Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I've never tried to have a game shipped to me on release date because it always seemed like too many things can go wrong and it right arrive on time, as evidenced here. Before the times of crazy preorder bonuses and such I just found a nearby GameStop or Best Buy and was done. Now I go strictly digital because it means I can play it at 22:00 tonight :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
this is the first month in the 3 years I've had prime I've had a problem.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I only have Prime so I can end up with Prime problems to get free months of Prime.

I'm not sure why I have Prime any more when I type it out like that but no matter because the world is ending now that Versus 13 is out.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

zedprime posted:

I only have Prime so I can end up with Prime problems to get free months of Prime.

I'm not sure why I have Prime any more when I type it out like that but no matter because the world is ending now that Versus 13 is out.
The world will end once again in a week when The Last Guardian comes out.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 29, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Final Fantasy 13 Versus is finally released in the year 2016, but at what cost!?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would indeed like to know at what cost. How much did this game cost to make?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I cannot believe I am going to play this game tonight. What a time to be alive.

World of Final Fantasy was really good too.

2016 you killed all the good celebrities and made Trump president, but you gave us two final fantasty's and a new Pokemon so

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Raxivace posted:

The world end once again in a week when The Last Guardian comes out.

Half-Life 3 is the last remaining seal on the apocalypse, Valve shifted company direction away from it to save us.

So, quick question on Lightning Returns structure: should I complete the city questlines in a particular order, or do they all roughly coincide difficulty-wise? I know they've all likely got chunks where it's a good idea to go 'okay let's go do something else in the meantime', so I can't really blitz one while not touching the others, but I want to know if there's a general order I should go for or if it's like Saints Row 2 where it soesn't really matter?

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
My Deluxe copy came in today. Best Buy did good there. Debating booting it up tomorrow because of the inevitable day one patch.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cleretic posted:

So, quick question on Lightning Returns structure: should I complete the city questlines in a particular order, or do they all roughly coincide difficulty-wise? I know they've all likely got chunks where it's a good idea to go 'okay let's go do something else in the meantime', so I can't really blitz one while not touching the others, but I want to know if there's a general order I should go for or if it's like Saints Row 2 where it soesn't really matter?

You can generally do them in any order, but the game expects you to do the Wildlands last (the boss fight there is the only one to not get a buff on Day 7). Luxerion is the one the game wants you to do first, but honestly you're probably better doing Yusnaan or the desert instead.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elentor posted:

I can't wait for the postmortem. Actually, there's probably going to have to be multiple given the sheer size of the project.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Dante Logos posted:

My Deluxe copy came in today. Best Buy did good there. Debating booting it up tomorrow because of the inevitable day one patch.

Day 1 patch is out already.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Remember when it got delayed so the day 1 patch could be on the disk.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The difference being day 1 on Sept 30 is different content from the day 1 patch of November 29.

I mean they can delay the game indefinitely if it can't ever have a patch, if you'd like.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

The Machine posted:

Remember when it got delayed so the day 1 patch could be on the disk.

That was for performance issues that would've really hurt the experience. The new stuff is all nice but the absence of it wouldn't hurt the overall experience that much.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Most of the size of the day 1 patch is adding in the Kingsglaive cutscenes because they literally couldn't fit it on the disk.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Elentor posted:

It's difficult to say since there was a large writedown in 2013 when former CEO Yochi Wada stepped down and the company went on cancellation spree. About $100 million USD worth of game development was written off during their restructuring. A portion of it most likely included Versus XIII when it was cancelled mid-2012 and had its assets folded into FFXV under a new team.

How much did it cost to write off Final Fantasy Versus XIII which had entire sections of game and CGI cutscenes thrown out after six years of development? To put it in perspective, the cancelled Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun game by UK based Climax Studios had its development written off and its assets folded into Nosgoth by Psyonix, similar to the FFXV reboot. At the point, Dead Sun had a vertical slice, a hub world, and a CGI teaser trailer by Visualworks. It was in development for three years and the write off was $16 million. In Versus XIII's case, you had several minutes of CGI created for the game and a team of 20+ people working for six years.

How much did FFXV cost since the reboot in May 2012? It's difficult to say since you're largely dealing with a Japanese cost base along with the development of a new multiplatform game engine specifically for the game. You also have a CGI movie which could be seen as part of the cross media marketing budget for the game. For comparison, Metal Gear Solid 5's development, which involved the creation a new game engine, is said to have cost over $80 million. Director Hajime Tabata said in an interview the development costs were not GTA5 level ($250+ million). I wouldn't be surprised if FF15 is the most expensive Japanese game ever made after FF14 2.0.

The real cost was the opportunity cost of having the Kingdom Hearts 2 team anchored to a doom project for the better part of a decade.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
How many people actually waited for FF 13 Versus? It wasn't really on my radar until 13 came out and was terrible, then I forgot about that for awhile, too.

