Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spoeank posted:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/dodgers-must-cut-debt-to-comply-with-mlb-rules.html

Who would have thought spending all the money would have negative consequences

The current crop of Dodgers is mostly cool dudes that I don't have issues with, but if they don't get a title with this ridiculous payroll it will still be the funniest thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

Miller said, before he died, that he didn't want to be in the HoF, so I'm fine with his wishes being honored. I don't know if Flood said anything about it, but he deserves to be in on merit.

I think his later years show a real love of the game and desire to be really welcomed back into baseball as a whole, but that could be me projecting. Flood's my favorite player (and the Cardinals jersey I wear to most games). Anyone curious about Curt Flood should read "A Well Paid Slave". I mean, there's also his own book, "The Way it Is", but I prefer "A Well Paid Slave". It reminds me of a Toobin book in how it paints a portrait of all the figures involved in the lawsuit, not just Flood. It focuses on Flood primarily, obviously, but it's got some really interesting background on Miller, as well as any other noteworthy figures in the trial (the Judge, the lawyers involved, etc.).

That being said, while I'm glad the Cardinals inducted him into their own hall of fame recently I thought the ceremony was a little disingenuous. If they hadn't treated him so poorly he may not have brought the suit. I think he should be lauded for doing so but the man was a bad plaintiff for a test case, both due to his specific career and due to his own personal vulnerabilities.

Poque posted:

The current crop of Dodgers is mostly cool dudes that I don't have issues with, but if they don't get a title with this ridiculous payroll it will still be the funniest thing

I still love the idea of the Dodgers going truly all-in and trading for both Verlander and Sale. I know it won't happen but my god, it could be amazing to watch.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They'll just sell some equity for cash. They're not gonna slash payroll.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Spoeank posted:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/dodgers-must-cut-debt-to-comply-with-mlb-rules.html

I'll take it. I'd love to have Jansen for next year to help defend the title.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Pancakes posted:

I think his later years show a real love of the game and desire to be really welcomed back into baseball as a whole, but that could be me projecting. Flood's my favorite player (and the Cardinals jersey I wear to most games). Anyone curious about Curt Flood should read "A Well Paid Slave". I mean, there's also his own book, "The Way it Is", but I prefer "A Well Paid Slave". It reminds me of a Toobin book in how it paints a portrait of all the figures involved in the lawsuit, not just Flood. It focuses on Flood primarily, obviously, but it's got some really interesting background on Miller, as well as any other noteworthy figures in the trial (the Judge, the lawyers involved, etc.).

I actually just finished it yesterday. I knew Flood was the player who fought against the reserve clause, but that was about it, and there were a lot of really interesting details to the case that were fun to learn, like the fact that pretty much every judge that ruled on it got all wobbly-kneed over ~the national pastime~ to the point where they were getting called out by George Will of all people

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

The Shaikin piece which is the source for that story makes it sound like less of a big deal. MLB debt rules are not hard-and-fast so much as they are tools the league and commissioner can use to force out owners they don't like (i.e. McCourt). Notice that the Wilpons never ran into trouble for their debt loads. This quote from Manfred sounds pretty wishy-washy

Rob Manfred posted:

I firmly believe that, over the long haul, they will be a club that will routinely be in compliance with the debt service rule, I also believe it’s important for the game not to have major dislocations in terms of people trying to get in compliance. We will continue to work with them.

Payroll was going to come down for at least one year at some point (almost certainly 2018) because of the luxury tax structure. This shouldn't be news to anyone who's been paying attention.

Poque posted:

The payroll is ridiculous because new ownership wanted to field a competitive team immediately instead of being bad for five years like the Cubs did after Ricketts took over. They took on bad contracts in order to acquire talent immediately without sacrificing prospects. People on this forum understand this, so I don't really get why it's "the funniest thing" that they haven't won a title in the past four years.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 28, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Because they've spent a billion dollars in four years and have nothing to show for it but pictures of Clayton Kershaw gripping his head in pain on the bench to show for it. That's why it's the funniest thing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I get why it's funny to a Giants fan, but I'd think someone like Poque would see things differently. Whatever.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The Dodgers and their years of regular season success leading to nothing are Exhibit A on the Flags Fly Forever side of the argument

The 1991-2005 Braves are Exhibit B

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Exactly. SAS people seem to get the absurd chaos that is the postseason. I get enough "but they didn't do what it takes to WIN!! $300M should guarantee a ring!" bullshit from other Dodgers fans.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

The Dodgers and their years of regular season success leading to nothing are Exhibit A on the Flags Fly Forever side of the argument

The 1991-2005 Braves are Exhibit B

The more I look at that era Braves, they really were a decent mirror to the Yankees in terms of both HoF talent and bringing in really good household names (McGriff, Galarraga, Klesko, Weiss, Jordan, etc). What's funny is when they tried to blow out the team in the mid-aughts for FFF (JD Drew and Mark Teixeira specifically) is what sunk the franchise.

