Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Plan Z posted:

Or for another example, the case of "Death Traps." Despite Shermans having an above-average crew safety record for tanks in the war, it gets the reputation for getting knocked out a lot, partly due to there being plenty of survivors to tell the tale of a combat loss.

Literally the reason Sheridans were popular in 'nam. In Pattons, the crews survived to talk about how horrific getting hit with an RPG was. In a Sheridan they just died, so only people who had nothing go wrong were telling stories about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

The second you started listing things I knew this was going to show up. Simultaneously so innocuous and so dangerous a change, it truly is the greatest teaching case study of all.

And for anyone who didn't study Engineering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

My parents were at that party; my dad was about 30 feet away from the walkway when it crashed down and actually got hit by some debris (he wasn't hurt). My mom was about 6 months pregnant with me at the time and had been on one of the walkways about 30 minutes beforehand so that's how close I was to never existing.

Also my ex girlfriend's dad was really close with the guy who was in charge of the rescue efforts; I got to meet him a few years ago. I was fairly recently out of my last stint in Iraq and I'd been through a mass casualty even there so our conversation kind of naturally trended that direction. Needless to say it was one of the more morbid and also interesting conversations I've ever had.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

spectralent posted:

Literally the reason Sheridans were popular in 'nam. In Pattons, the crews survived to talk about how horrific getting hit with an RPG was. In a Sheridan they just died, so only people who had nothing go wrong were telling stories about them.

Popular how? Aren't you trained prior to deployment?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm guessing getting shot with an RPG whilst inside the tank is not part of that training.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I'm guessing getting shot with an RPG whilst inside the tank is not part of that training.

And how does that help the deathtrap become popular among... I don't know who?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nenonen posted:

And how does that help the deathtrap become popular among... I don't know who?

Because every ride you have in it, that you can talk about, it doesn't explode when hit by firepower. However the times when it does get hit by firepower it detonates, meaning that there is no-one left to tell people how crappy it is.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Because every ride you have in it, that you can talk about, it doesn't explode when hit by firepower. However the times when it does get hit by firepower it detonates, meaning that there is no-one left to tell people how crappy it is.

:negative:

WHAT DOES IT MATTER you are told to drive a jeep, you drive a jeep. You don't get to drive a Sheridan just because you think it's more cool.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Vehicles that have surviving crews have people walking around talking about how horrible it was to be in a flaming vehicle of that design, about how the armor failed them, about how it was almost impossible to get out the hatch before cooking to death, about how the dead commander prevented the driver from climbing out so he burned to death, etc. That can help a vehicle get a reputation as a death trap.

"Popular" just means "thought well of by other people" - it doesn't imply that anyone has any choice in what they're riding in.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Nenonen posted:

:negative:

WHAT DOES IT MATTER you are told to drive a jeep, you drive a jeep. You don't get to drive a Sheridan just because you think it's more cool.

Is that how it is in the Finnish army? That sounds awful.

I think they just mean popular in terms of reputation, not in terms of actual use.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I just fail to see the use of such metric. Automatic weapons were popular in WW2, but unless you were issued one then what would you do? Ditch your boltlock rifle? Or go back to basic training and wish better luck?

Also I would like to see some poll that shows Sheridan being popular.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Yes, why would anyone interested in military history care if soldiers liked a thing or not?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Nenonen posted:

I just fail to see the use of such metric. Automatic weapons were popular in WW2, but unless you were issued one then what would you do? Ditch your boltlock rifle? Or go back to basic training and wish better luck?

It's Wikipedia, but:

quote:

Like the M50 Ontos anti-tank vehicle, the battle reports from the troops were sometimes glowing, while the reports higher up the chain of command were often negative. This was largely due to the high casualty rate of both Sheridans and their crews as mines and rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) that would only damage an M48 Patton tank, would destroy the Sheridan and kill or wound most, if not all, of its crew.[12]

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Sort of related: in a collection of Korean War operational research reports I read there was a note about how there was an opinion that recoilless rifles kicked up too much dust with the backblast and revealed the shooter's position, resulting in the rifles not being used. Upon further questioning it turned out that the only soldiers who thought that were from units where the recoilless rifles were never used.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ensign Expendable posted:

Sort of related: in a collection of Korean War operational research reports I read there was a note about how there was an opinion that recoilless rifles kicked up too much dust with the backblast and revealed the shooter's position, resulting in the rifles not being used. Upon further questioning it turned out that the only soldiers who thought that were from units where the recoilless rifles were never used.

