Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Daydream headset ia is fun but not exactly innovative. I did feel like a jabroni after my first session since I didn't realize I left the protective film on the lenses. After 10 minutes my xl was ridiculously hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
How bad is the pixel magnification on the XL? It's pretty distracting on the Pixel.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Played a bunch of "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" on the daydream the other night and had a lot of fun. For free + $10 you could do worse.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
If I don't have an Android device, can I get someone an app as a gift or do I have to physically hand them two bucks like a caveman?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

FedEx Mercury posted:

How bad is the pixel magnification on the XL? It's pretty distracting on the Pixel.

I am probably not the most qualified to answer this since you know I didn't notice a blue tint to everything

tuyop posted:

If I don't have an Android device, can I get someone an app as a gift or do I have to physically hand them two bucks like a caveman?

Google play giftcard

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are Android watches useful at all? Is there a thread for Android watches?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Are Android watches useful at all? Is there a thread for Android watches?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714074

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sister picked up a VzW Pixel on Friday, and her husband ordered the XL. Holy crap that camera launches and takes pictures fast, I knew my 6P had a lag but hot drat that thing takes instant HDR pics even. Wish Sprint would get some sort of credit for putting a Pixel on their network but I don't think they are going to do that.

I got my mom a 5X to replace her aging and glitching Nokia Icons which were great phones originally, but Microsoft literally dropped all high end CDMA Windows Phone's and we have gotten sick of waiting for any possible replacements. B&H had 32G Mint 5X's for $239 which was a good deal before this Pixel deal showed up. Ugh.

Though, after enrolling it into the 7.1.1 preview and throwing the pixel camera onto it, it seems to be just fine for speed and function. I can see it slowing down if there were a lot of apps and lower storage room, but for now it seems to be fast enough that it isn't really choking on any task, even the camera seems to work ok. Guess we will see.

Also that Best Buy deal is evil, yet no online shipping and every store in California seems to be out of stock so I don't know what the point of that sale was other then a Black Friday FU.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Insane Totoro posted:

Well God protect me because I bought an Xperia X Compact

And is it okay? It's most likely the phone I'm going to be upgrading to and I'd like to know if it's terrible or not before I take the plunge.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
My girlfriend has a Galaxy S7 that's she's very happy with, coming from an old iPhone. However there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut way of backing up the entire phone. We're used to plugging an iOS device into a computer and backing everything up with iTunes. Is there an Android equivalent of this process?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

terre packet posted:

My girlfriend has a Galaxy S7 that's she's very happy with, coming from an old iPhone. However there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut way of backing up the entire phone. We're used to plugging an iOS device into a computer and backing everything up with iTunes. Is there an Android equivalent of this process?

Nope.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

terre packet posted:

If you root the phone, sure.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Rooted, there is Titanium Backup which continues to be a fantastic backup tool. But unrooted there are limited backup methods that work and it continues to be a WTF problem with Android, especially when they offer plenty of cloud backup solutions for games and whatnot, and yet there are plenty of games that still don't utilize the drat thing.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

terre packet posted:

In this case, Samsung Smart Switch should be able to backup most of the content from the S7.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sister picked up a VzW Pixel on Friday, and her husband ordered the XL. Holy crap that camera launches and takes pictures fast, I knew my 6P had a lag but hot drat that thing takes instant HDR pics even. Wish Sprint would get some sort of credit for putting a Pixel on their network but I don't think they are going to do that.

I got my mom a 5X to replace her aging and glitching Nokia Icons which were great phones originally, but Microsoft literally dropped all high end CDMA Windows Phone's and we have gotten sick of waiting for any possible replacements. B&H had 32G Mint 5X's for $239 which was a good deal before this Pixel deal showed up. Ugh.

Though, after enrolling it into the 7.1.1 preview and throwing the pixel camera onto it, it seems to be just fine for speed and function. I can see it slowing down if there were a lot of apps and lower storage room, but for now it seems to be fast enough that it isn't really choking on any task, even the camera seems to work ok. Guess we will see.

Also that Best Buy deal is evil, yet no online shipping and every store in California seems to be out of stock so I don't know what the point of that sale was other then a Black Friday FU.

Am I reading this right that you put your mom's phone on beta software

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

OH THE HUMANITY

The whole Android OS behaves like beta software anyways depending on what apps you have. The loving Xperia Marshmallow Concept rom was good enough as a daily driver, the Motorola previews were solid, etc etc etc. His mom will literally not know the difference.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Why do you hate your mother? This is not sarcasm.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I just got a Pixel XL and am enjoying it so far. Very fast, nice screen, etc. I got a new number with the new phone and migrated using a cable from my old phone. I'm keeping the old phone until I can confirm I've moved over to my new phone without any issues.

Well, I've got one issue. My old phone no longer received text messages. I swear someone mentioned the same issue in this thread but digging back I can't find it.

I can send and receive messages on my new phone but my old phone won't receive any.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

EdEddnEddy posted:

just go back to xda already

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Any of the earlier releases I would have held off, but the current Beta is pretty much RC and the Visual Voicemail that 7.1.1 adds was worth the jump. I'll be pulling it out of the beta program once the official update drops on what, the 5th?

