Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i just flail my mouse in the general direction of the enemy and press the shooty button and this almost always lands me near the top of the scoreboards anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Awww, I played in and won an Operation during that badly timed battlefest thing and I didn't get the MP-18 skin?

I think you had to play operations on three separate days as well, or something like that.

For people wanting attack plane footage / tips, this guy was beastly in BF3 and 4. https://youtu.be/YOVMsF2BJb8

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's two Mumble servers; buttchugs.vodka (or whatever the hell it is) is the newer one with new people, grover.house is a literal clone of the database from the old one so you don't have to change anything.

My issue with Mumble over Discord is the mumble audio quality by default is just rear end.

I didn't even see the CTiS (grover) one when looking, if that's where the old mumble crew is playing then I'll hop on that one.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Photex posted:

You have been banned from the server: Crouch only.

Reading this I remembered the worst COD:BLOPS 1 server I've ever seen. Rule 1: Crouch Only. Rule 2: Every time the server admin reads scripture over voice comms, you had to respond in chat with "Praise be" or else you'd get banned. (I SWEAR TO GOD THIS IS TRUE.)

So the entire game everyone is crouching and moving around and then the dude finishes bullshitting and suddenly it's like a game of freeze tag where the entire server would just stop moving (even shooting) to type "Praise be" in order to not get banned. It was loving bizarre, and I stayed in it about 10 minutes to really soak in the absurdity of what was going on. Bonus: he would "randomly" choose quotes from "scripture" but it was almost entirely evangelical televangelist bullshit about hating gay people.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Gonkish posted:

Reading this I remembered the worst COD:BLOPS 1 server I've ever seen. Rule 1: Crouch Only. Rule 2: Every time the server admin reads scripture over voice comms, you had to respond in chat with "Praise be" or else you'd get banned. (I SWEAR TO GOD THIS IS TRUE.)

So the entire game everyone is crouching and moving around and then the dude finishes bullshitting and suddenly it's like a game of freeze tag where the entire server would just stop moving (even shooting) to type "Praise be" in order to not get banned. It was loving bizarre, and I stayed in it about 10 minutes to really soak in the absurdity of what was going on. Bonus: he would "randomly" choose quotes from "scripture" but it was almost entirely evangelical televangelist bullshit about hating gay people.

The only way to play BLOPS1 was only using the knife in gun games.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I think you had to play operations on three separate days as well, or something like that.

For people wanting attack plane footage / tips, this guy was beastly in BF3 and 4. https://youtu.be/YOVMsF2BJb8

I played an won an Operations match on like 5 separate days and didn't get it either, so who knows. Maybe because I was playing 40-man matches?

Don't really care, though it was actually kinda neat looking. I much prefer the skins that look all beat to poo poo over the ones that look like they came out of a Saudi prince's vault.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
What's the most broken support gun? The first one is beyond awful

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

BAR, Benet-Mercie Storm, and MG15 Storm are really good. BAR if you like close-range assault-style play, Benet if you want to wreck people at mid-range, MG15 if you want a typical "hail of bullets" style support gun that is still pretty good at medium-ish ranges.

Personally I like the Benet the most, but the MG15 is close. The BAR is good and some people totally destroy with it, but I just don't gel with the 20 round magazine and the crazy high vertical recoil compared to the other two.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

You're probably not gonna like Support than, other than the ability to throw out infinite ammo. They basically come in 2.5 damage tiers. Low damage bullet hoses (Lewis, MG15) that have all the ammo and tickle a guy to death, and mediocre-damage heavy AR's (Benet-Mercie, BAR, that other one with the GIANT vertical mag on top I'm having a brainfart about right now). Oh and the Huot which has the same close-range damage as the Benet-Mercie and BAR but slightly better range damage.

Basically Support guns have slow time to kills. With the exception of the BAR Trench you basically have to ADS and hold the gun on a target to kill. They make up for it with surprising range due to MG mechanics (their recoil lessens and they become more stable every shot, so after 2-3 bullets they become bullet lasers). You do have to balance overheating with that, but that only matters if you fire 40+ round bursts, which only about half of the guns can even maintain. With the B-M or BAR it's a literal non-issue.

Anyways, what all those :words: mean is if you hate the starter Lewis Low Weight (which is now a non-poo poo gun after the patch), likely the only Support gun you'll find you can stand will be the BAR Trench. Everything else you have to ADS.

Captain Blaargh posted:

Who ordered the landshark a few days ago? I finally made it. Landshark erry day.

