Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The only fee fees that matter are white working class fee fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So focusing on class issues makes me a notorious ultra-right racist troll? Wow this forum has a lot of insane people lol.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

You can't make this argument and at the same time be arguing for registration of Muslims. Registration of Muslims is the kind of decision you get with "Republican control of everything and most states and Supreme Court." That's exactly the kind of idea the left should be fighting against. It has nothing to do with economic populism. It's just a really dumb idea based in an irrational fear of a politically unpopular group and a bunch of idiotic myths about "taqiyya" or whatever.

Uh, that GBS thread wasn't you know, a real opinion. Lol. I have a problem with Islam. Not Muslims.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

cheese posted:

If I were to promote a platform of economic populism, with the idea that all people are deserving of equal rights and security of basic material comfort at its center, what specific policies or positions would be at odds with a platform of identity politics?

The argument isn't that the platform is the problem. The argument is that historically white leftists have run on economic populism and then when in power made that populism For White People Only.

See: the New Deal, the GI Bill, etc.

It's an issue of representation and implementation, more so than a grievance with class politics as a concept.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Black Baby Goku posted:

We are talking election politics, and the politics of radical Islam. It's two separate issues. Yes Islam is a problem. Yes not focusing on class and instead dealing with pet issues of any given group crying about and calling the other side racist and bigots doesn't win elections. We are talking two separate things here.

Again, you keep saying this as if you think this is a good rebuttal. You think election politics discussion focuses too much on identity and not enough on class. You go off for pages on Muslims, an identity, and spend no meaningful time creating a discussion about class. You are shaping discourse and it is counter to the discourse you think we should be engaging in

Lead by example or shut the gently caress up about "class before all else."

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Domestic Amuse posted:

That's the lesson the Dems will be dumb enough to take away. You've heard it here first.

If you were attempting to make a more intelligent point with that post I didn't see it.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Again, you keep saying this as if you think this is a good rebuttal. You think election politics discussion focuses too much on identity and not enough on class. You go off for pages on Muslims, an identity, and spend no meaningful time creating a discussion about class. You are shaping discourse and it is counter to the discourse you think we should be engaging in

Lead by example or shut the gently caress up about "class before all else."

Radical Islam has nothing to do with class. Okay?

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

So focusing on class issues makes me a notorious ultra-right racist troll? Wow this forum has a lot of insane people lol.

You don't actually focus on class issues. Why are you this dense?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

Uh, that GBS thread wasn't you know, a real opinion. Lol. I have a problem with Islam. Not Muslims.
Well, that's one of the reasons people are accusing you of being an ultra-right wing Reddit 4chan MRA helltroll. It's real opinion whiplash!

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

So why are you spending so much time talking about it when "class before all else"?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

"I don't have a problem with Jews, I just have problems with Judaism that's all" said the antisemite.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well, that's one of the reasons people are accusing you of being an ultra-right wing Reddit 4chan MRA helltroll. It's real opinion whiplash!

There is a difference in trolling GBS to see who actually agrees with that, and saying Islam is bad, here is why, and we need to focus on Class issues instead of race and identity ones to win elections, but whatever. If you don't fall in line in this forum people fall over themselves to post mentally ill screeds against you.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, there's probably a secret cabal of conservatives trying to drive the Democrats away from the guiding light of Hillary and onto the rocks of class-consciousness.

That makes sense to me
Sure, I bet Black Baby Goku is just sincerely trying to help the left win. The dude who gets probated weekly for posting racial slurs in is just trying to help his friends, the Democrats, out with some heartfelt advice about those bad Identity Politics.

There's no secret cabal dude, I'm talking you suckers getting played constantly by the laziest trolls. Instead of talking about Trump's latest lurch into authoritarian hilarity we've got 100 posts about "is fear of muslims RATIONAL?"

Seriously man, I don't tend to remember online posters "personalities" but your posting is so constantly trollish and lovely that you stand out. and the "rap sheet" button is right there man, anyone can click it and go "oh"

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Do different religions encourage different levels of dogmatic belief?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Its actually accent and language that divides people the most.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

The argument isn't that the platform is the problem. The argument is that historically white leftists have run on economic populism and then when in power made that populism For White People Only.

It's an issue of representation and implementation, more so than a grievance with class politics as a concept.

Are there any more recent examples?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Black Baby Goku posted:

The history of modern radicalization is Islam stems from rich white nations going to poorer Muslim nations to take their land and resources, this is a preposterous claim.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

"I don't have a problem with Jews, I just have problems with Judaism that's all" said the antisemite.

:rolleyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Lightning Knight posted:

Ok so lets do that then.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

the black husserl posted:

Sure, I bet Black Baby Goku is just sincerely trying to help the left win. The dude who gets probated weekly for posting racial slurs in is just trying to help his friends, the Democrats, out with some heartfelt advice about those bad Identity Politics.

There's no secret cabal dude, I'm talking you suckers getting played constantly by the laziest trolls. Instead of talking about Trump's latest lurch into authoritarian hilarity we've got 100 posts about "is fear of muslims RATIONAL?"

Seriously man, I don't tend to remember online posters "personalities" but your posting is so constantly trollish and lovely that you stand out. and the "rap sheet" button is right there man, anyone can click it and go "oh"

You are actually insane lol. Rap sheet shaming? Are you serious?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm sure they are but I don't have something handy. The point is that people keep saying "we should run on the New New Deal!" and nobody wants to face up to the fact that the first New Deal left black people out in the cold. We have to grapple with that history to build a coalition between minorities and working class white people again.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

The history of modern radicalization is Islam stems from rich white nations going to poorer Muslim nations to take their land and resources, this is a preposterous claim.

