Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

Unfortunately that won't stop idiots across the country from clamoring for him to save their program

(Please tell me this has happened at places beyond Nebraska in the past five years; I'm drawing a blank)

Julie Hermann's plan three years ago if the boosters hadn't refused to give her a dime were either Bob Diaco or somehow, Jim Tressel.

It's a really good thing that didn't happen although keeping Flood for two more years was just as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I want scientists to invent a 24/7 feed into the back of my head like in The Matrix, but instead of a computer generated facsimile of 20th century Earth it only pumps Coach O's unintelligible press conferences for the next three years directly to my brain.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Coach O Playbook

Chapter 1: Recruitin'

Me and ol' Slinky were diggin' around near the ol' abandoned shack over there and I said to him Slinky we can't go there, we was told not to go there by my maw, she said eddie i don't care if you're the size of Driskill Mountain because you are a big boy there, but you stay 'way from that shack, eddie, that's not for you, but Slinky wouldn't hear it he just said to me you know what's in that shack, probably a bunch of dead ol' alligators or a rusted out airboat engine which wasn't fair because he knew i was collectin' 'em, i had dozens of airboat motors rustin' all over the lawn and paw would come by and say ed you get those cleaned up outta here now or i'll whup up on you in that hamburger drill and there won't be no coach telling me he needs you next saturday do you hear me boy, so i said fine we can take a little peek over there, the metal had warped and rusted over the years and there was a curled up corner and i tried to get into it but it cut up my back pretty bad, like a metal nettle just carvin' it up, bleedin' all through the shirt and i said slinky you dumb ol' bastard i'm gonna get whupped up real good, my mom's gonna get the wadin' boots and but i didn't hear anything from him, slink i said, slink you dumb possum quit messin' around in there but i didn't hear nothin' more and i couldn't get in the shack because i was too big and i said slink i'm too huge

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

what did i just read

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

Coach O Playbook

Me and ol' Slinky were diggin' around near the ol' abandoned shack over there and I said to him Slinky we can't go there, we was told not to go there by my maw, she said eddie i don't care if you're the size of Driskill Mountain because you are a big boy there, but you stay 'way from that shack, eddie, that's not for you, but Slinky wouldn't hear it he just said to me you know what's in that shack, probably a bunch of dead ol' alligators or a rusted out airboat engine which wasn't fair because he knew i was collectin' 'em, i had dozens of airboat motors rustin' all over the lawn and paw would come by and say ed you get those cleaned up outta here now or i'll whup up on you in that hamburger drill and there won't be no coach telling me he needs you next saturday do you hear me boy, so i said fine we can take a little peek over there, the metal had warped and rusted over the years and there was a curled up corner and i tried to get into it but it cut up my back pretty bad, like a metal nettle just carvin' it up, bleedin' all through the shirt and i said slinky you dumb ol' bastard i'm gonna get whupped up real good, my mom's gonna get the wadin' boots and but i didn't hear anything from him, slink i said, slink you dumb possum quit messin' around in there but i didn't hear nothin' more and i couldn't get in the shack because i was too big and i said slink i'm too huge

I had to stop reading twice because I was laughing so hard.

Is that from something?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

I had to stop reading twice because I was laughing so hard.

Is that from something?

i stole the concept from this
http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/ask-a-faulknerian-idiot-man-child-12248

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Oregon247 says Florida’s McElwain is a target for them to replace Helfrich

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

pillsburysoldier posted:

That's stupid for a number of reasons.

MourningView posted:

Even with the extension I think he should be pretty high on Oregon's list, assuming he'd be willing/able to find a good OC. They're probably gonna look for someone with HC experience though.

I don't expect him to go anywhere this offseason, but he's gone within a couple of years unless Orgeron gets fired and he gets promoted. Or if his defenses suddenly turn to garbage I guess.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

It's a shame The Onion stopped doing these. "Ask an Elderly Black Woman as Written by a Sophomore Creative Writing Major" is my favorite.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

:shrug:

gently caress it, man

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

R.D. Mangles posted:

Coach O Playbook

:five: :five: :five: :five:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

pillsburysoldier posted:

Uhhh.. what

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
'A Target' meaning someone they want, who will turn them down.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

R.D. Mangles posted:

Coach O Playbook

holy poo poo lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Regnevelc posted:

'A Target' meaning someone they want, who will turn them down.

I can't decide if I'd be sad he left.

Not sure who we'd go after though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

I can't decide if I'd be sad he left.

Not sure who we'd go after though.

