Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

wormil posted:

My teenagers wanted headphones for Christmas so I impulse bought 2 pair of Skullcandy Grind, less than $50 each. Did I gently caress up or do alright? I have a pair of Sennheiser 280 Pro that both of have used and both disliked for whatever reasons teenagers can articulate.

They're teenagers so they already have bad taste so you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

goodness posted:

Im hoping the open 598 go on sale as well, people say they are more comfortable.

I got the 598C just in case but I'll probably end up returning it. Are there any better options at $100ish currently?

I heard a little about momentums but I was trying to move away from combo mic+headphone

i'm just f5'ing the heck outta this dumb headset all weekend and it won't go on sale.
My momentums don't have a mic. Maybe the wireless ones do.

e: I just remembered it came with two cables and one probably has a microphone in it. It also has rewind/pause/etc buttons so I didn't use it.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 27, 2016

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

plape tickler posted:

Goddamn these things are comfortable, even on a giant head. Super closed, the cups almost form suction when I take them off. Not being an audiophile they sound good to me. Decent punchy bass for sure.

Edit - Mic works surprisingly well with ps4

Yeah, I picked up a pair and I'm impressed with them so far. I had a set of 595s for several years that I liked and replaced last year with Beyerdynamics 880s (250 ohm), which are great for home but not so great for work/traveling. Tonight I tried the 598 Cs on and my wife can't hear them when Spotify is at 50%, and they're isolating well down to < 20%.

I'm glad to hear the mic works well on the PS4 since I'm hoping to use them as a basic gaming headset too with my MBP at times when not home too.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Newegg has the Phillips SHP9500S for $50. Haven't seen it that cheap before

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Thread recommendation for an amp for these Senn 598c?

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
So, I've been eyeing the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 32 OHM Headphones for awhile, considering that they've taken a massive price drop as of late. Considering that they're normally fairly pricey, I was hoping that they had a good rep to go with the premium price? Basically, is the price drop due to a new version (or overall quality) or is this a decent deal for a comfortable pair of premium headphones?

Any and all recommendations are welcome.

And, if this is helpful, here's an updated thread format with changes (I am lacking in finding my older post to find the original recommendations, apologies):

Budget - $0-200
Source - Macbook Pro (El Cap/Sierra) mainly. iPod Classic/Nano if my tiny Apple earbuds finally die.
Isolation Requirements - I don't absolutely need it but it's fine to have as well.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-Ear and hopefully a pair that won't constrict my glasses/ears like crazy. Comfort is a must as I wear these for multiple hours on end.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced if at all possible. I need to make out vocals for my video/audio work and really don't like bass-heavy cans.
Past Headphones - Uh... Apple Earbuds. Cheap and simple but they tend to last awhile. Also my go-to work headphones since I can't have over-ear cans at work.
Preferred Music - Currently some modern Japanese music for a long-term project (I'm not sure what to classify it as, J-Pop, Billboard Top 40, who knows? Sorry, I wish I could clarify the style.)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

goodness posted:

Thread recommendation for an amp for these Senn 598c?

You don't need an amp.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

grack posted:

You don't need an amp.

They do sound really good.

My friend wants a pair now but asked "is there anything like the 598 C but with a mic". I told him I was getting a desk mic but thats his request. I don't know enough to recommend.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

goodness posted:

They do sound really good.

My friend wants a pair now but asked "is there anything like the 598 C but with a mic". I told him I was getting a desk mic but thats his request. I don't know enough to recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-U...direct+boom+mic

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Budget - $100 - $150 If it does exactly what I want.
Source - This is the most important thing. I currently use my headset at work, to listen to podcast on the phone, and talk to customers over the computer. We use a video chat service, and so I need the headset to work with both sources Simultaneously. I'm handling something like 40 customers a day, so I can't have it switching on/off between my phone and the computer. The Z300's I'm currently wearing have this simultaneous audio feature, and I need my next set to do that as well. The computer's are not blue tooth enabled, but I'm fine buying an adapter for auxillary input as long as it does simultaneous audio.
Isolation Requirements - No Isolation
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over Ear, but this isn't super important either
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass Heavy, but this isn't really important
Past Headphones - The only pair that I know have that had this functionality is the Earforce Z300, and it is by far my favorite headset. I would just buy more of these, but they're no longer being made.
Preferred Music - Podcasts, Audio Books, Rap, Electronica, and butt-rock.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Sennheiser has a special for the HD-650's + Apogee Groove DAC+AMP. for $524.25

I have been eyeing the HD600/650's for years and I can finally afford them. Is this a good deal? Even with the current Amazon specials, buying both items separately is an extra $50, so I guess it depends on whether the amp is worth it or not.

