Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Do you guys think this PHUL style routine would be awful? I have been lifting long enough to at least have an idea of exercises I like and don't like, but I haven't really deviated much from the standard 3 day full body ss/5x5 style of training so I just copied a phul template and put stuff I like doing. I'm still working on improving in other areas like diet/sleep/etc so this is just a little experiment for a while changing up frequency and whatnot to see how it goes and if I might like something different. In case people wonder about the leg days, I already know for a fact my lower body responds really well to low volume, when I first started doing starting strength my quads blew up in relation to my upper body, so this is more focusing on upper body. I am still learning though so for all I know this could be awful, but it looks to me like it would keep me entertained for a while and see how I respond compared to doing my older stuff.

Upper Strength Monday
Bench 3x5
OHP 3x5
Incline BP 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x5
Pull ups
Face pull 3x10
Biceps

Lower Strength Tuesday
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Cable Crunches 3x10

Upper Hypertrophy Thursday
DB Bench 3x10
OHP 3x10
Incline BP 2x10
Cable Cross over 3x10
Dumbell Shoulder raise 3x10
Lat pull down 3x10
Cable row 3x10
Skullcrusher 3x10
Face Pull 3x10
Biceps

Lower Hypertrophy Friday
Front Squat 3x8
Lunges 2x10
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Farmers Walks
Planks

I'd obviously be going for more intense weights on the strength days, but lighter leaving a little energy in the tank on the hypertrophy days. I've always been a little interested in the BB style splits, but with the hours I work I just can't go to the gym 5 or 6 days a week.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 28, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Strength days need way less volume.

How long do these routines take you?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I could take out the inclines on strength days. I can't answer that because I haven't actually started it yet. Like I said, I just wanna swap things up for a while and include some other exercises I enjoy that aren't part of SS/Strong lifts.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Strength Tuesday should just be 1x1 deadlifts every week.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
nah that sounds dumb. Although I've been curious about trying out triples

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 28, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Working up to a heavy single is the chillest routine.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

nah that sounds dumb. Although I've been curious about trying out triples
I really like doing more sets at lower reps for squats. For everything else, eh, it's time consuming.

For squats it's nice because I find squats taxing as heck. I also have really bad squat proportions that make the lift more difficult (23" femur/19" torso and some other factors). If I didn't have so much torso lean I'd probably like higher reps more I guess.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 28, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

sassassin posted:

Working up to a heavy single is the chillest routine.

Ah, that makes more sense. I thought you meant like, just a few light warmups, then one single.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

In case people wonder about the leg days, I already know for a fact my lower body responds really well to low volume, when I first started doing starting strength my quads blew up in relation to my upper body, so this is more focusing on upper body.
I feel like I read this monthly. Your legs got bigger because they are the largest muscle group in the body and the source of most of your power. It is your body so you make the choices but really think about this. I always focused on legs since I started many years ago and now I have a giant swole rear end that my wife married me for.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
In truth, a powerful rear end is a fine thing to have.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

E_P posted:

I feel like I read this monthly. Your legs got bigger because they are the largest muscle group in the body and the source of most of your power. It is your body so you make the choices but really think about this. I always focused on legs since I started many years ago and now I have a giant swole rear end that my wife married me for.

No, it's not that I'm afraid of "getting too bulky" or anything like that. It's just I already know what sort of stimulus I need to get them stronger and growing. Why add a ton of volume when I know I don't need it? And besides, like I said this is just something to play around with for a bit before I move on. And it's not like I can't change programs or add in more volume if they start lagging behind. Also time and workout length is a factor, I work a million hours a week and why add in even more poo poo when, at this moment, I don't think I need it. Also still feeling out my previous knee issues, so no need to go overboard right away on that.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 28, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Get bigger by eating more, stop getting bigger by eating less.

Train by doing whatever, it's all the same.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

Get bigger by eating more, stop getting bigger by eating less.