Morris or Fleck maybe? Bring Sprudog out of retirement for a year or so until a real good candidate pops up? Charlie Strong?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

Morris or Fleck maybe? Bring Sprudog out of retirement for a year or so until a real good candidate pops up? Charlie Strong?

I don't know anything anymore. I feel like the coaching pool is weak. Strong? Morris would be in over his head I think. Throw cash at Holgo? His riverboat offense fits the bill.

I was so hopeful for Mac, and maybe he really is just a QB away from making it happen--but goddamn, that offense is a dog. Like a dog with fleas. And AIDS.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm just so happy Ed Orgeron is the head coach of LSU. I'm not super invested in the team but I hope he sticks around a long time because personality-wise, I can't imagine a better coach-program combo than Ed Orgeron at LSU.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

I don't know anything anymore. I feel like the coaching pool is weak. Strong? Morris would be in over his head I think. Throw cash at Holgo? His riverboat offense fits the bill.

I was so hopeful for Mac, and maybe he really is just a QB away from making it happen--but goddamn, that offense is a dog. Like a dog with fleas. And AIDS.

I think people are underestimating how much of a mess that side of the ball was when Muschamp left. Remember last year Florida only had 5 scholarship OL. Even if you recruit that heavily, you are looking at true freshmen to shore it up, which is probably the position that is hardest for an 18 year old kid to step into. Hell, it usually takes two years just to get them up to proper weight. There are some good players, but absolutely no depth and of course the ongoing QB struggles. I think next year you should at least see the line being better at the run game and hopefully a good QB comes along.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Who is is this Derek P guy?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

I think people are underestimating how much of a mess that side of the ball was when Muschamp left. Remember last year Florida only had 5 scholarship OL. Even if you recruit that heavily, you are looking at true freshmen to shore it up, which is probably the position that is hardest for an 18 year old kid to step into. Hell, it usually takes two years just to get them up to proper weight. There are some good players, but absolutely no depth and of course the ongoing QB struggles. I think next year you should at least see the line being better at the run game and hopefully a good QB comes along.

Conversely there will be no defense to bail them out so we will found out in a hurry.

I get that the offense was a mess. I've watched it in excruciating and agonizing detail for like 6 years.

But it is pretty incredible to watch guys walk into godawful garbage heap situations elsewhere and put together a working offense. UF has regressed since last year (incredibly, I might add) from the TREON HARRIS EXPERIENCE.

I'm nauseated typing it.

But anyways, I'm sure I'm being impatient and he'll leave and I'll be cool with it and he'll roll up multiple titles with UO like the Cam Newton of coaches and I'll be sick about it and the cycle will continue.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who is is this Derek P guy?

"Special Assistant to the Head Coach" apparently.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 29, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm gobsmacked as to how Florida can go from one of the most exciting offenses in the country with guys like Tebow and Harvin, to the unwatchable garbage it is now.

That can't all be coaching, can it? Did they lose the state's top dynamic playmaker recruits to FSU or something?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Benne posted:

I'm gobsmacked as to how Florida can go from one of the most exciting offenses in the country with guys like Tebow and Harvin, to the unwatchable garbage it is now.

That can't all be coaching, can it? Did they lose the state's top dynamic playmaker recruits to FSU or something?

Dalvin Cook was committed to UF for over a year then switched to FSU either the week before or on Signing Day.

One of many spectacular offensive recruiting whiffs by Muschamp. He also left us with 6 scholarship OL--so few that we couldn't have a spring game last year.

But yeah, even so its a goddamned shitshow--even against our FCS cupcakes we look bad on O.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Lane Kiffin to Florida. Charlie Strong named new DC.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Lane Kiffin to Florida. Charlie Strong named new DC.

Oh jesus gently caress Lane

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Oh jesus gently caress Lane

it's time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAsxnRaTAg

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Florida hiring Kiffin or Strong fresh off him bombing at Texas would be an Extremely SEC Move.

I don't really get people's infatuation with Morris either. I get he was a good OC and SMU isn't a great job but so far he's been significantly worse than June Jones was there. Baylor is kind of a beggers can't be choosers thing I guess but otherwise it makes no sense. maybe wait until he actually wins something

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Florida hiring Kiffin or Strong fresh off him bombing at Texas would be an Extremely SEC Move.

I don't really get people's infatuation with Morris either. I get he was a good OC and SMU isn't a great job but so far he's been significantly worse than June Jones was there. Baylor is kind of a beggers can't be choosers thing I guess but otherwise it makes no sense. maybe wait until he actually wins something

Rumor is that he turned Baylor down. He wanted $4.9 million, Baylor didn't offer as much.

