Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Holy hell that looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yea, that's a good looking floor.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Terrible Robot posted:

Not sure I understand the :spergin:

My brain was expecting a picture of the hangers and I was :spergin:

Bad Munki posted:

Beautiful floor

I have never been so envious of someone about a floor.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thanks! Having never done this before, I'm pretty stoked about the results.

What I'm finding as the evening comes on and I keep going out there just to gaze at it yet again while it cures is that that light taupe was 100% the right color. It's very warm and soothing and makes it look very bright in there against the dark outside the windows without at all glaring. "Moccasin," the tint is called. And it's not so aggressively tan as a lot of the other shades they had.

If anyone is considering doing it, go for it. The application was a cinch, under 4 hours for 800 square feet. The surface prep took way longer, but I was super fussy about that, filling and grinding and all that which wasn't technically required.

My pipeline was:
Trim with batch A at 30 minutes
Mix batch B for next cycle
Paint with batch A at 45 minutes
Flake batch A
Have a piss break or do some cleanup or just admire the work for ten minutes
Batch B becomes batch A, go to start

With that tight turnaround, I was able to one-man process four separate batches at 45 minutes per, with a large chunk of that time just going to the needed rest time after mixing, making it actually somewhat leisurely and still keeping a wet edge between batches. If I'd had an assistant, I probably could have done 20-30 minute batches, albeit with less flexibility in the scheduling and up to 3 batches simultaneously mixed, which might have gotten a bit hectic.

Anyhow, the next few days are gonna take forever as I wait to finally start moving my poo poo in.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Bad Munki posted:

My shop project continues. Last week, I filled all the contraction joints with an epoxy that'll expand/contract as needed without cracking, then I ground it all smooth, etched it, and finally, at long last, I put down the final epoxy coating on the whole thing. Actually went surprisingly well, I was able to do all 800 square feet of it in under four hours, that includes all the mixing and edging and flaking myself.

I should be able to walk on it this time tomorrow, and start putting heavy things on it by Tuesday, but I'll probably wait until the end of the week just to be sure. Pretty excited because aside from the bay door (which has been ordered and the parts should be here next week), this was the last major hurdle to moving in. Insulation and such can go in whenever, that doesn't need to be a precursor to getting out of the house's garage. Almost there!

Looks great.
This is something I wish I had done before I filled my garage with a ton of work benches and tools. Now the effort/expense to move it all out, store it, yaddy yadda means I'll probably have a poo poo floor forever.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

keep it down up there! posted:

Looks great.
This is something I wish I had done before I filled my garage with a ton of work benches and tools. Now the effort/expense to move it all out, store it, yaddy yadda means I'll probably have a poo poo floor forever.

No kidding, I was on the verge of being in that same exact position, seeing as it needs to be warm enough, and here we are in November, which was making me look to spring and imagining trying to move back out at that point...but we got some unseasonably warm weather all of a sudden and everything just sorta worked out, how fortuitous!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bad Munki posted:

What I'm finding as the evening comes on and I keep going out there just to gaze at it yet again while it cures is that that light taupe was 100% the right color. It's very warm and soothing and makes it look very bright in there against the dark outside the windows without at all glaring. "Moccasin," the tint is called. And it's not so aggressively tan as a lot of the other shades they had.

I think it's pretty much the perfect colour for a garage. I hope it's nice and durable for years to come!

MisterGoGo
Jun 16, 2015
Hey guys. I made a bust of the titular character from The Big Lebowski. I collect busts and thought it would be fun to make my own and put it for sale on my etsy shop.

He's cast in a resin/stone composite and set on an engraved cedar plinth. I stained and sanded the cedar so it looks a bit like some California driftwood. Thought it suited the personality of the statue.

MisterGoGo fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 11, 2016

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

MisterGoGo posted:

Hey guys. I made a bust of the titular character from The Big Lebowski. I collect busts and thought it would be fun to make my own and put it for sale on my etsy shop.

He's cast in a resin/stone composite and set on an engraved cedar plinth. I stained and sanded the cedar so it looks a bit like some California driftwood. Thought it suited the personality of the statue.

