Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kent Sopproth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

Anyone here from Denmark I may be going there for a Master's degree.

Ask away man, but

lilljonas posted:

I hope you like schnapps for breakfast.

E: oh it's the scandipol thread.

I hope you like schnapps and racism for breakfast.

Is very much the order of the day, especially the racism part.

In related Denmark news, there is a new government in Denmark, and it's filled to the brim with complete and utter assholes. Mostly people who haven't got the slightest clue about the areas they're going to be presiding over and no interest in knowing anything about it. Ole Birk Olesen as minister of transportation and buildings would be hilariously funny, if it wasn't so utterly tragic. Also, unprecedented tax cuts for the ultra wealthy and corporations, while cutting down on every welfare system in place, FYGM actualized on a policy level in horrid detail. One of the strongest, and most successful, welfare systems on the planet was already on its knees and the forces of evil have just now put their gun to the back of its head. I guess it will be sweet relief, since once it's destroyed, we will no longer have to fight to save it, and all the king's horses and all the king's men wont be able to put it back together again.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Är Ligur Kent Ekeroth in disguise?

PM honom och fråga.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

BigglesSWE posted:

Är Ligur Kent Ekeroth in disguise?

"Disguise"

Hevo
Jul 8, 2015

Håller på att goon-confirma Kent. Återkommer.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Cosmic Creepers posted:

Håller på att goon-confirma Kent. Återkommer.

Han kommer absolut att hävda vänsterterrorism.

Hej, SÄPO! Vi är bara ett dött internetforum som gillar att skämta om nazister. Men till skillnad från dem delar vi inte ut örfilar för att vi får höra dumma ord!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Ask away man, but

Is very much the order of the day, especially the racism part.

In related Denmark news, there is a new government in Denmark, and it's filled to the brim with complete and utter assholes. Mostly people who haven't got the slightest clue about the areas they're going to be presiding over and no interest in knowing anything about it. Ole Birk Olesen as minister of transportation and buildings would be hilariously funny, if it wasn't so utterly tragic. Also, unprecedented tax cuts for the ultra wealthy and corporations, while cutting down on every welfare system in place, FYGM actualized on a policy level in horrid detail. One of the strongest, and most successful, welfare systems on the planet was already on its knees and the forces of evil have just now put their gun to the back of its head. I guess it will be sweet relief, since once it's destroyed, we will no longer have to fight to save it, and all the king's horses and all the king's men wont be able to put it back together again.

Yeah I've been researching that because I have to get monthly prescriptions and one of the few countries I found was Denmark where I could get into the whole "prescription thing" from the government.

I'm thinking of attending Aarhus University or University of Copenhagen. Do you know anything about those two schools?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I've been researching that because I have to get monthly prescriptions and one of the few countries I found was Denmark where I could get into the whole "prescription thing" from the government.

I'm thinking of attending Aarhus University or University of Copenhagen. Do you know anything about those two schools?

Both are really good universities, but there is no real qualitative difference between any of the 'real' universities in Denmark. That is, Aarhus, Aalborg, Copenhagen, DTU, Roskilde or Southern Denmark are all high quality universities, that, if you're interested in learning something, will do you good. Some will disagree about one or two of those, but only people with no actual knowledge about them. I assume you're not studying business stuff, since you didn't mention Copenhagen Business School (which isn't part of the university of Copenhagen).

Anyway, both Aarhus and Copenhagen are very much 'traditional' universities, like you'd find in most of Europe. Aarhus might be a little more internationally oriented, but there isn't really a big difference. I've been (for a short while) at both universities and I like them both, I would not expect someone 'outside' to really be able to tell a difference. This can be very different depending on program obviously, but I don't really know what the current situation is for specific programs. Currently the entire university sector in Denmark is being dismantled by an extreme right-wing 'free' market deregulation policy implementation, which means that a lot of them are struggling mightily with trying to teach more students for less money, and this has caused an enormous pressure which faculty and staff is currently buckling under (and this of course in the end hurts the students).

