Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Losing the first game and struggling to get points from Bolivia? Looks like we're winning the World Cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
After 8 games this is how the qualifiers look

we have two whole points woohoo

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I don't know what the gently caress is the point of winning the group in this round of CONCACAF qualifiers, no advantage whatsoever in the hex, should earn last game at home or something

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Simone Poodoin posted:

I don't know what the gently caress is the point of winning the group in this round of CONCACAF qualifiers, no advantage whatsoever in the hex, should earn last game at home or something

Sounds good but it's CONCACAF, if the US and Mexico doesn't get to a World Cup something wrong happen and they change it so it would be easier for us and mexico the next time around. Also it for the weekly Liga MX post of the week.

Last round Results

Chiapas 0 - 3 Puebla
Santos Laguna 1 - 0 León
Toluca 2 - 2 Morelia
América 0 - 3 Guadalajara
Atlas 1 - 1 Cruz Azul
Pachuca 1 - 1 Monterrey
Querétaro 1 - 2 Necaxa
Tigres UANL 1 - 1 Veracruz
Tijuana 1 - 0 Pumas

Round seven of the 2016 Apertura (All times CDT UTC-5)

Friday, September 9, 2016
23'

Veracruz 0 - 0 Pachuca

Saturday, September 10, 2016
5:00 PM

Cruz Azul v América

7:00 PM

Monterrey v Tijuana

Morelia v Tigres UANL

7:06 PM

León v Atlas

9:00 PM

Necaxa v Santos Laguna

9:06 PM

Guadalajara v Chiapas

Sunday, September 11, 2016

12:00 PM

Pumas v Querétaro

6:00 PM

Puebla v Toluca

Current Table

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO
Tijuana is killing it this season! Looks like El Piojo really turned up the team's power levels :goku:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I'm glad that the badass aztec dogs are doing well

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

lmao cruz azul are chokelords

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Just got done watching my local team lead the whole game and give up the game tying goal at the last min, we always find way to mess up, anyway time for the weekly Liga MX post of the week.

Last round Results

Puebla 0 - 2 Toluca
Pumas 4 - 1 Querétaro
Cruz Azul 3 - 4 América
Guadalajara 2 - 0 Chiapas
León 4 - 1 Atlas
Monterrey 0 - 0 Tijuana
Morelia 0 - 2 Tigres UANL
Necaxa 2 - 1 Santos Laguna
Veracruz 1 - 0 Pachuca

Round seven of the 2016 Apertura (All times CDT UTC-5)

Friday, September 16, 2016

HT

Veracruz 0 - 2 CA Monarcas Morelia Morelia

Saturday, September 17, 2016

4:00 PM

Toluca v Guadalajara

Querétaro v Monterrey

Atlas v Necaxa

Chiapas v Cruz Azul

Tigres UANL v Puebla

Pachuca v Tijuana

América v León

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Laguna v Pumas

Current Table

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

Hello everyone

Sorry for missing last week but I was busy and forgot about posting and a midweek round happen too, so here is the weekly liga mx post of the week.

Last two round results

Santos Laguna 1 - 2 Tijuana
Toluca 1 - 1 León
América 2 - 1 Pumas
Atlas 3 - 1 Monterrey
Chiapas 2 - 2 Necaxa
Morelia 2 - 3 Puebla
Pachuca 2 - 0 Querétaro
Tigres UANL 0 - 0 Cruz Azul
Veracruz 0 - 1 Guadalajara

León 0 - 0 Chiapas
Monterrey 5 - 2 Santos Laguna
Pumas 2 - 0 Atlas
Tijuana 2 - 1 Querétaro
Cruz Azul 0 - 1 Toluca
Guadalajara 0 - 1 Tigres UANL
Morelia 1 - 5 Pachuca
Necaxa 1 - 1 América
Puebla 3 - 2 Veracruz

Round nine of the 2016 Apertura (All times CDT UTC-5)

