Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Colgate posted:

I sort of agree with about some of the story not being really told well with this medium, but without heavy WoW-style phasing, I'm not sure how you'd make that work. I'm not sure how FFXIV does it, and I know The Secret World doesn't do it.

I also agree that a lot of chapter 3s just feel like we're just wasting some time before their endgame, because every class has to do Belsavis, Voss and Corellia, and basically have to do gymnastics for reasons for the character to go there (I feel like the Sith Inquisitor was guilty of this, but I'm not sure).

I played with my brother before this XP thing went into high gear, and we ended up doing most of the regular missions on the planet because it was a pain in the rear end to level up if you got tired of Warzones or Kuat Drive Yard runs on an alt or something.

Having the story veer off into other planets for other classes would just make it impossible to find a group, already making the huge MMO they wanted to do, wind up empty from the very beginning. So they pretty much made it so that every planet everybody had to go to for different reasons, and people would tag along if they wanted to or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
As KOTET looms nearer and nearer, I remind people...

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

DON'T POST SPOILERS IN GUILD CHAT OR ON THE FORUMS.

In Discord I made a "Spoilers" channel if you want to talk there.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Colgate posted:

I sort of agree with about some of the story not being really told well with this medium, but without heavy WoW-style phasing, I'm not sure how you'd make that work. I'm not sure how FFXIV does it, and I know The Secret World doesn't do it.

I also agree that a lot of chapter 3s just feel like we're just wasting some time before their endgame, because every class has to do Belsavis, Voss and Corellia, and basically have to do gymnastics for reasons for the character to go there (I feel like the Sith Inquisitor was guilty of this, but I'm not sure).

You do it by releasing the game as a non-MMO. Hell, you could release an Empire and a Republic version and have each of the four protagonists form a party.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I can see them turning on some kind of xp bonus to class story missions but I really wouldn't be relying on however many hours the xp buff says it has left.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
RIP all my alts when 200% xp goes away.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

phosdex posted:

I can see them turning on some kind of xp bonus to class story missions but I really wouldn't be relying on however many hours the xp buff says it has left.

They did add a bonus, a year ago. You now only have to do class and planetary arc, or you can sub in warzones or flashpoints for planetary arc. You essentially earn 6x the XP you did two years ago for just doing the story. And since level sync is in place you never outlevel the planet you're on, meaning you still get good XP. The 200% XP is nice but it's definitely not needed to level super quickly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Prism posted:

I thought it would last longer too, but apparently it won't.

I'm fuming.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fargin Icehole posted:

While Sith Warrior was one of the best stories the game can offer, I do agree with you Sassassin, in that, most of it falls apart (or loses it's significance) when you can simply put it off and go back to doing other stuff because the game's greatest hindrance is that it got developed into an MMO just to try to compete with World of Warcraft.

You occasionally read interviews with videogame writers where they talk about the medium "getting in the way of the story they wanted to tell" (prompting moves to increasingly cinematic & linear formats), which is a completely backwards way of approaching a project.

There are plenty of compelling stories that can be written within the structure of your typical theme park mmo, you just have to resist the urge to make the player The Chosen One, ending conflicts forever wherever they go. Don't do a timeskip/imprisonment/believed dead/wounded or lost companion beat unless you're capable of backing it up in gameplay.

Identify the strengths of the system (multiplayer, big world with lots of quest-givers to find, gripping 'make your numbers bigger' character building) and write stories that encourage engagement with those strengths. If grinding xp is considered important to progression, encourage grinding through the writing. If you've spent time writing 30 quests on a planet, don't make one questline a non-stop race against time through just 5 of them (at least not on every planet, it can be fun when it doesn't cause problems). When you're quest structure is dependent on going where you're told, when you're told, don't pretend the player exists outside a chain of command, even if we all want to be Han Solo (and wear the traditional garb of Old Corellia).