Both universities are in nice cities, Copenhagen by far the biggest and really the only cosmopolitan city in Denmark (but that's still pretty small by global standards) and Aarhus is much smaller. Aarhus is generally known as one of the nicest cities in Denmark though (City of Smiles), the art and music scene in particular, is really good in Aarhus.

vvv: It's a little cheaper in Aarhus, but not a ton. feel free to write me at awfulrevelation on gmail, it's a throwaway I basically never check, so don't expect a swift response.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 28, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Both are really good universities, but there is no real qualitative difference between any of the 'real' universities in Denmark. That is, Aarhus, Aalborg, Copenhagen, DTU, Roskilde or Southern Denmark are all high quality universities, that, if you're interested in learning something, will do you good. Some will disagree about one or two of those, but only people with no actual knowledge about them. I assume you're not studying business stuff, since you didn't mention Copenhagen Business School (which isn't part of the university of Copenhagen).

Anyway, both Aarhus and Copenhagen are very much 'traditional' universities, like you'd find in most of Europe. Aarhus might be a little more internationally oriented, but there isn't really a big difference. I've been (for a short while) at both universities and I like them both, I would not expect someone 'outside' to really be able to tell a difference. This can be very different depending on program obviously, but I don't really know what the current situation is for specific programs. Currently the entire university sector in Denmark is being dismantled by an extreme right-wing 'free' market deregulation policy implementation, which means that a lot of them are struggling mightily with trying to teach more students for less money, and this has caused an enormous pressure which faculty and staff is currently buckling under (and this of course in the end hurts the students).

Both universities are in nice cities, Copenhagen by far the biggest and really the only cosmopolitan city in Denmark (but that's still pretty small by global standards) and Aarhus is much smaller. Aarhus is generally known as one of the nicest cities in Denmark though (City of Smiles), the art and music scene in particular, is really good in Aarhus.

Oh man I'd love to chat with you by email I'm trying to navigate Aarhus right now and it's a nightmare because of the time zone difference.

I am leaning toward Aarhus and Masters IT project management focus.

Aarhus area also seems uh smaller area maybe more affordable to live?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Though Copenhagen gives you very easy access to Sweden with Malmö and Lund.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well I'm from Chicago and Denmark is apparently about the same size as Cook County ( like 20 percent bigger) so I'm not to concerned with distance. I travel a good hour or more sometimes just to go somewhere.

I think just getting around would be my main concern.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 28, 2016

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

Though Copenhagen gives you very easy access to Sweden with Malmö and Lund.

You say like that is a good thing ?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiac posted:

You say like that is a good thing ?

The first thing you need to do when you move to Denmark is to plot your escape route.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alhazred posted:

The first thing you need to do when you move to Denmark is to plot your escape route.
Looking around helps in a new country, yes.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Well I'm from Chicago and Denmark is apparently about the same size as Cook County ( like 20 percent bigger) so I'm not to concerned with distance. I travel a good hour or more sometimes just to go somewhere.

I think just getting around would be my main concern.

Very good because cheap living in Aarhus proper is nonexistant, at least the media theres people whining every year.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I took the time to create a primer for Denmark, to give you a feel for the country and the largest towns.

It might be slightly biased, but I think it's generally fair.

Buller posted:

Very good because cheap living in Aarhus proper is nonexistant, at least the media theres people whining every year.
I think maybe you might get lucky as a foreign student, in terms of getting a place to stay, which can make rent much more affordable. The general policy in place is that people from outside of Aarhus gets first dibs on student housing, and that probably applies to foreign students too. Not saying it's a sure thing you're going to find a nice and cheap place to live, but there is a chance. Or at least there was a few years ago, the situation hasn't exactly improved. I mean, I have heard of people sleeping in their cars long-term, so you should definitely look into finding a place to stay well in advance if you decide to study there. Same goes for Copenhagen. Aalborg is probably more reasonable in this regard, at least it used to be a few years ago that you could keep living in student housing even after you finished your studies, because there wasn't a throng of people ready to move into anything larger than a cardboard box.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Useless (actual) nazis too dumb to tell a private household from a refugee housing center glue a threatening poster to someone's front door.
http://www.budstikka.no/hvalstad/hvalstad-asylmottak/politi/kom-hjem-og-fant-galge-pa-doren/s/5-55-403584

gently caress Nordfront / Frihetskamp / Nordiske Motstandsbevegelsen
gently caress Haakon Forwald
gently caress everyone who sympathizes with those pieces of human poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Government Handjob posted:

Useless (actual) nazis too dumb to tell a private household from a refugee housing center glue a threatening poster to someone's front door.
http://www.budstikka.no/hvalstad/hvalstad-asylmottak/politi/kom-hjem-og-fant-galge-pa-doren/s/5-55-403584

gently caress Nordfront / Frihetskamp / Nordiske Motstandsbevegelsen
gently caress Haakon Forwald
gently caress everyone who sympathizes with those pieces of human poo poo