Link to acquire:
https://emblem.battlefield.com/WeXJHgj1Fy

Bonus:

My new wizard revamp for a classic 70's van look on your heavy tank or landshipshark.

https://emblem.battlefield.com/BFsHOWJ3Fy

Edit: Badge music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0WNMSTG5C8

Hah! That was me. I meant to make my own but never got around to it until you inspired/reminded me. Here's mine:

https://emblem.battlefield.com/rBskhWJgGy

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
If you use the BAR telescopic and ADS, it's basically like an assault rifle from any other battlefield game, the telescopic version has a lot more accuracy and tiny cone of fire.

The MG15 is very good if you crouch while firing.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NickBlasta posted:

If you use the BAR telescopic and ADS, it's basically like an assault rifle from any other battlefield game, the telescopic version has a lot more accuracy and tiny cone of fire.

The MG15 is very good if you crouch while firing.

Starting to get a handle on that thing now. It is pretty good for hip firing, i found out that crouching up and down like an idiot in close quarters while spraying the enemy is a good thing.

EDIT: Holy poo poo pubbies in this game are beyond stupid. I disabled and enemy heavy tank, the pilot tried to gently caress off but i killed him as well. I checked for enemy presence nearby, and darted out to repair the enemy tank. Then I zealously guarded it while imploring my team and squadmates to take the enemy tank. The shitheads spawned on me and proceeded to either sit idly in my tank or bugger off into the hills (only to get sniped over and over).

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 28, 2016

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Tbh I'm finding most of the guns in this game a bit boring. I think the lack of customisation really hurts it. Maybe the era of modern combat games has broken me.

Bit of a waste of £40, but I'm probably going to go back to BF4 which has more variation on gameplay styles and is more fun because of it.

Maybe they'll do an overhaul patch which opens up the classes a bit like having shared weapons, but I doubt it.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I'm happy there aren't people running around with guns specced out with holo sights and foreward grips and all the other nonsense. Have a handful of different guns that are useful each in their own right is more interesting personally. The problem is the balance is bad. The assault class is probably the only class you should play, since the weapons are overpowered AND the class can deal with armor (to be super pro, pick the 10-A and spend 170 hours of your life pwning noobs). Even within the other classes the balance is messed up- for instance, I tried some of the medic guns but the Sebtlstltslader Marksman has superior stats to the Mondragon in every way. There's no preference to which gun you like, some guns are simply better than the others and there's no reason to use half of them.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Tbh I'm finding most of the guns in this game a bit boring. I think the lack of customisation really hurts it. Maybe the era of modern combat games has broken me.

Bit of a waste of £40, but I'm probably going to go back to BF4 which has more variation on gameplay styles and is more fun because of it.

Maybe they'll do an overhaul patch which opens up the classes a bit like having shared weapons, but I doubt it.

I liked BF4 in the beginning for all the crap you could unlock and mount on the weapons but in the end I would use a handful of the same unlocks and the other ones just became noise. I dunno know how long you played BF1 but I would give it a few more tries before giving up on it.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Gonkish posted:

That sounds really fun actually

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Black Griffon posted:

Accept my request (Marchidian) you fun dummy.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll add you next time I'm on too! I'm bad at airplanes, but good at repairing, exploding, and spraying guns with reckless abandon. :v:

Sweet, I'll accept/add when I get home from work. I'm terrible at everything except killing dudes with the 10-A.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

BAR, Benet-Mercie Storm, and MG15 Storm are really good. BAR if you like close-range assault-style play, Benet if you want to wreck people at mid-range, MG15 if you want a typical "hail of bullets" style support gun that is still pretty good at medium-ish ranges.

Personally I like the Benet the most, but the MG15 is close. The BAR is good and some people totally destroy with it, but I just don't gel with the 20 round magazine and the crazy high vertical recoil compared to the other two.

I really like the Benet-Mercie Telescopic. The bi-pod makes controlling choke-points a blast, and you can also gently caress with snipers from across the map.

Remember that none of the fully automatic weapons do much damage, and most will require 5-6 hits to kill someone from full health.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
There's a lot of hate for Medic guns, so try using the Autoloader 8.25mm Extended or the ML1907 SL Sweeper more often if you haven't found one that works yet. Autoloader is ideal for close / mid, Sweeper is more of a mid / long range. Both take 2-3 body shots, so with any semi-auto, aim for the neck / head. Autoloader's recoil goes straight up, so a well placed neck shot can give you a good followup, depending on your distance. Yes, the 10-A Hunter is king of close range, as is any shotgun in any FPS contest. Doesn't mean the other guns are useless.