Android is an eternal beta. Same with Windows(Phone)10 too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PerrineClostermann posted:

If you root the phone, sure.

Unrooted, I get most of it piecemeal. Google Photos, Dropbox, OneDrive, BitTorrent Sync, Flickr all back up photos. Google Play Music for music. Email and calendar are through Google. Most other apps I use are to connect to online services (Awful, feedly) and I just need to tweak a few settings during a clean install. I don't back up SMS, but there's a few decent options. Only thing I don't have a catch all solution to is games, but the ones I play are usually backed up through a Facebook login.

Settings for a few widgets and Nova would be the most work to recreate. I should really manually back those up as its stuff I set up once and never tweak.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RZA Encryption posted:

I got into a huge fight with my dad over this (we only interact by fighting, but that's besides the point). My mom is awful with technology and was always getting viruses on her laptop and having a miserable time of it, wasting my brother's and my time working on her stuff.

She decided to get a smart phone, and asked me what to do. I told her get an iPhone this was during the Galaxy S2 days, when there was no valid mom friend Android choice. since it's something she'll never have to call about, and it will just work. She said "Well, this Samsung Galaxy Aviate or whatever is free, why pay $200 for a iPhone, how different are they?"

(This is after I told her to get an iPad, and she got a chinese knockoff tablet that defaulted itself and my brother had to spend hours on XDA to figure out how to fix it.)

I told her that it's really just going to be more work and waste my time if you get a Samsung garbage phone, so get an iPhone and you won't have to worry about it. Infact, I'll even buy you the iPhone, because it'll save me money long term when I don't have to give you help and support for hours when there's a problem with it.

At this point my dad flipped out "What if your mom calls for help you will just ignore her because she bought the wrong phone? What is wrong with you?"

I tried to explain to him how terrible Android is, and he's like "You have an Android phone, so why tell your mom not to get one?"

"Because dad I hate myself and this phone (Galaxy Nexus) is garbage, just get an iPhone. I'll even pay for it."

And then for the rest of the night he yelled at me about it.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 28, 2016

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
The Android Thread - I hate myself and this phone is garbage

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

She decided to get a smart phone, and asked me what to do. I told her get an iPhone this was during the Galaxy S2 days, when there was no valid mom friend Android choice. since it's something she'll never have to call about, and it will just work. She said "Well, this Samsung Galaxy Aviate or whatever is free, why pay $200 for a iPhone, how different are they?"

(This is after I told her to get an iPad, and she got a chinese knockoff tablet that defaulted itself and my brother had to spend hours on XDA to figure out how to fix it.)
I apply this author's mindset to all technology recommendation requests anymore.
http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...ing-advice.html

quote:

I used to take requests for advice super-seriously. I'd question the friend about their needs, analyze the factors that pertained, apply my deep knowledge of the options available on the market, and tell them what, in my considered judgement, they should purchase.

...Which advice they would promptly completely ignore. Later, when I saw them again, I'd be told with a little laugh that they liked my choice and appreciated my advice, but, well, they went to Best Buy and the kid behind the counter thought that the Amygdala IQ87 was the best bargain, and they liked the look of it, so they bought that instead.

But, thanks anyway.

Eventually what I realized was that no one ever took my advice. As in, never. Not once. It never happened. Nine times out of nine they'd listen to my careful, painstaking analysis that took me hours to compile, and ignore it and go buy something else on a whim.

So that's why I stopped advising friends and relatives about what camera to buy. It's not that I don't want to; it's not that I can't; it's certainly not that I don't want to do them the favor—I'd be more than happy to help; it's just that it's been my observation that they never end up taking my advice anyway.
I might point them toward Wirecutter/Sweethome first but even that advice they usually ignore.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I dunno, still having more issues with my work iPhone than with my 6P (the 30% battery thing is just great)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I apply this author's mindset to all technology recommendation requests anymore.

I might point them toward Wirecutter/Sweethome first but even that advice they usually ignore.

Whenever people ask me anything I always say "iPhone and iPad." If they ask me laptop/pc advice I tell them I use linux and I don't know what's current in the PC/Mac era.

Whey they see me with an Android device I always say:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Because I hate myself and this phone is garbage

This makes people uncomfortable enough to stop asking.

The other day a guy asked me about my phone, (Pixel) so I told him it was a Google phone, and he asked "Samsung or LG?" So I quickly explained to him that it wasn't either, but Google decided to make their own phone. So it's not Android? No, it is, but it's just their own in house brand. Oh, so it's a Samsung but not a Galaxy? I tried to explain again, but at this point I just pretended my wife was calling for me from across the house and I excused myself.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Every day I thank the Lord that my friends and old retired parents basically understand technology. My mom has a better phone then I do

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Y'all know some real winners. I provide family tech support, and maybe it's because I'm in IT but they generally heed advice. poo poo, my mother's pretty tech-ignorant but she ordered an SSD for every computer in her house when I explained how mine has sped things up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

On the subject of giving advice or god forbid, tech support, the best decision I ever made was switching to Mac and telling people that I know nothing about Windows past XP. Sure, their Windows computers still become completely crytolockered once a month, but now that's Best Buy's problem and not mine.