:wow:

Seriously, that looks brilliant!
If it's not a stupid question, how do you do the engraving? Do you chisel it freehand or use some kind of CNC setup?

MisterGoGo
Jun 16, 2015

Randyslawterhouse posted:

:wow:

Seriously, that looks brilliant!
If it's not a stupid question, how do you do the engraving? Do you chisel it freehand or use some kind of CNC setup?

Thanks! I had it laser engraved at a place near me that actually does really good laser engraving in wood. But yea the other option was CNC.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Bad Munki posted:

No kidding, I was on the verge of being in that same exact position, seeing as it needs to be warm enough, and here we are in November, which was making me look to spring and imagining trying to move back out at that point...but we got some unseasonably warm weather all of a sudden and everything just sorta worked out, how fortuitous!

I think it looks perfect. And like most people in the thread, I wish I would have done something similar to mine before moving everything in/building shelves and workbenches etc. What did the total cost come out to be for the epoxy?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Falco posted:

I think it looks perfect. And like most people in the thread, I wish I would have done something similar to mine before moving everything in/building shelves and workbenches etc. What did the total cost come out to be for the epoxy?

I used two 2.5 car garage kits, cost me about $200 for enough epoxy to do 1000 square feet (I put it on 800).

My post-application thoughts are:

1) If your layout allows it, don't bother putting it in a tray. When they cut the joints in my floor, it worked out that it was a 4x3 grid, and there were four cans of epoxy total, so each one did exactly three tiles, made it easy to measure. So I just dumped it straight on the floor in a roughly even swath across the three tiles and then spread it with the roller. Worked great.

2) Don't feel compelled to use all the flake. While I'm not disappointed, I think in retrospect I would have been happier with a much lighter flake application. When applying the flakes, throw small handfuls real high in the air, give them lots of space to flutter down and spread out. Don't be afraid to throw them past the edge of the paint or right up against the wall, they'll sort it out on their own and any loose flakes lying around will get epoxied or swept up later.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Bad Munki posted:

I used two 2.5 car garage kits, cost me about $200 for enough epoxy to do 1000 square feet (I put it on 800).

My post-application thoughts are:

1) If your layout allows it, don't bother putting it in a tray. When they cut the joints in my floor, it worked out that it was a 4x3 grid, and there were four cans of epoxy total, so each one did exactly three tiles, made it easy to measure. So I just dumped it straight on the floor in a roughly even swath across the three tiles and then spread it with the roller. Worked great.

2) Don't feel compelled to use all the flake. While I'm not disappointed, I think in retrospect I would have been happier with a much lighter flake application. When applying the flakes, throw small handfuls real high in the air, give them lots of space to flutter down and spread out. Don't be afraid to throw them past the edge of the paint or right up against the wall, they'll sort it out on their own and any loose flakes lying around will get epoxied or swept up later.

Awesome, thank you for the info. That's not near as cost prohibitive as I thought it would be.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No, it's not. And there are cheaper options as well. Here's the actual product I used, and you can pretty much always find a 10% off coupon for Lowe's: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-Professional-High-Performance-2-Part-Tan-Gloss-Garage-Floor-Epoxy-Actual-Net-Contents-320-fl-oz/3424652

The only other thing to note is that surface prep is key. This stuff doesn't fill, so if you have cracks or chips or divots, you'll want to fill those first. For that, I used this, it goes on very easily, similar to joint compound for drywall: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-EpoxyShield-24-oz-Concrete-Patch-and-Repair-Kit-215173/202097324

After that, rinse the hell out of it, like hose it, squeegee the water out, hose it again, squeegee, and maybe do it all a couple more times for good measure. Then you can finally etch it, and then hose it and rinse two or three more times. If you can drag your fingers on the cement and they don't come up perfectly clean, it's still too dirty and needs more rinsing. Mind the corners! They're sneaky dust collectors.

