Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Cosmic Afro posted:

What IS a good way to beat the Curada boss, anyway? It's stupidly high RES, counters melees and just go nuts. I've heard things about using ninja abilities and summons, but nothing too useful.
Either you go in with tools to cheese it (a strong ninja with synergy like Tyro or OK, summons, attacking WHM BSBs, a highish leveled beatrix or OK to RW seph BSB that ignores DEF) or you play hot potato with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
hot potato is the bad option fyi

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I seeeeee, you mean brute force, as in, go in with my Phsyical A-Team, go full buffing, don't give a gently caress and just plow through poo poo.

OR to, what, set up a summoner team?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cosmic Afro posted:

What IS a good way to beat the Curada boss, anyway? It's stupidly high RES, counters melees and just go nuts. I've heard things about using ninja abilities and summons, but nothing too useful.

Put on Fire Resist accessories (the counter attack is fire element) and just go whole hog with Summons, Tyro using ninja magic and a BSB RW. It's simply not worth doing legit.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
poo poo, I got wrecked by the Guardian and completely forgot I had Sephiroth BSB. I don't think I have time to deal with this now, but I'll keep that in mind the next time the Nightmare dungeons open.

At least I finally got around to doing Mote Ifrit. Vessel of Fate RW was a godsend, since I wanted to bring in Rinoa since I have her BSB but at the same time I wanted to debuff the hell out of him with Vaan and Agrias. Fight ended up going beautifully once everything was in place. Can't imagine doing the CM though...

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Shock Trooper posted:

poo poo, I got wrecked by the Guardian and completely forgot I had Sephiroth BSB. I don't think I have time to deal with this now, but I'll keep that in mind the next time the Nightmare dungeons open.

At least I finally got around to doing Mote Ifrit. Vessel of Fate RW was a godsend, since I wanted to bring in Rinoa since I have her BSB but at the same time I wanted to debuff the hell out of him with Vaan and Agrias. Fight ended up going beautifully once everything was in place. Can't imagine doing the CM though...

Well, keep in mind that I believe the big deal in the original statement there was having someone who has Nightmare Synergy (i.e.: Beatrix or a Moted OK) use the BSB via RW. I mean, I don't think it would necessarily hurt to bring your own Sephiroth too, but yeah.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
So the black Friday lucky draw gave me my third BSB!

...for Jecht. Any abilities that work particularly well with the drunk rear end in a top hat?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So multiplayer seems like it could be fun, assuming you can get a group that can balance poo poo properly instead of bringing physical AoEs to a fight that lets you sleep a target. Oh, and providing critical buffs like Shout/Haste/Wall/Maria's Song/etc. Oh, and I guess Android's latest update is hosed, so it's iOS or emulator if you really want to enjoy it.

At least they're soloable, I guess. :shrug:

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

...for Jecht. Any abilities that work particularly well with the drunk rear end in a top hat?

I hear Meteor Crush is pretty good.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Cosmic Afro posted:

I seeeeee, you mean brute force, as in, go in with my Phsyical A-Team, go full buffing, don't give a gently caress and just plow through poo poo.

OR to, what, set up a summoner team?

You can also abuse DEF piercing attacks like the monk Piercing Strike and Sephiroth BSB. That's how I mostly did it.

Also the rematch lucky draw is just shockingly bad.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
There we go, I beat 'm. Ran out of gas with abilities(did not hone Ninja stuff enough) and I had to rely on, out of all things, Yuna's BSB for damage. So, I didn't mastered it, but I'll return someday with more hones to get them White Crystals.