Lol it's like the blood groove myth.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nenonen posted:

If you're told to drive a jeep, that just means you have to collect 5 roadkill ribbons, then you unlock your Tank.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

The second you started listing things I knew this was going to show up. Simultaneously so innocuous and so dangerous a change, it truly is the greatest teaching case study of all.

And for anyone who didn't study Engineering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

Somehow, the most terrifying part of this to me was the thought of being someone found by rescuers, only to be told "I'm sorry, but you're going to die" and given morphine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

spectralent posted:

It's Wikipedia, but:

Well that makes sense. Apologies for causing a derail. :shobon: I got hung on the popularity bit, not connecting the dots.

agreed, all of the vehicles that you named other than Patton were well suited for the theater, and Gavin had versatility beyond imagination
vvv

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 29, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Nenonen posted:

It was situationally well-liked. It could go places Pattons couldn't which meant yay fire support and cover, and a 152mm cannon and two MGs beats the hell out of a Gavin with a machine gun. Same deal with the Ontos or Duster in Vietnam. A light vehicle with good firepower where there normally was nothing better or at all is appreciated.

But yeah, Sheridan crews pretty much universally hated the godforsaken thing.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Hey, I am currently reading through "The Big Book of X Bombers and X Fighters" by Steve Pace. It had a lot of recommendations for being thorough if a little stiffly written, and so far it's impressive. If you're looking for what's basically a deadpan recounting of the USAAF/USAF making their way into the jet age (turns out Bell was slapping together jet fighter airframes on a prototype basis before D-Day and Lockheed was trying to make a flying wing happen since the 40s) it's pretty good and full of spec sheets and illustrations. I have the Kindle edition which I'm rapidly finding does not do the work justice.

But hey, history of early (US specific) jet fighters/bombers. I'm just getting into the F-84 stuff so I'm fairly early.

Thanks for this post, the hardcover was on special $25 on Amazon, ordered.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Cyrano4747 posted:

Survivor bias is a very real issue in history. All those cool stories we have come from the people who e everything went right for. This is something I hammer on when I teach the Holocaust. A lot of survivor stories sound ludicrously implausible. Someone survives the round up because they're walking home on a different route than they do every day, then the only farmer in Poland who is ok with Jews hides them for a few months, then they get captured and get slotted for a work camp arbitrarily, then they get assigned to a good work detail, them they get sick at precisely the right time to miss out on the death march when the Red Army gets too close - any earlier and they would have ended up in the ovens.

I knew an old teacher who survived the roundup of Jews in Budapest because, IIRC, he had come down with scarlet fever and was quarantined. I guess the Nazis and the Hungarian fascists in charge of the part of Budapest where he lived didn't give enough of a gently caress about the Final Solution to risk getting really drat sick for the sake of one teenager.

Well What Now fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 29, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Plan Z posted:

Gs beats the hell out of a Gavin

Dont call it that.

Don't let him win.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Dont call it that.

Don't let him win.

Okay. There needs to be a term that describes "ironic" behavior turning around on you. Call it the 4chan Constant or something.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Plan Z posted:

Okay. There needs to be a term that describes "ironic" behavior turning around on you. Call it the 4chan Constant or something.

Honestly I'd call it ironic inevitability.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

The Gavin is the 2nd coolest armored vehicle in history, after the Longstreet.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Well What Now posted:

I knew an old teacher who survived the roundup of Jews in Budapest because, IIRC, he had come down with scarlet fever and was quarantined. I guess the Nazis and the Hungarian fascists in charge of the part of Budapest where he lived didn't give enough of a gently caress about the Final Solution to risk getting really drat sick for the sake of one teenager.

I could have sworn I heard a story once about some doctors saving a Jewish community by faking a TB outbreak.

(And I just found out it's impossible to get a useful result from google when your search terms include both "holocaust" and "fake.")

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was Typhus.

