Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lid posted:

Pauline Hanson believes there's no definition of what an Aboriginal person is - and the issue is about equality. 'If you marry an Aboriginal you can be classified (as one), or if the community or the elders accept you into that community you can be ...

So she's complaining that Aboriginal people get to decide who is Aboriginal and the methods by which they become Aboriginal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I saw this yesterday but I think this is a great example of the "rhetoric shift" we are seeing in Australian politics.

WA Premier Colin Barnett calls Fremantle 'disloyal' for axing Australia Day celebrations

Colin Barnett posted:

"I am extremely disappointed in the Mayor and the City of Fremantle for doing that," he said.

"It's disloyal to our country, it's disloyal to our state, and I think it's disloyal to the community of Fremantle.

"There are people from all over the world who live in Fremantle and we come together as one people, one country on Australia Day — no one should undermine that.

"Everyone understands the history and the debate about Australia Day but Australia Day is our national day, most Aboriginal groups accept it and history is put to one side.

"Australia Day is now a day for all Australians — whatever their background, wherever they were born — and I think any group that tries to detract from that does a disservice to our country and to our people, all of our people."

So beside the neat gaslighting, what I'm getting at is the concept of "loyalty" and "disloyalty". These are pretty absolute statements about a person's character, as well as an injunctive norm for what is "loyal" behaviour. The loyal/disloyal thing has been bandied around in ultranationalist/nazi circles for a while now, but this is a pretty salient "mainstream" example of it. I think it highlights how the rhetoric/discourse from the mainstream political right is actually shifting even further right towards One Nation/ultranationalist ideals.

I like how loyalty in this case is no-one complaining ever about the invasion of Australia, and the genocide of Indigenous Australians

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Malcolm Turnbull and George Brandis have a press conference at 9.15am.

:unsmigghh:

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Malcolm Turnbull and George Brandis have a press conference at 9.15am.

:unsmigghh:

Looks like it's about the appointment of a new Chief Justice...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First Dog:

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Your Next PM posted:

And we’ve seen the sorry saga of Satin George continue to wind its way through parliament. Such a long statement. So many words, desperately trying to say as little as possible. But in the end, he did what the Liberals have been doing for the best part of 1,400 days – he blamed Joe Hockey.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
If Bill Shorten loses the next election he should quit parliament and write jokes for a ABC show.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

If Bill Shorten loses the next election he should quit parliament and write jokes for a ABC show.

He already does, it's called 'ABC News'.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Senor Tron posted:

So she's complaining that Aboriginal people get to decide who is Aboriginal and the methods by which they become Aboriginal?

Circumstances under which they (be)come, thank you

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hooman posted:

He already does, it's called 'ABC News'.

He'll have tough competition with Chris Uhlmann in that role at the moment.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I was just reading this article and, uh...

quote:

And please note that unlike humans, sheep do not need "haircuts" – without human interference, merinos, who are not native to Australia, grow just enough wool to protect themselves from temperature extremes. The invention of shears led humans to breed sheep for continuous fleece.

Don't we have sheep that have escaped being found with like twenty kilos of wool on them, or does that not apply to merinos or something? Just curious.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Starshark posted:

I was just reading this article and, uh...

Don't we have sheep that have escaped being found with like twenty kilos of wool on them, or does that not apply to merinos or something? Just curious.

quote:

The invention of shears led humans to breed sheep for continuous fleece.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It’s become clear that Labor and the Greens are very close to having the numbers they need to set up a Senate inquiry into George Brandis and the Bell litigation matter.

A spokesman for Pauline Hanson said One Nation is against the inquiry, but a spokeswoman for Rodney Culleton has confirmed he will vote for the inquiry.

:allears:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I can't believe how much of an eyesore Parliament House will become after Brandis finishes building the Tower of Intellect.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

I can't believe how much of an eyesore Parliament House will become after Brandis finishes building the Tower of Intellect.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63UlBsdElsY

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/29/now-mike-baird-is-banning-p-platers-from-using-map-apps-big-mistake
The Baird government would respond that P-platers will be permitted to use GPS satellite navigation devices, just as long as they aren’t phones.

This is months old but I only just found out about it. NSW still the worst state to be a P-plater.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

open24hours posted:

This is months old but I only just found out about it. NSW still the worst state to be a P-plater.

