Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Biaga posted:

Honestly, It might not be the case, but like others have described, there is a standard in a lot of matches where there are 1 or 2 incredibly good players that obviously dominate the entire board while everyone else just lags behind. I was in a match the other day and a guy scored 30 kills in an attrition match and nearly 190 points. The next best person was 15 kills and nearly 110 points. If there was any logic behind their matchmaking that probably shouldn't happen so regularly.

I would consider myself average but sometimes I have games where I'm basically Neo and have become The One and it doesnt matter what the enemy team does because im going to wallrun right over them and shoot them in the head one after another, and then take my Titan and put three of theirs down and proceeded to steal a battery from a fourth and run merrily away.

But when I'm on the opposite side of that I usually just cancel matchmaking after the game is over and wait a minute or two before queuing again.

Knifegrab posted:

I am catching up but I just want to say the Archer is really loving good in this game since it has huge range, tracking ability and a massive amount of damage on strike. Yes it can be avoided, those are the tradeoffs. Use it when an enemy is distracted fighting friendly titans. AMP it for oodles of damage and quick build meter.

Also phase shift is hands down the "best" tactical in the game. Its literally not even close.

I can't seem to make phase shift work for me, usually stick to the grappling hook. What boost are you preferring when you use phase shift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm chompin' at the bit for the Angel City trailer and the patch notes.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
^^^ :same:

PlushCow posted:

I would consider myself average but sometimes I have games where I'm basically Neo and have become The One and it doesnt matter what the enemy team does because im going to wallrun right over them and shoot them in the head one after another, and then take my Titan and put three of theirs down and proceeded to steal a battery from a fourth and run merrily away.

But when I'm on the opposite side of that I usually just cancel matchmaking after the game is over and wait a minute or two before queuing again.

I can't seem to make phase shift work for me, usually stick to the grappling hook. What boost are you preferring when you use phase shift?

Boost? You mean the pilot perks? Faster tactical recharge (plus tactikill on my gun generally), and low profile. Phase shift is insanely good for stealing batteries so low profile is the obvious match up. Because its so flippin strong having it off cooldown is a must.

If you mean boost as in actual boost, if I am having fun I go with either battery, anti-titan sentry or smart pistol. If I am trying I go with amped weapons.

Remember the key is to phase shift, wait a tiny bit, then immediately change direction or act squirley.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really hope they get rid of the big orange HUD pointer if you steal someone's battery

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I bought this for PC around launch, and I'm enjoying it a good bit. I played through the campaign (which was surprisingly cool), and now I have a solid 10 hours in multiplayer. I'm generally pretty good at bounty hunt, and I'm able to finish in the top 2 on my team more often than not. I'm still not terribly good at pilot vs. pilot combat, though. I really struggle to hit people when I'm moving around like crazy, but if I sit still it makes me a sitting duck. Most of my kills come when I take people by surprise. Are there any tips other than "git gud?"

Also, I've been sticking with the default AR (the 201 carbine), because it seems the most balanced and I haven't had much luck with anything else. I really like its accuracy. Am I handicapping myself by not moving on to something different?

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 28, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A Behind-The-Scenes Look at the Best Mission in ‘Titanfall 2’

Pretty cool read

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

In Training posted:

I really hope they get rid of the big orange HUD pointer if you steal someone's battery

They just need to turn the time down, it's surprisingly long.

I had a game on Boomtown where I stole a battery, ran through like 2 houses a block away and stopped to look for a friendly Titan, and the Ronin I stole it from came around the corner and sworded me. Killcam showed that I still had the battery icon on me.

BTW if you're Cloaked you don't get a Battery Icon.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Knifegrab posted:

^^^ :same:

Boost? You mean the pilot perks? Faster tactical recharge (plus tactikill on my gun generally), and low profile. Phase shift is insanely good for stealing batteries so low profile is the obvious match up. Because its so flippin strong having it off cooldown is a must.

If you mean boost as in actual boost, if I am having fun I go with either battery, anti-titan sentry or smart pistol. If I am trying I go with amped weapons.

Remember the key is to phase shift, wait a tiny bit, then immediately change direction or act squirley.

Will try the squirrel thing, usually my brain goes into panic mode after a rodeo and a titan trying to stomp/punch/shoot me.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Also, I've been sticking with the default AR (the 201 carbine), because it seems the most balanced and I haven't had much luck with anything else. I really like it's accuracy. Am I handicapping myself by not moving on to something different?

No you're fine. Gun choice in this game are more about preference and utility than any power differential. You're really not hobbled in any way by the beginning guns, though the anti-titan guns are all very different types.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

il serpente cosmico posted:

I bought this for PC around launch, and I'm enjoying it a good bit. I played through the campaign (which was surprisingly cool), and now I have a solid 10 hours in multiplayer. I'm generally pretty good at bounty hunt, and I'm able to finish in the top 2 on my team more often than not. I'm still not terribly good at pilot vs. pilot combat, though. I really struggle to hit people when I'm moving around like crazy, but if I sit still it makes me a sitting duck. Most of my kills come when I take people by surprise. Are there any tips other than "git gud?"

