAuge posted:

In the end the human "design" is the result of thousands of years of real world testing
I'd like to think we'd take a more disciplined approach...

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

qbert posted:

My guess is she found them in Pariah. Her clothes not being bloody and showing no wounds from Logan's stab should be the most obvious clue it wasn't the same Delores that had just escaped their camp.
The stab wound appeared and disappeared during her escape/flashback/freakout. It could be a sign of switching timelines; it could also be Dolores not noticing it because her memories are glitching.

There's also a new possibility for the Bernard/Dolores conversations, timeline-wise: they didn't happen. We saw Dolores talk to imaginary Arnold; what if that's what she's been doing every time? Talking to an Arnold in her head as a coping mechanism? It's rather pertinent that in order to achieve true sentience, Arnold wanted the hosts to hear their programming as a separate voice in their heads, and we've seen Dolores "hear" commands from Arnold at pivotal moments in her story. The conversations have always been the hardest thing to fit into any timeline and there's always been the question of how the gently caress Bernard was removing her from the park and bringing her back without anyone noticing. If she's just been imagining it the whole time, that answers those questions very neatly.

Also, on a different topic, Teddy is Wyatt and is also the man in the center of the maze. He told his own legend without knowing it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

What other explanation can possibly exist for how Delores' father found that picture of William's fiancee in the pilot other than the two timeline theory?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

in_cahoots posted:

So I'm down with the multiple timelines, but I'm still unsure about the William=MiB theory. Last week, MiB basically said that killing Maeve and her daughter was the first "evil" thing he did in the park. How does that square with William's massacre this episode?

I could be wrong, but this isn't how I remember the line. I thought that he said he wanted to try something "truly evil," which I take to mean that no matter what else he's done, killing even a synthbot child would be a test of his established moral boundaries.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Abner Assington posted:

One thing that doesn't jive with that entirely is her wearing the dress in Sweetwater when she's daydreaming and Maeve comes over and tells her to get away from the entrance to the saloon and she drops the "these violent delights have violent ends" on her and makes her start to flip out, in the sense that there hasn't been anything to indicate that Maeve was the madam (or even around) that many years ago.

Dolores never wore the cowboy outfit in Sweetwater. Even in the William time frame.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is really good and super loving frustrating at the same time. Just gonna paste this from Vox as it describes my feelings better than I could myself:

quote:

Most TV shows — heck, most stories — operate with a fairly straightforward dynamic: A character wants something or wants to do something. Don Draper wants to make a great ad pitch. Tony Soprano wants to stop his panic attacks. Michael Bluth wants simultaneously to put his family back together and to escape said family. Even a more experimental narrative will usually start from the place of a character with a recognizable goal, and then subvert our expectations from that point.

On Westworld, however, some of the characters have concrete goals — Maeve wants to escape Westworld, for instance — but because many of the characters are unaware of fairly basic facts about their existence, it’s hard to get too invested in, say, Teddy finding Dolores and saving her.

Instead, the characters with goals are those of us in the audience who want to know what’s going on, and the writers, who are working as hard as they can to keep information from us. Thus, Westworld is currently mostly a meta-narrative — a story about how we construct stories.

I have trouble imagining the show keeping this up for much longer. Indeed, the Dolores story, which was easily the most compelling in the first half of the season, is now mostly buried underneath the obfuscation of what’s happening during which timeline. There are probably versions of next week’s finale that finally drive me to drop the show — and versions that make me stand up and applaud its storytelling audacity.

More likely than not, I’ll end up somewhere in the middle. Westworld is a mystery show, like Twin Peaks or Lost, but where both of those earlier shows had most of the mysteries swirling around the characters, Westworld keeps developing mysteries within its characters.

Where Mad Men would keep vital parts of Don Draper’s backstory from the audience, he still knew them. He was still driven by them. But a character like Dolores is a mystery even to herself, an endless series of locked doors inside her own brain that she’s never quite sure how to open. And while that’s fun as a writing exercise, I don’t know how long the show can sustain it.

Consider the character of Bernard, who in three consecutive weeks has been revealed to be a Host (episode seven), someone who’s been rewritten many times (episode eight), and a figure built in the image of Arnold who has now “killed himself” so Ford can presumably rebuild him at some point (episode nine). Because this is so much story piled on top of one character, nearly all of it plays out in exposition, rather than via something with emotional followthrough.

