Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

On Terra Firma posted:

So do any news outlets answer for why they do poo poo like this? Has anyone gotten them in a room and gone "What in the gently caress are you doing"?

Trump did, but not in the way you or I would like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

On Terra Firma posted:

So do any news outlets answer for why they do poo poo like this? Has anyone gotten them in a room and gone "What in the gently caress are you doing"?

Well Donald got them in a room last week for a talking to...

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Sure it will one of the lessons to be learned from the Trump win is that if you say something enough and loud enough people will believe it. That's not going to change until you get control of government and fix education.

Ah, yes, the lesson from the Trump win is that if you demonize your opponent for their far right positions and intransigence Republicans will totally cross the line and vote for Democrats.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

On Terra Firma posted:

Who would hold them accountable? The vast majority of Americans don't know anything about good journalism. And why would they? It takes time and education.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Azuth0667 posted:

Sure it will one of the lessons to be learned from the Trump win is that if you say something enough and loud enough people will believe it. That's not going to change until you get control of government and fix education.

Not even education as we currently address it. We need some info-lit critical thinking NCLB for older people, since we've got a tremendous information illiteracy problem. Mass media's going to do an awful and heel-dragging job of improving itself, if it even does get better.

Not much value to a democracy when you can read Tom Clancy novels and Facebook posts, but fail to sort fact from fiction and signal from noise when it comes to news.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

So what happens to that electoral vote now? I assume there's some procedure to appoint a backup elector so this was a purely symbolic/conscience move.

According to the Star-Telegram article on Texas electors that includes the challenges Sisneros was facing, resigning electors will be replaced when the state Republican party meets on December 1st-2nd. It's a pure conscience move.

Edit: Turns out the Ohio State "active shooter" just ran over and knifed people.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 28, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Ah, he can't faithless elect because he signed a pledge. So, he said "yolo, not living with this on my head: didn't think he'd win so I was willing to sign. Now, lol. gently caress off, bitches. This country is ruined."

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

On Terra Firma posted:

Well they know what they are doing. Some within that group disagree with it on the same grounds we do but when you uncover a story of a presidential candidate violating the cuban embargo it hardly circulates in comparison to a headline like that. And on top of it you also spent way more time and effort to get that story compared to doing book report journalism about things Trump said. You either embrace the symbiotic relationship, get out of the industry, or be part of a smaller and smaller group that try to scratch a living practicing actual journalism.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

joepinetree posted:

Ah, yes, the lesson from the Trump win is that if you demonize your opponent for their far right positions and intransigence Republicans will totally cross the line and vote for Democrats.

Some will, you'll also give your base something to rally against and someone to put the blame of their troubles on. This stupid head in the sand poo poo that keeps floating around or "we go high when they go low" has been demonstrated to not work. Take a look at the election results as proof. It's time for the dems to switch it up if they want to win and fix it so it doesn't have to be like that.

sweart gliwere posted:

Not even education as we currently address it. We need some info-lit critical thinking NCLB for older people, since we've got a tremendous information illiteracy problem. Mass media's going to do an awful and heel-dragging job of improving itself, if it even does get better.

Not much value to a democracy when you can read Tom Clancy novels and Facebook posts, but fail to sort fact from fiction and signal from noise when it comes to news.

I agree but, I think its akin to learning any skill. People need a broad foundation early in life to build upon hence start with education reform and free adult info-literacy classes. That way the new generation comes into adulthood with the skills and the older generation can be coaxed out of the crap. There isn't much that can be done about it though if dems never get back in power because they refuse to even try to beat the false-news garbage spewing out of every media outlet.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Covok posted:

Ah, he can't faithless elect because he signed a pledge. So, he said "yolo, not living with this on my head: didn't think he'd win so I was willing to sign. Now, lol. gently caress off, bitches. This country is ruined."

Dude didn't even bother waiting until the weekend. If he did, there's a good chance his seat would have been vacant on Dec. 19th.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bhaal posted:

Well they know what they are doing. Some within that group disagree with it on the same grounds we do but when you uncover a story of a presidential candidate violating the cuban embargo it hardly circulates in comparison to a headline like that. And on top of it you also spent way more time and effort to get that story compared to doing book report journalism about things Trump said. You either embrace the symbiotic relationship, get out of the industry, or be part of a smaller and smaller group that try to scratch a living practicing actual journalism.