Once it's actually all clean, give it a good long while to dry, because you just put a hundred gallons of water on it over the course of a day or two. If you aren't sure if it's dry, lay a plastic garbage bag flat on it and put something on it to hold it down, let that sit for 24 hours, and when you check under the bag, if the concrete is darker than its surroundings, it's still wet. After doing my shop (and squeegeeing all the excess water off) I waited a full 48 hours with fans and a heater going. Water is the absolute worst enemy for a good epoxy application, worse even than the aforementioned dust/dirt.

All that being said, it's really quite easy, you just have to be dedicated to prepping the surface well. But you'll be quite pleased with the result! I say go for it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

wormil posted:

That sucks. It never ceases to amaze me how nasty some people live.

I once had a summer job cleaning (and later helping with repairs) to rental properties and I can honestly say I will as a result probably never be surprised at how nasty people can live.

You'd think the bathroom would be the worst but it's not. The kitchen. The kitchen is always the worst.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
For awhile I was a landlord, then I got some nasty fuckers that pissed in the corners of the bedrooms probably because the bathroom was so covered in fungus and mildew they wouldn't use it. I had to gut the house, down to the framing, had to throw out everything. Then the nasty rear end came back and asked for his security deposit. I sold it and will never be a landlord again.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Holy poo poo that is nasty

e: Come to think of it I learned a whole lot about household repairs just by helping out on the repair end of things in that summer job, like how to properly patch a hole in a wall, floor, etc.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 15, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I realized that I don't know how to build a table, so I just built a deck in the shape and size of a table.

Building the frame out of 1x4's and 1x2's. Screwed and glued, used a Kreg pocket hole jig. Everything is just Home Depot pine, hemlock or douglas fir. I live in Southern California, I have no fear of rot.

Attaching the 1x6 boards from underneath. Pre-drilled and still managed to crack one, oops.

Lots of sanding and a coat of danish oil

Put the legs on. Good enough.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Probably a tad overbuilt but it's a nice looking table.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wormil posted:

Probably a tad overbuilt but it's a nice looking table.

I ran through a couple of online weight/sag calculators, I could have stretched out the space between the 1x2s a bit, but it would only have saved me like one $2 piece of wood. I just tried to stop overthinking and make it as simple as possible. All straight cuts, I just clamped down a couple of pieces of wood for stops and blasted through it with a circular saw. It's not too heavy - I was able to lift it and turn it over while it was on the sawhorses with no problem.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FogHelmut posted:

I realized that I don't know how to build a table, so I just built a deck in the shape and size of a table.

Building the frame out of 1x4's and 1x2's. Screwed and glued, used a Kreg pocket hole jig. Everything is just Home Depot pine, hemlock or douglas fir. I live in Southern California, I have no fear of rot.

Attaching the 1x6 boards from underneath. Pre-drilled and still managed to crack one, oops.

Lots of sanding and a coat of danish oil

Put the legs on. Good enough.

Looks like you nailed it.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Looks like you nailed it.

No, they're definitely screws.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

BARNCHAT

My lights came up in the tool thread, so I thought an update was in order because I'm really excited about high-lift garage doors and cipher locks right now.

Tony Doughnuts posted:

I can't be bothered to go find the post about the guy that was installing lights in his new barn, how is that project coming along?

Oh hey, that's me, and the lights are baller af, especially when you go down there well after sunset, a short walk through the dark, and you hit the lights and it's all BAMMMMMMMMM. I was waiting to finish out the last row on each end, the rows closest to the end walls, since I needed to leave those bays open for stairs at one and and a garage door at the other. Got sort of used to it just being ever so marginally dimmer at each end for the longest time. The other night, I slapped up one of the rows and jeebus h it's so much better, just three little lights can make a huge difference.

Four of the six rows of overhead lights:

Also had a garage door put in, it's a Garaga.

I got it with a high-lift kit so instead of going across the lower ceiling and covering my lights and shortening my 9.5' headspace, it goes right up into the attic which is extremely awesome!

Last but not least, it's about a 100' walk from my back door to the barn, and I was finding that roughly 90% of the time, I would forget my keys. Problem solved with a cipher lock, extremely pleased with this decision.

