Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

dokmo posted:

Anybody who watched the Portland game last night witnessed some historically terrible defense.

I did a double take this morning because surely it couldn't have been 130 in regulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wait, the coconut bullshit or the amazing french cookie sandwich things?

I bought into this macaron hype back in 2008ish and spent a few days leisure time traveling to all 5 or so of the french patisseries in Manhattan that advertised themselves as selling macarons and they were universally a stale tasting meringue cookie with an unimpressive cream middle. Crumbly almost to the point of inedibility. If any food has ever been style over substance it is the macaron. Don't buy into bullshit pro-macaron propaganda. It's a less satisfying desert than a plastic cup of chocolate pudding.

edit: the andrea bargnani of deserts?

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 28, 2016

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Time posted:

I did a double take this morning because surely it couldn't have been 130 in regulation

God bless Mike D'Antoni

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Time posted:

Didn't the Warriors put up like 149 on the Lakers last week?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Henchman of Santa posted:

Didn't the Warriors put up like 149 on the Lakers last week?

Yes, but they are the warriors and have 3 of the greatest shooters in the league. the rockets are fueled by the guy from the pringles can and a barrel of root beer

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Blazers are last in DRtg at 113.3. The Rockets are seventh worst at 108.8. That is a huge difference in effectiveness.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Space Camp fuckup posted:

God bless Mike D'Antoni

One day the Rockets will score 50 points in a quarter, and 40 of them will be alley-oop dunks by Clint Capela.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Portland are like the New Orleans Saints of the NBA this season. The numbers they let opponents put up are just eye-popping and if they played even average defense they'd be one of the better teams in the league.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yeah I know, but Portland will wait a little longer. You gotta at least wait for the powerball drawing before buying a ticket to the next powerball.

Neither player can be traded right now. Most teams try to avoid selling low if they can help it and dumping either player prior to the trade deadline would be selling at the lowest of lows. Also while Portland has a ton of salary committed but they are only $7m in the tax this year and aren't repeat offenders. And finally the Blazers have had a tough schedule so far and are still in the playoff race. All those factors mean they are going to wait.

On the bright side Turner has looked a little better with 13.8/3/3 on 50% shooting last 5 games.

I'm well aware that they can't be traded now, no ones going to do this, or any meaningful trade until the deadline.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Since my last couple Blazers posts were somewhat optimistic, I feel like I should add that their defense is making me very worried about the future of a Lillard and McCollum backcourt. If things don't improve I think McCollum is going to be shopped pretty hard.

Out of the 125 guards that meet the MP/G leaderboard this season, Lillard, McCollum and Crabbe are 3 of the 6 with 0 defensive win shares (Swaggy P, Bojan and Afflalo are the other 3).

And in DBPM And Crabbe is 89th, CJ is 107th and Lillard 117th.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

All time draft, no knowledge of post-draft career

1. David Robinson
2. Shaq
3. Wilt
4. Lebron
5. Dion Waiters (the Cavs picked 5th)

1. Lew Alcindor

If they have to change the rules to try and stop you, and you still totally dominate, then you're pretty good.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
How is Afflalo at 0 DWS? I thought defense was one of his main strengths as a player? Did he just stop giving a gently caress. He was a really solid defender a few years ago.

I guess I just remembered it wrong because looking at his numbers it doesn't appear that he is actually any good at defense, and also holy poo poo he's 31?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

All time draft, no knowledge of post-draft career

1. David Robinson
2. Shaq
3. Wilt
4. Lebron
5. Dion Waiters (the Cavs picked 5th)

Honestly if this was a game of pickup and I had no prior knowledge of how any of these guys played I'd assume Shaq would just chuck 3's the entire game

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Doltos posted:

Honestly if this was a game of pickup and I had no prior knowledge of how any of these guys played I'd assume Shaq would just chuck 3's the entire game

Wilt screams "jack of no trades" to me. Dion would be that guy who does fancy dribble moves and drives to the basket and rarely finishing while also managing to ignore and blame everyone else on the team.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Libertine posted:

How is Afflalo at 0 DWS? I thought defense was one of his main strengths as a player? Did he just stop giving a gently caress. He was a really solid defender a few years ago.

I guess I just remembered it wrong because looking at his numbers it doesn't appear that he is actually any good at defense, and also holy poo poo he's 31?

He has never been a good defender.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Libertine posted:

DRTG is not a great way to measure a players defense across teams, especially for a wing. However, other stats like DRPM that try to measure impact on lineup also call him a average-to-poor defender. I think his rep was one of those cases where he looked like a good defender but wasn't really all that good in reality.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Give me Flan or give me death

Boris Diaw account spotted

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I just saw that Kanter is playing even less than last season. That's not good. I guess he really is the Anthony Morrow of centers.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Afflalo is pretty much cooked out there. He hasn't been a good defender in some time at least. Either his legs are shot or he stopped caring at all or both. He's pretty much out there for shooting at this point, Temple is drawing all the tough defensive assignments now.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Macarons - the terrible French crumbly tasteless poo poo sandwiches - are the Jeff Green of foods.

They look great so they must be great, right? They just need the right situation! Wait, why are they still loving terrible in all these colours and flavour combinations? But just imagine if macarons could defend across three positions, play a slashing game and shoot threes?

THEY CANT THEY ARE JUST BAD STOP SPENDING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND TRADING FIRST ROUND PICKS FOR MACARONS

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol @ LeBron now being able to block shots with Jedi mind tricks

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

This is true.

