Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Well I'm starting destiny. The major thing that kills me about this show was how they had a new cast (and main character) and managed to just throw them away (or turn them into bad guys?) by the end of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Well I'm starting destiny. The major thing that kills me about this show was how they had a new cast (and main character) and managed to just throw them away (or turn them into bad guys?) by the end of it all.

To be honest I don't think that's inherently a flaw so much as badly executed.

"Here is a Gundam kid, thanks to immense tragedy in his past stemming from a previous war he ends up going down the path of evil and believes he is doing the right thing, here is his tragic story" could be very interesting, since normally the traumatized child soldiers in Gundam universally end up as the protagonist or on their side. It is just that Destiny fumbled it hard.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

MonsieurChoc posted:

G-Reco is great and was a breath of fresh air in modern mecha anime. :colbert:

As said I didn't care for it. But I love the G Self mecha. One if the coolest looking Gundams. Up there with the Turn A, Zeta, and the Xi. (Iirc the Xi is piloted by Hathaway and is thus damaged by association. It's gonna make SRW V trying on me. Maybe I can give it to Shinji from Eva or something. )

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

My favorite tidbit about G-Reco is that the G-Arcane never transformed, because Tomino completely forgot that it was a thing it could do.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So do people like Wing now or is it just that AGE and Destiny are considered so much worse?

I dunno, I just think that if a "Worst Gundam Ever" conversation was started a while ago, Wing might have come up. Maybe not here though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who doesn't like Wing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So do people like Wing now or is it just that AGE and Destiny are considered so much worse?

I dunno, I just think that if a "Worst Gundam Ever" conversation was started a while ago, Wing might have come up. Maybe not here though.

Wing is genuinely incredibly bad but in a really charming way in that it's so loving insane that it's kind of hard to hate it.

AGE is bad in a way that is not just awful but rarely enjoyable and frequently actively offensive.

If say G Gundam is an A and then Age is an F and Wing is the kid who failed the test because he turned it into a glitter-covered origami sculpture of a pony.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 28, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wing also has a nostalgia factor for a lot of people of a certain age.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Wing is basically the good bad b movie of Gundam.

Also it has some pretty good music and the villians are some of the most fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is had for a series to be all bad when the villain is voiced by Koyasu.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I never could make it through a full episode of Wing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who doesn't like Wing?

Back in 04 wing was the adtrw gundam whipping boy.

It was always fabulous though.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

ImpAtom posted:

It is had for a series to be all bad when the villain is voiced by Koyasu.

And one of the villains in the English dub is voiced by (Beast Wars) Megatron.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not going to say Wing was a good show

But I'm not going to say I didn't like it

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I would rather watch Wing than a lot of the oft-recited "best" gundam shows.

Wing, IBO, and 0079 I could pretty safely say I can watch forever.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
G Reco as a story about energy distribution and militarization is a bad show. G Reco as a show about ideological lenses and the dangers of needing meaning is pretty good. It depends on if you think Tomino is a genius or a hack.

Either way the art is spectacular.

I like Wing for it's completely played straight but utterly insane melodrama and cool soundtrack. I can't forgive it for the 5 colored robots who are individually bad but never work together trend though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Wing is basically the good bad b movie of Gundam.

Also it has some pretty good music and the villians are some of the most fun.

The best dressed villains.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeanBeansShako posted:

wrong

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who doesn't like Wing?

People who are guilty of wrongthink.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Dear Shako,
Please review more gundam uniforms.

Love,
Some guy who likes to read about fictional fashion.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've never heard much fashion discussion outside of universal praise for OZ'S officer uniforms.

I mean, there was an entire awesome post about why Treize is the classiest motherfucker in the franchise.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I've never heard much fashion discussion outside of universal praise for OZ'S officer uniforms.

I mean, there was an entire awesome post about why Treize is the classiest motherfucker in the franchise.

Perfect post/avatar combo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently the results of a design a Gundam to appear in Build Fighters contest

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Apparently the results of a design a Gundam to appear in Build Fighters contest

:vomarine:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Gunpla... is freedom.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

GimmickMan posted:

Dear Shako,
Please review more gundam uniforms.

Love,
Some guy who likes to read about fictional fashion.