When it comes to phones and tablets I just say iPhone/iPad and if they ask for help I can tell them (honestly) that I have no idea how iOS works.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Y'all know some real winners. I provide family tech support, and maybe it's because I'm in IT but they generally heed advice. poo poo, my mother's pretty tech-ignorant but she ordered an SSD for every computer in her house when I explained how mine has sped things up.

I pretty much hammered it into my parents that if they ask me for advice and then don't follow it, I'm going to do "best-effort" (read: least effort) support for it when it fails. Whereas when I recommend specific stuff it's generally because I know it and can fix it for them easily.

They're also very happy sticking with iPhones because of a comment I made about Android v iOS over a decade ago, which is fine by me. Especially since I actually have no idea how to support iOS anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, I'm going to return my Moto G4 Play to Amazon. It's not because there's anything wrong with the phone (quite to the contrary) but I just snagged a Moto Z Droid with the JBL speaker mod and the extended battery mod for the same price from best buy.

Figure if nothing else, it will make a good Daydream device since it's the same size and resolution as the Pixel XL. The speakers with kickstand will also make a pretty nice portable TV around the house.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Isn't that scenario the definition of an "askhole"?

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

CLAM DOWN posted:

The back is the best place for the fingerprint sensor imo, I can't stand the front ones like on Samsungs

Yeah it's one of those personal preferences everyone has. I often lay my phone on a desk - it's less conspicuous in certain situations than sitting there clutching it. And whilst probably the ultimate lazy first world problem, picking it up off the desk to scan my finger is a pain in the arse.

Melraidin posted:

Just got my Oneplus 3T yesterday. It's a bigger phone than I'm used to, coming from a Nexus 5, but manageable. Everything seems to perform well. Haven't tested the camera much but so far it seems great. I put the curved glass screen protector on and one of the Oneplus cases because I wanted something less slippery than the metal back.

Screen on time's at three hours, phone's at 62 % battery, claiming one day, 14 hours left.

Overall very happy with the phone, would highly recommend given 30 hours ownership.

Thanks for the update!
I'm using a 6P right now... it's bigger than I'd like. The 3T looks to be too, but at least it's a fraction smaller.

Great to hear you're happy with it. Mine just shipped today. I got cold feet and hit cancel, but an hour later it shipped anyway. I was pondering whether to receive it or turn it away for a refund as in paper specs it's an improvement over the 6P but in many other ways (camera, screen, speaker) it's a downgrade and the general consensus of paying about £100-200 (after selling the 6P second hand and factoring in the case) to move from 6P to 3T seems to be "are you out of your tiny little mind, what the gently caress are you thinking?"
Either way though I could've done with an upgrade as I made the mistake of getting the 32GB 6P and am really struggling for space all the time. I decided, as one of their bundles says, "go big or go home" and plumped for 128GB. So that might help.

SOT on my 6P was 1 hour 55 with 15% left earlier haha, I do have way too many notifications on though.

So is the screen okay? I've seen a few grumblings about the text clarity with the pentile subpixel arrangement at 1080p, but am not sure if it's just nerdwhinge about things no one will notice in the real world.
Also side by side camera comparisons I saw looked.... not so good... (even compared to the Moto G) but I have a feeling this is software. That it can save in RAW is a major saviour there.

===
I'm trying to promise myself not to keep chopping and changing and just stick to something for 2 years this time. If I keep this, I think I'll promise it for Android but if it turns out bad there's no guarantee I won't sod off back to iPhones - they're limited, but consistent. I've toyed with re-buying an iPhone 6 more than once (they're probably good for another year or two and can be had for a reasonable price), only stopped by the fact that's what I started with when switching to Android and it'd make all the money wasting hopping around Android phones feel worse :shrug:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just got my pixel, and one thing that i an missing is that my old moto had a Google now widget that would include things like weather, some scores etc. Somehow, i can't find a similar one in the pixel. Is there a 4x3 or similar widget that gets the now feed on the pixel?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Wouldn't that just be the Google widget in the widget menu? :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This one?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Does the pixel have always-on OK Google detection? Even with the screen off?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yes, it does.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

AlexF posted:

Wouldn't that just be the Google widget in the widget menu? :)

Figured out what happened. I used the switch to move stuff from my old moto X, and the moto X used the google now launcher, which is incompatible with the pixel, so it just went away. I had to install the pixel launcher, and that one had the widget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

fondue posted:

I just got a Pixel XL and am enjoying it so far. Very fast, nice screen, etc. I got a new number with the new phone and migrated using a cable from my old phone. I'm keeping the old phone until I can confirm I've moved over to my new phone without any issues.

Well, I've got one issue. My old phone no longer received text messages. I swear someone mentioned the same issue in this thread but digging back I can't find it.

I can send and receive messages on my new phone but my old phone won't receive any.

Solved own problem; sms was just slow.