Can't argue with that. There is, however, one type of good nazi.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I take it you mean the same kind that Hitler is.
loving dead and gone

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Government Handjob posted:

I take it you mean the same kind that Hitler is.
loving dead and gone

:mmmhmm:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well optimally I'd hoped to find someone willing to do a 1 to 2 year lease paid in full in a neighboring area near the university with easy access to public transportation.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Well optimally I'd hoped to find someone willing to do a 1 to 2 year lease paid in full in a neighboring area near the university with easy access to public transportation.

Oh sorry, I thought optimally you wanted to live in the construction areas near the harbor area crawling on your knees to school up the hills.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It wouldn't really bother me. Also I don't mind living in bad areas or whatever.

An hour commute doesn't bother me is what I mean by neighboring. I just don't have a strong grasp of train service et..

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Before you decide to settle somewhere check rejseplanen.dk to see how the commute is.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
krysser fingrene for at den norske drittregjeringa faller fra hverandre pga. budsjettforhandlinger i løpet av de neste dagene

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hollismason posted:

An hour commute doesn't bother me

You're either young or very foolish.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

You're either young or very foolish.

No, I just live in a large city.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hollismason posted:

No, I just live in a large city.

So... moving into the suburbs would mean a cheaper home and a shorter commute? TIME IS SHORTS AND SO IS MONEY!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Just a hour commute by train or a 15 mile bike ride doesn't bother me that's all I just now am reading on train commutes etc. Im assuming that center of the city is probably more expensive than the outliers.

I'm right now just investigating housing transportation etc..

Just don't know much about surrounding areas.

Also you are being kind of an rear end in a top hat

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Sweden I am sorry your official christmas goat got engulfed in flames

are there any constitutional consequences of this we should know about, does the king have to resign or something

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Angepain posted:

are there any constitutional consequences of this we should know about, does the king have to resign or something

This happens every year.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Angepain posted:

The goat is supposed to burn. It's our sacrifice to the gods so they keep us safe from the frost giants during Yule

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
IKEA keeps building them here and then getting mad we burn it down

You'd think that after it happening several times in a row they'd get it but no, every year, that goat is back and every year, it burns down

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

eightpole posted:

This happens every year.

Not really......
https://twitter.com/AndersSundell/status/803134566697312256

Hollismason posted:

Just a hour commute by train or a 15 mile bike ride doesn't bother me that's all I just now am reading on train commutes etc. Im assuming that center of the city is probably more expensive than the outliers.
I'm right now just investigating housing transportation etc..
Just don't know much about surrounding areas.
Also you are being kind of an rear end in a top hat

Since you are from US, a country that doesn't understand the concept of city centres and transportation without cars, European cities are denser where walking and bus transportations is much more common.
Also, living on the countryside of Jylland sounds like an interesting prospect. I just know what my Danish colleagues used to say about Jylland.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Aalborg is rather nice and has a sizeable foreign population since the university seems popular with foreign students.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fader Movitz posted:

The goat is supposed to burn. It's our sacrifice to the gods so they keep us safe from the frost giants during Yule

Syndabock.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
My impression of the Jävlabock is that it is a stroke of marketing genius. Once a year, Swedish media reports on it extensively and even international media mentions this small Swedish town. The amount of free recognition they get for each SEK they invest in a pile of hay is incredible. Their PR department should be bribing kids to burn it every year, and that would have more impact on the town's recognition than anything else they do.

I mean, what do I know about Gävle? That they have a loving bock, that's what I know.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
They also make really gross coffee.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

lilljonas posted:

My impression of the Jävlabock is that it is a stroke of marketing genius. Once a year, Swedish media reports on it extensively and even international media mentions this small Swedish town. The amount of free recognition they get for each SEK they invest in a pile of hay is incredible. Their PR department should be bribing kids to burn it every year, and that would have more impact on the town's recognition than anything else they do.

I mean, what do I know about Gävle? That they have a loving bock, that's what I know.

Someone in Ring P1 this morning complained about this was a disgrace and waste of tax-payer money. "Why can't they construct it out of of something that doesn't burn?" :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

A week or so ago there was a discussion here about why people voted for SD. I feel like these three links exemplify exactly why people turn to SD.

