Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah after the early game your only valid rivals are likely to be larger countries that you may not want to be rivalled with, and like Elman said they dont mean poo poo if you cant beat them or rivalling them doesnt give you the extra leverage to ally a larger power that will keep you safe. I learned this the hard way in one of my (many) aborted Mali games.

edit: speaking of it, in one of my Mali restarts, 2 province country Kong had me rivalled and I could rival them back, but in every other restart we cannot be rivals - what gives? Do smaller countries get the option of rivalling larger neighbors and in that one example they took that option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Having a country rivaled gives you up to +20 relations with everyone else who has the same rival, which is enough to get you a lot of alliances early on in the game when penalties like army size or wrong religion might be dragging you just below the threshold for an alliance.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Been playing a multiplayer game with a friend of mine for the last two weeks, and now things are looking to like they'll come down to a massive showdown. He's been playing Brandenburg->Prussia and I'm playing France. There's a few peculiarities in this game such as Austria deathspiraling to the point of oblivion and most of Castille and Aragon being conquered by Morocco which formed Andalucia, Mali also was a Great Power for a while until I tore them apart (they hadn't really taken many military ideas and were simply unable to stand up to my armies even though they outnumbered me locally) to grab the West African coast. It's now 1754, Prussia dominates the Baltic and southern Scandinavia and also basically stole Scotland's North American colony about 50 years ago (they were about the size of the Thirteen Colonies), they have a force limit of 470 and field an army of about 450,000 men who have 136% discipline and very high morale. Prussian monarchy, ideas and events are pretty insane. However I just triggered the revolution and increased my force limit to 580, I've also calculated that theoretically I could field about 900,000 men for the same cost as my old pre-revolution army (420,000 men). The next 80 years (EU4 goes to 1835 now right?) look to be pretty hectic.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If you're first ranked great power (which is trivial to get as long as you picked exploration), maxing out privateers with just 2 of your rivals (which will also be trivial because of all the force limit from exploration) will keep you permanently above 50 power projection.

You don't need to be able to humiliate them anymore for rivals to have a huge amount of value.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Randarkman posted:

Been playing a multiplayer game with a friend of mine for the last two weeks, and now things are looking to like they'll come down to a massive showdown. He's been playing Brandenburg->Prussia and I'm playing France. There's a few peculiarities in this game such as Austria deathspiraling to the point of oblivion and most of Castille and Aragon being conquered by Morocco which formed Andalucia, Mali also was a Great Power for a while until I tore them apart (they hadn't really taken many military ideas and were simply unable to stand up to my armies even though they outnumbered me locally) to grab the West African coast. It's now 1754, Prussia dominates the Baltic and southern Scandinavia and also basically stole Scotland's North American colony about 50 years ago (they were about the size of the Thirteen Colonies), they have a force limit of 470 and field an army of about 450,000 men who have 136% discipline and very high morale. Prussian monarchy, ideas and events are pretty insane. However I just triggered the revolution and increased my force limit to 580, I've also calculated that theoretically I could field about 900,000 men for the same cost as my old pre-revolution army (420,000 men). The next 80 years (EU4 goes to 1835 now right?) look to be pretty hectic.

January 1st, 1821.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

January 1st, 1821.

Huh, must have imagined reading that its 1835 now then. Anyway, blood will flow.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vic II starts in 1835.

Anyone done a serious Russia 'conquer Europe' type game lately? Thinking it's time to go get Mare Nostrum, and I'd rather do it with Muscovy than Byzantium or Orthomans or something. Curious on the opinion of Religious vs. Admin for a first idea pick; Religious CB is awesome, as is coring cost reductions, but I could probably stand to pick either one up fourth. The real key is going to beating Poland ASAP, not sure how I'm going to swing that one yet, especially with Sweden taking longer to pop into independence now; maybe just ally Denmark?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
I picked up the last couple expansions in the sale and tried to play some EU4 for the first time in a long time.

After a few restarts to figure out the new things like estates, I got a really good start (for my skill level) as Münster on Ironman, getting enough land to form Westphalia by 1481.

Then EU4 popped up an error that it couldn't back up my save, which seems to be a failsafe when the save file is 0 bytes...

