Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I feel like I would have loved Saltzpyre's buffed axe if it had come a few months ago, or if I played Cataclysm regularly. I finally got gud enough to headshot regularly with the rapier, so the advantage of one-shotting individual small rats quickly is subsumed by the rapier's ability to do that and also have a sidearm and ability to cleave.

I will say this, decapitating stormvermin with the NewAxe (tm) is a lot of fun.

I'm so glad they finally gave all characters the ability to run fast while blocking. Now we can have dwarfs and soldiers running ahead of the team and dying alone instead of only elfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have discovered the true key to the Dual-daggers and that is that you are doing a driveby on the rats, but with knives. You should be dodging as much or more than blocking and constantly strafing around stabbing every face that gets close.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Night10194 posted:

I have discovered the true key to the Dual-daggers and that is that you are doing a driveby on the rats, but with knives. You should be dodging as much or more than blocking and constantly strafing around stabbing every face that gets close.

vermintide version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbURcBm5Erg

now all we need is an ideal homies store in LOS SANTOS

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Where do goons hang out for ratfight these days, anyway? I check the mumble occasionally but there's no-one on. Did we move to another program?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The goonintide steam group.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The new changes are pretty goddamn cool and I'm glad I can do more than groan at getting arming sword and single axes now, good poo poo Fatshark, now gimme that sweet Karak Azgaraz action. (I say when I'm still too poor to even have Drachenfels :v:)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
OK, thanks for the reassurance. It just seemed pretty unclear as to what exactly they were doing except adding FF to literally every BW staff, and I read a post upthread about how that just turned the BW into a massive liability. If that's not the case then that's good to hear, if only cos the BW is the only class I have any real loot for and the one who's dialogue I enjoy the most :shobon:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

how not to be a liability as the bright wizard:

1. don't fire poo poo right at your teammates
2. use a melee weapon for things sometimes

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Johnny Joestar posted:

3. when the time comes for glorious jihad, charge the rats, not your team

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Brain Curry posted:

Any tips for going from Hard to Nightmare? I'm down to a couple missions left to do on Hard and then I want to try going up in difficulty.

Don't shoot your allies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Johnny Joestar posted:

Also note your melee weapon just got buffed too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

sienna is gonna play a lot different with the new changes, that is for goddamn sure. she's traditionally been the team's best striker because she could deal a ton of damage without exposing herself to any real danger, but that's gonna change for sure now. difficult to say precisely how it'll change, but her poo poo is flexible enough that i'm sure people who play her a lot are going to figure out ways to be effective pretty soon.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

A lot of bright wizards waste time/heat shooting at rats that are right in front of an ally, which are the worst rats to be shooting. Trust your teammates to handle the threats they're aware of, and spend your time shooting distant enemies, unseen threats and stragglers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Coolguye posted:

sienna is gonna play a lot different with the new changes, that is for goddamn sure. she's traditionally been the team's best striker because she could deal a ton of damage without exposing herself to any real danger, but that's gonna change for sure now. difficult to say precisely how it'll change, but her poo poo is flexible enough that i'm sure people who play her a lot are going to figure out ways to be effective pretty soon.

My buddy who loves Sienna above all other PCs has been nothing but more useful since the balance changes because he's really goddamn good with the new fireball staff and the buffed melee.

Also, I just went through a Castle Drachenfels run that had absolutely no healing except the guaranteed pre-loaded ones right before the statues (and only 2 of those) and a couple in the recovery room before the escape. That was fun.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Also, I just went through a Castle Drachenfels run that had absolutely no healing except the guaranteed pre-loaded ones right before the statues (and only 2 of those) and a couple in the recovery room before the escape. That was fun.

that was basically how an engines of war NM run went with me, sykic, and two other guys from goonintide. sykic and i were soviet starring it up and neither of our healing procs would hit for ANYTHING.

ask us about our mounting dread as we fought on with one hit left between the two of us.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also holy christ are the dual daggers amazing, I do not know how anyone does not like a weapon whose entire MO is spazzing out at infinity rats while dodging everything they do.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Reinstalled this last weekend and played a few games. Had forgotten how visceral and fun it was. The quest board is a great addition, really ties the room together. Threw down some bucks for Drachenfels, but haven't tried any of its levels yet. I could play Wizard's Tower over and over and over again and not get bored of it. Maybe my favorite level in any videogame.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My friends refused to do the Star of the Sisterhood quests.