Animal fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 28, 2016

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Budget - $100 - $150 If it does exactly what I want.
Source - This is the most important thing. I currently use my headset at work, to listen to podcast on the phone, and talk to customers over the computer. We use a video chat service, and so I need the headset to work with both sources Simultaneously. I'm handling something like 40 customers a day, so I can't have it switching on/off between my phone and the computer. The Z300's I'm currently wearing have this simultaneous audio feature, and I need my next set to do that as well. The computer's are not blue tooth enabled, but I'm fine buying an adapter for auxillary input as long as it does simultaneous audio.
Isolation Requirements - No Isolation
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over Ear, but this isn't super important either
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass Heavy, but this isn't really important
Past Headphones - The only pair that I know have that had this functionality is the Earforce Z300, and it is by far my favorite headset. I would just buy more of these, but they're no longer being made.
Preferred Music - Podcasts, Audio Books, Rap, Electronica, and butt-rock.

Can't you just get a Y cable and use whatever headset you want?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ultimate Mango posted:

Can't you just get a Y cable and use whatever headset you want?

I didn't realize that Y cable's worked with microphones.

I'd still like the wireless functionality though.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 28, 2016

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Animal posted:

Sennheiser has a special for the HD-650's + Apogee Groove DAC+AMP. for $524.25

I have been eyeing the HD600/650's for years and I can finally afford them. Is this a good deal? Even with the current Amazon specials, buying both items separately is an extra $50, so I guess it depends on whether the amp is worth it or not.

In that price range you can buy a way better amp/DAC. 650 isn't a portable pair, so why use pay so much for a portable amp? I'm a novice, but $200+ for a portable amp/DAC is dumb.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

drat NIGGA posted:

In that price range you can buy a way better amp/DAC. 650 isn't a portable pair, so why use pay so much for a portable amp? I'm a novice, but $200+ for a portable amp/DAC is dumb.

Is there anything in the specifications or reviews that says that this amp is less capable? Which one would you recommend?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Massdrop is selling the THX00 again, about 30 left before the drop closes. Amazing deal at $399 for anyone who wants amazing tight bass headphones for EDM/Rap or just about anything else.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can anyone recommend some cheapo bluetooth headphones that my father in law can use for watching TV? Probably looking for on or over ear. Isolation isn't a big deal since his wife's hearing isn't amazing but comfort and battery life are both important. Something in the $50 range would be great if it exists.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Crossposting from the Playstation thread, but I'm in the market for some dedicated headphones for the PS4. Wired (assuming they plug into the controller) or bluetooth is fine by me, I think they're all over-ear, noise cancelling is not necessary at all really, and I expect to spend around $100 at most for a gaming headset? Or am I wrong on assuming that price point?

Are there any cyber Monday deals on Amazon for a good dedicated headset to use with the PS4? I'm moving and losing my surround speakers, so I'm looking for a good headset (mic welcome but not necessary) that can decently replicate surround/bass/etc that works with the PS4. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD555s for my computer but am not sure if I can get those to work with the PS4 so I'd be for buying a dedicated pair just for that. There's got to be something solid for around $100ish right?

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
The Sony MDR-1000X bluetooth ANC headphones are on sale for $348 at Amazon.