Also, I've been sticking with the default AR (the 201 carbine), because it seems the most balanced and I haven't had much luck with anything else. I really like it's accuracy. Am I handicapping myself by not moving on to something different?

I've found trying to be TOO fancy can do more harm than good. Stay real mobile and fast while trying to escape/ assess, but if you're actually trying to gun someone down try and simplify. You'd be amazed how often you'll come out on top by simply sliding into a gunfight instead of charging in normally.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW, for the new players: a good thing you can do with the Grapple is shoot it out about 20 feet at the ground in front of you and, the moment it makes contact and starts pulling you forward, jump into the air. You will jump about 15 feet into the air and get a nice forward momentum boost.

I wish the grapple had more charges - 4 of them, with the same amount of grapple time as currently; the fact that it keeps you from shooting is enough of a balance mechanism IMO.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I might give the G2A5 a try when I unlock it, but I won't worry about moving on from the default rifle for now.

One of the coolest moments I've had thus far was using the grappling hook to get some momentum, and accidentally hitting a cloaked person that I didn't see at all and then melee killing them.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blakkout posted:

I'm a lowly noob who just picked this up on Black Friday. Where is the best place to get good info on the PvP meta, loadouts, etc.? I was a little surprised at my inability to find anything authoritative on Google and YouTube.

Only played the Pilot and Titan mode where you bank money so far. I've been using the Scorch Titan just because I'm most framiliar with the weapon set, but I seem to be the only one doing so, so that can't be right. My Pilot's rocking the CAR and MGL. Are there more forgiving primaries? A lot of people seem to use the Charge Rifle, but I feel more effective against Titans with the MGL. Is there something I'm missing here? Are there any kits worth using other than fast regen? Pilot health pools seem very small...

Any insight for a new player would be much appreciated.

You'll get owned quickly using scorch on their wide open maps. Switch to something else when you see the map you're gonna be dropped in to. Enemies just have an incredibly eat time running away from him. He's best on the tight maps where you can trap people or restrict their movement.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Knifegrab posted:

I am catching up but I just want to say the Archer is really loving good in this game since it has huge range, tracking ability and a massive amount of damage on strike. Yes it can be avoided, those are the tradeoffs. Use it when an enemy is distracted fighting friendly titans. AMP it for oodles of damage and quick build meter.

Just regened so I can't test it myself, but after you get a solid tone can you point it upwards and arc it over buildings? I remember doing a Javelin impression got me a lot of otherwise-impossible hits in T1.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

This level was some of the most fun I've had in an fps.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Just regened so I can't test it myself, but after you get a solid tone can you point it upwards and arc it over buildings? I remember doing a Javelin impression got me a lot of otherwise-impossible hits in T1.

Only slightly, I wish you could do it better, but as of right now you can only barely angle it upwards. Too much and the lock breaks and you can't fire.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I really miss silenced weapons. I loved ghosting through the map in TF1 with cloak and a silenced SMG. It was really good for farming grunts and catching pilots who relied on their radar too much.

This game is super rad, though, and Tone is OP.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
RE: Ion chat a couple of pages ago

Using the alternate fire (ADS) on the splitter rifle is usually a last resort against pilots, always try to conserve your energy and use your laser shot and fists for Pilots.

Also Ions are a complete counter to Legion. Just aim for Legion's toesies.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 28, 2016

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Wazzit posted:

pretty pictures

You've inspired me to play the ion more.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wazzit, I think it's fair to say that you are a fuckin' terror in the Ion and I'm glad I'm safe from you over in Console Kingdom.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

I would play an entire campaign of nothing but this with the smart pistol.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

It's incredible to me how many people just keep shooting at Ion when she has her shield up. Especially Legion and Tone. :psyduck:

Haha, I never noticed that Ion actually shoots the arm off with her shoulder laser rather than just tearing it off. That's awesome. :black101:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ion is really good when you realize the laser is its real primary. Exploding a doomed titan with its own ordinance is also extremely satisfying

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I've just started this game and am going through the campaign. I have not read the thread much other than to know this is really good and to get the gist of how the game works. That said, I'll make the following observation without knowing if this applies to multiplayer or not.

Boy they really hosed up by giving you Scorch right after Tone.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I really miss silenced weapons. I loved ghosting through the map in TF1 with cloak and a silenced SMG. It was really good for farming grunts and catching pilots who relied on their radar too much.

This game is super rad, though, and Tone is OP.

Pistol sidearms can still be silenced. The Mozambique, the sidearm-shotgun, is pretty bad-rear end with a silencer on it and run and gun.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Blakkout posted:

I'm a lowly noob who just picked this up on Black Friday. Where is the best place to get good info on the PvP meta, loadouts, etc.? I was a little surprised at my inability to find anything authoritative on Google and YouTube.