So now that game is dead and I don't really feel like trying again unless someone knows how to prevent that happening again.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I also lost my best ever Ironman Sweden run in the early 1600s. Same issue. Super disappointing

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've been thinking of taking advantage of the sale to finally buy this game, but I can't really figure out a lot of things about it, How different is it from EU3?

Also, I can't make heads or tails out of the whole DLC situation, I was going to get the "Extreme Edition" until I realized all it has a unit pack and a music pack and two other DLCs that aren't really explained anywhere on the store page, and there are some important-looking DLCs like Mare Nostrum, Cossacks, and American Dream that aren't in the thread OP.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Interesting twist in my Muscovy game: Poland never PU'd Lithuania, only allied, and then that alliance was broken after they lost a war, leaving each at the mercy of their foes. Poland was quickly partitioned by Hungary and the Teutonic Order leaving only a few provinces. Then the Lithuanian ruler died and a succession war broke out, which I won handily, because Poland is powerless and Lithuania has no friends. So the bottom line is, it's now 1493 and I'm leading a PU with Lithuania. I'm not trying to conquer Europe but I just might end up doing it anyway.

All this reminds me that I don't really understand succession wars at all. The CB was triggered because Poland was going to gain a PU with Lithuania -- that much I understand. I got the option to declare war because I'm a Lithuanian rival, I assume? And then I couldn't find a peace term that said the PU between Poland and Lithuania would be disbanded, but I did find one that formed a PU between Lithuania and me.

What if I'd just wanted to prevent the Polish-Lithuanian PU without taking the throne for myself? Where's that option? I mean, I'm happy with the way things turned out, but I was surprised to find a peace option for "gain a PU with this country" when I don't have any real claim to it. The whole thing was almost ... too easy.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

ultra-short DLC guide

Art of War - the most essential dlc
Common Sense - also essential dlc
Rights of Man - a lot of great content, highly reccomend picking it up but you could play without it, critical for playing as Coptic, Fetishist, and I think to a lesser extent Ottomans
The Cossacks - A lot of content in this one too but only critical for steppe nomads
Conquest of Paradise - only critical for playing in the New World
El Dorado - only critical for playing South/Central America
Mare Nostrum - very useful for playing any large naval power, not critical dlc
Res Publica - only critical for playing republics
Wealth of Nations - a lot of good features for naval powers, trade republics, and Hindu nations

there are packs like American Dream or Purple Phoenix that adds a handful of flavor events to countries ingame but most of the rest of the DLC are additional songpacks, unit models (cosmetic), and the like

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've been thinking of taking advantage of the sale to finally buy this game, but I can't really figure out a lot of things about it, How different is it from EU3?

in every way

vanilla is totally playable without any DLC but

Art of War, Common Sense and Res Publica all have features that I definitely wouldn't want to play without

Cossacks and Rights of Man have important stuff too but you can probably live without them

The rest of the major DLC (Conquest of Paradise, Wealth of Nations, El Dorado, Mare Nostrum) are more for specific features, like e.g. Mesoamerican nations. There's a page on the wiki with pretty succinct feature breakdowns for them if you wanna take a look.

Cosmetic DLC is good if you're into that, pretty self explanatory for what it has, pick and choose at your leisure just like other Paradox games. Only other thing I'd recommend is the Star and Crescent pack in the Digital Extreme edition, it has stuff you'll notice if you play a Muslim team.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Someone remind me how the religious wars work. I am Burgundy and France is the emperor. I am not in a religious league, but I am protestant. If I declare on France for a conquest CB it shows all their religious league pals coming along. What if I declare war on someone else in the HRE and France gets a call in, will they call in the religious league as well?

Mechanical Ape posted:

All this reminds me that I don't really understand succession wars at all. The CB was triggered because Poland was going to gain a PU with Lithuania -- that much I understand. I got the option to declare war because I'm a Lithuanian rival, I assume? And then I couldn't find a peace term that said the PU between Poland and Lithuania would be disbanded, but I did find one that formed a PU between Lithuania and me.

quote:

When a country falls into a personal union under another country in such a manner, the game will identify another country among all countries that share the same dynasty, have rivaled the new senior partner, or have a royal marriage with either the new senior partner or the new junior partner. They will receive an event where they can either accept or decline to enter a succession war over the new junior partner. If no country is willing to contest the personal union, the target country will fall under a personal union of the new senior partner peacefully. If a succession war ensues, the attacker, if successful, can enforce a union over the junior partner, or demand that the senior partner release the target country.