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=97&artikel=6571406
"Politiker vill stoppa kränkande satirbilder
Var tredje politiker i Skaraborg tycker att det ska vara förbjudet att publicera bilder som kan vara kränkande för religionsutövare."

Translation: 1/3rd of politicians in Skaraborg think it should be forbidden to publish images that might be inflammatory to religious people.

http://www.dagensjuridik.se/2016/11/regeringen-har-raknat-fel-pa-50-miljarder-valfarden-riksrevisionen-varnar-effekterna
"Regeringen har räknat fel på kostnaderna för vård, skola och omsorg de närmsta fyra åren. Det saknas 50 miljarder kronor konstaterar Riks-revisionen i sin granskning av statsbudgeten. Man varnar för stora framtida försämringar och allvarliga problem i det svenska samhället."

Budget has a shortfall of 50 billion, which will hit hard on welfare, healthcare, schools etc

http://www.di.se/nyheter/klart-stockholm-bokar-hotell-for-nyanlanda/
"Kommunfullmäktige i Stockholms stad beslutade på måndagen att upphandla hotell och vandrarhem för nyanlända. Kostnaden blir mellan 20 och 40 miljoner kronor."

Stockholm county decided to rent hotel and hostels (is that the right word) for newly arrived asylumseekers, costs 20-40 million kroner.

These three articles cover the SD trifecta. Arguing for limiting our freedom of speech to placate zealots, worsened welfare and we've taken in so many new people we have to book hotels for them because we have nowhere else to put them. SD more or less "predicted" this, in that they where using this scenario as a dog whistle to get people to vote for them 8 years ago, only now this isn't a dog whistle anymore, it's reality. At the time they were accused of scaremongering, and now that we are in this scenario they've gained legitimacy and the other parties have lost theirs. The current government for allowing the situation to deteriorate this bad in the first place, and the previous for laying the groundwork for it.

This is a dangerous position we're finding ourselves in. The worse this gets, the more SD gets legitimacy, the more power the racist loons in the party get. The party top (Kent Ekeroth not withstanding) might be fairly clean, but the rank and file grunts are quite often dregs, that have no problem saying real ugly poo poo online on social media. Horrible, xenophobic and homophobic comments are not exactly uncommon, and a vote for SD legitimizes these opinions, even if the voter does not agree with them.
This is worsened by the incompetence of the rest of the parties. In the fear of being considered racist, they've opposed everything SD has said and taken a position diametrically opposed to SD, even if they themselves agree with it. They've voted against proposals they themselves agree with just because SD supported it. They've been outright antagonistic towards SD, at times seemingly bullying them, which only played in SD's favor.

And as a consequence, having painted themselves as suepr anti-racist, instead of being more conservative with the amount of refugees we take in and possibly being attacked as xenophobic or racist, they opened the doors wide open, announced to the world they would all be welcome with open arms (only to pull the rug out underneath them when they actually arrived because lol we're full now tough poo poo) and pushed the idea that this would be good for us because we've got an aging population and we need more people working in the retirement homes and every person coming here is a net benefit and all kinds of feel good semi-myths with little corroborating evidence . The media uncritically reported this as well, and pushed articles that argued for the benefits of immigration. Now that the popular opinion has turned against the refugees, media are publishing articles more critical of of immigration, more columns and more debate articles are being put up where they all more and more support a more restrictive immigration policy.

We've ended up in a position where the ruling political parties have squandered the faith of the people, as have the media, and what's worse, have no effective or easy solutions to fix the problems caused by the massive influx of people. From housing, to welfare, to jobs, to cultural clashes. And the rightwing party can potentially reap the benefits. And as a gay man I am legit scared for myself and for the direction of this country because the SD as the biggest political party opens the door to a lot of stupid suggestions, like limitations to abortions, worsened conditions for LGBT, discriminatory laws against minorities you name it, and I have no loving clue what I can do about it. I can easily see why your ordinary swedish person (and I'm including 2nd generation immigrants in this btw) would find SD appealing. And that makes me angry. SD should not be a reasonable alternative for reasonable people, but because of bad leadership we're in a position where it's easy to rationalize a vote for what is fundamentally a racist party.

Sorry about the rant, but I legit think the US election broke something in me, and when I read those articles I just had to rant, because I know next election SD will be even loving bigger than last time. 2016 loving sucks.

Also if they really cared about that stupid goat they'd put it in a steel cage or something.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 29, 2016