I'm looking forward to the 30 for 30 about them in another five years or so.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 28, 2016

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

I get why it's funny to a Giants fan, but I'd think someone like Poque would see things differently. Whatever.

it's as simple as it being great when the team that spends the most money doesn't win. having lived in LA I understand that you have to have a competitive team or everybody will just go back to talking about the Lakers regardless of the month or if you can count their wins on one hand, but it's just simply the same concept (to me) as why it was funny every time the Yankees didn't win with their bloated payrolls of the late 90s and 00s.

and yes I understand that it's not going to be long before this turns into a very large :ironicat:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

Exactly. SAS people seem to get the absurd chaos that is the postseason. I get enough "but they didn't do what it takes to WIN!! $300M should guarantee a ring!" bullshit from other Dodgers fans.

I don't think SAS posters believe this, we just think it's funny when they spend all that money and can't even get to the WS.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Braves got their flag, at least. Honestly I'd take that and the years of continual success rather than, for instance, the Marlins' two titles and years of utter poo poo. But that's predicated on getting at least the one.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Happy Josh Donaldson day everyone. Two years ago to this very day, the holy martyr Brett Lawrie sacrificed himself to purge our sins, and deliver unto us the perennial MVP.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What's also funny about the Braves was getting stopped by even year bullshit twice this century (2002 and 2010).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

tadashi posted:

What's also funny about the Braves was getting stopped by even year bullshit twice this century (2002 and 2010).

Somewhere, a single tear falls from Brooks Conrad's eye.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Spoeank posted:

Somewhere, a single tear falls from Brooks Conrad's eye.

Robb Nen suddenly felt a shot of pain go through his shoulder just now.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

elentar posted:

The Braves got their flag, at least. Honestly I'd take that and the years of continual success rather than, for instance, the Marlins' two titles and years of utter poo poo. But that's predicated on getting at least the one.

Exactly. One WS win among years of being a contender is far more enjoyable than being hot trash in a bucket on the regular, but tripping over a couple titles. I wasn't even bothered by the "Buffalo Bills of baseball" talk.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Chexoid posted:

Happy Josh Donaldson day everyone. Two years ago to this very day, the holy martyr Brett Lawrie sacrificed himself to purge our sins, and deliver unto us the perennial MVP.

:smithicide:

At least Barreto looks like he could be fun.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senf posted:

:smithicide:

At least Barreto looks like he could be fun.

I saw him at a Double A game in Tulsa and I thought Chapman looked better. It was when he was slumping hard, though.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Best radio team in baseball is sticking around :)

https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/803270401816031232

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pat Hughes doesn't broadcast for the Phillies.

Pat + anyone is the best radio team in baseball.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Vin plus anyo-

oh, right

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Ken Korach is amazing and, even though Vince Cotroneo is solid, too, A's broadcasts reach a whole new level of fun whenever Ray Fosse joins the booth. Food chat, lovely dad jokes, and interesting baseball stories all night long :allears:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Vin plus anyo-

oh, right

:smith:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

No idea what this dude has to do with Jon Miller and Dave Flemming?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Poque posted:

having lived in LA I understand that you have to have a competitive team or everybody will just go back to talking about the Lakers

This is sort of a weird thing to say about a team that is very consistent about having the second-highest attendance in MLB (behind NYY and usually pretty close) and that is the second most valuable team / brand (again behind NYY but not close at all). The Dodgers are one of MLB's most popular teams by just about any measure and it's pretty much in everybody's best interests for them to be spending a lot and have a competitive team. But anyway, I can throw a rock in any direction and hit a dude wearing a Dodgers cap. And I live in San Diego.