This game is fun, and definitely a better launch experience than BF4's hitbox fiasco.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wang_Tang posted:

Is there an easier way of getting 20 rifle grenade kills so I can go back to healing people again?

monte grappa, stand outside a bunker and fire rifle grenades in

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

il serpente cosmico posted:

I really like the Benet-Mercie Telescopic. The bi-pod makes controlling choke-points a blast, and you can also gently caress with snipers from across the map.

Remember that none of the fully automatic weapons do much damage, and most will require 5-6 hits to kill someone from full health.

There are a few maps where I like the telescopic guns (like Amiens / Argonne) but 90% of the time I almost never go prone just because it's an instant death sentence on any map where there are snipers hiding on every ridge. If you actually get to set up and let it rip for a while they can totally shut down lanes of movement, but I tend to do much better when I just never stop moving.

I have tried using smoke grenades instead of my usual gas with the bipod-equipped LMGs, and that seemed to work pretty well. Just vanishing in a puff of smoke while dumping hundreds of rounds into a corridor tends to get pretty ugly. It's really nice on objective modes (Rush in particular) where people tend to sit back and camp the spot but are afraid to actually get too close.

onesixtwo posted:

There's a lot of hate for Medic guns, so try using the Autoloader 8.25mm Extended or the ML1907 SL Sweeper more often if you haven't found one that works yet. Autoloader is ideal for close / mid, Sweeper is more of a mid / long range. Both take 2-3 body shots, so with any semi-auto, aim for the neck / head. Autoloader's recoil goes straight up, so a well placed neck shot can give you a good followup, depending on your distance. Yes, the 10-A Hunter is king of close range, as is any shotgun in any FPS contest. Doesn't mean the other guns are useless.

This game is fun, and definitely a better launch experience than BF4's hitbox fiasco.

I haven't played too much with the Sweeper so I don't recall if it's the same, but for the Autoloader at least I believe it's 4 body shots to kill someone at full health. The upside is that it's super accurate and the recoil is almost nonexistent compared to some of the other rifles, but the Mondragon / Selbstlader definitely kill faster if you can get used to the weird millisecond pause you have to take between shots to let your reticle settle. I've gotten to the point where I can kill people out past 100 meters with it pretty consistently, even if they are running.

Definitely won't be winning a fair fight at close range against an assault player, but that's fair enough considering they aren't going to beat you at mid / long range.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 29, 2016

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I know this gets asked every few pages but did anyone make a list of all the bomb rear end emblems we've got to choose from?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I haven't played too much with the Sweeper so I don't recall if it's the same, but for the Autoloader at least I believe it's 4 body shots to kill someone at full health. The upside is that it's super accurate and the recoil is almost nonexistent compared to some of the other rifles, but the Mondragon / Selbstlader definitely kill faster if you can get used to the weird millisecond pause you have to take between shots to let your reticle settle. I've gotten to the point where I can kill people out past 100 meters with it pretty consistently, even if they are running.

Definitely won't be winning a fair fight at close range against an assault player, but that's fair enough considering they aren't going to beat you at mid / long range.

Both the Sweeper and Autoloader .25 will 3-hit to the body at short range, but suffer fairly precipitous damage drop off outside of short/medium range and need 5 hits at longer distances (with the Sweeper getting about an extra 9-10 yards of 3 and 4-hit range over the Autoloader). They have very short TTK's in that 3-hit range, comparable to Assault class weapons (sometime superior in the case of the Autoloader). They still lose in terms of pure TTK to the Automatico and getting one-hit by a shotgun (i.e. what most Assaults are currently packing), and they're worse than SMGs and Shotguns at hipfire/on the move, but they will straight up clown the primary of any other class at short range and the differences are small enough that you still have a pretty good fighting chance against Assaults.

The Mondragon and Selbstlader are still definitely better all-rounder weapons once you get used to them though, given the design and engagement ranges of the current maps. Plus the Medic has access to the Auto-Revolver, which is great for clearing rooms, the thing the Mondragon and Selbstlader are probably worst at. But if you know you're going to be fighting at short range both the Sweeper and Autoloader .25 are really good.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's two Mumble servers; buttchugs.vodka (or whatever the hell it is) is the newer one with new people, grover.house is a literal clone of the database from the old one so you don't have to change anything.

My issue with Mumble over Discord is the mumble audio quality by default is just rear end.

Are...Are you really trying to say Discord sounds better than mumble? Congrats on being deaf.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Awww, I played in and won an Operation during that badly timed battlefest thing and I didn't get the MP-18 skin?