Train by doing whatever, it's all the same.

sleeping a lot also helps

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Posting about lifting is the key to growth, though.

Pre-, post- and peri-workout updates are essential for full development.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's very humbling to blow out your hammies with 45lb dumbbell Romanian deadlifts.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

sassassin posted:

I'm at the gym.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fell off the wagon pretty hard but getting back on. I forgot how much one has to poo poo when training hard.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
making GBS threads is good

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Always poo poo before leg day so you can put in full effort but dont over do it or you might get a hernia.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My current goal is to lose 12 more pounds by xmas, which will put me at 199.9. I haven't been that svelte since the Marines (I am also 6'0). I am thinking of going 100% cardio between now and then.... and call it a recovery period. But I am not sure I want to sacrifice the strength gains of the last 6 months. I want to keep the muscle but lose the layer of whale-like blubber.

Oh what to do.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
eat nothing but salami, vegetables, and water

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

eat nothing but salami, vegetables, and water

Go full carb-free?

Can I replace the salami with other sources of protein?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

GORDON posted:

Can I replace the salami with other sources of protein?

i mean i guess you could but salami is delicious and has nitrates :shrug:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

i mean i guess you could but salami is delicious and has nitrates :shrug:

Compromise... pepperoni? I like the spice.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

GORDON posted:

My current goal is to lose 12 more pounds by xmas, which will put me at 199.9. I haven't been that svelte since the Marines (I am also 6'0). I am thinking of going 100% cardio between now and then.... and call it a recovery period. But I am not sure I want to sacrifice the strength gains of the last 6 months. I want to keep the muscle but lose the layer of whale-like blubber.

Oh what to do.

Why don't you just cut regardless and then train back your strength later. Your muscle mass may go down but you'll retain the neural network so it'll be easier to get strong again (warning this post is 100℅ bro science)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
my neural network is working at 100% efficiency

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My neurons are firing at about 45% due to lack of coffee and salami.

Also I did cardio the last two nights because my old body feels soft. Goodbye gains

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Preworkout Post:

too tired to lift, postponing until tomorrow

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

sassassin posted:

My posts per day was much higher when I made all my gains.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

GORDON posted:

Compromise... pepperoni? I like the spice.

Pepperoni is just a type of salami. A delicious type.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I have a better idea for you all:

Stop posting

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Was sick for two weeks, no lifting. Back in the gym today, my normally light-level dumbbells killed me. I've reverted to being a weak baby.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Was sick for two weeks, no lifting. Back in the gym today, my normally light-level dumbbells killed me. I've reverted to being a weak baby.

This was me two weeks ago. I'd finally been making gainz and kicking rear end, then it disappeared. We will rebuild.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I did legs today. Finally got my lever belt fixed so I went heavy on squats and worked up to 465lbs before I felt like stopping. Then I did step ups on a box that went up to my midsection with 135 and felt like I was dieing. Finished with a couple more exercises and then some half assed ab exercises. I considered stretching after but then decided rather then make a good decision I would go home and play MGSV.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

E_P posted:

I did legs today. Finally got my lever belt fixed so I went heavy on squats and worked up to 465lbs before I felt like stopping. Then I did step ups on a box that went up to my midsection with 135 and felt like I was dieing. Finished with a couple more exercises and then some half assed ab exercises. I considered stretching after but then decided rather then make a good decision I would go home and play MGSV.

Could you fix it yourself or did you manage to find someone out there who could?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Cardio day. Swam 54 laps w/flipturns in 60 minutes and wasn't even breathing hard at the end. Not bad for a 45 year old piece of poo poo.

Also I really like my lap swimming mp3 earbuds.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
been on a serious broccoli + cauliflower kick lately

:yum:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

E_P posted:

I guess after a hard workout like that your brain would be in the proper low functioning mindset required to enjoy that abortion of Metal Gear game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I should probably do cardio

someday

someday i will do cardio