Oh so thats what led to the Arab Spring

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Probably some racist stuff with the Great Society. I remember reading about housing projects being used to raze minority neighborhoods in desirable areas.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Jizz Festival posted:

If you were attempting to make a more intelligent point with that post I didn't see it.

dude gently caress off.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Class before all else, unless Islam is involved.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm sure they are but I don't have something handy. The point is that people keep saying "we should run on the New New Deal!" and nobody wants to face up to the fact that the first New Deal left black people out in the cold. We have to grapple with that history to build a coalition between minorities and working class white people again.

Why can't we run on a new New Deal*?

*not racist this time

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

cheese posted:

Ok so lets do that then.

I mean I've already offered a solution: run minority candidates who are young and charismatic on a platform that aggressively reorients to labor concerns. People threw a shitfit when I suggested maybe white male leftists shouldn't snap up every leadership position we can find and instead seek out and endorse strong minority leaders for the movement.

Keith Ellison (or Perez) would be great. Howard Dean, not so much.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
BBG please stop triggering the uspol thread, tia

Joe-Bob
May 12, 2005

GO BIG RED
College Slice

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wouldn't live there if you paid me to.

It's not even worth talking about those people down there.

Black Baby Goku posted:

Oh so thats what led to the Arab Spring

The history of modern radicalization in Islam or whatever you were responding to goes back a little bit further than the Arab Spring. Or have you forgotten?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Lightning Knight posted:

Why does the institutional racism underlying the new deal mean that "the new new deal" can't be designed not to be institutionally racist?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously it's like attaching anyone who disagrees with your leftist marching orders and says maybe focus on economy and class gets called a racist troll and maybe this is why you lost the election to Donald Trump and I think it's time your voices need to be drowned out by more reasonable approaches. Because what you are doing didn't work and isn't working and everyone outside of crazy echo chambers like this forum agrees and laughs at you. It's why people like Trump are in power now. It's why they control the house senate and soon the Supreme Court. Your time is over. Let's have some different opinions now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

There is a difference in trolling GBS to see who actually agrees with that, and saying Islam is bad, here is why, and we need to focus on Class issues instead of race and identity ones to win elections, but whatever. If you don't fall in line in this forum people fall over themselves to post mentally ill screeds against you.
Sure, I get that, but lots of actual racists have used economic populism or a rejection of identity politics as covers for actual racism. For instance, Donald Trump. That's why people are having trouble engaging with you in good faith. I'm not saying it's fair, just that there's a wider political context that's causing you and other posters to talk past each other. I know that your opinions are sincere because I've actually spoken to you, but that's why people think you're trolling. Posting a thread about registering Muslims in GBS earlier, trolling or not, doesn't help that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Dismiss it all you want, you wrote something pretty horrific.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I'm willing to bet a good chunk of the regulars here have used the term "Berniebros" in complete sincerity, many times.

Anyways, good job with this election you guys :-D knocked it out of the park. The Yass Slay Queen really slayed ha ha ha.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, because that sort of economic populism hasn't really been a thing in American politics for a long time. It's akin to worrying that pursuing feminist causes will hurt anti-racism because early feminists were quite happy to ally themselves with white supremacists when they thought it would advance their agenda.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why can't we run on a new New Deal*?

*not racist this time

Trust and credibility matter. Hillary didn't have credibility with white working class people. Bernie didn't have it with minority voters. Obama drew both. Hence my argument.

Ogmius815 posted:

Why does the institutional racism underlying the new deal mean that "the new new deal" can't be designed not to be institutionally racist?

It can be. But we shouldn't be shocked if minority voters don't trust white male leadership to do that.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

Seriously it's like attaching anyone who disagrees with your leftist marching orders and says maybe focus on economy and class gets called a racist troll and maybe this is why you lost the election to Donald Trump and I think it's time your voices need to be drowned out by more reasonable approaches. Because what you are doing didn't work and isn't working and everyone outside of crazy echo chambers like this forum agrees and laughs at you. It's why people like Trump are in power now. It's why they control the house senate and soon the Supreme Court. Your time is over. Let's have some different opinions now.

If you want people to focus on class and you want to avoid being called a racist, a good way to do that would be to discuss class and stop discussing race. That's a free tip on the house, buckaroo.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean I've already offered a solution: run minority candidates who are young and charismatic on a platform that aggressively reorients to labor concerns. People threw a shitfit when I suggested maybe white male leftists shouldn't snap up every leadership position we can find and instead seek out and endorse strong minority leaders for the movement.

Keith Ellison (or Perez) would be great. Howard Dean, not so much.

Yeah that's a great idea! Let's run people because they are a minority lol. Christ....

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sit on my Facebook posted:

I almost hope that r/theDonald is actually following through with their plan of sending out coordinated trolls to places like this thread because if it just got this bad spontaneously then that's even more disappointing.

This thread is basically proof that D&D posting had gotten really really soft and inbred. A slight shifting of posting demographics due to Hillary-toxes causes the D&D left to collapse in the face of actually having to argue instead of relying on numbers and volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sure, I get that, but lots of actual racists have used economic populism or a rejection of identity politics as covers for actual racism. For instance, Donald Trump. That's why people are having trouble engaging with you in good faith. I'm not saying it's fair, just that there's a wider political context that's causing you and other posters to talk past each other. I know that your opinions are sincere because I've actually spoken to you, but that's why people think you're trolling. Posting a thread about registering Muslims in GBS earlier, trolling or not, doesn't help that.

Sure I get that. I have said before that's why Trump won and that the left needed to do the same messaging rather than "Trump bad, Trump racist"

• Locked thread