Friday, September 30, 2016

Tijuana v Atlas

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Cruz Azul v Veracruz

Querétaro v Santos Laguna

Monterrey v América

León v Tigres UANL

Guadalajara v Morelia

Necaxa v Toluca

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Pumas v Chiapas

Puebla v Pachuca

Current Table

Giovanni_Sinclair fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 1, 2016

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I'm glad that the badass Aztec dogs are still top of the table

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Bunch of changes announced for Libertadores. More teams, it will last longer, and they are still considering the single host city for the final.
Additionally, and this may be controversial, starting in 18 only teams that also have a women's soccer team will be eligible for libertadores.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The one that I actually hate is the single host city for finals. Like, it DOESN'T WORK for Latin America, it's not a worldwide spectacle that attract tourists from around the world, and for actual fans it's incredible hard to afford to travel thousands of miles in a heartbeat to watch finals.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
i heard mexican fa doesn't like the changes and this could be the end of mexican teams playing libertadores.

also cant wait for a libertadores final between deportivo pasto and cerro porteño on an empty stadium in venezuela

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I guess they'll try once and realize that it's far more profitable to have 2 full stadiums than 1 almost full.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Polidoro posted:

i heard mexican fa doesn't like the changes and this could be the end of mexican teams playing libertadores.

Honestly, good riddance if they leave. The travel schedule was already insane as it was.

That said, another of the changes is that Mexican teams aren't considered guests anymore and can host the second leg if they maintain the 2 match final.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Isn't there a push for a South America + North America CL because of all the money.

The CCL is loving poo poo and needs something to shake it up. I say this as someone who supports a team that is in the knockout round of the CCL.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

joepinetree posted:

Additionally, and this may be controversial, starting in 18 only teams that also have a women's soccer team will be eligible for libertadores.

What is the state of women's soccer/football in latin america anyway? I think they got a league in mexico and in brazil but don't really know how it is elsewhere.

Seltzer posted:

Isn't there a push for a South America + North America CL because of all the money.

The CCL is loving poo poo and needs something to shake it up. I say this as someone who supports a team that is in the knockout round of the CCL.

I wouldn't mind a two leg super cup thing with the winners of each league but a whole combine league would really suck for the US and Canadian team, we already get our asses kick in our own CL I don't want to image how bad it will get with the SA teams.

Anway time for the weekly Liga MX post of the week.

Last two round results

Puebla 1 - 1 Pachuca
Pumas 1 - 0 Chiapas
Cruz Azul 5 - 3 Veracruz
Guadalajara 2 - 1 Morelia
León 3 - 2 Tigres UANL
Monterrey 1 - 1 América
Necaxa 3 - 1 Toluca
Querétaro 1 - 1 Santos Laguna
Tijuana 1 - 0 Atlas

Round ten of the 2016 Apertura (All times CDT UTC-5)

Friday, October 14, 2016

Veracruz v León

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Chiapas v Monterrey

Atlas v Querétaro

Morelia v Cruz Azul

Tigres UANL v Necaxa

Pachuca v Santos Laguna

América v Tijuana

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Toluca v Pumas

Puebla v Guadalajara

Current Table

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

What is the state of women's soccer/football in latin america anyway? I think they got a league in mexico and in brazil but don't really know how it is elsewhere.

There is a league in Costa Rica but it's not professional. Things have been getting better for them though because they're on TV/streaming now and get news coverage, mostly thanks to badass international superstar Shirley Cruz who is the captain of PSG now and won two Champions Leagues with OL before that. There are several women playing in Spain and the US now and the future looks promising (there was even a U17 WC hosted here and I went to the final to be able to shout abuse at Sepp Blatter from across the stadium). They had one of the coolest CR kits in recent memory too for that WC.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 15, 2016

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Bolivia has been found to have fielded an ineligible player against Chile and Peru, and the respective matches are now counted as 3-0 against Bolivia.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Guatemala have been expelled from the Central America Nations Cup because the federation failed to comply with a corruption investigation. They are also suspended from any official tournaments until they sort this out

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
It seems that mexican teams would be able to stay in the libertadores because :10bux:

Univision wants to buy the tv rights mainly to broadcast the mexican teams in the US and could put pressure on CONMEBOL. I read somewhere that 40% of the revenue for libertadores comes from Mexico (sponsors, tv rights...), so I can see this happening.