Meanwhile, I've got Curada. Yay!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

Oh man, you just engaged man mode. With Dark Bargain, burst mode, and another attack boost like Shout active, you can hit some disgusting Lifebanes.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I think my favorite part about multiplayer is watching someone either get smoked down by two attacks on them at the start before mitigation or when a bunch of people trigger counters with lifesiphon on turn one to murder many more people.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
So, here's the important question: is the Lucky Banner even G5? By the look of it, I'm not even SURE about that.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
It says, "Guaranteed to get a specially selected Unique Soul Break". That sounds like G5 to me but haven't pulled yet.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I drew on this half off banner because shiny. I got.. Pole Axe, Wyrmfang (2nd), Seraphim's Mace, Sirius Sidearms, and Ebon Armor (3rd). Worth 25 mythril I suppose for 2 supers.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I got an Organics :effort:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is this banner even worth pulling from a "at least I'll get some stat sticks" perspective?

The only possible dupes for me are Overture and Sirius Sidearms, and I've already got 2 Overtures anyway so I guess worst case I can combine one, but man. VII and XIII are two of my stronger realms, synergy-wise, though I still have a decent number of gaps in both.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I didn't really want to spend the mythril on a lovely banner but it's half off and gently caress it I'm still bitter about my Black Friday pull being utter trash.

One 5*.

Fusoya's Faerie Rod.

gently caress.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Well then, I pulled with the hope of SOME FF4 buckery.

I get Red XIII's Magic Comb. Woop, woop. Oh well!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'll pretty much always pull when its 25 mith.

I got Serah's Starseeker, Golbez's Ebon Armor, and Rosa's White dress which is like a mini wall? Great for me since I didn't have poo poo from any of those relms.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Oh christ gently caress Cagnazzo.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Getting the First Fusion Dupe and Overture on my BSB Lucky Draw is the biggest sign I shouldn't draw on this banner. I have decent 13, 4, and 7 synergy. There are maybe 3 items on this banner I would actually like even considering stat sticks.

I'm probably going to cave and pull anyways at some point because I have very little self-control. An 8* First Fusion Sword would be nice. I'm trying to remind myself the Buff Lucky Draw is coming up, or that this 25 Mythril is probably better spent refreshing during orbfest, but I have enough spare Mythril from the Thanksgiving bonus that I have enough for all my scheduled pulls.

MarcusSA posted:

I'll pretty much always pull when its 25 mith.

I got Serah's Starseeker, Golbez's Ebon Armor, and Rosa's White dress which is like a mini wall? Great for me since I didn't have poo poo from any of those relms.

Protectga+Shellga for Rosa.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Whelp, I decided to go for it and went 1/11 again. Serah's Starseeker so it's SSB level at least and my first magic bow.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
What a dumb event. I'm going to guess the lucky draw is garbage too? (In terms of selection?)

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

superloosegoose posted:

What a dumb event. I'm going to guess the lucky draw is garbage too? (In terms of selection?)
Yes.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
3/11, 3 Uniques. Yuffie's 4-Point Shuriken, Fang's Partisan, Cid's Pole Axe. I don't really have much in the way of throwing weapons so I guess that as a stat stick (stat star?) is something, I guess...

I'm weak, I can't resist half price.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Alright, stomping those three assholes into fine paste (Especially SIN) was insanely therapeutic. I didn't even bother playing by their rules. Lost 2 medals for dogs and ate like 4 Tsunamis from Cagnazzo for a pitiful 1500 damage each.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

KnoxZone posted:

Alright, stomping those three assholes into fine paste (Especially SIN) was insanely therapeutic. I didn't even bother playing by their rules. Lost 2 medals for dogs and ate like 4 Tsunamis from Cagnazzo for a pitiful 1500 damage each.

Yep. I decided to screw playing by the rules and just brute force my way through.

Still... Cagnazzo. AOE slow and counter stops on a timing critical U+ fight? gently caress right off.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ahh, I had forgotten how dumb Cagnazzo was. At least this time I got full medals with a Mage team. Even got to take Serah's new Moonfrost Arrows out for a spin.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Here's what all's on the Lucky Draw Banner for anyone on the fence:

Triton's Dagger (IV) - Palom's Chaincast Boltstorm (Super)
Deathbringer (IV) - Dark Knight Cecil's Shadowbringer (Super)
Kotetsu (IV) - Edge's Eblan Dual Wield (Unique)
Faerie Rod (IV) - Fusoya's Lunar Auspice (Unique)
Stardust Rod (IV) - Tellah's Dire Meteor (Unique)
Seraphim's Mace (IV) - Porom's Sync (Super)
Elven Bow (IV) - Rosa's Divine Favor (Unique)
Mystic Whip (IV) - Rydia's Odin (Super)
Ebon Armor (IV) - Golbez's Nightglow (Unique)
White Dress (IV) - Rosa's Miracle (Unique)

Organics (VII) - Cloud's Blade Beam (Super)
1st Fusion Sword (VII) - Cloud's Fenrir Overdrive (Burst)
Pole Axe (VII) - Cid's Hyper Jump (Unique)
Platinum Fist (VII) - Tifa's Burning Arrow (Unique)
Master Fist (VII) - Tifa's Dolphin Blow (Super)
Zack's Gloves (VII) - Zack's Air Strike (Unique)
4-Point Shuriken (VII) - Yuffie's Landscaper (Unique)
Magic Comb (VII) - Red XIII's Stardust Ray (Super)
Keepsake Ribbon (VII) - Aerith's Planet Protector (Unique)
Sephiroth's Coat (VII) - Sephiroth's Nibelheim Nightmare (Unique)

Overture (XIII) - Lightning's Requiem of the Goddess (Burst)
Glaive (XIII) - Fang's Pulsar Burst (Unique)
Partisan (XIII) - Fang's High Dive (Unique)
Power Circle (XIII) - Snow's Diamond Dust (Super)
Wyrmfang (XIII) - Vanille's Oerba's Boon (Unique)
Starseeker (XIII) - Serah's Ultima Arrow (Super)
Airwing (XIII) - Hope's Earthquake (Unique)
Sirius Sidearms (XIII) - Sazh's Godsend (Super)
Corps Field Uniform (XIII) - Lightning's Stormborn (Unique)
Serah's Gloves (XIII) - Serah's Clock Master (Unique)

So that's 4 Supers for IV, and 3 Supers and 1 Burst for VII and XIII. Note that the banner itself also says "Guaranteed to get a specially selected Unique Soul Break! Chance for Burst Soul Break and Super Soul Break Equipement!"

So basically, unless you're really hurting for synergy in IV, VII and XIII (ie three of the most common event realms) or you've got excess Mythril burning a hole in your pocket, it's probably not really worth it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That's not even considering that the two featured Bursts are pretty poor in terms of value, too.

I'd be slightly tempted for the last attempt at Magic Comb, but it's just not worth it with that kind of relic pool.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Yeah, looks like I'm skipping that banner. I have enough VII and XIII stuff as it is, and while I could use more IV stuff, I have enough reforged stuff from that realm to make up for it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Should I care at all to pull my punches with Bahamut SIN, or should I just rush him down and hope for all other medals?

Edit: It turns out that if you kill fewer than eight Shadow Creepers you can get partial credit! In this case I ended up killing six - four by damage, and two more when the boss died like a chump.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 29, 2016

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I really enjoy being able to abuse Runic with Snowspell Strike when possible. Thanks for giving me that chance Cagnazzo.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Don't roll on the Banner... I did and I got a FF13 Partizan I already had :smith:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Even at half price this banner is a pass for me, because I have 33 mythril and I'm building up for a big pull on OK 2. I wouldn't make it if I pulled on this.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

woo black crystals :toot:

woo comically easy bahamut sin. take that, you bastard. :toot:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This event really drives home how much power creep we've had :lol:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Am I missing something, or is there a reason that two of the revenge dungeons say they cost 1 stamina, and the Bahamut Sin one says it costs 60? Is it just because SIN was an ultimate and not an Ultimate+ because that's pretty silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Attestant posted:

Guys. Guys.

Vaan BSB is really good.

Yeah I dollar pulled it on the last 12 banner and it's been a great back-up for me against any boss without elemental weaknesses. It's kind of awkward because it's the sixth or seventh best SB I have and so Vaan constantly hovers on the edge of being on or off the team.

• Locked thread