One day I will get around to SEED. One day.

I need more booze to finish G Gundam first. MORE BOOZE.

Well, best dressed villains of the alternate series then. But ZZ fashion is a category in itself. Just like fashion in the Jojo franchise.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I could only find one picture of any of the other designs, and it seems a lot better than the winner

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Tae posted:

Anew died and that kinda sucked

My favorite thing about Anew dying is that in S1, Lasse shoots the beam saber about to kill Tieria, and in S2 Tieria shoots the lance about to kill Setsuna, but for Anew? Setsuna just blows her away with no remorse.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I just sort of picked up the first 2 paid DLC for Gundam Breaker 3 on a whim. Sort of due to how difficult it was to get funds onto the Singapore PS Store when I thought I could just use PayPal.

I've not finished #2 yet, but it's not grabbed me, it uses the existing levels, in fact Misa even says "Oh, it's just the same old levels.." or something. I think It came with the Barbatos 6th Form, Scramble Gundam and Phenex,

Part 3 is kind of fun, so I finished it in the one sitting, you fight with Misa's dad and the other shopping center guys, so a nice change from constantly pulling Misa's rear end out of the fire, and it uses a bunch of new maps, I gather from GB1, although the aesthetic looks totally different. In many ways they seem nicer than a lot of the GB3 content. It also comes with AGE-FX, Gusion (the Brewers version,), Asteroth (asymmetric pre-recondition version) and ReBawoo. So overall much stronger than the previous one I think.

The new builder parts seem pretty cool, there's a crest antenna like the Sazabi or ReBawoo, and the skirt thrusters from Asteroth and Barbatos #6, stuff that really let you change the suit's look. I'll wait and see on the rest, but I enjoyed an evening with it and would like to figure out a nice new design with the parts.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
Toonami just announced they're airing Unicorn:re whatever after Iron Blooded Orphans. So I guess it's time for UC to kill mainstream Gundam in the west again.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

StalkofWheat posted:

Toonami just announced they're airing Unicorn:re whatever after Iron Blooded Orphans. So I guess it's time for UC to kill mainstream Gundam in the west again.

Something tell me a beautifully animated series with tons of cool robots doing spinny sword slashes is gonna do better than a show that was terribly animated for 1979 and has such action packed moments as a robot being pushed off a cliff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StalkofWheat posted:

Unicorn is not particularly likely to kill Gundam considering it was one of the best-received Gundams in recent memory and is insanely well animated.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Of all the recent Gundam things that they could run on Toonami, Unicorn is literally the safest bet.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I'm just saying it requires a lot of UC knowledge that the average toonami viewer isn't gonna have. Should have started with The Origin Movie nights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StalkofWheat posted:

I'm just saying it requires a lot of UC knowledge that the average toonami viewer isn't gonna have. Should have started with The Origin Movie nights.

I will point out that literally the most popular anime of all time is Dragonball Z, a series which began for most people familiar with it about halfway through the story.

Edit: Also it isn't like Unicorn without UC knowledge is less coherent than Gundam Wing

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

StalkofWheat posted:

Some of the background stuff sure, but the story as a whole? Not really.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think people forget that the primary criticism of Unicorn, it just retreads old UC stuff without adding much new, is only a problem if you have already seen MSG, Zeta, and ZZ.

And we can get so wrapped up in how great the story and characters in MSG were, we forget that it looked like this

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd rather they use the OVA than the RE:UC 0096 TV series. It has more recaps than Dragonball. The plot was stretched so thin over seven, hour long episodes, and trying to turn that into a full season is ridiculous to me.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 30, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd rather they use the OVA than the RE:UC 0096 TV series. It has more recaps than Dragonball. The plot was stretched so thin over seven, hour long episodes, and trying to turn that into a full season is ridiculous to me.

I'm hoping that toonami edits those out or something.

But yeah unicorn is kinda hard to follow when they start talking about the "axis shock" but on the other hand it's beautifully animated, has a great soundtrack and some great mech designs. So it may go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

No reason to edit the OVA to fit a tv timeslot when there's already a version that did the job for them. That last OVA episode would especially be real tough for Toonami to cut up into coherent chunks.