The bad news is my Jaybird X2s have completely stopped working after maybe 10 uses, so yay for battery powered headphones. Since I just ordered the Sonys, I apparently haven't learned my lesson. Let's see if Jaybird's support is worth anything.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD650s from a friend who upgraded, and they are in great shape. Definitely the best headphones I have ever personally owned. There's just one problem. I am using them with my Playstation VR, and even on max volume, they are about 20% too quiet. Is this the perfect use for a small, cheap headphone amp? If so, is there a goon consensus best cheap amp?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
My aunt is looking for a pair of noise cancelling headphones for Christmas. I looking around for them. Noise cancelling is more important to her than audio quality as she will be using these on airplanes to try to drown out the rest of the passengers. She mostly listens to classic rock and will watch movies and tv on the flights I imagine. Hoping to not go too far past $100. Any recommendations?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Doom Rooster posted:

I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD650s from a friend who upgraded, and they are in great shape. Definitely the best headphones I have ever personally owned. There's just one problem. I am using them with my Playstation VR, and even on max volume, they are about 20% too quiet. Is this the perfect use for a small, cheap headphone amp? If so, is there a goon consensus best cheap amp?

Depends on what the usage is. With that headset you can't chat on PS4 so something like the astro mixamp isn't worth purchasing.

I am not sure that there are any amp/dac combos that would work well with a PS4. You would need to do audio out, not usb out from the PS4 to the dac. Most of the USB dacs require drivers to be installed, which wouldn't work on PS4.

You would basically have to go optical out, to an optical in on the amp/dac. So you need one with optical in. most cheap, sub $200 dac/amps don't have optical in.

So what are you willing to pay for better sound?

You could do a Schiit stack for $200 USD. Might be a bit more for the dac as it doesn't look like optical in comes with the base dac. You have to upgrade to a higher version. Read the details on the page to find out.

http://schiit.com/products/magni-2
http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

that would give you optical in with a separate dac/amp. You can then upgrade either if you so desire in the future.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 28, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
audioengine d1 has an optical input for $170

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, ~200 is more than I was hoping to spend, but not out of the question.

To clarify though, the headphones do not plug directly into the PS4. The VR headset itself plugs into the PS4, and the headphones plug into a standard 3.5mm audio jack on the VR unit. Would I not be able to stick an amp/dac in between the headphones and headset?

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 28, 2016

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Just picked up a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and I can't believe how small the ear pads are. Apparently the previous edition was even smaller :holymoley:

No larger ear pads that you can order either :wtc:

There's also no real padding on the head band besides 3 mm of leather.

A painful three contact points for me.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
http://a.co/dpZlZBU for Amp/DAC with optical for cheap. This thing makes me HD600's sing

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Doom Rooster posted:

To clarify though, the headphones do not plug directly into the PS4. The VR headset itself plugs into the PS4, and the headphones plug into a standard 3.5mm audio jack on the VR unit. Would I not be able to stick an amp/dac in between the headphones and headset?

I'm on my phone right now, but yes there are 3.5 in to 3.5 out amps, I think fiio makes a cheaper small/portable one

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

wide stance posted:

Just picked up a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and I can't believe how small the ear pads are. Apparently the previous edition was even smaller :holymoley:

No larger ear pads that you can order either :wtc:

There's also no real padding on the head band besides 3 mm of leather.

A painful three contact points for me.

Yeah I agree. I don't know if I have the 2.0s but I agree. I hurt all three places. I'm looking forward to those black friday versions.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

metallicaeg posted:

I'm on my phone right now, but yes there are 3.5 in to 3.5 out amps, I think fiio makes a cheaper small/portable one

There definitely are. ALO Audio Rx is quite nice and reasonably priced.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

If I'm following this right and that's a simple analog 3.5mm jack, how much portability do you need? You could just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable (and maybe a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter if you need it) and use a Schitt Magni for $99, but the Magni is not portable.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Wasn't entirely happy with the Fidelio X2, grabbed the HE-400i when it was on sale for $250.

Definitely seems like an improvement. The quality of the bass is much better although it has a roll-off in terms of quantity. On the X2s I would find myself cranking the volume up because the mids felt a little quiet, which made the treble kind of harsh. The 400i signature works better for me. Hopefully I can bring myself to stop buying loving headphones now.

On the downside, why the hell do they sell something like this with a cable that's only like 3 feet long?

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Any recomendations for on- or over-ear bluetooth exercise headphones? I dislike earbuds, which tends to limit my options. I mostly lift weights so I don't need something super sweat resistant- I don't run marathons.0

I'm looking for something more comfortable than the typical $25 sets on Amazon. Improved microphone and sound quality + battery life would be useful. Budget would be $100-200 or whatever; ideally I'd get a set that could be used for both teleconferences and exercise, but this may be asking too much.