Yup, I did not get it as well. Thanks, Dice.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Apparently you had to be on the attacking team and win / be present for both maps. Winning as a defender by shutting them out doesn't count, for some incredibly dumb reason. They definitely could have mentioned that at some point, but oh well.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010

guns for tits posted:

Yup, I did not get it as well. Thanks, Dice.

It doesn't show up in your inventory. Go into a match and select the mp-18 and it should be there under visuals.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
I think I'm taking a break until the new map, I love the game to the point where if I get to legit burnout this early in it's life I'll regret goon shenanigans I miss out on in coming DLCs.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I don't see any reason to play anything outside of medic or assault since they cover the most situations with the most flexibility. That worthless anecdote aside, the game is really a blast. I just wish grinding the weapon unlock bucks didn't take forever.

Also be wary of the death house.
https://gfycat.com/AnxiousWavyAtlanticspadefish

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else getting really bad rubberbanding tonight?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The difference between playing with a mostly pub group and with goons is pretty hilarious. With a good 10+ goon squad the goon team is generally on top of everything.

Instead I played with my friends tonight and while we were mostly on the ball, we were only five people on a 40 man operation server so we were the ones cleaning up. It felt good to be the guy who downed both Zeppelins on Kaisherlacht. It also felt really good demonstrating how hilariously powerful the zeppelin-hunter attack plane is at its one job.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Alkydere posted:

The difference between playing with a mostly pub group and with goons is pretty hilarious. With a good 10+ goon squad the goon team is generally on top of everything.

Instead I played with my friends tonight and while we were mostly on the ball, we were only five people on a 40 man operation server so we were the ones cleaning up. It felt good to be the guy who downed both Zeppelins on Kaisherlacht. It also felt really good demonstrating how hilariously powerful the zeppelin-hunter attack plane is at its one job.

If you get your eye in real good you can nail heavy bombers with it too. Two rockets will kill.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

If you get your eye in real good you can nail heavy bombers with it too. Two rockets will kill.

Wait, really? I honestly thought the zep-killer rockets were more or less worthless otherwise. I guess I'll have to experiment.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
This is my first BF game, but I like to think I'm not completely useless. I mainly play medic, but I try to become a mediocre pilot and horseman.

EU goons, please add Internetdad009

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So we unexpectedly re-encountered a trio of rank 96+ streamers and friends off a server after defending vs. them for the second time in an operation tonight; first Monte Grappa, then St. Quentin.

e: Turns out we're a bunch of massive assholes :negative:

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 29, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I started playing rush maps and I'm suddenly on top of the ladder each time. Pubbies have a total tunnel vision when the bomb is ticking so I got my assault medal in a single round. I know what I'm playing from now on.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

GyverMac posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo pubbies in this game are beyond stupid. I disabled and enemy heavy tank, the pilot tried to gently caress off but i killed him as well. I checked for enemy presence nearby, and darted out to repair the enemy tank. Then I zealously guarded it while imploring my team and squadmates to take the enemy tank. The shitheads spawned on me and proceeded to either sit idly in my tank or bugger off into the hills (only to get sniped over and over).
Compare to a goon game where SOMEONE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED ditched his tank at low health and promptly got himself killed, so I snatched it, let a goon hold it while I redeployed with a wrench, then went on a 20-something kills streak (I suck at tanks, if you couldn't tell).

Yesterday I was second best score on Fao with all of 7 kills, and had a loving blast. BFgoons are life.

I just wished more eurogoons were on my friends list, so add me you nerds. nodisambiguation is my origin.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 29, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

I started playing rush maps and I'm suddenly on top of the ladder each time. Pubbies have a total tunnel vision when the bomb is ticking so I got my assault medal in a single round. I know what I'm playing from now on.

The whole reason why they have tunnel vision is because you basically have to keep the objective permanently in flame lest it get defused.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, but they don't bother to check the surroundings at all when they're blindly plunging in to difuse the bomb so if you stand a bit away from it you can just cap people running directly into your crosshairs like it's a shooting gallery. I found that I could get the 5 kills in one life really easily in that mode.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What we did late at night was wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbp5hW68VP8

This is a war crime goons

E: Also its good to know when a video goes on too long in shadowplay and the program automatically cuts the video and starts a new recording the sound can still get desynced. Nvidia experience 3 you were supposed to make this better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Apparently you had to be on the attacking team and win / be present for both maps. Winning as a defender by shutting them out doesn't count, for some incredibly dumb reason. They definitely could have mentioned that at some point, but oh well.

But did both. It was one of those rare games where the Italians actually got to see Empires Edge!