So, money and attention > journalistic integrity for them. Hooray.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
See, I swore a suicide pact, so I gotta pull this trigger

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Young Freud posted:

Dude didn't even bother waiting until the weekend. If he did, there's a good chance his seat would have been vacant on Dec. 19th.

Ah, so he just wants to make the appearance of backing out in-case Trump turns out to be good?

Typical, gutless republican filth.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

DoctorWhat posted:

Jesus loving christ, you're dense. The GOP deliberately hamstrung the government in order to undermine Obama's presidency.

Please stop responding to blatantly obvious trolling. Put him on ignore and move on.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
"This pledge I signed is far more important to honor than the integrity of our nation."

- a patriot

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Who would hold them accountable? The vast majority of Americans don't know anything about good journalism. And why would they? It takes time and education.

Education won't change things

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
Chris Hedges predicts the state will dismantle even the pretense of democratic republican government by exploiting a crisis analogous to the Reichstag burning.

Covok
May 27, 2013

This faithless elector thing is another bit of B.S. just like the recount. We aren't going to get enough faithless electors to sway the vote. Why? Because it just doesn't happen. This year will end with a Trump Presidency. There is nothing changing this.

I know everyone has already accepted it, but I need to say it to myself every so often so I don't start to think I'm in a fever dream or died and went to hell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

Chris Hedges predicts the state will dismantle even the pretense of democratic republican government by exploiting a crisis analogous to the Reichstag burning.

God I hope not.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Never hope. Hope is a lie.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Covok posted:

Ah, so he just wants to make the appearance of backing out in-case Trump turns out to be good?

Typical, gutless republican filth.

No. He wants a Republican led government but wants a clear conscience for everything they do. It's stupid because anyone who has spent the past few decades supporting the GOP is responsible for the intentionally broken government and post-fact vitriol that resulted in a Trump presidency.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Some will, you'll also give your base something to rally against and someone to put the blame of their troubles on. This stupid head in the sand poo poo that keeps floating around or "we go high when they go low" has been demonstrated to not work. Take a look at the election results as proof. It's time for the dems to switch it up if they want to win and fix it so it doesn't have to be like that.

Hey, I know Sheldon Anderson is threatening to spend 2 million dollars to defeat you in your R+10 district if you don't go full tea party, but we will say some really nasty things about you if you don't compromise.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

size1one posted:

No. He wants a Republican led government but wants a clear conscience for everything they do. It's stupid because anyone who has spent the past few decades supporting the GOP is responsible for the intentionally broken government and post-fact vitriol that resulted in a Trump presidency.

Covok
May 27, 2013

size1one posted:

The GOP are filth.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Buckle up:

https://twitter.com/Darcycartoon/status/803294352265150464

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Covok posted:

This faithless elector thing is another bit of B.S. just like the recount. We aren't going to get enough faithless electors to sway the vote. Why? Because it just doesn't happen. This year will end with a Trump Presidency. There is nothing changing this.
I dont know how anyone can have any confidence in anything after this past month

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

:sigh:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Huh, in direct response to Obama sending drones there this morning? Al Shabab?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

People said the same thing during the Bush administration. Different people said the same thin during the Obama administration

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Boon posted:

Yes this is an opinion of a man who clearly deserves to be taken seriously.
My opinion that the Iraq War is illegal and horrible is ridiculous?

Funny, I thought the opinion of the poster who thought the illegal, endless, and expanding drone wars in nearly 20 countries "is actually a good thing" was truly vile. My bad.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Three weeks out, what has the Democratic Party learned?

https://twitter.com/deep_beige/status/803301224560750592

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

Go listen to Bob Garfield's interview with Jake Tapper. That's the closest you're going to get: http://www.wnyc.org/story/how-interview-donald-trump/

quote:

BOB GARFIELD: Is there not an argument - I'm certainly making it - for a change in the rules of engagement? I feel, and I've said this before, like watching the UN peacekeepers try to deal with the Bosnian Serbs. All they can do is watch as bad things happen. And when you're facing a demagogue, shouldn't you be able to fire back?

JAKE TAPPER: I don't know what alternative you're proposing. It sounds to me like you're asking for somebody to interview Hillary Clinton or interview Donald Trump and berate them, have some moment where it's about the interviewer.

BOB GARFIELD: How about, you’re running to be president of the United States, you’ve said outrageous things and you're going to be held accountable for them. You mention the David Duke moment when you asked him if he would disavow the support of various white supremacists.