Now if you were living in LA in the last couple years when no one can watch them on TV, which is a horrible fate that Padres fans had to deal with for a few years and that is so dumb I wouldn't even wish it on Giants fans, well then maybe that's why people were talking about the Lakers.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hello SAS MLB Goons. I require some advice on a baseball related moral quandary I find myself in. Alternatively, just point and laugh.

So when basking in the after glow of the Cubs win, just after the parade I had a sale scroll by my timeline on FB for 80% off jerseys from Fanatics. I didn't jump on it then, and regretted doing so for days until it scrolled by again "last day". This time I jumped at it. And only as the purchase went through did the warning signs go off--back links didn't work, links to MLB went back to this same page, and going to the Fanatics site from Google did not pop this same sale. gently caress, a scam. Digging deeper revealed more red flags: payment site I never heard of, payment address completely different than any of the previous, domain registered a day before with a free email and address to England, poor ratings on scam sites. gently caress. So I call my credit card company, cancel that number, get a new card delivered to me in another town as I was travelling, and chalk it up to being an emotional dumb rear end and not the experienced Internet user who previously has only been scammed out of :10bux: for a lousy comedy site.

Today I got a package from Hangzhou, China. Inside...the loving jersey. Its a really well done forgery, including real working holograms, and the detail good except on a couple of smaller patches, although the finish is clearly mass produced crap. But they got Kris' number right, so what the hell.

Its clearly a ripped off site, but I don't own the IP. I ordered one thing, but got another. However, its probably worth what I paid for it? So I kind of think I owe Visa for the cash they are out in all of this. OTOH, I acted in good faith, and never expected this loving thing to arrive.

tl;dr: don't be me and buy cheap Chinese imitations off fake web sites

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Yes its worth it
One time I got scammed by Rock Auto and tried to get Amex to cancel that charge and Amex was like "fuuuuck you."

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Edinson Volquez to the Marlins, 2/$22M. He's 33 and coming off a bad year so I can't imagine he got offered many 3 or 4-year deals. Personally I've never rated him so I'm pretty happy he's coming to the NL East.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves get Alex Jackson and PTNBL from Mariners in exchange for Max Povse and Rob Whalen. Povse's been coming back from TJ but has good stuff if he makes it, Whalen has been tearing up the minors but might have an AAAA cap. Or not, who knows b

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Braves get Alex Jackson and PTNBL from Mariners in exchange for Max Povse and Rob Whalen. Povse's been coming back from TJ but has good stuff if he makes it, Whalen has been tearing up the minors but might have an AAAA cap. Or not, who knows b
So Jackson's a top '14 prospect who struggled in single-A? I guess I'm fine with that. Seems like one of those trades where the most likely outcome is no one remembers it at all in a few years.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

SharkTattoos posted:

N: I got my Cubs 2016 Navy Blue under armor jacket today and it's amazing.

Mine apparently got stolen off my front porch when it was delivered while I was away for Thanksgiving.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
It was probably Mr McGibblets. Even after being toxxed he is still haunting SAS Cubs fans

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/803392044597121024

V: Cool and Good, now please get the loving CBA signed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

So Jackson's a top '14 prospect who struggled in single-A? I guess I'm fine with that. Seems like one of those trades where the most likely outcome is no one remembers it at all in a few years.
Jackson also had makeup issues that caused him to get demoted to AZL at one point in 2015 from what I recall

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Alex Jackson was the last great Jack Z prospect who struggled to hit in single A. And yeah apparently he kind of expected to walk right through the system. No idea who the PTBNL will be but I'm assuming that part comes after the rule 5 draft. I'm assuming it's gonna be one of our outfielders in the minors as well.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
This is going to be a weird question because you kind of get stuck in the bubble of obsessing over your team and trying to fight the old Cub fan negativity - but to fans of other teams, did you fear the 2016 Cubs? Being so familiar with the team I know I'd think about how Lester would work with runners on base, would he get run support, did Arrieta overpitch in the first two months and wear himself out, was Hendricks actually for real, was Lackey washed up, is the bullpen reliable, will Heyward do anything besides hit soft grounders right to an infielder, can they score with RISP...

Especially other playoff team posters, did the Cubs feel like an unstoppable juggernaut or did you always have a sort of quiet confidence that the curse was real or the Cubs would just Cubs it up like they always used to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
As far as I can tell all baseball fans (besides Yankees fans) expect their teams to lose, just with different degrees of certainty

• Locked thread