It is a bit weird, but PUs are fairly rare. It would probably be worse if you couldn't contest it, but I agree an option just to stop it would be nice.

edit: Just got an uncontested PU over mega-austria, woohoo.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 28, 2016

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Koramei posted:

If you're first ranked great power (which is trivial to get as long as you picked exploration), maxing out privateers with just 2 of your rivals (which will also be trivial because of all the force limit from exploration) will keep you permanently above 50 power projection.

You don't need to be able to humiliate them anymore for rivals to have a huge amount of value.

I'm still too broke to buy Rights of Man so I'm still without Great Powers, unfortunately. I'll keep that in mind for when I do finally get it, though.

I don't think there's a way I can really make this mistake work out well for me. I'm just going to remove one or two of my rivals and hope I can salvage relations with them to get them to ally me against the other(s). That seems like my wisest course of action right now. Luckily I'm still mostly beneath their notice so while I can rival them they've not returned the favor.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Tsyni posted:

When a country falls into a personal union under another country in such a manner, the game will identify another country among all countries that share the same dynasty, have rivaled the new senior partner, or have a royal marriage with either the new senior partner or the new junior partner. They will receive an event where they can either accept or decline to enter a succession war over the new junior partner. If no country is willing to contest the personal union, the target country will fall under a personal union of the new senior partner peacefully. If a succession war ensues, the attacker, if successful, can enforce a union over the junior partner, or demand that the senior partner release the target country.

Huh. I'm pretty sure that Poland was the proposed senior partner, and that I was rivaled to Lithuania and not Poland. At any rate, I can definitely say that I'm now PU'd with Lithuania.

And I missed seeing an option for Poland to release Lithuania, only one to set up a PU of my own. Well, anyway, it all worked out better than I expected, and for zero risk since Lithuania was such a pushover!

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Mechanical Ape posted:

Huh. I'm pretty sure that Poland was the proposed senior partner, and that I was rivaled to Lithuania and not Poland. At any rate, I can definitely say that I'm now PU'd with Lithuania.

And I missed seeing an option for Poland to release Lithuania, only one to set up a PU of my own. Well, anyway, it all worked out better than I expected, and for zero risk since Lithuania was such a pushover!

You can force an end to personal unions from the same tab in the treaty screen that lets you force vassals to be released.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thanks for the help. I guess now the only question I have left is whether Steam will have a better sale come winter.

But I guess that's more the rational part of my brain that wants to save money and not have another timesink videogame.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

Thanks for the help. I guess now the only question I have left is whether Steam will have a better sale come winter.

But I guess that's more the rational part of my brain that wants to save money and not have another timesink videogame.

Timesink? nah man, it's cool, this game won't devour your entire life

(I've been playing my otto game for 20.1 hours according to steam and I'm 55 years in :frogbon:)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

SlothfulCobra posted:

HIghly doubt it, Paradox has been capping sales at 66% for like a year now. Hold off on Rights of Man, but for the rest this is as good as it's gonna get for a long time I expect.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mechanical Ape posted:

It's in the Annul Treaties tab I think, possibly the Cancel Vassal one. But there certainly is an option to make them release lesser partners, and in fact it does not require the conflict to be a succession war.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Are centers of reformation limited to appear in Europe only? I'm playing a custom American catholic nation and I changed to protestant as soon as it appeared but I didn't get a center.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
In the patchnotes it says that the "- AI no longer cheats with fort maintenance." is this referring to the free coastal forts? Ottomans were loving insane to deal with because of this.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

How do you deal with carpet sieging AIs now that fortress are worthless? I try to block chokepoints and build fort walls here and there but it's still ridiculously annoying against someone like Russia. I wish there was an "auto-defend territory" option for enemy troops just like there is one for rebels, for those times the war's all but won but you're still forced to micro endlessly cause there's a bunch of assholes carpet sieging and kiting you all around India.