Apparently the biggest reason why Kingsbury is coaching at Tech instead of Morris is that he asked for more money beyond what we would pay him... for his assistants.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

If Mac somehow leaves for Oregon, Lane is the logical conclusion to this lovely decade of UF football

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Not that I think he'd be anyone's first choices for the jobs we're currently discussing, but is the shine completely off of Matt Rhule? I remember it was rumored Mizzou wanted him last year (and I believe it) and couldn't get him.

Just seems like his name hasn't come up much in this thread.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

Not that I think he'd be anyone's first choices for the jobs we're currently discussing, but is the shine completely off of Matt Rhule? I remember it was rumored Mizzou wanted him last year (and I believe it) and couldn't get him.

Just seems like his name hasn't come up much in this thread.

Temple looked bad early this year which I think took him off a lot of people's radar but they've been really good the last few months. And Fleck became the hot new mid major name dejour so he's gonna get mentioned first until someone hires him. Some of it is also regional, Rhule would probably come up more if there was a G5 job in the Northeast open since that's where he's spent most of his career (if Penn State hadn't exploded down the stretch he'd definitely be on their list to replace Franklin, I think). Maybe if Adazzio gets canned at BC or something. So far most of the hot seat talk has been in Texas or the south and Texas in particular has become super insular in terms of looking for people with connections to the area who run a particular style of offense, which I guess is how you get Chad Morris' name coming up even though he's never even finished .500

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 29, 2016

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

DJExile posted:

The noise around Tress has actually been pretty much non-existent. He took the show-cause in stride and seems to be pretty content as YSU's president. Obviously not a bad gig by any means but he's shown zero interest in doing anything outside of it.

How in the gently caress does a football coach become president of the university? Don't you normally have to work your way up through the academic world for that? This university was just like "hey dat dere guy was good at coaching football. less maik him precedent"?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

DrunkPanda posted:

How in the gently caress does a football coach become president of the university? Don't you normally have to work your way up through the academic world for that? This university was just like "hey dat dere guy was good at coaching football. less maik him precedent"?

I am not sure how out of the ordinary it is, Mitch Daniels is president of Purdue based solely on him being Governor.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

DrunkPanda posted:

Didn''t the president of Mizzou go there for like undergrad and then his (computer) work pushed him to Harvard for a MBA? Then he ruined a bunch of things for no reason other than being a corporate hack?

I mean, I know why be won - he had a plan to make the students more employable to shifting into computer science/engineering focus with input from tech companies and also he was a shill. But a hefty majority of a president's job is to beg for money.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm actually a bit surprised that I haven't heard more smoke about Washington's coordinators being poached. OC Jonathan Smith has a smartly balanced offensive gameplan that accentuates everyone's strengths while hiding their weaknesses, and DC Pete Kwiatkowski still has the defense playing at a high level even after losing his best pass rusher and best LB to injury.

This Huskies squad is arguably not a playoff team on paper, but they've been coached up exceptionally well. Yeah, a lot of that goes to Petersen, but it's a bit strange that his coordinators don't get more shine.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 29, 2016

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wonder if having a new AD would be motivation for Mac to leave...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Coach O Playbook

Why does Coach O know what a mountain is? Why would he specifically know about a place called Driskill mountain? Let me present to you the terrain of the part of Louisiana that DACOACHO comes from:
-------------------------------------------water-----------------------------------------------

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Benne posted:

I'm actually a bit surprised that I haven't heard more smoke about Washington's coordinators being poached. OC Jonathan Smith has a smartly balanced offensive gameplan that accentuates everyone's strengths while hiding their weaknesses, and DC Pete Kwiatkowski still has the defense playing at a high level even after losing his best pass rusher and best LB to injury.

This Huskies squad is arguably not a playoff team on paper, but they've been coached up exceptionally well. Yeah, a lot of that goes to Petersen, but it's a bit strange that his coordinators don't get more shine.
They'd probably get HC positions, and there really aren't any HC positions out west they could probably gun for. They've both spent their entire lives in the pacific northwest so I figure there aren't a ton of great fits outside Oregon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Eltoasto posted:

I am not sure how out of the ordinary it is, Mitch Daniels is president of Purdue based solely on him being Governor.

I don't think his value is boiled down solely to his eight years as governor. He was a business exec and was Bush's budget director until things flew off the rails with the Iraq invasion. Big universities are starting to recognize that academics aren't always the best leaders.

• Locked thread