BOB GARFIELD: You said, well, it’s the Ku Klux Klan, which [LAUGHING] I think was the right thing to say. And, again me, armchair quarterback interviewer, going, Trump, you just told me that you've never heard of former presidential candidate David Duke and the Ku Klux Klan. I don't believe that.

JAKE TAPPER: If you think that that was an ineffective interview, then all I can tell you is I disagree with you. I think it had an impact on the political dialogue because people at home filled in that sentence that you wish I had said. People at home did that for themselves. People at home figured out what they thought about the interview.

BOB GARFIELD: Fair enough, and I certainly understand that concept of the viewer filling in the blanks. The, the fundamental question, it’s the one I began with, really, is that is this a moment in history where you sort of let a politician hang himself, or not, with his own words - is simply not enough?

JAKE TAPPER: I think there are a lot of tough questions that need to be asked of Clinton and Trump, and I think the question for this media cycle is not whether or not people are being too respectful in asking them. I think they’re not asking them. That, to me, is more troubling.

Look, Donald Trump went on “Fox & Friends” and said, Rafael Cruz, Ted Cruz’s father, according to what he read in the National Enquirer, may have been involved with Lee Harvey Oswald and the Kennedy assassination. Now, the response on “Fox & Friends” was, oh yeah, wow, what an outage or something like that. And the way it was covered over the next few hours was, you know, Trump levels charge, Cruz denies charge. That, to me, was outrageous because that's not journalism; that’s stenography. And what I thought was important was that night to go on TV and say, this is false and it's shameful and it's wrong. That, to me, is important too.

BOB GARFIELD: This guy, by every definition, is a demagogue. He has been caught in a thousand lies. He has said all sorts of things that are fundamentally un-American. And is this a moment when it's proper to put the sweet hammer back in the toolbox and say, Mr. Trump, what is the matter with you?

JAKE TAPPER: You, you know, Bob, you, you can do that and you can say all the things you just said about Mr. Trump, things that I have not said on my show and, at the end of the election cycle, we can decide which one of us has had more of an impact on the election.

BOB GARFIELD: Yeah, and what if he wins?

JAKE TAPPER: Then the majority of the American people have voted for him. My job is not to defeat a candidate. My job is to make sure voters have facts and have as much information as I can give them. At the end of the day, if the voters of this country pick Donald Trump to be their president, that's their decision. I’m not rooting for him or against him.

BOB GARFIELD: Mm, I’m rooting against him in a very big way. And I said that to my audience a few weeks ago. The voters will do what the voters will do, but it can't be because we in the press didn't do enough. Do you think that’s just histrionics?

JAKE TAPPER: I think that the press could be doing more to challenge Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, to fact check, to make it clear when outrageous things are said or lies are told and to ask follow-up questions. I could be doing a better job and the media could be doing a better job. But I don't think I'm not doing my job. I think I’ve done a pretty good work of it already.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Coheed and Camembert posted:

On the one hand, it's disappointing that the Democratic party hasn't made any sort of deal out of the LA Senate race...

on the other hand, that race is unwinnable barring an act of God, and the Democratic party is literally rudderless and basically just getting things ready for the next DNC chair at this point, so...

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Uh weren't you guys screaming about how Clinton was throwing money at unwinnable races in AZ/TX/etc and now you want them to throw money at an unwinnable race?

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

greatn posted:

Huh, in direct response to Obama sending drones there this morning? Al Shabab?

No, couldn't possibly be. Look I have it on good authority that drone strikes Are A Good Thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Trabisnikof posted:

Go listen to Bob Garfield's interview with Jake Tapper. That's the closest you're going to get: http://www.wnyc.org/story/how-interview-donald-trump/

That's a lot of words for "I'm a spineless idiot".

Next time, ask to pet Trump's hair.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

"Why is Jake Tapper such a dick?" - John Podesta, in emails revealed through Russian Intelligence, previously Jake Tapper's pinned tweet.

It was bad optics and not a good look.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

People said the same thing during the Bush administration. Different people said the same thin during the Obama administration

Yes, in accordance with Godwin's Law some people do accuse whoever they don't like of being Nazis. But surely you're arguing in bad faith if you're suggesting that the risk of fascism is no higher now than it was under Bush or Obama.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bush did essentially use 9/11 as a springboard for invading Iraq. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So who is trying to kill Keith Ellison's DNC candidacy?

• Locked thread