Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

And here I will flip the table on you: why do you assume representation stands in opposition to competence/good policy?

Less flippantly- I imagine this is genuinely huge on an emotional level and good for turnout among the represented group. But outside of that group I strongly doubt anyone would ever care enough to have it make a significant difference in anyone's behavior and minorities are by definition minorities. Representation is awesome but it's not a substitute for a compelling political message that transcends narrow categories.

I think the idea is that whites have an advantage, so it would be nice to make an effort to find minority candidates instead of just choosing the people who show up first (who would probably skew white).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The democrats plan going forward should be to keep shaming American citizens for various vague 'reasons' while turning a blind eye to the Saudis and their continuing human rights violations and mass war crimes upon the people of Yemen. This has been working really well for them so far.

LOL, vague reasons, sure. Nice follow-through with the America: World Police rah rah right afterwards. A++, would Republican again.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Minorities aren't by definition minorities. Women are a majority of the population. They're also a disproportionately large part of our - meaning the Democratic Party - electorate and I'm not sure why we're so quick to dismiss their concerns to appeal to white working class men. It's almost as if they're justified in not trusting us because they know we don't take their problems seriously and are content to claim that class politics alone will fix the world for them.

Representation is good and matters. It also serves a strategic electoral purpose for the party.

A majority of white women didn't vote for the white female candidate, and did vote for the giant orange sexist.

This was not because they thought the Democratic party was skewing too hard towards the interests of white working class men.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jizz Festival posted:

I think the idea is that whites have an advantage, so it would be nice to make an effort to find minority candidates instead of just choosing the people who show up first (who would probably skew white).

This is why our candidates end up being disproportionately white dudes, but it's not why we should change it. We should change it because it's been demonstrated that people want to feel represented and respond to younger and more charismatic candidates, and demonstrating a commitment to run more minority candidates would keep minority voters engaged while giving us a path to incorporate labor friendly policy into our platforms.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

LGD posted:

A majority of white women didn't vote for the white female candidate, and did vote for the giant orange sexist.

This was not because they thought the Democratic party was skewing too hard towards the interests of white working class men.

I mean, I would argue that it was because they chose race over class, which is a whole other issue nobody on the left wants to talk about because the idea that people could consistently chose race over class is terrifying.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
when the rest of us are digging through the sands for scraps of food, this thread will still provide us with hot american takes

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, I would argue that it was because they chose race over class, which is a whole other issue nobody on the left wants to talk about because the idea that people could consistently chose race over class is terrifying.

Nobody wants to talk about it because that analysis is wrong and stupid and has been done to death.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
voting for the party of "free college for entrepreneurs" and "universal health care will never happen" is not a vote for the working class, i would contend, or the left

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Lightning Knight posted:

They didn't choose race over class, because class was not even an option.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jizz Festival posted:

Nobody wants to talk about it because that analysis is wrong and stupid and has been done to death.

I see that this argument is going to keep happening in circles for the rest of time where we pretend like the Southern Strategy and backlash against desegregation never happened and that race politics aren't distinct from class politics in America.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Lightning Knight posted:

I see that this argument is going to keep happening in circles for the rest of time where we pretend like the Southern Strategy and backlash against desegregation never happened and that race politics aren't distinct from class politics in America.
Class politics were not an issue in this election because both candidates are members of the 1% and have their interests at heart.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Ahahaha

Well even putting aside how wrongheaded that is, that would seem to pose obvious issues for your proposition that gender representation is extremely important wouldn't it? And that representation in general is the path towards political success? Even if you strongly mobilize African American and Hispanic voters they only account for about as much of the population as white evangelical Christians. If whites are all monstrous racists it sure seems like you better offer them something to assemble a winning coalition.

E: and to reiterate, your understanding is laughably wrong

LGD fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 29, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So they're suppose to announce Price as HHS tomorrow. We all knew it was coming but it does not make it less stressful. I expect of course a complete repeal with a "replacement" in place in a year like a voucher program or something.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

RandomBlue posted:

LOL, vague reasons, sure. Nice follow-through with the America: World Police rah rah right afterwards. A++, would Republican again.