I still don't know how this could be solved even with sponsor pressure, as the schedule directly impacts the Liga MX schedule and the players would have no rest, this is the whole point of this mess.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazil looking pretty good. Meanwhile, at this point Argentina would not even qualify to the playoff.

El Chingon posted:

It seems that mexican teams would be able to stay in the libertadores because :10bux:

Univision wants to buy the tv rights mainly to broadcast the mexican teams in the US and could put pressure on CONMEBOL. I read somewhere that 40% of the revenue for libertadores comes from Mexico (sponsors, tv rights...), so I can see this happening.

I still don't know how this could be solved even with sponsor pressure, as the schedule directly impacts the Liga MX schedule and the players would have no rest, this is the whole point of this mess.

I sincerely doubt the 40% figure. It could possibly get close to that if you include transmission rights for the US market, but I very much doubt that the revenue from Mexico is larger than the revenue from Argentina or Brazil.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 11, 2016

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
So does Argentina not call up Icardi because he's a oval office or because their manager is incredibly stupid?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

The Argentinians are psychologically broken and Bauza has no idea what to do about it. Sometimes it seems like it could be an ego thing because this team should play for Messi, but they just don't.

Gigi Galli posted:

So does Argentina not call up Icardi because he's a oval office or because their manager is incredibly stupid?

Yes

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Allegedly it's because Messi and Maxi are close friends from their La Masia days

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Mexican teams have allegedly pulled out of libertadores next year.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
good

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Former Saprissa captain and CR international Gabriel Badilla died yesterday from heart failure while running a 10k, he was only 32 :(

He retired because of heart issues so one would think after that running a 10k would be a bad idea...

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

joepinetree posted:

Brazil looking pretty good. Meanwhile, at this point Argentina would not even qualify to the playoff.

I sincerely doubt the 40% figure. It could possibly get close to that if you include transmission rights for the US market, but I very much doubt that the revenue from Mexico is larger than the revenue from Argentina or Brazil.

according to this ESPN reporter, it is actually 46%, and yes, this includes the TV rights for the US market as their focus is to air the mexican teams matches.

https://twitter.com/espnsutcliffe/status/799366695156523009

I think this bogs down to Mexico wanting more say in the decisions of the tournament, their bargaining chip was the money they bring to the tournament. While CONMEBOL clearly doesn't like Mexico being more than a guest to the tournament, that's why they arranged the new calendar knowing that it would interfere with the Liga MX calendar.

Both sides lose here IMO, but there will surely be a comeback of mexican teams in 2018.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
How do Mexican teams generate 46% of the income? are Mexicans paying that much more for TV rights? Americans?

I don't think there's a single South American fan who gives a poo poo about their team playing against Queretaro or whatever

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

El Hefe posted:

How do Mexican teams generate 46% of the income? are Mexicans paying that much more for TV rights? Americans?

I don't think there's a single South American fan who gives a poo poo about their team playing against Queretaro or whatever

There's like 150 million of them

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

El Hefe posted:

I think this goes something like this: Sponsors and TV broadcasters calculate on how many viewers or potential views (I don't know the marketing term) their brand will get per investment, and if mexican teams are not playing, they will surely want to pay way less (how much is really unknown, and I don't know if it's ~40% less, too many thinks should factor here and I'm not a marketing guru).

And yes, between mexicans living in Mexico + mexicans in the US & mexican americans, the number goes close to 150 million. I would guess that Santander, Bridgestone or whoever is sponsoring next years event will surely care about this when deciding how much they are willing to pay.