\/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Lazowski

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 29, 2016

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Saint Celestine posted:

I thought it was Typhus.

That does ring a bell now that you say it.

e:/\Thanks!

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 29, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LostCosmonaut posted:

I've actually started to forget sometimes that it's not really called a Gavin.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...kFJaFdoWDJVT253

Can anyone translate Czech for me?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

I've actually started to forget sometimes that it's not really called a Gavin.

It's called a Track, at least that's what the guys in my dad's unit called it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FAUXTON posted:

Hey, I am currently reading through "The Big Book of X Bombers and X Fighters" by Steve Pace. It had a lot of recommendations for being thorough if a little stiffly written, and so far it's impressive. If you're looking for what's basically a deadpan recounting of the USAAF/USAF making their way into the jet age (turns out Bell was slapping together jet fighter airframes on a prototype basis before D-Day and Lockheed was trying to make a flying wing happen since the 40s) it's pretty good and full of spec sheets and illustrations. I have the Kindle edition which I'm rapidly finding does not do the work justice.

But hey, history of early (US specific) jet fighters/bombers. I'm just getting into the F-84 stuff so I'm fairly early.

The Flapjack is still one of the ugliest planes in history, imo.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

LostCosmonaut posted:

I dunno, maybe after the T-34 "Pyotr"

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Hi thread.

In two weeks I'm going to Berlin for four days.
Can anyone recommend any interesting historical stuff to see in and around Berlin?

Already been to the historical museum, and I'm probably going to Potsdam.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Falukorv posted:

Already been to the historical museum, and I'm probably going to Potsdam.

While there, appreciate the fact that backwards it's Mad Stop.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
honestly, apart from the museums where there is a 3 hour line to get in every day, the museums there disappointed me

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Theres a great little Eastern Berlin museum near the river thats quite small but worth a look in. http://www.ddr-museum.de/en, the Palace of tears is less good but still not bad and covers a similar topic, http://www.visitberlin.de/en/spot/traenenpalast-palace-of-tears. Though i have a cold war hardon so this may color my view slightly, i find life behind the iron curtain perhaps unduly fascinating.

The museum of technology is at the end of one of the metro lines and its also quite good, http://www.sdtb.de/Englisch.55.0.html.

I havent been to Topography of Terror but i understand from a mate who just got back that its good if harrowing, http://www.topographie.de/en/exhibitions/.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Polyakov posted:

Theres a great little Eastern Berlin museum near the river thats quite small but worth a look in. http://www.ddr-museum.de/en, the Palace of tears is less good but still not bad and covers a similar topic, http://www.visitberlin.de/en/spot/traenenpalast-palace-of-tears. Though i have a cold war hardon so this may color my view slightly, i find life behind the iron curtain perhaps unduly fascinating.

The museum of technology is at the end of one of the metro lines and its also quite good, http://www.sdtb.de/Englisch.55.0.html.

I havent been to Topography of Terror but i understand from a mate who just got back that its good if harrowing, http://www.topographie.de/en/exhibitions/.

Aw man, I love/hate that museum, their simulation of getting disappeared into a jail cell has stuck with me ever since.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Polyakov posted:

Thanks!
I'll look it up, I've been to to the topography of terror and DDR museum already.

Is the Russian-German museum in karlshorst worth a visit?

What about historical towns in the state? Havelberg has an awesome cathedral, and Brandenburg an der Havel seems nice, but are they worth the trip in this case?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tias posted:

Aw man, I love/hate that museum, their simulation of getting disappeared into a jail cell has stuck with me ever since.

The Imperial War Museum has something similar for their holocaust exhibit: for the train section you're sort of herded into a room the shape of a small train car, there are no lights so you have to get close and squint to read anything and there's a horrible claustrophobic sense of dread. I highly recommend it if anyone is in London, it was phenomenal and also soul wrenching all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CoolCab posted:

The Imperial War Museum has something similar for their holocaust exhibit: for the train section you're sort of herded into a room the shape of a small train car, there are no lights so you have to get close and squint to read anything and there's a horrible claustrophobic sense of dread. I highly recommend it if anyone is in London, it was phenomenal and also soul wrenching all at once.

alternatively, simply board a regular picadilly line service