There's nothing 'world police' about speaking out and condemning foreign powers when they carry out human rights violations using weapons and vehicles they bought from us. I think a good idea would be to stop selling them such equipment so that they can't murder Yemeni people with them

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

cheese posted:

Class politics were not an issue in this election because both candidates are members of the 1% and have their interests at heart.
A surprisingly large number of people have managed to convince themselves that Donald J "loving" Trump is actually the candidate of the working class. They're of course wrong, but we're talking about perception here not fact.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Barack Obama also moved notably rightward after his election, and when I say that I mean that rather than surround himself with the people he was expected to, such as the many young liberals on his campaign team, his White House consisted of a lot of party faithful and old members of the Clinton White House, in much the same way that W. Bush had a lot of members of the first Bush and Reagan administrations on his team.
Barrack Obama didn't really run on an economic populist message. Certainly not one anywhere near as explicit as Sanders. Go back and read his 2004 DNC speech or any of his major campaign speeches in 08. Its all about vague opportunity and this nebulous American Dream that is always just over the next hill. Its was always all feels.

Kilroy posted:

A surprisingly large number of people have managed to convince themselves that Donald J "loving" Trump is actually the candidate of the working class. They're of course wrong, but we're talking about perception here not fact.
This is absolutely true. Trump was always less specific about his economic populism than Hillary, but the things he promised were so much bigger than Hillaries incrementalist roots would allow her.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I still remember the moment I found out he'd chosen Timothy Geitner as treasury secretary. Was my first "oh poo poo, yup, he's turning right like we thought he would" moment.

That said he'd always used vague language during the campaign that forecast the possibility of a rightward turn. It wasn't a complete surprise.

He was always pretty centrist.

The fact that so many people on the left bought into the Fox News line about how Obama was a sekrut communist was probably the leading indicator that fake news was a real thing that could shape people's opinions.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"Islam isn't a race" is the new "I'm not racist, but . . ."

It's an instant giveaway that the next thing that drops out of the speaker's mouth is going to be either massively ignorant, stupefyingly bigoted, or both.

Islam isn't s race, but I like mustard on a ham sandwich

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Price's big plan is to eliminate all the bad parts of the ACA and give people 2100 dollar flat tax credit or some poo poo for buying insurance. Oh and open up state lines for Insurance companies.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Obama was clearly to the right of Hillary back in 2008. He probably still is today. His popularity was because he wasn't connected to all the parts of Washington that killed Hillary this cycle.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hollismason posted:

Price's big plan is to eliminate all the bad parts of the ACA and give people 2100 dollar flat tax credit or some poo poo for buying insurance. Oh and open up state lines for Insurance companies.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Lol please tell me it isn't even a refundable credit :laugh:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Xae posted:

He was always pretty centrist.

The fact that so many people on the left bought into the Fox News line about how Obama was a sekrut communist was probably the leading indicator that fake news was a real thing that could shape people's opinions.

He did dial it up a bit in the 2008 election, though, since the financial crisis was in full swing and people were sick unto death of Bush. Stuff like closing Guantanamo, pushing for single-payer. But yeah, mostly he left it vague and relied on people to fill in the blanks with their own expectations.

If he meant to pursue those things seriously but was stifled by GOP resistance or was just making pleasant noises before appointing his full-on establishment cabinet, that is left to each person's discretion.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hollismason posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

I don't know what this means. :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Do the governments of 'Christian Red States' frequently execute homosexuals and 'adulterers' via beheading

They'd love to. Hell, many have tried passing laws to allow their religion the right to judge others legally. Just because they have not been able to yet does not mean they'd love to do so.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Do the governments of 'Christian Red States' frequently execute homosexuals and 'adulterers' via beheading

Our vice-president elect advocated for sexual torture of homosexuals.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It means the insured are going to get hosed.

Poor people with(out) insurance are going to get double hosed.

Selling across state lines is loving terrible because it will be a race to see which state can implement the most "gently caress Consumer" policies possible and everyone will sell there.