Only played the Pilot and Titan mode where you bank money so far. I've been using the Scorch Titan just because I'm most framiliar with the weapon set, but I seem to be the only one doing so, so that can't be right. My Pilot's rocking the CAR and MGL. Are there more forgiving primaries? A lot of people seem to use the Charge Rifle, but I feel more effective against Titans with the MGL. Is there something I'm missing here? Are there any kits worth using other than fast regen? Pilot health pools seem very small...

Any insight for a new player would be much appreciated.

New player here whos watched some youtubes and read some poo poo.
Best primary weapons appear to be Volt and Eva and having played around with those two I concur they are nice noob weapons.

Volt is v accurate at short and midrange without having to aim down the sites and has barely any recoil, so is an excellent weapon for panicking and holding down the button while jumping around clumsily as long as you try and get it towards their head.

This is doubly true for Eva the autoshotty which is probably the premier noob weapon imo, one shot to the general head region or two anywhere else will kill a player and it fires very quickly. Its only real weakness is that it drops off to zero damage with range pretty quickly. I have had a lot of good times using Stim and Eva though, if you're anything but point blank range when you see a pilot stim into them at 100mph and fire wildly, I have got a lot of completely undeserved kills with this weapon cause I only need to hit twice.

I think the warp/blink pilot move is supposed to be the strongest, but cloak and stim are also pretty good. Cloak either fucks players up or they just shoot your head so it varies a little. I almost always roll with grappling hook though because its so drat fun and makes rodeoing titans super easy.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
We need to sticky this on every page:

Newbie Tips
  • Use any gun, but don't aim down the sights.
  • THE FLOOR IS LAVA
  • Have fun.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Lumpy posted:

We need to sticky this on every page:

Newbie Tips
  • Use any gun, but don't aim down the sights.
Several guns are unusable if you don't ADS and many others are situational for ADSing. Basically never ADS with SMGs and rarely with shotties, but you need to ADS with Hemlock/G2/snipers, and I generally ADS with Devotion. I usually don't ADS with the L-STAR and I don't use the Spitfire because it sucks.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 28, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Elysiume posted:

Several guns are unusable if you don't ADS and many others are situational for ADSing. Basically never ADS with SMGs and rarely with shotties, but you need to ADS with Hemlock/G2/snipers, and I generally ADS with Devotion. I usually don't ADS with the L-STAR and I don't use the Spitfire because it sucks.

I hipfire the devotion and once it gets revved up, then I switch to ADS. Seems to have treated me well so far.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ADS with Mastiff at close range is an almost guaranteed one-hit kill. The grouping gets substantially tighter.

The Mastiff is super fun, I recommend everyone get it to level 11 so you can roll with Extra Ammo + Reload and wreck house.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Most weapons in this games don't require any ADS, although with the Carbine (arguably the best gun? Not the most fun though) you should probably aim at mid to long range.

Alternator is my favorite weapon in the game. It's hipfire accuracy is insane, never ADS with it.

Also yeah, EVA is a lot of fun but it's very map and mode specific for me to be any good with it. It's really good for clearing out hardpoint buildings on Eden.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Wazzit, I think it's fair to say that you are a fuckin' terror in the Ion and I'm glad I'm safe from you over in Console Kingdom.

:blush: awh, thanks!

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 28, 2016

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Elysiume posted:

The guns you start with you shouldn't ADS most of the time. So for newbies, "don't ADS" is a good rule of thumb.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

To be quite honest I'm starting to come around to Hardpoint being my favorite mode. Has a nice mix of Titans, on foot, camping, attacking. Just wish it had some dang AI in it to liven things up.

Lumpy posted:

The guns you start with you shouldn't ADS most of the time. So for newbies, "don't ADS" is a good rule of thumb.

That's good advice.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

"If you have to ADS with a gun, don't use it" is also a fair rule of thumb.

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
Shoutout to those guys who kicked my rear end a short while ago

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

chumbler posted:

"If you have to ADS with a gun, don't use it" is also a fair rule of thumb.

Unless you're using amped wall on Crash Site or Homestead. Then absolutely use the Devotion.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
The volt is the most retarded uber gun and it shoots blue sperms and I love it to hell. It and the giant wide line that the mastiff shoots are my favorite guns.

Also gravity stars are fun all day errday, run around a corner as someone's tagging you, turn around, star the corner, watch as they get caught and light them up all day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

PlushCow posted:

I would consider myself average but sometimes I have games where I'm basically Neo and have become The One

Literally me. I'll be at the bottom of the scoreboards a couple games then all the sudden I'm at the top at 130-150 for a game

We had a solid PS4 group going last night for like 5 hours, good stuff

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Never not use the Devotion

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
I wish I'd not used the volt so much to be honest, every other gun feels like I'm playing drunk now. putting a single hitscan weapon in a game where everything else has travel time seems counter-intuitive at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Knifegrab posted:

Also phase shift is hands down the "best" tactical in the game. Its literally not even close.

The only thing that sucks rear end about Phase is the delay when activating it and it should be instant, don't all of the other perks come out as soon as you press the button? I've had many deaths because of the half-second it takes for the "squeeze the tech thingy to activate" animation to actually go. At least make the thing faster.