I don't remember actually thinking "that is a game I would like to play" until the E3 2013 trailer that changed the name.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sunning posted:

The real cost was the opportunity cost of having the Kingdom Hearts 2 team anchored to a doom project for the better part of a decade.
It really makes me wonder how the series could have evolved with KH2FM as a basis instead of all of the Command Deck stuff.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

How many people actually waited for FF 13 Versus? It wasn't really on my radar until 13 came out and was terrible, then I forgot about that for awhile, too.

I don't remember actually thinking "that is a game I would like to play" until the E3 2013 trailer that changed the name.
I got the collector's edition of FF12 when that game first came out (The case still looks rad as hell btw), and it contained a DVD with trailers for FF13, Agito 13, and Vs. 13.

That was back in 2006- I've at least known about the game since then, though how much I've cared about it ebbed and flowed over the years.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everybody likes to point at 15 and the quote about how its an existential threat if it doesn't sell but by most accounting everything has mostly been paid for by the games actually coming out. So the only existential threat is to the cushy director and producer jobs in the Square studio which seem beholden to no project management at all.

How cool would it be if in the future Final Fantasy had to be made like every other video game and not take a decade of Frankensteining failed or changing projects together? This will only happen if you do not buy FF15 though...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Raxivace posted:

I got the collector's edition of FF12 when that game first came out (The case still looks rad as hell btw), and it contained a DVD with trailers for FF13, Agito 13, and Vs. 13.
Yeah, don't forget how long "Agito" took to become Type-0 as long as we're reminiscing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I bought 15 but I also emailed SE telling them to stop being bad at game development.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SE have shipped a good number decent games this year (and a couple of bad ones too) so it seems like development is on track for smaller titles at least, I guess the real test is whether KH3 and FF7R come out in any sort of reasonable time frame.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gologle posted:

How the hell do you forget a name like "Gilgamesh". That's not exactly a common name.

Less forget and more cannot pronounce

Also in Japanese it's Giragumeshu which is pretty hard to say

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I'm thinking, now that the whole FFXIII sub-series has finally had all its remnants wrapped up and can be considered 'done'... where does it land, in the pantheon of great game development gently caress-ups?

Because on the one hand, at least everything came out, and has all been pretty decent if occasionally unpopular because of the name it carried. Versus XIII is not a Duke Nukem Forever by either possible metrics, and even at the XIII series' worst (XIII-2?) it was never dealing with a debacle of Sonic 2006 or even FFXIV 1.0 levels.

But on the other hand, it's been an albatross around S-E's neck for so long. As bad as Sonic 2006 was, Sega could learn from its mistakes and joke about it ten years on, and even XIV 1.0 had A Realm Reborn rise from its ashes. Half-Life 3's never coming out, but Valve sure as gently caress haven't been lying fallow. S-E insisted on putting together a spinoff series even more ambitious than FFVII's (which, keep in mind, was mostly budget titles) before the game was even released, and then didn't know what to do when it wasn't as popular as they expected and spinoff development started falling apart. They've been trying to recover from that choice for a decade now, and have only now managed to reach the point of having cleaned the plate.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Goons I'm playing final fantasy XV, OH MY GOD ITS HAPPENING

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Less forget and more cannot pronounce

Also in Japanese it's Giragumeshu which is pretty hard to say

It's "Girugamesshu" which flows pretty well even in Japanese.

That said shortening long words and giving everything a nickname is pretty much how they do things anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mezzanon posted:

Goons I'm playing final fantasy XV, OH MY GOD ITS HAPPENING

Don't believe Mezzanon's lies!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

So I'm thinking, now that the whole FFXIII sub-series has finally had all its remnants wrapped up and can be considered 'done'... where does it land, in the pantheon of great game development gently caress-ups?

Because on the one hand, at least everything came out, and has all been pretty decent if occasionally unpopular because of the name it carried. Versus XIII is not a Duke Nukem Forever by either possible metrics, and even at the XIII series' worst (XIII-2?) it was never dealing with a debacle of Sonic 2006 or even FFXIV 1.0 levels.

But on the other hand, it's been an albatross around S-E's neck for so long. As bad as Sonic 2006 was, Sega could learn from its mistakes and joke about it ten years on, and even XIV 1.0 had A Realm Reborn rise from its ashes. Half-Life 3's never coming out, but Valve sure as gently caress haven't been lying fallow. S-E insisted on putting together a spinoff series even more ambitious than FFVII's (which, keep in mind, was mostly budget titles) before the game was even released, and then didn't know what to do when it wasn't as popular as they expected and spinoff development started falling apart. They've been trying to recover from that choice for a decade now, and have only now managed to reach the point of having cleaned the plate.

It's pretty low down on that scale. All of the games are perfectly playable and weren't delayed to hell and back. XIII was the biggest misstep and the excuses made by SE execs about why it under-performed just increases its infamy and negative reputation for a time.

But all these years later, XIII's pretty eh to most people I know and this forum at least seems to love LR. Me and some people I know love XIII-2. The hate is dwindling and I suspect in another 5 or so years it will be pretty much gone.