Lockback posted:

DRTG is not a great way to measure a players defense across teams, especially for a wing. However, other stats like DRPM that try to measure impact on lineup also call him a average-to-poor defender. I think his rep was one of those cases where he looked like a good defender but wasn't really all that good in reality.

Curse of the Kobe Stopper label.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 28, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm not huge on macaroons but lol if you've never had a good one

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm not huge on macaroons but lol if you've never had a good one

I think the fact that none of us have is the problem. Eating them because they're supposed to be good is like watching Toronto Raptors basketball.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I like macarons, macaroons, macaroni and Toronto Raptors basketball.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

dokmo posted:

I thought he was early in his career? Or was that just the fading glow of everyone who played on the Pistons just being assumed to play good defense

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

dokmo posted:

Anybody who watched the Portland game last night witnessed some historically terrible defense.

I thought it was a fun game. Leave defense to second round teams IMO

Corey Brewer's been playing halfway respectable basketball. Between him and Dekker improving the Rockets wing rotation is better than I thought it would be.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

chunkles posted:

I thought it was a fun game. Leave defense to second round teams IMO

Corey Brewer's been playing halfway respectable basketball. Between him and Dekker improving the Rockets wing rotation is better than I thought it would be.

I'm over kinda over corey brewer but he and josh smith will forever get more rope than appropriate from me. Watching the two of them bomb the clippers out of the playoffs is one of the NBAs greatest storylines

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

roundmidnight posted:

Macarons - the terrible French crumbly tasteless poo poo sandwiches - are the Jeff Green of foods.

They look great so they must be great, right? They just need the right situation! Wait, why are they still loving terrible in all these colours and flavour combinations? But just imagine if macarons could defend across three positions, play a slashing game and shoot threes?

THEY CANT THEY ARE JUST BAD STOP SPENDING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND TRADING FIRST ROUND PICKS FOR MACARONS

They are good in not weird flavors and also good used in ice cream sandwiches

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.
I just want to thank you all for being particularly entertaining over the last few pages. All the ben and jerrys talk plus the hate for macarons has definitely brought my faith in humanity back.

Time posted:

I'm over kinda over corey brewer but he and josh smith will forever get more rope than appropriate from me. Watching the two of them bomb the clippers out of the playoffs is one of the NBAs greatest storylines

Nothing sums up Corey Brewer better than this posession.
https://twitter.com/SportsFanzoo/status/803199423723479041

Smellyhead fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 29, 2016

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Since my last couple Blazers posts were somewhat optimistic, I feel like I should add that their defense is making me very worried about the future of a Lillard and McCollum backcourt. If things don't improve I think McCollum is going to be shopped pretty hard.

Out of the 125 guards that meet the MP/G leaderboard this season, Lillard, McCollum and Crabbe are 3 of the 6 with 0 defensive win shares (Swaggy P, Bojan and Afflalo are the other 3).

And in DBPM And Crabbe is 89th, CJ is 107th and Lillard 117th.

amian Lillar

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Jack's Flow posted:

One day the Rockets will score 50 points in a quarter, and 40 of them will be alley-oop dunks by Clint Capela.

Clint Capela passed DeAndre to lead the league in FG% last night.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Bunny hop in the pea patch?

for context, I guess Chick Hearn's 100th birthday anniv. was yesterday, if noone posted about it. He invented a lot of the terms we use now, such as...

...Bunny hop in the pea patch.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 29, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

woah woah woah macaroons and macarons are completely different things. both are good when done well.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbgv8PkO9eo

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You know it's still early in the season when this happens:

code:
			W	L	SRS
Los Angeles Clippers  	14	4	10.01
Memphis Grizzlies  	11	6	0.1

tanglewood1420 posted:

1. Lew Alcindor

If they have to change the rules to try and stop you, and you still totally dominate, then you're pretty good.

In the NBA regular seasons, playoffs and all-star games Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, Jr. scored exactly 44,400 points.

46,725 total points when adding his four UCLA years.

roundmidnight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FOz-pD4AI0

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Cavaliers are looking good so far. #1 3P team in the whole league. GSW is tied for #2 with HOU. It appears two teams might meet in the finals for three straight years for the first time ever.

1+ in all five categories (since 1984 regular season):

code:
Player			From	To	Games
Hakeem Olajuwon		1985	2002	787
Kevin Garnett		1996	2016	723
David Robinson		1990	2003	586
Tim Duncan		1998	2016	577
Karl Malone		1986	2004	521
Scottie Pippen		1988	2004	514
Patrick Ewing		1986	2002	506
Michael Jordan		1985	2003	495
Vlade Divac		1990	2004	481
Josh Smith		2005	2016	467
Shawn Marion		2000	2015	458
Clifford Robinson	1990	2007	456
Chris Webber		1994	2008	437
Shaquille O'Neal	1993	2011	429
LeBron James		2004	2017	428
Elton Brand		2000	2016	423
Ben Wallace		1998	2012	419
Clyde Drexler		1984	1998	418
Charles Barkley		1985	2000	408
Andrei Kirilenko	2002	2014	400

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I just looked up SRS and it seems like its a good stat. does it have any real problems?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Macaron chat got me wondering: how do the French players in remote locations get proper croissants? Do you think Diaw and Gobert have live-in croissant guys who wake up at 4AM and get the croissants and espresso going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

.. there are French styled bakeries in civilized places.

• Locked thread