I've been looking at these Urbanear Hellas; dumb name aside, any good? https://www.urbanears.com/ue_us_en/hellas

How about these: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-BTS-Pro-MotionControl-Orange/dp/B01M8M4R7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480469744&sr=8-1&keywords=bts+pro

Look nice-not sure if they are worth the $125 relative to the generic sets

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The Sennheiser 598 Cs from the black friday sale came. I like the passive noise cancellation. Problem with the wires:
This wire is for like a cell phone? it comes with a dongle at the end of the cord with one button. The headphones are in mono unless the button is pressed, when it does stereo. I can't just tape the button down it needs like a finger textured thing to apply constant pressure. That's weird.

There is a larger cable but I don't have a jack that size. The old huge jack size. I don't have an adapter. It's weird that they didn't give me one. Usually headphones toss in an adapter from the regular computer sized stereo jack to the old hi fi station sized jack for the hell of it and I toss it in a bucket somewhere. I have never seen a MtF going the other way.

My old dongleless, buttonless, sennheiser momentum cable LOOKED like it was the same type, but upon closer examination the threads that lock it in are a different shape and it's not long enough to be easily removed once inserted. I almost ruined it using pliers to get it the hell out of the headphones.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Krinkle posted:

The Sennheiser 598 Cs from the black friday sale came. I like the passive noise cancellation. Problem with the wires:
This wire is for like a cell phone? it comes with a dongle at the end of the cord with one button. The headphones are in mono unless the button is pressed, when it does stereo. I can't just tape the button down it needs like a finger textured thing to apply constant pressure. That's weird.

There is a larger cable but I don't have a jack that size. The old huge jack size. I don't have an adapter. It's weird that they didn't give me one. Usually headphones toss in an adapter from the regular computer sized stereo jack to the old hi fi station sized jack for the hell of it and I toss it in a bucket somewhere. I have never seen a MtF going the other way.

My old dongleless, buttonless, sennheiser momentum cable LOOKED like it was the same type, but upon closer examination the threads that lock it in are a different shape and it's not long enough to be easily removed once inserted. I almost ruined it using pliers to get it the hell out of the headphones.

Yeah, the button is inconsistent. It answers calls on my phone, but opens the App Store on my Macbook. I'm happy with the length though - when it's connected to my phone it comfortably reaches my front of back pocket with no annoying slack.

I'm not experiencing the mono issue you describe though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
This should solve your problem: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...eiser+598+cable

Surprisingly good quality for a chinese knockoff.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

What about the mids? I see most people who got the black friday deals and are complaining right now on amazon are complaining that these headphones destroy the mids, it's like "putting your favorite music under a pillow and smothering it" one said. One guy complained about stereo/mono I noticed.

When I listen to this song and I press the button, I mean I don't really know what mids mean, but pressing the button and boom it's "fuller".

There's like, no buttons or dials anywhere on this thing so I don't see why I get the goofy "sound good" button and you don't. Could you plug this into your computer and see what I'm talking about?

I just plugged them into my phone and the same video always sounds nice. Pressing the button does nothing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
This happens because of the way the four-pole plug is wired. It creates a phase problem that kills the volume and mids when plugged into some devices that aren't expecting a mic in the cable. Pressing the button effectively shorts the cable so it works properly, but obviously isn't a real solution.

The cable I linked will solve your problem, but there are other ways depending on your source. What are you plugging the headphones into?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This happens because of the way the four-pole plug is wired. It creates a phase problem that kills the volume and mids when plugged into some devices that aren't expecting a mic in the cable. Pressing the button effectively shorts the cable so it works properly, but obviously isn't a real solution.

The cable I linked will solve your problem, but there are other ways depending on your source. What are you plugging the headphones into?

I'm plugging mine into a headphone jack on my pc. What do I need to do, get the adapter?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

My computer's speakers, because if the cable isn't 6 feet ending in a 3.5mm cable it won't reach down behind my desk to my computer. And I was just about say I thought that might be the problem I mean he said he plugged directly into his macbook so that would be different from my setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

goodness posted:

I'm plugging mine into a headphone jack on my pc. What do I need to do, get the adapter?

Again, the cable I linked will solve your problem.