A single pro-consumer federal set of regulations could have the same efficiency and significantly less screwing of people.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Sephyr posted:

He did dial it up a bit in the 2008 election, though, since the financial crisis was in full swing and people were sick unto death of Bush. Stuff like closing Guantanamo, pushing for single-payer. But yeah, mostly he left it vague and relied on people to fill in the blanks with their own expectations.

If he meant to pursue those things seriously but was stifled by GOP resistance or was just making pleasant noises before appointing his full-on establishment cabinet, that is left to each person's discretion.
I think you will find that he was clearly a hard left progressive based on all of the times he went to bat for truly progressive policy positions such as

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It means if you are poor then go gently caress yourself.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

cheese posted:

I think you will find that he was clearly a hard left progressive based on all of the times he went to bat for truly progressive policy positions such as

Why waste breath?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Xae posted:

It means the insured are going to get hosed.

Poor people with(out) insurance are going to get double hosed.

Selling across state lines is loving terrible because it will be a race to see which state can implement the most "gently caress Consumer" policies possible and everyone will sell there.

A single pro-consumer federal set of regulations could have the same efficiency and significantly less screwing of people.

And Obama and the ACA will take all the blame for it.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bip Roberts posted:

Our vice-president elect advocated for sexual torture of homosexuals.

Wow I didn't know he was so kinky.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
The president-elect is spending his evening retweeting people that call out a CNN journalist by name and claim voter fraud occurred.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A) Exchanges and premium subsidies are probably out.
B) Instead of premium subsidies, enrollees will get ~$2,100 in the form of a (lol probably nonrefundable) tax credit.
C) Insurers are probably going to be required to cover preexisting conditions but only as long as the insured has no gaps in coverage.
D) Inter-state selling of policies means every insurer operates out of Wyoming who will allow them to operate at a 30% loss ratio on top of only really needing to provide catastrophic coverage to be considered comprehensive health insurance.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

zegermans posted:

Uh weren't you guys screaming about how Clinton was throwing money at unwinnable races in AZ/TX/etc and now you want them to throw money at an unwinnable race?

To be fair, before that they were laughing at Trump spending money/time on PA/WI/MI.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
lol @ all of the Trump voters who thought that he wouldn't touch their health insurance. It's gonna be a real lovely time to be poor the next couple of years

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nucleic Acids posted:

And Obama and the ACA will take all the blame for it.

The buck stops here.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I will be curious to see if they really do try to touch the pre-existing condition coverage. That was one of the really popular aspects of the ACA and if Democrats have half a brain, they will spend some real money on decent ads blasting them for it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bip Roberts posted:

Obama was clearly to the right of Hillary back in 2008. He probably still is today. His popularity was because he wasn't connected to all the parts of Washington that killed Hillary this cycle.

How was Obama to the right of Clinton? The only big policy difference between them that I remember is Clinton supported a healthcare mandate and Obama didn't.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Thanks Christ I live in Massachusetts. Mass Health is going to save my rear end.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

cheese posted:

I will be curious to see if they really do try to touch the pre-existing condition coverage. That was one of the really popular aspects of the ACA and if Democrats have half a brain, they will spend some real money on decent ads blasting them for it.

The problem with changing the ACA is that literally every part of it, other than the mandate, polls at absurd approval levels. Even the individual mandate is pretty popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FAUXTON posted:

A) Exchanges and premium subsidies are probably out.
B) Instead of premium subsidies, enrollees will get ~$2,100 in the form of a (lol probably nonrefundable) tax credit.
C) Insurers are probably going to be required to cover preexisting conditions but only as long as the insured has no gaps in coverage.
D) Inter-state selling of policies means every insurer operates out of Wyoming who will allow them to operate at a 30% loss ratio on top of only really needing to provide catastrophic coverage to be considered comprehensive health insurance.

A) Mandated exchanges, sure, so most states with a republican governor will be hosed. Most blue states will probably keep their exchanges.
B) fuuuuuck
C)This makes zero sense, the whole problem with pre-existing conditions was coverage gaps. My bet is the rule will stay as is, which is actually bad in this scenario.
D)fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

• Locked thread