They all rolled it over this last week, naturally. Communism is historically inevitable. :ussr:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

we are the luckiest guys who have ever played vermintide, fite me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWrxnZUSe4g

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer
So I am about to buy this game. Can someone give me a rundown on how it plays?

Is there a lobby to choose to play with a team? Does the player have a base to chill in between games to chat etc. with others?

Can new players contribute in a game with bitter vets?

Are Pubs necessary or can they be ignored?

Are the servers run by players or are they centrally? I'm European so as most goons are US, will I be lagged to all poo poo most of the time?

Can someone compare it to Warframe as that's what I spent most of my co-op shooty-killy time in.

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012

Rap Three Times posted:

Can someone compare it to Warframe as that's what I spent most of my co-op shooty-killy time in.

It has almost nothing in common with warframe besides the 4 man co-op. But they are both action packed kill-poo poo-simulators.

Warframe is all about grinding out grind in order to grind more weapon grind, and a ridiculous amount of shooty-man weapons to grind for. (not to say it's not fun I have like 600 hours in it)

Vermintide is all about the minute to minute gameplay and good teamwork. You're not just shooting things as fast as possible, you're playing through the maps intelligently and working together to avoid special mobs from murdering you. It's very much like Left 4 Dead. At higher difficulties you NEED teamwork and communication because one special can ruin the entire run if it hits somebody at the right (wrong) time. It has a limited arsenal compared to warframe but (as of the next patch) all the weapons are fun and have their purpose.

The grind used to be horrible to get good weapons but now it's reasonable. You get weapons from completing missions based on RNG and certain pickups during the missions which make the run harder but give you better rolls at the end. You can salvage weapons for materials, and use materials to make, upgrade, or reroll weapons. Every character has a different weapon loadout. There are also trinkets which are another type of gear you can equip for different effects, and are universal between characters. The grind is mostly in getting the perfect rolls on the weapons you want. But there's also a quest & contract system that allows you to go after specific rewards.

Missions are started from a lobby which is home base, a physical tavern where you can walk around, have access to all the different equipment upgrades and functions, change characters. You hang out between missions and mess with your equipment, pick quests, and wait for more players to join.

Gameplay is almost entirely skill-based. Yeah a player with max weapons has an easier time, but if you're good at the game and can follow directions, even a new player can kick rat rear end. It's all about the teamwork and skill with the various weapons. The game is melee oriented, and generally ranged weapons are used to kill specials but some have enough ammo to be used more regularly. The melee combat is very satisfying though. It's the highlight of the game. Crushing rat skulls with a 2 handed hammer never gets old. Neither does lopping off heads with a sword.

Pubs are fine on lower difficulties but at the highest (Nightmare and Cataclysm) they are dubious at best. Missions are not too hard, but random specials can ruin the day, and if you pick up grimoires, which take up a potion slot for whoever carries it and lower everyone's maximum health, you can get better rolls at the end. This makes the mission much harder and pubbies are more likely to gently caress you over for various reasons. Game is best enjoyed with a solid party of four friends or people you meet while playing and aren't poo poo.

Servers are all hosted by the party leader when starting a mission. I haven't had too much trouble with player lag from people outside the USA. I can't really speak for that but I don't think Euro players should have a problem. The netcode is pretty solid and game runs very smoothly.

Hope all that helps your decision.

Death by Chickens fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 29, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm really going to miss the reworked weapons until they come back.

I hope Fatshark don't listen to all the whining aimbot stick shitters.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The beta is over and we must all suffer the lack of 1.5 balance goodness again.

Also Devastating Blow is going to be unnerfed in the future.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Elf Weapons all being good rather than Sword and Dagger/Glaive being her only worthwhile ones is what I will miss the most.

