Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

I met a lot of SHARPS and Actual Racist Skinheads in the 90s and seriously "red laces, black boots" just meant you were racist. Red and white laces for Boneheads, Purple laces for gay SHARPS, black laces for regular "I'm not racist" SHARPs, green laces for "I'm really into the environment" SHARPs, etc.

At one point there were a lot of people very concerned about shoelaces.

I think yellow was meant to signify general hatred in the hardcore racist skinhead crowd (i.e. The Dentists, The Ventz, White Boss, Skrewdriver) And let's not even get started on the color of suspenders.

I hated having to deal with those shitheads- I was a bouncer for many years at some pretty gnarly venues. I need to watch Green Room I guess.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just watched the Hunter and it was good. Not what I was expecting but it was enjoyable and really pretty to look at.

(Sort of) Ending spoilers I think that was the first time I have seen a CG animal that I honestly couldn't tell was CG. I would have thought it was real except tasmanian tigers are extinct so I got no other explanation

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 27, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

veni veni veni posted:

Just watched the Hunter and it was good. Not what I was expecting but it was enjoyable and really pretty to look at.

(Sort of) Ending spoilers I think that was the first time I have seen a CG animal that I honestly couldn't tell was CG. I would have thought it was real except tasmanian tigers are extinct so I got no other explanation

The Hunter is definitely one of my favorites in that sub-genre of psychological profiles of lonely professionals.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just finished Green Room. The wife and I loved it... she played some Minor Threat after we were done watching it, the crazy bitch. Jeremy Saulnier is 2 for 2 in my book after this and Blue Ruin- can't wait to see what he does next.

Gonna miss seeing what Anton Yelchin would have become. I really took notice of him in Alpha Dog along with Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster, and loving Justin Timberlake. Goddamn I love that movie.

Hell, even Odd Thomas (still on Netflix afaik) was watchable thanks to Anton... and after smoking a couple of bowls. The CG and voiceover sucked though.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 27, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

pahuyuth posted:

Hell, even Odd Thomas (still on Netflix afaik) was watchable thanks to Anton... and after smoking a couple of bowls. The CG and voiceover sucked though.

I actually really liked Odd Thomas and wanted to see it become a franchise. It wasn't exactly original, hell The Frighteners did a similar concept in the 90s, but he played it well. I wouldn't have called it a "good" movie but it was certainly fun and definitely didn't regret the time I spent watching it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pahuyuth posted:

Gonna miss seeing what Anton Yelchin would have become. I really took notice of him in Alpha Dog along with Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster, and loving Justin Timberlake. Goddamn I love that movie.

There were a lot of good performances in that movie. Justin Timberlake actually did a really good job playing a chickenshit lowlife douche. The weak link was definitely Sharon Stone though, especially when she donned a fat-suit. Yelchin was effortlessly likeable in his role.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Interesting!

Related to this, do you, or anyone, have any specific examples of actors with a lot of clout lobbying and succeeding/failing to put a certain spin on a role? I know it's definitely got its limitations because it's ultimately left up to the director or whoever, but I'd be interested to know of any movies where there's been talk an actor wanted to play it one way and the director another and how that worked out.

Lost Soul is on Netflix, watch that. It's a documentary about how the 1996 Island of Dr. Moreau movie was effectively ruined by the studio attempting to turn it into a blockbuster by casting Val Kilmer and Marlon Brando as the leads and the two of them hijacking the film's production by being an rear end in a top hat and insane, respectively. Brando's acting choices and the studio going along with it because he was so famous/expensive is definitely the highlight of the movie, him choosing to play Dr. Moreau with an ice bucket on his head and a dancing pet dwarf is amazing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

pahuyuth posted:

Just finished Green Room. The wife and I loved it... she played some Minor Threat after we were done watching it, the crazy bitch. Jeremy Saulnier is 2 for 2 in my book after this and Blue Ruin- can't wait to see what he does next.

Alpha Dog was a movie I didn't think much of when it came out but it's a really strong piece.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah I didn't watch Alpha Dog until after Yelchin died because I thought it looked lame but it was great

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's up there with the other unsung blue collar dramas like Four Brothers and Shooter.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's up there with the other unsung blue collar dramas like Four Brothers and Shooter.

I didn't like Shooter but I remember Four Brothers being a lot of fun

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Swap in something like Street Kings, if you like.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Hard TImes is up there imho,

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been professing the merits of Alpha Dog for years, it's absolutely fantastic. For a long time I actually didn't know that Cassavetes directed it, which was a minor mindfuck.

If you want a really good time, watch that and Bully back to back while drinking extremely cheap beer and popping pills. (Note: do not actually do this, but they are both good flicks).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

I've been professing the merits of Alpha Dog for years, it's absolutely fantastic. For a long time I actually didn't know that Cassavetes directed it, which was a minor mindfuck.

