Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Note Block posted:

Blizzard as well, which is great if you have Hail or Snow Warning
There's a TM for that this gen, right? Just not Hydro Pump of the big-but-inaccurate hits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Calaveron posted:

And why is rotomdex afraid of them? He's a ghost!

He's not a ghost. All rotoms lose their ghost typing once they possess an appliance.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I didn't know heart scales do anything and have been selling them. Can I get more later?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DizzyBum posted:

I did not do major research on naming my Pokemon. I named my Rowlet "Robin Hoot" and my Slowpoke "Derp".

:same:
My Decidueye is "Borb" and I regret not naming my Persian "Killer Queen" after I read somebody's post about doing a "Yoshikage Kira goes to Alola" gimmick run.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

greatn posted:

I didn't know heart scales do anything and have been selling them. Can I get more later?

You effectively buy them, this gen.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DizzyBum posted:

:agreed: When was the last time we had such a good Grass starter?

Despite it being the worst starter type, I actually find myself picking the grass starter more often than not, starting gen III and onwards. Treecko, Turtwig, Chespin, and Rowlet were all easy picks for me.

Gen V was a bit of an odd duck though, having no good starters of any type.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

greatn posted:

Spoilers, maybe:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-sun-pokemon-moon/How_to_Easily_Find_Heart_Scales

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

A funky setup? Something like playing a Japanese cart on a Japanese DS with game language set to English or something?

Literally that, yeah. There's a lot of misinformation on the web (ie the effect or rather non-effect of Everstones on the shiny process) but I believe the gist is that since Gen VI has language as an option in all regions (I think???), it's easier now to view the method as solely based on the language tag of the Pokemon. A lot of Faqs online still have region or country listed as the main flag for success in the Masuda method which winds up muddying the waters when you're trying to find guides on how poo poo actually works. It didn't help that I was using JPN Dittos from my JPN White save which made me even more paranoid (JPN dittos that technically originally belonged to me on JPN software set to English ahhhhhhhh)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Deified Data posted:

Despite it being the worst starter type, I actually find myself picking the grass starter more often than not, starting gen III and onwards. Treecko, Turtwig, Chespin, and Rowlet were all easy picks for me.

Excuse me, Serperior is extremely cool. And good, also.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's a TM for that this gen, right? Just not Hydro Pump of the big-but-inaccurate hits?

Oh you're right!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Deified Data posted:

I haven't picked a fire starter yet, although I did use a Charizard that my buddy traded to me before resetting his save back in middle school. I think my track record is about 50/50, now, if you count choosing Chikorita in HeartGold. Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip (!!!), Piplup, Snivy, Chespin, Rowlet.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Excuse me, Serperior is extremely cool. And good, also.

Well a contrary one sure. I mean love that snake dearly but lets be honest overgrow does it no favors.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Perfect Potato posted:

Literally that, yeah. There's a lot of misinformation on the web (ie the effect or rather non-effect of Everstones on the shiny process) but I believe the gist is that since Gen VI has language as an option in all regions (I think???), it's easier now to view the method as solely based on the language tag of the Pokemon. A lot of Faqs online still have region or country listed as the main flag for success in the Masuda method which winds up muddying the waters when you're trying to find guides on how poo poo actually works. It didn't help that I was using JPN Dittos from my JPN White save which made me even more paranoid (JPN dittos that technically originally belonged to me on JPN software set to English ahhhhhhhh)
I believe it works entirely off the language tag now, yeah.

People think Everstones are relevant to the process? At all? :eyepop:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I recommend giving your Pokemon names of other Pokemon.

Like my Gengar Machamp, my Rattata Nidoran, or my Gyarados Charizard.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I catch Drampas, name them Turtonator, and Wonder Trade them.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

You can reset stats with certain berries in the game. There's also another way using the festival plaza but using that garbage feature isn't worth the effort.

Yeah I really want to see if I can avoid using the Festival Plaza because it just seems so poorly designed compared to Pelago.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

greatn posted:

I recommend giving your Pokemon names of other Pokemon.

Like my Gengar Machamp, my Rattata Nidoran, or my Gyarados Charizard.

what is the point of this tho

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
smh if you didn't nickname your Psyduck "Starmie"

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

vOv posted:

Yeah I really want to see if I can avoid using the Festival Plaza because it just seems so poorly designed compared to Pelago.

Festival Plaza is the only way to get certain clothing colors. Everything else you can pretty much do without it.

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008
Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Im currently going through the game and would like to use an A-vulpix, and a mimikyu, but I don't want to wait for them. Can anyone send me eggs so I can nickname them? Nature and ability doesn't matter but if you can get HAs or the better abilities all the better! Also if you can pass any mareanie along I just don't want to have to worry about finding it, ha. I don't really have anything special to send back since I'm only on the grass trial so I understand if there are no takers, but just thought I'd ask.