That, and the Arming Sword. I have one with Swift Slaying Charged, Bloodlust, and Devastating Blow. During the 1.5 stuff, that thing was an actual competitor for my Zweihander.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Darke GBF posted:

Reinstalled this last weekend and played a few games. Had forgotten how visceral and fun it was. The quest board is a great addition, really ties the room together. Threw down some bucks for Drachenfels, but haven't tried any of its levels yet. I could play Wizard's Tower over and over and over again and not get bored of it. Maybe my favorite level in any videogame.

Agreed, the musics cool too (game has a neat soundtrack in general)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Agreed, the musics cool too (game has a neat soundtrack in general)

Jesper Kyd is good at music.

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer

Death by Chickens posted:

Hope all that helps your decision.

Ok, I'll give it a go thanks. I'm already in the Goonintide group because of Spacehulk but I'll post my ign here when I have it.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Is the Arming Sword identical to the non-fiery Bright Wizard sword, or just very similar?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zephro posted:

Is the Arming Sword identical to the non-fiery Bright Wizard sword, or just very similar?

I think Kruber swings a little faster than Sienna.

Otherwise, yes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would disagree on gameplay being almost entirely skill based--skill matters more than anything else, and you absolutely can (and should) start by playing on Hard, but the color of your weapon simply makes so much of a difference in whether you're killing things in 1/2/3 hits that for a player of average skill, trying to play Nightmare with white or green weapons is going to be a bad time. I think Hard is the best difficulty for new players because the kid gloves are off but they can still absolutely contribute and not feel like they are being carried.

My experience with pubbies is positive overall, as you move up in difficulty there are a lot more players who know what they are doing. You'll bump into crews that do two grimoires on cataclysm with no trouble. Just make sure you don't fall into the goon trap of ranting about how bad the pubbies in your game are when they are actually the better players. And this game's community is not massive, so you're probably going to be playing with them like it or not.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Pubbie skill is pretty feast or famine. Its half my fault because I take good team mates for granted. I'll end up leaving people behind because I think it's important to move fast during a finale

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're

Lunethex posted:

The beta is over and we must all suffer the lack of 1.5 balance goodness again.

Also Devastating Blow is going to be unnerfed in the future.

A goon promised that the patch would be released today, and in my innocence I reinstalled the game overnight.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Night10194 posted:

I think Kruber swings a little faster than Sienna.

Otherwise, yes.
Thanks. I should really play some games in the Goon group...

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

A goon promised that the patch would be released today, and in my innocence I reinstalled the game overnight.

Yeah, sorry about that. We didn't expect a 'Phase 2' based on patch histories and I should have remembered to post about that when it came up yesterday. As a result we have no idea when "Phase 2" (if there will be one) will come up or when the release will actually happen. The two days before and after a weekend are usually when we get news.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

So what play it anyway.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Digirat posted:

So what play it anyway.

Someone asked a few pages ago when they could reinstall without having to waste data for their cap.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was kinda hoping it would have released today. oh well. :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok point. However without downloading the beta and having to go back to the normal version, it shouldn't be a massive increase compared to just installing after the update.

It's probably good they didn't release the DLC today anyway because it's tuesday, so it's going to be DC hell anyway

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Digirat posted:

Ok point. However without downloading the beta and having to go back to the normal version, it shouldn't be a massive increase compared to just installing after the update.

It's probably good they didn't release the DLC today anyway because it's tuesday, so it's going to be DC hell anyway

I got DCd after rolling an orange sword and dagger (first elf orange) on an all tome all grim run, and then riiiiiiight as it was opening up I got the "lost connection to steam servers" screen instead of seeing what it had. It still counted, but dang that was brutal.

I finally have the soldier, dwarf, and BW all in a good place equipment-wise, all with the communism star, and its so nice now. I can be basically useful now in any given nightmare lobby and that's a good feeling to feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Willie Tomg posted:

I finally have the soldier, dwarf, and BW all in a good place equipment-wise, all with the communism star, and its so nice now. I can be basically useful now in any given nightmare lobby and that's a good feeling to feel.

Be very careful leaving the communism star on characters you aren't currently playing. You'll be hosting some game, someone will drop, and suddenly your life is tied to a bot with a death wish.

• Locked thread