I was really looking forward to mexican teams playing next year. It is good experience for the teams, the competition level is clearly higher than CONCACAF, and there was a feeling that the mexican teams were getting closer and closer to finally winning it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I find it highly unlikely that any of those figures are true. If for no other reason than the fact that there is virtually no transparency in the CONMEBOL contracts, and Bridgestone, FOX sports and so on have rights for the entire continent. That journalist is likely looking at overall soccer related money (and not just specific to libertadores) and including the US in the Mexico tally.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

joepinetree posted:

I find it highly unlikely that any of those figures are true. If for no other reason than the fact that there is virtually no transparency in the CONMEBOL contracts, and Bridgestone, FOX sports and so on have rights for the entire continent. That journalist is likely looking at overall soccer related money (and not just specific to libertadores) and including the US in the Mexico tally.

not to try to go against you on every post, but those numbers have been floating around on the mexican media for quite some time.

Found an article from 2 years ago where they mention the tournament sponsor pays 20% to 30% more if Mexico is invited:

http://eleconomista.com.mx/deportes/2015/02/16/libertadores-despreciamos-lo-que-enriquecemos

It also gives insight on why the mexican teams play with B squads during most of the tournament, as winning the tournament would mean 17% of their annual budget, while that figure is closer to %80 to many teams in south america. Money before sports all the way, which is truly sad.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

El Chingon posted:

not to try to go against you on every post, but those numbers have been floating around on the mexican media for quite some time.

Found an article from 2 years ago where they mention the tournament sponsor pays 20% to 30% more if Mexico is invited:

http://eleconomista.com.mx/deportes/2015/02/16/libertadores-despreciamos-lo-que-enriquecemos

It also gives insight on why the mexican teams play with B squads during most of the tournament, as winning the tournament would mean 17% of their annual budget, while that figure is closer to %80 to many teams in south america. Money before sports all the way, which is truly sad.

Well, whatever numbers are "floating around" are not based on publicly available information. More importantly, I highly doubt it is even possible to disentangle what fox deportes pays for Mexico and what it pays for Brazil, since the rights are all bundled. And I don't know a single competitive South American team where libertadores prize money comes anywhere near 50%, much less 80%. I mean, it might be that for Huachipato, but they were never going to win anyways. The reason for me being super skeptical of this information is simple. Brazil has over double the GDP than Mexico. Revenues for the Brazilian soccer league are almost twice that of Liga MX (and that includes the right to transmit liga MX into the US) and the Argentinean league isn't far behind Liga MX (and there were 11 clubs from Brazil and Argentina, vs 3 from Mexico)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue

And yet somehow 3 mid table Mexican teams playing with their b squads are solely responsible for almost half the revenue of Libertadores? I mean, of course people tied to the Mexican league are going to claim that they should get more money, but none of these figures thrown around so far make any sense.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 27, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Maybe this deserves it's own thread, but apparently a plane carrying an entire Brazilian Serie A team just crashed in Colombia and most of the players might be dead:

https://twitter.com/RobertoRojas97/status/803470946430554112
https://twitter.com/RobertoRojas97/status/803471129897824256

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm following the news, Chapecoense was heading to Colombia for the first leg of the Sudamericana Cup finals. Lots of conflicting reports, but no deaths confirmed as of now. Lots of injuries tho.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dias posted:

I'm following the news, Chapecoense was heading to Colombia for the first leg of the Sudamericana Cup finals. Lots of conflicting reports, but no deaths confirmed as of now. Lots of injuries tho.
Well that would be fantastic. Before posting I'd seen a Tweet that had said there were ~25 dead and 45-50 injured.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Crazy Ted posted:

Well that would be fantastic. Before posting I'd seen a Tweet that had said there were ~25 dead and 45-50 injured.

Yeah, that was fake news, right now the only info is that there are survivors and 10 people were already rescued. No confirmed deaths, and with any luck there won't be any.

Man, this sucks, Chapecoense is a small team from a state without tons of soccer tradition that has been picking up steam the last few years, this was their first shot at an international title and I think most Brazilian soccer fans were behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Update: rescue is underway, fire dpt. chief says "there are many survivors". Alan Ruschel, one of Chape's fullbacks, is already in the hospital - apparently with a hip fracture and a concussion, but in stable condition.

They're saying it was an electrical failure and the pilots made a smart call by dumping all the fuel and finding a place to attempt a forced landing. No explosion, but the aircraft was torn in half.

Dias fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 29, 2016