Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
when do we get to find the cassette tapes where Ignis starts talking about copulating with hamburgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

male.. to female... thundaga copulation

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm Prompto, and you are too.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
What's the over-under on the honeymoon ending in a fortnight and everyone turning on Kojima Tabata?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
what the gently caress kind of names are prompto and gladiolus. I'm surprised someone hasn't been named loquacious yet in a FF game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sunning posted:

What's the over-under on the honeymoon ending in a fortnight and everyone turning on Kojima Tabata?

I doubt we'll be getting as much of a backlash as Phantom Pain got unless someone leaks an entire cut ending complete with CG assets in the next month or so.

nachos posted:

what the gently caress kind of names are prompto and gladiolus. I'm surprised someone hasn't been named loquacious yet in a FF game.

Thank Nomura for that. People have been mocking the mangled Latin-ish names since the game was announced a decade ago.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone happen to have an extra amazon road trip code they could give me?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Buy this on xbone or wait for pc?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Gamespot give it an 8/10. Same feelings as everyone else... great gameplay, bad story. Gamespot is actually the first to also say the characters are bad as well. They feel they are generic and never evolve past their archetypes.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megasabin posted:

Gamespot give it an 8/10. Same feelings as everyone else... great gameplay, bad story. Gamespot is actually the first to also say the characters are bad as well. They feel they are generic and never evolve past their archetypes.

Relin posted:

all the reviews so far have bashed the plot :I

After watching the movie I'd be surprised if this was any different.

But hey if the gameplay is good!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

nachos posted:

I watched Kingsglaive last night and was surprised the capital city was named "Insomnia"

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Art director (Hasegawa) is the only person having fun on the dance floor here on the European launch party.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Norns posted:

Buy this on xbone or wait for pc?

xbone I guess. PC version might be a while

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Everywhere else has praised the characters though, even Polygon surprisingly enough. I suppose how much you like the characters depends on how willing you are to buy into the first half of the game being a road trip with bros though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Reviews say the game takes risks with old formulas and, while it doesn't always succeed, is a breath of fresh air.

Happy to hear. Excitement.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wonder if now SE have a clear path for XVI and just use some of the similar systems and stuff for that one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would imagine they'd be focusing on FF 7 remake for now but who knows

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Megasabin posted:

someone hold me back

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Augus posted:

someone hold me back

wage holy war

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love Final Fantasy 14 but this is not even a little bit true. What it has is some very good dialogue that helps to make all the quests a little more memorable. It still can't manage the character arcs you get with a non-MMO game, and the plot has serious pacing issues. There are tons of things I like about FF14's writing, but it is not the best in the series.
i cared more about haurchefant than i did about aeris, checkmate atheists

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love Final Fantasy 14 but this is not even a little bit true. What it has is some very good dialogue that helps to make all the quests a little more memorable. It still can't manage the character arcs you get with a non-MMO game, and the plot has serious pacing issues. There are tons of things I like about FF14's writing, but it is not the best in the series.

It may not be the best, but it's in the top 20%

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I'm not particularly fussed about "the characters are kind of generic." It's disappointing but "good gameplay with some fairly reasonable archetypes" ain't a dealbreaker for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the 'archetypes' criticism is also really dumb because there's only so many characters people can write, and especially in a video game where 80% of the runtime is gameplay, broad archetypes are useful for immediately signaling to the viewer what a character is about without having to spend hours setting them up. its much more important that the characters bounce off each other in entertaining ways and have interesting interactions with each other and the world around them than for them to be the most unique characters ever. just saying 'the characters are archetypes' without any further criticism is lame

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Endorph posted:

also the 'archetypes' criticism is also really dumb because there's only so many characters people can write, and especially in a video game where 80% of the runtime is gameplay, broad archetypes are useful for immediately signaling to the viewer what a character is about without having to spend hours setting them up. its much more important that the characters bounce off each other in entertaining ways and have interesting interactions with each other and the world around them than for them to be the most unique characters ever. just saying 'the characters are archetypes' without any further criticism is lame

Yeah, I enjoy the Tales series so it's not like archetypical characters are a turn off to me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I would imagine they'd be focusing on FF 7 remake for now but who knows

That or the DLC for XV. I did hear that the DLC would flesh out the story or whatever.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I dunno, I kinda like that the story seems to take place off-screen. Maybe it was a product of them taping together bits of script they found in Nomura's trashcan, but it makes sense to me that these bros are out on their own just hearing about the world going to poo poo, and them constantly scrambling to catch up. It's the XII approach to storytelling, and I loved it there.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Three hours to burn :smith:

HD DAD posted:

I dunno, I kinda like that the story seems to take place off-screen. Maybe it was a product of them taping together bits of script they found in Nomura's trashcan, but it makes sense to me that these bros are out on their own just hearing about the world going to poo poo, and them constantly scrambling to catch up. It's the XII approach to storytelling, and I loved it there.

I appreciate it. Going from how you were GOD ALMIGHTY OMNISCIENT LIGHTNING in the last one to this, yes please. In one of my fave JRPGs you can end up on the wayside of the main storyline, in such a way that one of the characters you missed out on for your party ends up completing the game and the utimate goal for you, giving the game an early ending of ultimate guilt-trip. Then in another JRPG I love, you're not even a pawn on the chessboard of international affairs, drama, politics, intrigue and military conflict, not even in the end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

3 hours until everyone accepts Lightning's games are not the worst final fantasy. :unsmith:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

Three hours to burn :smith:
You could watch Kingsglaive twice!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've gone from completely disinterested to cautiously hyped about this over the last couple days, enough so that I'll be downloading it ASAP. Here's hoping :unsmith:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Terper posted:

You could watch Kingsglaive twice!!

Or The Spirits Within twice, the only good FF movie.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

3 hours until everyone accepts Lightning's games are not the worst final fantasy. :unsmith:

ff13 is middle of the series, 13-2 is pretty below average but not worse than 3-DS, and lightning returns is in the top 5.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Or you could just listen to this on repeat many many times over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtuwltmTp9I

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Or The Spirits Within twice, the only good FF movie.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Many years ago a friend came over, put on Spirits Within and we watched half of it before he got bored, took the DVD out of the player and then just went home. I've always meant to go back and finish but never got around to it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Quick question: the FMV depicting the death of the king seemed really weird. I know that one of the patches added more FMVs or something, did I see the un-patched version or is it supposed to be a bunch of jump cuts? Do they ever show the whole thing in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What's in 3 hours? Game doesn't come out for another 9.

• Locked thread