Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Am I so used to typos in Eric Allie-drawn cartoons that I swear this one's a re-run? I think Allie's done that worse/worst thing before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

They sound close enough that people get them confused sometimes. It's going to be another one of those situations where the dictionaries wimp out and go along with it just because people talk that way. :argh:

The major dictionaries people use are descriptive, not prescriptive. They record the language as it's used, not as the author believes it should be used. They're not wimping out, they're acknowledging reality, even if that leads to unfortunate losses of clarity like "literally" not always literally meaning literally.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Taciturn Tactician posted:

The major dictionaries people use are descriptive, not prescriptive. They record the language as it's used, not as the author believes it should be used. They're not wimping out, they're acknowledging reality, even if that leads to unfortunate losses of clarity like "literally" not always literally meaning literally.

Descriptivists are spineless pussies. :doom:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

Enjoy your "thou"s and "ye"s then I guess, but I'm not sure how much of a market there is for a book that doesn't allow you to tell what someone actually means when they use a word like "computer", "monitor", or "mouse".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Good dictionaries will have "usage note" where they tell "this meaning is completely wrong by the way, but a lot of people use it anyway".

prefect posted:

Prescriptivism is good for teaching how language should be spoken; descriptivism is good for explaining how language is actually spoken. That makes descriptivism more useful generally; especially for foreign speakers who stumble upon some weird idiomatic usage that they don't understand.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I just want to be able to smack people who think you don't need to add an "s" to pluralize words ending in "-ist"; is that so bad?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tacodaemon posted:

I just want to be able to smack people who think you don't need to add an "s" to pluralize words ending in "-ist"; is that so bad?

Descriptivists will tell you you're bad. Well, they're the ones who are bad.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

how is that skeleton staying together. come on. not today

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
I'll just leave the best gloss on prescriptive vs. descriptive usage here, although I don't know how well it'll be received in a thread that thinks First Dog on the Moon is too :words:

http://wilson.med.harvard.edu/nb204/AuthorityAndAmericanUsage.pdf

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Volcanic Vents posted:

I'll just leave the best gloss on prescriptive vs. descriptive usage here, although I don't know how well it'll be received in a thread that thinks First Dog on the Moon is too :words:

http://wilson.med.harvard.edu/nb204/AuthorityAndAmericanUsage.pdf

Hey, I follow Bryan A. Garner on Twitter. :)

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Garrison posted:

Somebody tell the Fat lady to shut up! SAD!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hillary fat so what

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Love the shoe.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I love the idea that alt-righters are convinced George Soros is this singular liberal shadowy billionaire, yet ignore the countless shadowy billionaires behind most political issues.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Trogdos! posted:

Garrison horseshit

I thought Jill Stein was thin though.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

If there were a great court of the afterlife, where the gods laid all a persons actions and motivations behind them on the table and argued where you would go as a result, this particular case would be a fascinating one to hear. Castro was one of those people you hear everything about, from virtue to monstrosity... what does such a man deserve, at the end of 90 years in full? Damned if anyone's going to come to a consensus anytime soon.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Deyr fé,
deyja frændr,
deyr sjálfr et sama;
ek veit einn,
at aldri deyr:
dómr um dauðan hvern

Long John Silver never had fear of his enemies when they where alive, he will not start now that they are dead, Jim.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

resurgam40 posted:

If there were a great court of the afterlife, where the gods laid all a persons actions and motivations behind them on the table and argued where you would go as a result, this particular case would be a fascinating one to hear. Castro was one of those people you hear everything about, from virtue to monstrosity... what does such a man deserve, at the end of 90 years in full? Damned if anyone's going to come to a consensus anytime soon.

hah, that has nothing to do with afterlife, all that matters is he was catholic and therefore no true Christian :devil:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nenonen posted:

hah, that has nothing to do with afterlife, all that matters is he was catholic and therefore no true Christian :devil:

Was he even that religious?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

what do stein and soros have in common

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Alhazred posted:

Was he even that religious?

I thought religion and communism weren't really compatible.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ranter posted:

People always surprise me. They have like many pockets and they put stuff in different pockets, and sometimes they manage to put the same uncompatible thing in the same pocket (percepcion dissonance). So everything is possible.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ranter posted:

Recently (well, relatively recently) members of the Russian communist party stood side by side with Orthodox priests at the opening of a statue commemorating the soon-to-be-sainted Ivan the terrible. They gave essentially the exact same speeches.

Cognitive dissonance encompasses greater contradictions than that.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

prefect posted:

Hey, I follow Bryan A. Garner on Twitter. :)

Wow, I'll never say FLAK-sid, but followed, thanks for the hot tip!

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
I'm a little shocked Payne passed on OLD CARS for his Castro obit.

Athiest angel gettin' sassy.

I'm the smiley face on the Debbie Does Dallas VHS.

RAG

Mad Whitey Glad Again

My arms hurt just looking at this.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/798896160194707456

https://twitter.com/james_acton32/status/798899191523188736

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

Names that get automatically surrounded by a triple pair of parentheses on Garrison's browser.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Waitasecond. I don't normally agree with this guy. Something feels wrong.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fuckin lmao at any Trump supporter whining about anyone calling for a recount when Trump himself was going on about rejecting the results before the election. Doubly funny with Trump just tweeting about how he only lost the popular vote because of "illegal votes."

Also, I hope there's a special place in hell for people who unironically parrot "SAD!" (and other Trumpisms)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Oxyclean posted:

Fuckin lmao at any Trump supporter whining about anyone calling for a recount when Trump himself was going on about rejecting the results before the election. Doubly funny with Trump just tweeting about how he only lost the popular vote because of "illegal votes."

Also, Trump's deleted all his tweets from four years ago, when he was saying the Electoral College was fraud and the popular vote is what's important.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Kurtofan posted:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

prefect posted:

Also, Trump's deleted all his tweets from four years ago, when he was saying the Electoral College was fraud and the popular vote is what's important.

The past week or two has been great seeing all these old Trump tweets that are super ironic now.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/474134260149157888

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oxyclean posted:

The past week or two has been great seeing all these old Trump tweets that are super ironic now.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/474134260149157888

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/503316125405700096
This one is my favorite. :suicide:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Man, that is a whole lotta words for that much punchline.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

It amazes – well, not really amazes, seeing how they're hacks – me that wingnuts go balls-out on booga-booga Soros without ever once considering Sheldon Aldelson. For God's sake, he looks like this:

But I guess their shadowy billionaires are good and honorable.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sandpuppy posted:

Mad Whitey Glad Again
Huh, I normally hate the 'totally not a swastika, but you get it' flag symbols people use in movies and comics but I kind of like the design of the MW.

Also, it is December and the Gay Abortions will be upon us soon. I'm going to start work on it eventually. If anyone would like to help judge and count this year please send me a pm.

EDIT: Well, near December. You know the hell I meant.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 28, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Where's Rainbow Dash?

World Famous W posted:

Huh, I normally hate the 'totally not a swastika, but you get it' flag symbols people use in movies and comics but I kind of like the design of the MW.

I'm glad Mad Whitey got a cool logo.

D.N. Nation posted:

It amazes – well, not really amazes, seeing how they're hacks – me that wingnuts go balls-out on booga-booga Soros without ever once considering Sheldon Aldelson. For God's sake, he looks like this:

But I guess their shadowy billionaires are good and honorable.

He doesn't like liberals, so he's "one of the good ones".

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Cat Mattress posted:

Where's Rainbow Dash?

dang it, came to post this

• Locked thread