Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Raxivace posted:

Many years ago a friend came over, put on Spirits Within and we watched half of it before he got bored, took the DVD out of the player and then just went home. I've always meant to go back and finish but never got around to it.

It's legit great and the soundtrack is actually one of my favorite film scores. Elliot Goldenthal is a brilliant composer.

Edit: and it's really fun to see the parallels between it and FFVII, as they were cut from the same cloth pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is digital release at midnight local or zulu or some random rear end time in the next 24 hours?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Is digital release at midnight local or zulu or some random rear end time in the next 24 hours?

Midnight EST.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

ff13 is middle of the series, 13-2 is pretty below average but not worse than 3-DS, and lightning returns is in the top 5.

13-2 is better than 13. :colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:agreed:

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Can I still do this Road Trip game thing after the 29th?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No word of a lie.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

When do they announce a Lightning DLC.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Holy poo poo, people talking up Spirits Within. :psyduck: I'm starting to believe the guys who say 2016 is the result of time travelers trying to fix things and making a mess of them.

Your time is more valuable than that. Hey, if you liked Harry Potter, go see Fantastic Beasts, it's got a comprehensible plot and way better CG!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Game looks awesome.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Game looks awesome.

:yeah:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

ff13 is middle of the series, 13-2 is pretty below average but not worse than 3-DS, and lightning returns is in the top 5.

:yeah:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I also wish to :yeah: this

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I never played any 13 games. I just get to go straight from awesome 12 to what looks like awesome 15.

I watched all of brotherhood and the characters didn't seem like arche types. Where is the "used to be an unpopular fat kid, but then got in shape and joined a boy band, but kind of still has an abrasive personality" arche type?

Can't wait to play after reading that polygon review!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
If I went through the Amazon road trip "game", does the Redeem DLC button just give me a code for the PSN store? I finished it up but didn't collect the code because I figured without the game, why bother. But now it's almost here and I don't want to screw it up. I also haven't watched any of the Brotherhood animes yet. I'm a bad Final Fantasy fan. :(

Did Famitsu give it a 40/40?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Is Lightning Returns actually good? I might be down for another FF after I finish XV this weekend, and wait for XII remaster.

Also, played a little bit with 1.02 this morning. I think most of the stuff in the notes was in the 1.01 patch. Being able to blink forward out of combat does make getting through areas a little faster though. There is at least one place I've found that requires you to point-strike to a higher elevation during combat to access (a side area in a cave), though, and you still can't do that outside of battle. Annoying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LR is good, yeah. The story's a bit poo poo but it can't be worse than the XV offering by most accounts and the gameplay is interesting and fun.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

LawfulWaffle posted:

If I went through the Amazon road trip "game", does the Redeem DLC button just give me a code for the PSN store? I finished it up but didn't collect the code because I figured without the game, why bother. But now it's almost here and I don't want to screw it up. I also haven't watched any of the Brotherhood animes yet. I'm a bad Final Fantasy fan. :(

The button is greyed out with text that says you literally cannot collect the code until the game is out so your guess is as good as anyones!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

VanillaGorilla posted:

Is Lightning Returns actually good?

YMMV! It's well liked in the FF thread, but didn't grab me. Been meaning to give it another spin.

The plot is still pretty batshit.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
LR is a solid 7/10 maybe 6/10 for its dumbass story, but just being just above mediocre is still leagues ahead of 13 and 13-2.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

LR is a solid 7/10 maybe 6/10 for its dumbass story, but just being just above mediocre is still leagues ahead of 13 and 13-2.

13-2 and LR revel in their ridiculousness, which is something the original FFXIII always had difficulty with.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Did Famitsu give it a 40/40?
Does the Pope poo poo in the woods?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Saint Freak posted:

The button is greyed out with text that says you literally cannot collect the code until the game is out so your guess is as good as anyones!

Well dang, I should have double checked before posting.

Friendly tip from the mini guide that people gearing up to play at midnight might not know about : In Wait mode, you can see a Libra-like read out of an enemies stats, strengths and weaknesses by locking on to them for a moment. If you never turn Wait mode on, the only way to figure out if something is weak to a particular element is trail and error or a later Ignis ability that needs to be cast for each opponent. Wait mode sounds pretty unobtrusive (only turns on when no buttons are pressed and the left analog stick is neutral) and knowing how best to tackle an encounter is always good, but I know that some people (like myself before reading that) would scoff at it and keep it off for the whole game. So I guess give Wait mode a chance?

I'm ready for a December in Ducsae, and these last 24 hours are torture.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Midnight EST.

Cool. If I preorder will the PS4 just preload it for me so I can play as soon as the clock strikes, or do I have to wait to download?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Cool. If I preorder will the PS4 just preload it for me so I can play as soon as the clock strikes, or do I have to wait to download?

Preload is already out so you can start as soon as you pay for it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Preload is already out so you can start as soon as you pay for it.

Ended up just pushing the button. I see a timer to launch, but no magic 'Start Preload' button anywhere, does it just happen? I'm not good at PS4 :saddowns:

(ed) These artworks are making me feel like I made the right choice buying in, strangely :shobon:

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Shamelessly stolen from the Destructoid review comments

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Ended up just pushing the button. I see a timer to launch, but no magic 'Start Preload' button anywhere, does it just happen? I'm not good at PS4 :saddowns:

(ed) These artworks are making me feel like I made the right choice buying in, strangely :shobon:

It's either in your downloads already. Check notifications and downloads. If not go to your library and go to purchased and download the game there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skeezy posted:

It's either in your downloads already. Check notifications and downloads. If not go to your library and go to purchased and download the game there.

Thanks, had to go to the Library. For some reason I always forget that's there until a game I want to play is missing from the main bar. :v:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dr. dre should recur in future installments like cid

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Is there a notable difference in loading times or other performance issues between an installed disc version and a downloaded version of PS4 games? Have never really played a disc game much since getting the console.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

kalensc posted:

Is there a notable difference in loading times or other performance issues between an installed disc version and a downloaded version of PS4 games? Have never really played a disc game much since getting the console.

None whatsoever. It's the same file, only the delivery and authentication is different.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Gonna play through it with English language voices because it's my industry. Seeya when the credits roll.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the anime worth watching?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RatHat posted:

If you have an hour to kill. Sorta dumb, but if you're buying the game anyway...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RatHat posted:

It's an anime.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The anime has a copious amount of puppies in it so yes.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RatHat posted:

it's fun

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Any solid spoiler free reviews? I see the reddit thread w/ all the reviews but I'd like to listen to some that aren't loaded w/ spoilers while I'm stuck at work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zotix posted:

Any solid spoiler free reviews? I see the reddit thread w/ all the reviews but I'd like to listen to some that aren't loaded w/ spoilers while I'm stuck at work.

The part that can be spoiled is slapdash and middling. The part that is you killing successively more impressive foes, taking quests to do so, and chilling with your virtual bros while you do so is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011

Zotix posted:

gamespot one seemed spoiler free.

• Locked thread