Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
For most of us itt 25% travel is way on the low end. And if the other 75% is working from home? That's the dream, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
25% travel is enough to break up the monotony of sitting at home all day every day, but not enough travel to get you cool perks and lots of miles/points/whatever to spend on personal stuff. And if you have lovely travel policies at work, that 25% will be even less enjoyable.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Working from home is amazing. Do that. But definitely find out more info on the travel policy. Travel can be fun or a nightmare depending on that.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It also really depends on where you have to travel as well. Are you going to be going to just a few places on a regular basis that are 1 hop flights away from your home airport? Or are you going to be doing transcon flights with multiple stops to lovely little podunk towns where Applebees is the fanciest place there is?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Travel policy and destinations would be the big ones I'd want to know more about.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Thanks for the input. Destinations would be repeats, likely in California, and only one place for the whole week. Many of their clients are in San Francisco, but not all of them. Unfortunately they're a small startup and they don't have a written travel policy, which is something their new VP of Engineering said she's looking to fix. Generally it's fly out Monday, return Friday, and they handle scheduling the flights I think. Don't know if that's good or bad. I asked every engineer I spoke to and they all said that travel was fine and they were flexible about scheduling (one of the engineers hasn't traveled in 6 months).

Noctone posted:

For most of us itt 25% travel is way on the low end. And if the other 75% is working from home? That's the dream, dude.
Yeah I felt a little silly asking this thread about 25% travel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That sounds like it's fairly civil, you're only doing transcons and you can settle in nicely. You can probably take Virgin if you don't like The New American Airlines.

No written travel policy is usually better than having a written travel policy.

edit: also get a sense of the schedule. My firm tells the kids that it's 25% travel, but that usually seems to mean 25% of the year it's 100% travel, and then for 75% of the year there's no travel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 28, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No written travel policy is usually better than having a written travel policy.

Travel policies only matter when they're screwing you over.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

Travel policies only matter when they're screwing you over.

The travel policy is typically used to screw you over, yes.

edit: traveling for work will either make you super chill/IDGAF/Zen or turn you in to a complete loving lunatic

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 28, 2016

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Travelling for 10 days straight, each night a different hotel, but each hotel is the type that's in a cluster of hotels next to a highway megachange and the only thing in walking distance is a demented applebees sucks.

5 days straight, every night is the same hotel, in a vibrant city, and the first floor is a dept style grocery with tons of kiosks selling delicious food cheaply pretty much owns no matter what age you are.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

No policy sounds great. Just be mindful of your coworker's etiquette (nails that stick out get hammered and all). If you can fly Virgin, milk that all the way. Stay at the same hotel, etc.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Erwin posted:

I do about 25% per year. You'll probably get little to no status on airlines. You can probably do OK on Rental Cars and very well on Hotels. Personally I'm just shy of Gold on Delta (sounds like I'll be 4 segments short) and Diamond with an boatload of points with Hilton.

Overall at 25% I only get annoyed with travel when it becomes 100% for good chunk at a time (I've also got kids and such). I still enjoy the travel enough that it's not a big deal most of the time. I do try to make the best of it by getting out and visiting breweries (my hobby) when I can. Your mileage will certainly vary.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Erwin posted:

Thanks for the input. Destinations would be repeats, likely in California, and only one place for the whole week. Many of their clients are in San Francisco, but not all of them. Unfortunately they're a small startup and they don't have a written travel policy, which is something their new VP of Engineering said she's looking to fix. Generally it's fly out Monday, return Friday, and they handle scheduling the flights I think. Don't know if that's good or bad. I asked every engineer I spoke to and they all said that travel was fine and they were flexible about scheduling (one of the engineers hasn't traveled in 6 months).

My man this sounds like a pretty good setup.

ThoiBoi
May 15, 2009

Zaepho posted:

I do about 25% per year. You'll probably get little to no status on airlines. You can probably do OK on Rental Cars and very well on Hotels. Personally I'm just shy of Gold on Delta (sounds like I'll be 4 segments short) and Diamond with an boatload of points with Hilton.

Overall at 25% I only get annoyed with travel when it becomes 100% for good chunk at a time (I've also got kids and such). I still enjoy the travel enough that it's not a big deal most of the time. I do try to make the best of it by getting out and visiting breweries (my hobby) when I can. Your mileage will certainly vary.

Yeah 25% would get you nearly nothing.. I'm about 100% travel consultant (fly out Sunday night red-eye and back Thursday evenings) and will have over 300K MQM with Delta this year. Being Diamond is what makes traveling worthwhile because I see it as an investment (put in the time on work's dime and I reap the benefits while traveling with friends/gf/family leisurely). Diamond with Hilton and Platinum with Marriott as well.