I think how well XV does will have at least some effect on how XIII and its sequels are viewed going forward.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

Don't believe Mezzanon's lies!

I'm captain Mezz VonRonsenburg!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

zedprime posted:

Everybody likes to point at 15 and the quote about how its an existential threat if it doesn't sell but by most accounting everything has mostly been paid for by the games actually coming out. So the only existential threat is to the cushy director and producer jobs in the Square studio which seem beholden to no project management at all.

How cool would it be if in the future Final Fantasy had to be made like every other video game and not take a decade of Frankensteining failed or changing projects together? This will only happen if you do not buy FF15 though...

My hope is that between the original failure of FFXIV and the shambling corpse that was FFXIII Versus, SE has learned a thing or two. Time to let the "rock stars" like Nomura sit poo poo out and the actual project managers to do their thing. Yoshi-P was a godsend for FFXIV, and it sounds like Tabata did wonders for FFXV. I really, really hope they've learned something from that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm sure they won't even dare to bring up the idea of FFXVI til they pump out another one and a half more games for XV anyway. They have another XIV expansion next year, so that'll keep that department busy too.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Levantine posted:

My hope is that between the original failure of FFXIV and the shambling corpse that was FFXIII Versus, SE has learned a thing or two. Time to let the "rock stars" like Nomura sit poo poo out and the actual project managers to do their thing. Yoshi-P was a godsend for FFXIV, and it sounds like Tabata did wonders for FFXV. I really, really hope they've learned something from that.

Given that Nomura is working on Kingdom Hearts and FF7R, it's hard to say.

I don't even begrudge Nomura all that much, since he's responsible for a lot of really positive gaming memories in our time regardless of how some feel about his character designs, but he's another example of a creative who needs actual managers riding his back to ensure he doesn't get lost up his own rear end in a top hat while creating things people enjoy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

fivegears4reverse posted:

Given that Nomura is working on Kingdom Hearts and FF7R, it's hard to say.

I don't even begrudge Nomura all that much, since he's responsible for a lot of really positive gaming memories in our time regardless of how some feel about his character designs, but he's another example of a creative who needs actual managers riding his back to ensure he doesn't get lost up his own rear end in a top hat while creating things people enjoy.

It didn't help Versus/XV that Square was in a mess the entire time development was happening, and it's not like he didn't have projects while Versus was being worked out, I think it's like... 5-6 games that came out that he was helming while Versus was being developed? But yes he absolutely needs manager input, as much as people do take the Les Mis thing out of context (It was clearly a joke) It was a very clear that whatever ideas he had simply weren't feasible, if he even had a full plot. I remember a discussion he had about how "Oh there are no combo attacks, it's all real time and fast and you have to rapidly swap between characters to create stylish chains."

Which sounds cool, but seems incredibly impracticable.

But given they put him in charge of 7R even though he was working on KH3 (and unlike the KH series, his only connection to 7 is the side stuff they've pushed on him, and the the fact he wrote the original story that was adapted into 7) then it doesn't seem likely that Versus was entirely on his head.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I paid 10€ more to switch to a close by retailer to get it on launch day but nope.

Remind me to never rely on online orders for new games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Onmi posted:

as much as people do take the Les Mis thing out of context (It was clearly a joke)

Was this the "franchise spanning 10 or 15 years of releases" thing? Because even if it was originally just a joke, uh, I have some bad news for you :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The White Dragon posted:

Was this the "franchise spanning 10 or 15 years of releases" thing? Because even if it was originally just a joke, uh, I have some bad news for you :v:

Nomura watched Les Mis and, as the story goes after the usual game of telephone, came bursting back into the office saying "Versus XIII will be a musical!".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

With his tie on his head and toilet paper stuck between his butt cheeks and a bottle of whiskey in hand

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

It's pretty low down on that scale. All of the games are perfectly playable and weren't delayed to hell and back. XIII was the biggest misstep and the excuses made by SE execs about why it under-performed just increases its infamy and negative reputation for a time.

But all these years later, XIII's pretty eh to most people I know and this forum at least seems to love LR. Me and some people I know love XIII-2. The hate is dwindling and I suspect in another 5 or so years it will be pretty much gone.

I think how well XV does will have at least some effect on how XIII and its sequels are viewed going forward.
Every Final Fantasy game is the worst so you can only look at the absolutes like project management, of which 13 was one of the worst. Crystal Tools was a pain to work with for a result that is best described as "looks good when not dropping frames." And general design fumbled so badly you kill a man who is resurrected for a cut scene because the cut scene was wrapped who knows how long before the story wrapped. 13 spent what classified as a lifetime in development.

For all the celebration that is worth having that Versus 13 actually released, it was really cancelled. In a good and non-typical decision it was flushed down the toilet like 14 1.0 and to save a buck, the assets and plans were rolled into 15. That's maybe the best indication that they at least know they've been spinning their wheels and are ready to have actual plans in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hahahahaha is that really why Cid Raines comes back in FF13?