SWTOR has a decent success rate overall. I was without Jorgan for an entire intermission. KOTFE cuts you off from a lot of content in the now past. The Consular quest on Balmorra explicitly encourages helping out the rebellion whenever you can. The Trooper never gives you a reason to question why these idiots are on your ship (because it's not your call, soldier).

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

As KOTET looms nearer and nearer, I remind people...

DON'T POST SPOILERS IN GUILD CHAT OR ON THE FORUMS.

In Discord I made a "Spoilers" channel if you want to talk there.

Corridor after corridor of Skytroopers.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Roughly what time does the expansion drop? I've set up remote desktop so that I can install it while I'm at work :v:

E: welp answered my own question. 4pm GMT maintenance is due to end https://twitter.com/SWTOR/status/803406325501849601

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I just needed Czerka Labs to get champion and eternal, and the group leader DC'd on the final door cutscene and bugged it out causing the whole thing to be impassable. Then no matchmaking happened for an hour. Then the server goes down.

Oh well, that's what I get for trying. :smith:

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah. Same here, pretty much. Not enough time to do all of the requirements, and when I finally got some time nothing came together. So much for that whole event.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
To be fair it has been running for months now.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Not all of us have been subbed for that time though. Only reason I came back is because the new guy at work i really into SWTOR and that fired up my nostalgia for the game.
Managed to get Eternal, but no way I was getting Legendary since Gree didn't run at all since I resubbed :smith:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

HiveCommander posted:

Not all of us have been subbed for that time though. Only reason I came back is because the new guy at work i really into SWTOR and that fired up my nostalgia for the game.
Managed to get Eternal, but no way I was getting Legendary since Gree didn't run at all since I resubbed :smith:

For as much as I thought it over, Legendary just felt like too much work for the rewards involved compared to the other tiers. As much as I do like mount and title collecting, the tank mount looked too clunky and I'm more enamored with my Speaker for the Dead title than being able to click a Legendary Victor title up.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
FYI it looks like people are able to download the patch now, though servers aren't due to open for another 90 minutes.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, downloading something at least.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Anyone else have all their DvL achievements wiped clean? Just logged in and I was up to Eternal and now I'm at 0%

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

Anyone else have all their DvL achievements wiped clean? Just logged in and I was up to Eternal and now I'm at 0%

Servers are actually up on time? There's a first.

That should be fixed soon, I assume enough people will complain that we'll get emergency patch #1 tomorrow

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

yeah servers are up. I got shae and the walker mount in mail but not the other dvl stuff yet.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Medullah posted:

That should be fixed soon, I assume enough people will complain that we'll get emergency patch #1 tomorrow

Yeah I figured it's just some patch weirdness. I still have my message in my mailbox saying "Grats on hitting eternal!!" so I'm not too worried.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I always expect things to go wrong on patch day.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

phosdex posted:

yeah servers are up. I got shae and the walker mount in mail but not the other dvl stuff yet.

Really? They weren't supposed to be delivered until Friday. Craziness!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Sad I missed out on the DvL speeder. drat RL and having to spend months studying for exams. :smith:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yeah my clever plan to solo my way through the story flashpoints died when i remember that i got into this late and didnt really feel like dedicating my existence to this game. oh well, my pixel-life is incomplete.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

According to the forums, the DvL achievments have been wiped clean in case they decide to ever do the event again. It won't effect the rewards you qualified for.

Edited to add: Link http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9130481#edit9130481

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

According to the forums, the DvL achievments have been wiped clean in case they decide to ever do the event again. It won't effect the rewards you qualified for.

Affect, this guild uses proper grammer, space-dammit.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Affect, this guild uses proper grammer, space-dammit.

In my defense, I plead the 'Still getting caffeinated' cause. And naturally there's people raging about the DvL reset on the forums as if it completely negated all they did and disqualifies them from the rewards they earned.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Swear to loving god if they run that event again and make us redo it I will do a murder.
Also does this mean I'm going to have a big ugly 0% in my achievement panel?! aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yes, goooooood. Let the completionist-sperg flow through you!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I wouldn't mind seeing it again and doing it from the start date rather then a month before ending.