My 'making the best of it' is to eat out at some bomb-tastic restaurants (more of a foodie than an alchy) so that makes it enjoyble too :) Also learning to maximize all the flights and hotels points/benefits; I've basically gamified the whole process to make it entertaining. I also love talking about this crap since I do it so often so please feel free to ask questions!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Used to do the same thing as you ThoiBoi and the game is what I miss the most. Eating at some ridiculous places on per diem/expense account is dope.

Just make sure to take care of your health too :yayclod:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zaepho posted:

Doing a transcon every 4 weeks M-F (so 4 hotel nights each trip) is probably enough for mid tier status as long as they stick with 1 airline and 1 hotel chain.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
4 nights a month would be good for IHG platinum elite at a minimum, just based on nights, and possibly even spire elite based on points considering the higher rates in the Bay Area.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Mackieman posted:

I'm a 1K, except that I've got more than 205,000 PQMs flown this year (and a few more if my unprotected connection in LIM holds tonight) so I really should be a 2K. Sadly, all I got was a couple more upgrade certs. ;)

If you're flying high-enough fare classes, there's a reconsideration form for Global Services somewhere.

caberham posted:

If you use bose you deserve to pay full fare everyday
That's not how it works itt, it's usually opm (other people's money)

DJCobol posted:

It also really depends on where you have to travel as well. Are you going to be going to just a few places on a regular basis that are 1 hop flights away from your home airport? Or are you going to be doing transcon flights with multiple stops to lovely little podunk towns where Applebees is the fanciest place there is?
Olive Garden. :colbert:

ThoiBoi posted:

Yeah 25% would get you nearly nothing.. I'm about 100% travel consultant (fly out Sunday night red-eye and back Thursday evenings) and will have over 300K MQM with Delta this year. Being Diamond is what makes traveling worthwhile because I see it as an investment (put in the time on work's dime and I reap the benefits while traveling with friends/gf/family leisurely). Diamond with Hilton and Platinum with Marriott as well.
If you're 100% travel, and have 300K MQMs, then 25% of 300K MQMs is 75k MQMs which is Platinum. :rolleyes:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Noctone posted:

4 nights a month would be good for IHG platinum elite at a minimum, just based on nights, and possibly even spire elite based on points considering the higher rates in the Bay Area.

With the promotions they run on a constant basis, there should be no problem getting to Spire by the end of a calendar year.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Well hivemind, if it isn't Bose QCs then what do you recommend? It is Xmas after all.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Shure SE215 is a common starting point. Anything in-ear really. I have Vsonic GR06's.

e: I'm a fan of this site's reviews: http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/

air- fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 29, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FunOne posted:

Well hivemind, if it isn't Bose QCs then what do you recommend? It is Xmas after all.

Whatever is cheap and comfortable. You are listening to compressed music without a headphone amp so don't overthink it.

If the hotels are nice 25% travel is great. Get platinum, book exit rows for free at booking, and take an occasional upgrade.

It all depends. I'd travel 75% of the time if I was staying at the Savoy regularly. Four Points? A lot less.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like the 25% travel will be cake compared to what some of you go through.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Do bear in mind that none of us are wholly sane.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

sellouts posted:

Whatever is cheap and comfortable. You are listening to compressed music without a headphone amp so don't overthink it.

If the hotels are nice 25% travel is great. Get platinum, book exit rows for free at booking, and take an occasional upgrade.

It all depends. I'd travel 75% of the time if I was staying at the Savoy regularly. Four Points? A lot less.
Courtyard.... by Marriott :colbert:

Yeah, it's annoying when some borderline motel places are part of a global hotel brand. Especially with the SPG merger. And the fact that they don't want to dump a single brand.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

Sony MDR-ZX770. Comfortable over-the-ear design, great battery life, bluetooth, noise cancelling, headphone mounted controls, still has an audio cable port so you can use them if the battery dies, or if you need to plug them into an IFE system.

If you dont need bluetooth, Sennheisers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

This is totally false. IEMs are going to be sensitive enough that a headphone amp is worthless at best and dangerous for your hearing at worst. Pretty much all of today's cell phones have very good audio circuitry, so your garden variety iPhone, Samsung, HTC etc. could be paired with an extremely nice set and not be a waste. Go to the headphones thread in IYG and ask for a recommendation.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AdrenalinG posted:

Courtyard.... by Marriott :colbert:

Yeah, it's annoying when some borderline motel places are part of a global hotel brand. Especially with the SPG merger. And the fact that they don't want to dump a single brand.

I'm in a Courtyard right now. What's wrong with them?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

This is totally false. IEMs are going to be sensitive enough that a headphone amp is worthless at best and dangerous for your hearing at worst. Pretty much all of today's cell phones have very good audio circuitry, so your garden variety iPhone, Samsung, HTC etc. could be paired with an extremely nice set and not be a waste. Go to the headphones thread in IYG and ask for a recommendation.

It's not totally false. The overwhelming majority of people are not putting flac on their phones. The source sucks and the DAC and whatever other circuitry is irrelevant.