Funny thing is, for all that NSW is only about average for young driver deaths (though it's probably down to more than just restrictive rules). Source

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

the guardian posted:

Vote was 36-29 to establish the George Brandis inquiry

To move:

That the following matter be referred to the legal and constitutional affairs references committee for inquiry and report by 21 March 2017:

(1) The nature and scope of any agreement reached by the commonwealth and Western Australian governments in relation to the distribution of proceeds of the liquidation of, and litigation concerning, the Bell Group of companies (the proceeds), with particular reference to:

(a) the priority order for distribution of the proceeds;

(b) the commonwealth’s position in relation to the distribution of, and litigation concerning, the proceeds;

(c) any connection between the above and the settlement of other disputes between the commonwealth and Western Australian governments, including regarding the distribution of GST revenue between the states;

(d) any direction or instruction given by the attorney general to the solicitor general, either directly or through his office or department, in relation to the conduct of litigation concerning the proceeds;

(e) any connection between the above and the issuing of the legal services amendment (solicitor general opinions) direction; and

(f) any other related matter.

(2) That the Senate directs the attorney general (Senator Brandis) and the minister for finance (Senator Cormann) to appear before the committee to answer questions

Voting for the inquiry:
ALP
Greens
Rod Culleton (One Nation)
Nick Xenophon x 3
Jacqui Lambie
Derryn Hinch

Against:
LNP
Hanson x 3
David Leyonhjelm.

i still don't 100% get what it's about but lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"The motion moved by Labor and the Greens won 36-29. Which means there must be a few people missing..."

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Goffer posted:

i still don't 100% get what it's about but lol
On the face of it this appears to be conspiracy to defraud the Commonwealth, by the Attorney General....

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
He's just going to suffer a completely unexpected case of Sinodinos Alzheimer's and get off scot free

flapy vajannawings
Nov 26, 2016

Goffer posted:

quote:

Voting for the inquiry:
Rod Culleton (One Nation)

Against:
Hanson x 3

hahaha :yayclod:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
ONP CHAOS! Kick this mob out!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

aejix posted:

He's just going to suffer a completely unexpected case of Sinodinos Alzheimer's and get off scot free

QED, but someone's going under the bus.The scope of the inquiry is a huge blow to Turnbull, there might be legal implications after all. WA will be just furious.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Part of this is WA really wanted to get paid off and now they're not getting their pork. They'll blame Eggman for this.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There's the WA election in March, also. The timing is nasty.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Synthbuttrange posted:

It’s become clear that Labor and the Greens are very close to having the numbers they need to set up a Senate inquiry into George Brandis and the Bell litigation matter.

A spokesman for Pauline Hanson said One Nation is against the inquiry, but a spokeswoman for Rodney Culleton has confirmed he will vote for the inquiry.

:allears:

Has anything more been done about Culleton and that letter to the Carins magistrate?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's a long bow but...

https://twitter.com/belinda_merhab/status/803438395968000000

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

splits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I foresee this being a long bow attempt that if he gets removed he's trying to set it up so as not to be a One Nation person so his replacement can be part of his inner circle as all the One Nation nominees over there were friends and family of him.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
200 apprenticeships is pretty cheap deal for smashing the unions

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

200 apprenticeships is pretty cheap deal for smashing the unions

Rod Culleton: inventor of the hi-vis parachute.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Lid posted:

I foresee this being a long bow attempt that if he gets removed he's trying to set it up so as not to be a One Nation person so his replacement can be part of his inner circle as all the One Nation nominees over there were friends and family of him.

If he was elected as one nation they will replace him with one nation even if he switches allegiance.

quote:

Where a vacancy has at any time occurred in the place of a senator chosen by the people of a State and, at the time when he was so chosen, he was publicly recognised by a particular political party as being an endorsed candidate of that party and publicly represented himself to be such a candidate, a person chosen or appointed under this section in consequence of that vacancy, or in consequence of that vacancy and a subsequent vacancy or vacancies, shall, unless there is no member of that party available to be chosen or appointed, be a member of that party.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Senate/Powers_practice_n_procedures/odgers/chap0421

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

norp posted:

If he was elected as one nation they will replace him with one nation even if he switches allegiance.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Senate/Powers_practice_n_procedures/odgers/chap0421

Given everything else he's attempted we can safely say he isn't the sharpest of knives.

Or of hammers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

Given everything else he's attempted we can safely say he isn't the sharpest of knives.

Or of hammers.

He's the sharpest melon in the tool shed.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Don't they have to replace him with the next person on the One Nation ballot (his brother in law)?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I think the party gets to nominate whoever they want, that's how we got Bob Carr a few years ago

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Maybe someone here can answer this: does anyone know why this line would be in the robots.txt of the ACCC's website (https://www.accc.gov.au/robots.txt)?

pre:
# Blocked from external search engines at request on 21/08/2013, see change #36545.
Disallow: /media-release/accc-alleges-price-fixing-by-major-milk-companies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
https://www.accc.gov.au//media-release/accc-alleges-price-fixing-by-major-milk-companies

quote:

Update: Federal Court finding
19 December 2002: Following ACCC action in the Federal Court, Justice O'Loughlin found in favour of the respondents in determining they had no case to answer.

Probably just trying to avoid misleading hits on Google.

• Locked thread