Would also be cool if they had a sort of cooldown where the event ends, so you can finish up say up to the eternal level if you have already completed like 75% of it. So you can't start if you haven't already, but if you have, you have a little extra time to complete it before everything officially gets wiped out.

A guy can dream. :(

(Now I can with actual sleep vs the rush to finish )

^Though it will drive me nuts only having 40% of the 50% armor. :argh:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I'd be up to doing it again if they redo it, but definitely making adjustments from what I learned doing the event this go. I pretty much endurance ran the event from the day it started because they were pretty vague as to when it'd end when it started and I wanted to get as much done before classes started because I wasn't sure how much free time I'd have at that point. Granted, the mostly stuck in the house over summer healing up from a bad fall contributed to that as well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
hey dont forget to re-spend all your combat proficiency points

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Medullah posted:

They should fix it by setting everyone to DvL Legendary :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

If KotET has as many trash bullshit spawns and inordinately and unnecessarily long slogs through them for stupid mundane bullshit tasks as KotFE did, it can gently caress off. It was even more obnoxious than anything in the default stories or Hutt/SoR. Last night while trying to speed through as much of KotFE as possible to try to get Champion it was downright miserable getting through all those Heralds of Zildrag and stupid loving elevators and trams... The team that designed Chapter 7 should seriously be waterboarded with cold diarrhea and urine. :argh:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Fuzz posted:

If KotET has as many trash bullshit spawns and inordinately and unnecessarily long slogs through them for stupid mundane bullshit tasks as KotFE did, it can gently caress off. It was even more obnoxious than anything in the default stories or Hutt/SoR. Last night while trying to speed through as much of KotFE as possible to try to get Champion it was downright miserable getting through all those Heralds of Zildrag and stupid loving elevators and trams... The team that designed Chapter 7 should seriously be waterboarded with cold diarrhea and urine. :argh:

The worst part is how much of this poo poo you can't actually stealth by

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The worst part is how much of this poo poo you can't actually stealth by

That really bugged me with my Agent. It was me and Kaliyo, back together again, sneaking around bad guys and -- wait, why am I in combat? I'm invisible! :qq:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Truth right here. The whole story was awesome and seemed to fly through the early chapters with little bits in between story cutscenes which I was ok with, then you had to go miles away to look for water, followed by all those drat Skytrooper blockades just slowing your progress from this end to that, and the fun wore off a bit.

It's like they thought, "Oh crap, the chapters are too short. How do we make them longer? I Got it! More Skytroopers and Zildrag!"

I have been learning how to play this game all over again with this event, so if I had actually played more before it or something, I might have been able to properly blitz through it rather than waste time doing things that are the normal noob method of quest, story, etc. Hell even last night with some of you guys doing Heroics rather than just doing Flashpoints instead to tackle two birds with 1 stone but eh, live and learn. Now I can learn the new stuff from the patch, and go back and figure out how the hell crafting works in this game or something, and pick a class for my SW maybe. :v:

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 29, 2016

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

yeah my clever plan to solo my way through the story flashpoints died when i remember that i got into this late and didnt really feel like dedicating my existence to this game. oh well, my pixel-life is incomplete.

I did everything up to the companion reward and I don't think it was worth the grind. The companion will have to be Vette/Mako/Blizz levels of awesome to be worth the trouble, and my drive to finish the xp armor set was baffling considering I don't have any plans to level any more characters. It did get me to finally buckle down and finish KotFE on a character, but the story wasn't that good. Hopefully KotET will be better.

Question for imperial agent & the later KotFE chapters: How does the SCORPIO stuff play out with an agent? Is it one small scene where she acknowledges you worked together, then business as usual for the rest of the story? Any good scenes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm just glad I got the full set of the exp armor. That was the one must have thing from DvL, and if you missed out on it that really sucks for you because that set is stupidly hilarious for making alts.

• Locked thread