Go with what's cheap and well reviewed to travel. Save good headphones of whatever type for home. Don't overthink it.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 29, 2016

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
IHG will give you free platinum elite with their credit card, which is worth holding onto for the free night every year (offsets the annual fee). You can also get free national car rental status from CC.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

It's not totally false. The overwhelming majority of people are not putting flac on their phones. The source sucks and the DAC and whatever other circuitry is irrelevant.

Go with what's cheap and well reviewed to travel. Save good headphones of whatever type for home. Don't overthink it.

FLAC is for archiving, not listening. MP3 V0 is audibly indistinguishable from a lossless source in 99.99% of situations and I defy you to identify which is which in a double-blind.

Go to the headphones thread and get advice from people that know their poo poo, not people talking out of their rear end.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 29, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Mandalay posted:

Flew on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend with 3 seats empty in the first class cabin of a CRJ9. FA said it was for weight and balance. I thought this was supposed to be a busy travel day!

How far are you

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mandalay posted:

IHG will give you free platinum elite with their credit card, which is worth holding onto for the free night every year (offsets the annual fee). You can also get free national car rental status from CC.

Yep. And I'm using the free night this year for a 200 euro/night room at the Intercontinental in Dublin, which is about five times the annual fee. I barely stay at IHG (four nights this year, two nights last year) but that card is great.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

FLAC is for archiving, not listening. MP3 V0 is audibly indistinguishable from a lossless source in 99.99% of situations and I defy you to identify which is which in a double-blind.

Go to the headphones thread and get advice from people that know their poo poo, not people talking out of their rear end.

Who loads MP3 v0 on their devices aside from 1% of sperglords? More people are streaming. Or listening to other poo poo quality sources. Not firing up LAME to use the best encoding presets. Sorry.

Again, buy what's cheap and decently reviewed. You aren't choosing a vintage bottle of wine to pair with a special meal. You're passing time while on a metal tube. Don't overthink it.

Edit: sorry, durable. Cheap, decent reviews, err on durability if you travel a bunch.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

In general, in ears are the way to go for travel, though I find it worth extending the budget past something cheap since you're spending a significant amount of time listening while in transit. It's worth the expense for comfort and at least decent to good isolation.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah seriously, I have a pretty decent pair of Shure IEMs and a pair of Sony HDJ-2000s and while they're both awesome, for most of my day to day life and especially when traveling I just use stock Apple earbuds. It's really not a big difference.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

caberham posted:

How far are you

I am fat enough to value the seat width of a real MCE seat over an exit row seat. CX PEY--now that's some nice wide seating.

Speaking of fat chat, my favorite in flight snack is now the Calbee Whole Cuts that AA stocks in domestic F. Luckily there is no store within 100 miles of LA that stocks these, or I'd be even fatter.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Do AA 500 mile upgrades roll over year to year or do I need to use them before they disappear? I'd like to save them for use for my SO and I on vacations, but if they'll disappear, I'll guess I'll be flying F transcon a few times to use them up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

Who loads MP3 v0 on their devices aside from 1% of sperglords? More people are streaming. Or listening to other poo poo quality sources. Not firing up LAME to use the best encoding presets. Sorry.

Again, buy what's cheap and decently reviewed. You aren't choosing a vintage bottle of wine to pair with a special meal. You're passing time while on a metal tube. Don't overthink it.

Edit: sorry, durable. Cheap, decent reviews, err on durability if you travel a bunch.

You were the one asserting that all "compressed" music is going to sound like crap. Spotify uses OGG with 320kbps available if you don't care about phone space, but even the 160kbps is going to be very high quality and sound good on nice headphones. I'm not saying you have to get expensive headphones for flying in an airplane. I'm saying they will perform just as well on your phone with Spotify as they do at home. I have several pairs of IEMs ranging from $30 to $400 and I grab the expensive ones when I'm flying international because that's how I like to pass the time and I can hear the difference. Get some good price/performance headphones that fit your budget and needs. If "cheap and durable" is your needs, great. But I don't think someone who bought a pair of $300 Bose headphones because of marketing hype is that particular segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

Do AA 500 mile upgrades roll over year to year or do I need to use them before they disappear? I'd like to save them for use for my SO and I on vacations, but if they'll disappear, I'll guess I'll be flying F transcon a few times to use them up.

They save up between years even if you lose status. I have like 40 now that I acquired whenever they went from stickers. Now that there are no soft landings between years and I went from no flying back to platinum, they just magically appeared. I forgot I had them.

That's cool KillHour, it doesn't make my position wrong. Cheap and durable doesn't mean cheapest. Just don't waste a lot of money or waste time picking between nuances that won't matter on a noisy tube. And if you travel frequently durability matters more than you'd think.

I'd actually suggest spending more money on getting molded earplugs made, especially if you go to noisy events. That changed my life more than any pair of IEMs did.