Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You're probably really close to a warehouse. My games always ship late at night but they still show up in my patio before I head to work at noon.

That could be true. Actually when I did try to cancel it it turns out that it was shipped out around 7:00 tonight so that's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The characters in XV seem really awful but the combat seems pretty solid, I guess i'll pick this up either way just to see what it is because its Final goddamn Fantasy. The world reminds me of FF8 and is kinda cool but the boy-band is just lame. No ladies? No new characters? Just those 4 boring dudes? Blegh. Its like The Bouncer.

Man I really hope this doesn't take like a million hours to get going but I know that its gonna.

But those summons though. And the monsters in this game do look great, and the world is huge...

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Zaphod42 posted:

The characters in XV seem really awful

Yowza. :eyepop:

Did you watch brotherhood? They're good boys.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Tomie knows me posted:

Should I watch brotherhood or the movie first? Or does it not matter?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tomie knows me posted:

Nah I guess I'll go do that now :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I have not been keeping up with this game at all and, in fact, only purchased a PS4 on Friday. What is the required reading/watching for this game because I know there's apparently a movie and anime or something, I know nothing about anything

Kingsglaive is cool looking but dumb. It has some insight into the double dealing politics, types of magic used and who can use them, the immigrant tensions, and some background for Lunafreya and her brother. There are some neat portrayals of "warp strike" magic skills used by the Glaives (who are basically like Feydakin from Dune) using the Lucis secret royal magic techniques, and the city central crystals as like battery vessels that can channel immense power. Also, an important (plot-wise) character is killed. Noct and every other playable character in the game don't play a role in the movie.

Brotherhood (which you can watch in an hour on youtube) is more lighthearted and unfocused, the animation isn't very good at all, but the music is decent. The main plot concerns a big time "catharsis" battle for Noct, but that is bifurcated by three episodes which detail Noct's early history with his three friends. There's a tiny bit of time paid to Noct's mom, and an effort to explain his overall temperament and attitude. He's like a better written, more light-hearted version of the Squall "silent-loner" archetype.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

both the movie and anime are good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The answer is "Nothing is required reading or watching."

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

not only is amazon 20% cheaper if you get it physically and have prime, but digital would have to be at least 30-40% cheaper to make it worth not being able to resell when you're done.

Not having to get up off my lazy rear end to change discs is worth more than whatever I'd get back from reselling games.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
So if I buy digitally I can play tonight? Then give my amazon copy to someone for Xmas...

I have off work all morning tomorrow, this is serious.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Med School posted:

So if I buy digitally I can play tonight? Then give my amazon copy to someone for Xmas...

I have off work all morning tomorrow, this is serious.

You can, assuming your download finishes in the next hour, be playing as soon as it officially launches tonight if you buy digitally.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Or walk into just about any retail outlet on release day and grab it off the shelf...

those don't give 20% off

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hum, my download's not gonna finish for another three hours, for some reason--normally have much better bandwidth than that. Wonder how far I can get in the game with just the required startup data.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Hum, my download's not gonna finish for another three hours, for some reason--normally have much better bandwidth than that. Wonder how far I can get in the game with just the required startup data.

It apparently has a special goblin murder simulator room to dick around in while installing that goes away once it finishes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Are you putting it on rest mode?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The only spoiler I want on this game is how to achieve the fastest Time to Puppy

VanillaGorilla posted:

Technically you meet your dog within the first 3 chapters. He doesn't hang out with you permanently, however - he acts as a messenger between you and Luna for the first part of the game, and in the second half, he uses his doggo magic to teleport you between Altissia and your "memories" of Lucis....which really means being able to go back and do side content whenever you want. You do this by selecting an option to call him at rest spots. You also have the option shake paws when you do this. His name is Umbra, and he's a black and white Shiba Inu. His sister is the dog that Noctis is chasing in the Omens trailer.

I now have no regrets over pre-ordering this game.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Spergatory posted:

So apparently the 1.02 patch changes some of the music. Mostly it seems to replace songs with cleaner, remastered versions that sound even nicer than the already nice soundtrack.

Incidentally, when is that going to be released?

21st of December is when the soundtrack will be released, according to CD Japan.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

He's like a better written, more light-hearted version of the Squall "silent-loner" archetype.

Noct is a better Squall, and Prompto is so much Zell.

Ignis is every "adjust my glasses" nerd stereotype from anime.

Gladiolus is the big guy, but seems pretty chill. Probably my fav.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pomp posted:

those don't give 20% off

oh no not $12 :jerkbag:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tae posted:

Are you putting it on rest mode?

No, that's what the estimate in Notifications gave me. Does it download faster at Rest for some reason or something?

(ed) After a restart it says 68 minutes. idgi

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

No, that's what the estimate in Notifications gave me. Does it download faster at Rest for some reason or something?

It downloads massively faster in rest mode.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah downloads way faster in rest mode. Something about cpu processing or some hsit.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
This was the first PS4 game I popped in since July and not only did I have the initial install and patch, but once I got to the title screen, it took another 20ish min to install. Think it was about 45 minutes after I started the patch that I could play. Might not be as long for digital purchases.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jesus christ that's really dumb and unintuitive. Stupid consoles :mad:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
We are now 44 minutes away from Final Fantasy XV's release.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any sidequests you can miss out on if you progress the story too far? Or can you do everything postgame?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gologle posted:

We are now 44 minutes away from Final Fantasy XV's release.

hosed up if false

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

that's my 45 minutes of work and i want it now!!!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Zaphod42 posted:

Noct is a better Squall, and Prompto is so much Zell.

Ignis is every "adjust my glasses" nerd stereotype from anime.

Gladiolus is the big guy, but seems pretty chill. Probably my fav.

I haven't played the game yet but Noctis is Raphael, Gladiolus is Leonardo, Prompto is Michelangelo and Ignis is Donatello

Dude who voices Prompto even did a Michelangelo in some stuff it looks like

e: Has anybody who order a hard copy from Microsoft's online store gotten a shipping confirmation? I got the $35 sale on it, but it's still saying "in process." Selected Standard shipping, but since it was a pre-order, was hoping it'd actually get here tomorrow

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 29, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

I haven't played the game yet but Noctis is Raphael, Gladiolus is Leonardo, Prompto is Michelangelo and Ignis is Donatello

Dude who voices Prompto even did a Michelangelo in some stuff it looks like

Except that those personalities don't match up AT ALL.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whoever said nomura is non personed by the game is wrong he's right there on the title screen

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Barudak posted:

Whoever said nomura is non personed by the game is wrong he's right there on the title screen

Yeah, it wouldn't be very Japanese to not credit him.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Except that those personalities don't match up AT ALL.

Soul Glo posted:

:colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well, download hasn't finished in time but I looked at the open combat for a few minutes before putting it back into rest.

I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing but I can already tell I'm going to like the combat gameplay at least :)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So I downloaded the game but now the title screen is saying I have an install time of 70 minutes left, do I need to keep the game open to install or can I play something else while waiting?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Okay okay

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

GonSmithe posted:

So I downloaded the game but now the title screen is saying I have an install time of 70 minutes left, do I need to keep the game open to install or can I play something else while waiting?

game content in the 21st century

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ntan1 posted:

game content in the 21st century

"Consoles were a mistake." -Miyazaki

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Hello friends. If you are buying this game digitally for PS4, you can use code D9NGJ7NF3L on the PSN store to get 10% off until tomorrow morning. I hope we all have a good anime adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Downloaded the game, game said it has a 1600 minute install time :stare:

Granted it's falling like crazy, and is now down to 822 minutes, but this seems sort of hosed.

• Locked thread