If you want a really good time, watch that and Bully back to back while drinking extremely cheap beer and popping pills. (Note: do not actually do this, but they are both good flicks).

I was gonna say, Bully was definitely the #1 thing Alpha Dog reminded me of

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
What happened to Ben Foster's career? I thought the sky was the limit for him after Alpha Dog and 3:10 to Yuma.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

fishtobaskets posted:

What happened to Ben Foster's career? I thought the sky was the limit for him after Alpha Dog and 3:10 to Yuma.

He killed it in Hell Or High Water.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I enjoyed Ben Foster in Pandorum and he is in the new Inferno flick with Tom Hanks so at least he's in a big title though the reviews haven't been great and I haven't seen it anyway.

Bully and Hell or High Water look cool, gonna give those a look.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

fishtobaskets posted:

He's been working but Foster has always been one of the more dedicated yet understated and low-key character actors. Some of the bigger roles he's been in lately were in Lone Survivor and as the antagonist in the latest Da Vinci Code movie. Dude even started taking HGH to prepare for his role as Lance Armstrong in The Program.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ben Foster has a great career for a character actor.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

pahuyuth posted:

I enjoyed Ben Foster in Pandorum and he is in the new Inferno flick with Tom Hanks so at least he's in a big title though the reviews haven't been great and I haven't seen it anyway.

Bully and Hell or High Water look cool, gonna give those a look.
Hell of High Water is bleak as gently caress

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Ben Foster was in Warcraft. Only time will tell if his career will survive.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
ARQ is literally just a James Cameron-ish, mockbuster version of Edge of Tomorrow and, I don't know, I don't really dig it. If you want trashy low budget sci-fi, The Call Up is still a fine option, a veritable Cube of our times.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ben Foster was really good in 40 Days of Night, too

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ben Foster is one of those guys who's always the best part of whatever movie he's in. You wouldn't think that he'd carry a big budget Western starring Russell Crowe and Christian Bale, but he did. The scenes in 3:10 to Yuma that feature him are infinitely more compelling than any of the Crowe/Bale scenes.

Another great example of an underseen, underrated Foster role in a mediocre movie is Hostage. I had no clue who Ben Foster was going into that movie, I was seeing it because of Bruce Willis, yet Foster ended up being the most memorable part of it by far. He does that in almost every single film he appears in, which is probably the ultimate compliment to a character actor.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's in Rampart just giving it his all in what amounts to a teeny little bit part that has like 4 minutes of screen time.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Burn After Reading is on Netflix and I watched it because I'm a retard who doesn't learn from his mistakes. Why do I torture myself

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Because it's an amazing movie?

For anybody reading this: the next time you watch Burn After Reading, do it with the fact that Brad Pitt's character is illiterate in mind.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

Burn After Reading is on Netflix and I watched it because I'm a retard who doesn't learn from his mistakes. Why do I torture myself

Don't listen to this person. Burn After Reading is amazing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yeah, Burn After Reading rocks.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'd have a hard time saying Burn After Reading is amazing. To me it's merely decent. It's got some funny scenes, some shocking scenes, and a whole lotta nothing in between. Watch just about any other Cohen Bros movie for a better use of your time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tainen posted:

Don't listen to this person. Burn After Reading is amazing.

:same:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

The scenes in 3:10 to Yuma that feature him are infinitely more compelling than any of the Crowe/Bale scenes.

Bale is easily the weak link of the cast of the Yuma remake (though in fairness the Evans character is pretty badly written), but both Crowe and Logan Lerman cover up for him quite a bit. I have a weird affection for that movie, but then again I have a soft spot for most of Mangold's work.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

For anybody reading this: the next time you watch Burn After Reading, do it with the fact that Brad Pitt's character is illiterate in mind.

I think this and Pitt's role in 12 Monkeys are my favorites of his.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pitt doesn't do enough weird character work. 12 Monkeys, Burn After Reading, True Romance.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Adding 12 Monkeys and True Romance to the list.

Already watching O Brother, going to move on to Burn After Reading, then 12 Monkeys, if I'm still awake.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford has the best Pitt performance. And the best performance of basically every other principal actor in it. It's like Amadeus or Network that way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Adding 12 Monkeys and True Romance to the list.

Already watching O Brother, going to move on to Burn After Reading, then 12 Monkeys, if I'm still awake.

Wow if you really haven't already seen 12 Monkeys you are in for a treat.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Burn After Reading is great, but if you're watching it after O Brother, it's only going to disappoint.

Burn After Reading is pretty meta for a Coen Bros. movie. It's everything that makes a Coen Bros. movie a Coen Bros. movie, but exaggerated into absurdity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Just watched this movie and it's amazing, but no, Brad Pitt's character isn't illiterate, is he? He literally reads something from a computer screen at one point. One of the main features of illiterate people is that they can't read.