"Russia is making gains" my rear end :arghfist:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Elman posted:

How do you deal with carpet sieging AIs now that fortress are worthless? I try to block chokepoints and build fort walls here and there but it's still ridiculously annoying against someone like Russia. I wish there was an "auto-defend territory" option for enemy troops just like there is one for rebels, for those times the war's all but won but you're still forced to micro endlessly cause there's a bunch of assholes carpet sieging and kiting you all around India.

What makes you say fortresses are worthless?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

awesmoe posted:

What makes you say fortresses are worthless?

They're definitely good in small territories or chokepoints but if you're blobbing you can't just defend all of your territory with them. And when your land is massive (happened to me in this Ottoman run and my Aztec run) the AI is just gonna ignore the forts and carpet siege everything else.

If you watch people powergaming and world conquests and stuff you'll see everyone has basically no forts because the maintenance costs just aren't worth the benefits. They definitely work in less blobby play though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Elman posted:

They're definitely good in small territories or chokepoints but if you're blobbing you can't just defend all of your territory with them. And when your land is massive (happened to me in this Ottoman run and my Aztec run) the AI is just gonna ignore the forts and carpet siege everything else.

If you watch people powergaming and world conquests and stuff you'll see everyone has basically no forts because the maintenance costs just aren't worth the benefits. They definitely work in less blobby play though.

In giant blob runs I find it helps to have a couple of mega-marches. Set one or two of them to defensive and they should just wander your territory destroying those jerks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tsyni posted:

In giant blob runs I find it helps to have a couple of mega-marches. Set one or two of them to defensive and they should just wander your territory destroying those jerks.

Yeah, I love having vassals just to have some automatic troops doing poo poo like that while I focus on the big stuff. They'll even do annoying naval landings at times too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

YouTuber posted:

In the patchnotes it says that the "- AI no longer cheats with fort maintenance." is this referring to the free coastal forts? Ottomans were loving insane to deal with because of this.

It means they now pay maintenance on border forts. Coastal forts were never actually free for the AI so far as I know.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

It means they now pay maintenance on border forts. Coastal forts were never actually free for the AI so far as I know.

Coastal forts were considered border forts, IIRC.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Personal Unions are greatly simplified from how they were historically so just imagine how much more dumb and complicated they were in real life.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elman posted:

I would love for there to be more automation when it comes to managing your military. It gets really cumbersome in the mid to late game. Just give me the option to give control of my armies over to the AI. I don't care if the AI is stupid when I have a million dudes to throw at problems, just don't make me control every single one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fister Roboto posted:

I would love for there to be more automation when it comes to managing your military. It gets really cumbersome in the mid to late game. Just give me the option to give control of my armies over to the AI. I don't care if the AI is stupid when I have a million dudes to throw at problems, just don't make me control every single one.

But first you need to set the order of battle and define theaters...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

I will pay :20bux: for this. Its why I never get to the late game.

Baronjutter posted:

But first you need to set the order of battle and define theaters...
:suicide: I would still pay.

edit: gently caress - I started a game on my laptop by launching the game through the launcher rather than through steam - anyone know if I can still earn achievements this way? I finally got another good start going as Mali and i noticed the little Trophy thing on the top right-hand side of my screen was greyed out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 29, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

This poo poo is really fuckin annoying

Why is the game version a calculation? Shouldn't it just be a tiny bit of data in some file? Or if it does have to be a calculation, why can't it be done during the load screen so I can actually launch my game once the game has launched?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 29, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Wafflecopper posted:

This poo poo is really fuckin annoying

Why is the game version a calculation? Shouldn't it just be a tiny bit of data in some file? Or if it does have to be a calculation, why can't it be done during the load screen so I can actually launch my game once the game has launched?

Never seen this before. Are you doing cloud or local saves?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i saw it sometime around updating to the current version but thinking about it it may have been when i downgraded to continue my japan ironman. local saves only

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Local. It only started happening in the last couple of versions. I've always done local.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I see that message all the time. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah when you try to start a game up too quickly after launching, same with the button being greyed out and poo poo. It's kind of annoying I guess but nothing compared to having the entire program relaunch when you try to back out to the main menu.

• Locked thread