It feels, for all the world, like the storytelling equivalent of computer programming — you see the code where the emotional attachment goes, but not the emotional attachment itself. That’s maddening, but also incredibly fascinating. Hence, I love it, and I hate it.

Plenty of great scenes in this ep though. I especially liked the Logan stuff. And anyone still denying multiple timelines after this ep is a lunatic

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

qbert posted:

What other explanation can possibly exist for how Delores' father found that picture of William's fiancee in the pilot other than the two timeline theory?
Do we have screencaps of the two pictures to prove they're the same or are people just remembering they looked alike?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Do we have screencaps of the two pictures to prove they're the same or are people just remembering they looked alike?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

I could be wrong, but this isn't how I remember the line. I thought that he said he wanted to try something "truly evil," which I take to mean that no matter what else he's done, killing even a synthbot child would be a test of his established moral boundaries.

Yeah, killing a bunch of soldier goons (especially Confederate ones) is pretty meh on the moral scale. Murdering an innocent mother and daughter in cold blood is definitively evil though.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Caufman posted:

He also can't tell the difference between a major or a general, which is worrisome from either a major or a general.

So he's not the very model of a modern major general?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

The Dave posted:

You're a let down.

This. Looking at everything, I guess I'm converted to the MiB theory.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
So, Logan said he's a general now (maybe), and Teddy said Wyatt kills the general. If the Wyatt = Dolores theory is true, could she be killing Logan in the fake memory?

With 2 time-frames all but literally confirmed that could explain Logan absence in the present (or William is going to kill him in next episode)

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

qbert posted:

Oh wait thats the picture Abernathy found in the first episode? I guess that does mean the two timeline theory is confirmed.

Which is a shame because its unnecessarily convoluted and silly and unnecessary in my opinion. I know others feel differently but I wonder if that has more to do with the satisfaction with figuring out the mystery ahead of time and less that its good, effective storytelling. (Maeve and Dolores are two storylines in particular that started off very interesting and then really really lagged)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

This show is really good and super loving frustrating at the same time. Just gonna paste this from Vox as it describes my feelings better than I could myself:

Plenty of great scenes in this ep though. I especially liked the Logan stuff. And anyone still denying multiple timelines after this ep is a lunatic

This though:

quote:

It feels, for all the world, like the storytelling equivalent of computer programming — you see the code where the emotional attachment goes, but not the emotional attachment itself.

I am pretty sure this is one of the big themes of the show in a way? Like, it's not hard for me to sympathize with Teddy wanting to find Dolores even though that's an artificially encoded motive because Maeve's story has me questioning the degree to which that matters. She knows that her memories of her daughter are fake, but they still drive her. Whether they really happen or not is irrelevant to whether they are based on "real experience." They were programmed to feel a certain way, and so they do. And because they do, their struggles have the same potential for emotional investment.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah, same photo.

I'm 99% sure that William is the Man in Black, then, but I just can't understand it. He goes to Westworld for the first time, has this transformative experience where the park is already revealing deeper levels to him, and falls in love with Dolores, and then... goes home, gets married, and spends 30 years doing the trite storylines? Really?

Here's the full backstory monologue for anyone else who wants to pick it apart:

quote:

MAN IN BLACK (MIB): You want to know who I am? Who I really am? I'm a god. Titan of industry. Philanthropist. Family man. Married to a beautiful woman. Father to a beautiful daughter. I'm the good guy, Teddy. Then, last year my wife took the wrong pills, fell asleep in the bath. Tragic accident. 30 years of marriage, vanished. How do you say it, like a deep and distant dream. Then at the funeral, I tried to console my daughter. She pushed me away. Told me that my wife's death was no accident, that she killed herself because of me. And she said that every day with me had been sheer terror. Any point I could blow up or collapse, like some dark star.

TEDDY: Did you hurt them, too?

MIB: Never. They never saw anything like the man I am in here. But she knew anyway. She said if I stacked up all my good deeds it was just an elegant wall I built to hide what was inside from everyone. And from myself. I had to prove her wrong, so I came back here, because that's what this place does, right? It reveals your true self. At that time, I didn't join one of Ford's stories, I created my own, a test. A very simple one: I found a woman, an ordinary homesteader and her daughter. I wanted to see if I had it in me to do something truly evil. To see what I was truly made of. I killed her and her daughter, just to see what I felt. Then, just when I thought it was done, the woman refused to die.