Speaking of I've put 20 hours in at this point. I feel like there is a ridiculous amount to do in this game. I love it.

FC: 3840-9183-0587 name is Ocho

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dr. Stab posted:

Festival Plaza is the only way to get certain clothing colors. Everything else you can pretty much do without it.

How do you do this? Where can I get a good low down on the Festival Plaza in general? All I'm getting so far is a shitter Join Avenue with forced minigames that is inexplicably mandatory for online stuff.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

For everyone who's been seeing a lot of Abras on GTS lately - I'm sorry, it took me 90 of them to make a set of adamant/modest/timid/jolly synchronizers.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Holy poo poo this crab has boxing gloves automatically making it the best Pokémon ever.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

LEGO Genetics posted:

Holy poo poo this crab has boxing gloves automatically making it the best Pokémon ever.

:hf:
Yeah, he went straight into my party as soon as I got a good look at him and realized what he was. He's not bad, either, at least where I'm at in the main story. He gets some of my favorite Fighting moves, and he can learn Scald off a TM.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

boy are my arms tired posted:

what is the point of this tho

To mess with your opponents. They'll think you're crazy and might slip up and make a mistake.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Deified Data posted:

I always pick Grass for my starter, and I always buy the version that's closer to Red. That's my little Pokemon tradition.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, the Pokedex pages for Legendaries have an effect on them like holographic trading cards. I guess it uses the gyro or something? It's neat.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

How do you do this? Where can I get a good low down on the Festival Plaza in general? All I'm getting so far is a shitter Join Avenue with forced minigames that is inexplicably mandatory for online stuff.

This I guess?

http://serebii.net/sunmoon/festivalplaza.shtml

e: also holy gently caress Disguise is just filthy

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I'm pretty sure Golisopod and Araquanid are my favorite new pokemon this gen. Final team ended up being Decidueye, Salazzle, Golisopod, Alolan Golem and Sandslash, and Kommo-o.

A+ game, now when do we get to go to Kanto

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LEGO Genetics posted:

He also has a black eye :3:

Thank you, Senerio my pal, for awesome trades.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
For my fellow Beast Ball masochists, I got myself a Beast Ball Minior if anyone's interested. It's a 255 catch rate so not exactly impressive, but it could save you some time and a few balls. I'll breed Naive ones for myself, but can do Adamant or others if people want.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

tyblazitar posted:

For my fellow Beast Ball masochists, I got myself a Beast Ball Minior if anyone's interested. It's a 255 catch rate so not exactly impressive, but it could save you some time and a few balls. I'll breed Naive ones for myself, but can do Adamant or others if people want.

Tyb, should we just start a Google doc for the evolutionary lines?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

greatn posted:

To mess with your opponents. They'll think you're crazy and might slip up and make a mistake.

online opponents cannot see nicknames

i guess you could do it at a tournament but match preview tells you what they have so, uh

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I've got a Gyrados who's doing pretty well, but he's a little boring. I already have other options in the party for loving up most of the things that water and flying are good against. I might use that slot for the Mimikyu that I want to get.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DizzyBum posted:

I did not do major research on naming my Pokemon. I named my Rowlet "Robin Hoot" and my Slowpoke "Derp".

My Slowbro is named "uuRRGhn" and she is beautiful

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Tyb, should we just start a Google doc for the evolutionary lines?

Sounds like a good plan! Personally I'm not really aiming to catch 'em all, just particular ones I might actually use, but I'll contribute what I can.

EDIT:

Toastymcfly posted:

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Im currently going through the game and would like to use an A-vulpix, and a mimikyu, but I don't want to wait for them. Can anyone send me eggs so I can nickname them? Nature and ability doesn't matter but if you can get HAs or the better abilities all the better! Also if you can pass any mareanie along I just don't want to have to worry about finding it, ha. I don't really have anything special to send back since I'm only on the grass trial so I understand if there are no takers, but just thought I'd ask.

Speaking of I've put 20 hours in at this point. I feel like there is a ridiculous amount to do in this game. I love it.

I'll get you one of each!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

wizard on a water slide posted:

My Slowbro is named "uuRRGhn" and she is beautiful

Mine is Dash and he is a very handsome and strong boy

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

How on Earth did a Tapu Lele outspeed my max speed EV Salazzle?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tyblazitar posted:

Sounds like a good plan! Personally I'm not really aiming to catch 'em all, just particular ones I might actually use, but I'll contribute what I can.
Start up the doc, I definitely want more than just the few I've got!

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Toastymcfly posted:

I got your eggs, let me know when you're online.

FC 3325-3410-1572, IGN tyb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008

tyblazitar posted:

EDIT:

I'll get you one of each!

drat man, thank you! Just added you and on now. I only have about an hour but I'll be on later if it doesn't work for you. Also anything in particular you want out of the first two island mons? I feel bad I can't offer anything in return.

E: oh also ign name is toasty, didn't know if it went by FC name of ign name on festival plaza