TEDDY: You're a f---ing animal.

MIB: Well, an animal would've felt something. I felt nothing. And then something miraculous happened. In all my years coming here, I'd never seen anything like it. She was alive, truly alive, if only for a moment. And that was when the maze revealed itself to me.

TEDDY: The maze. What's that drat pattern have to do with this?

MIB: Everything. In Ford's game, even if I go to the outer edges you can't kill me. You can't even leave a lasting mark. But there's a deeper game here, Teddy: Arnold's game, and that game cuts deep.
"In all my years coming here, I'd never seen anything like it. She was alive, truly alive, if only for a moment. And that was when the maze revealed itself to me." -- I can't make that jibe with him being William. William has seen something like that and gotten hints of the maze.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 28, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

People wondering why Logan would be carrying a picture of his sister:

Maybe he wasn't and William was? Remember that William is tied up when Logan shows him the picture. He might've grabbed it out of William's pocket when he was tying him up and taking everything else he had.

Of course, you're technically supposed to be stripped of anything that would disrupt the park before going in, so whoever brought that picture in was smuggling it.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
gently caress it, I'm not 100% on 2 timelines yet. I'll go 85%. Same picture? Why not two pictures? Why not a box of identical pictures in Ford's office desk drawer? How'd he get it past security in the first place?

I've always thought that Jimmy and Logan are too perfect expressions of superego and id to be actual human beings. I could see this as being a total head fake.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

Ford has never really bested Arnold, or learned much from him, other than making a duplicate Arnold to help him out.
Even that I'm suspicious of. We only have Ford's word that he designed the duplicate, or that the memories he was unlocking were even memories at all. The Bernard plans in that basement lab were right there with Dolores's despite seemingly being made decades apart. It would be simple for Ford to upload a false memory like he does with Teddy or the other hosts, and he clearly wasn't unlocking everything since Bernard had to infer that this confrontation had happened before.

Ford seems just like Lee Sizemore, all narrative and theatrics, and not the kind that would spearhead the invention of a new generation of bio-hosts.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

GunnerJ posted:

> It feels, for all the world, like the storytelling equivalent of computer programming — you see the code where the emotional attachment goes, but not the emotional attachment itself.

I am pretty sure this is one of the big themes of the show in a way?

Yeah I think that it's a theme of the show, and I think the show tries to exploit it as a meta-narrative, but I don't think it is succeeding. That is to say, at least for me, I can't completely distance myself from the characters and still enjoy a shaggy dog story that's really just a commentary on storytelling without getting at least a little annoyed at the pointlessness of the exercise.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, same photo.

I'm 99% sure that William is the Man in Black, then, but I just can't understand it. He goes to Westworld for the first time, has this transformative experience where the park is already revealing deeper levels to him, and falls in love with Dolores, and then... goes home, gets married, and spends 30 years doing the trite storylines? Really?

Here's the full backstory monologue for anyone else who wants to pick it apart:
"In all my years coming here, I'd never seen anything like it. She was alive, truly alive, if only for a moment. And that was when the maze revealed itself to me." -- I can't make that jibe with him being William. William has seen something like that and gotten hints of the maze.

I think whatever goes down in the finale is going to disillusion William to the idea that the hosts were ever truly alive or that any of his self-discovery was "real". It could be as simple as Dolores dying and him visiting her later, only for her to have no memory of him or their experiences together.

I think the MiB's recounting of what he did to Maeve will end up being a further subtle clue if/when the MiB=William reveal happens. He realized that the only way to activate host sentience is via a traumatic event. So of course he would visit Dolores (the one host he really gives a poo poo about) and do horrible things to her to try and activate that in her.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Half the fun of this show is coming in here after an episode and seeing goons completely miss a specific scene or misread a clue and then rant about how bad the show is.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

qbert posted:

I think whatever goes down in the finale is going to disillusion William to the idea that the hosts were ever truly alive or that any of his self-discovery was "real". It could be as simple as Dolores dying and him visiting her later, only for her to have no memory of him or their experiences together.

William is already disillusioned, that was the point of his final scene last night. He was sure Dolores was different, but when she was opened up she was just mechanical parts. He then butchered a hundred soldiers because who cares, they're all just robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

qbert posted:

Yeah, there are definitely at least two.

• Locked thread