Now I just need to finish studding out the walls and get some insulation in there because holy moly it's getting cold fast.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What's the password

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ante posted:

What's the password

69-420-4eva

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hot drat that is a sweet freaking barn.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Bad Munki posted:

My barn is the best barn.

How much are you in for all of the renovations so far?

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.
I made another clock, well, got closer to being finished with another clock...

Meet Weatherclock.

This is a nixie clock using six matched vintage Valvo ZM1020 numerical indicator tubes, four Russian INS-1 neon lamps, two 16mm orange LED illuminated vandal switches for set/dim, six Adafruit neopixel modules for the RGB backlights which are driven via wifi enabled Electric Imp unit.

This clock pings weatherunderground for local weather conditions, and changes the tube backlights based on the weather in its zip code. Blue for cold, red for warm, flashing blue for rain, flashing white for lightning, scrolling white for fog and ice, etc.

The box is a great piece of quilted cherry with Arm-R-Seal polyurethane to seal the wood. It's been sitting unsealed for about 10 months under the kitchen lights to let it darken up a bit. It will darken more over time.

This clock took me about a year to build, although I spread the work on this out over a year, I probably only spent a month on it total.

Short build log here - http://slothfurnace.com/sabers/NixieClock_06_WC_01.html

We've grown so used to having weatherclock tell us the outside conditions, it's become a needed interface in our living room. Very happy with how it turned out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

UberVexer posted:

How much are you in for all of the renovations so far?

It's hard to say without really digging into my bids and receipts, since some of the contracted work that was done was split between the house and the barn but all on the same tab...like, the cement job also included lengthening the garage entry slab on the house, and the new driveway I had put in included completely rebuilding the (long-rear end) main pull through drive on the house. That being said, I'm around 10k. I could figure it out, I have records of everything, but :effort: and 10k is probably pretty close so far if you include the materials I've bought and applied myself.

e: Oh, the new electrical service, forgot about that, that cost me a bit more than it had to since I didn't feel like futzing with it myself, so with that I'm probably over 10, but still DEFINITELY under 15.

ditsybairn
Nov 24, 2016
Some baby clothes I've made recently. I've been sewing since September of this year, needed a lot of distraction after losing a close friend to suicide in August and welp.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

nonentity posted:

I made another clock, well, got closer to being finished with another clock...

Dannng. Nicely done.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

nonentity posted:

nixie stuff

It's nice to see someone from the lightsaber world here. I've always wonder the goon overlap in various hobbies.

You do good stuff as always!

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

xwing posted:

It's nice to see someone from the lightsaber world here. I've always wonder the goon overlap in various hobbies.

You do good stuff as always!

Thanks! Goon overlap: best overlap.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I noticed my car has convenient M6 threads near the ceiling so I bought some fabric, grommets and coat hangers and made a little hammock thingy for pillows and stuff.

Hand sewing takes time.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ditsybairn posted:

Some baby clothes I've made recently.

Nice. Are you making these things for somebody who already exists or will exist soon, or are you bringing them around to your friends and being all passive-aggressive "get to breedin', guys!" to them?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

unpacked robinhood posted:

I noticed my car has convenient M6 threads near the ceiling so I bought some fabric, grommets and coat hangers and made a little hammock thingy for pillows and stuff.

Hand sewing takes time.

Are you a gypsy and does your windshield have one of those curtains across it with the tassels ?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

ditsybairn posted:

Some baby clothes I've made recently. I've been sewing since September of this year, needed a lot of distraction after losing a close friend to suicide in August and welp.

As a new father if an 8 week old, these are wonderful

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

Are you a gypsy and does your windshield have one of those curtains across it with the tassels ?

Not a gypsy but I do plan on having some curtains for when I sleep in the back.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I didn't want to spam this thread with a hundred photos of my latest idiot project, so I made a standalone thread for it instead. I'll be trying to bring this guy into the 21st century:

I'll post the finished result here, assuming I do finish it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My barn workshop project continues. Since I put in a usable floor in the attic, I figured I need a way to get up there that doesn't involve ladder gymnastics every time, so stairs it is. Didn't finish them, but I basically finished to the landing. Just need to slap some off-the-shelf treads on there. Since the rest of the way up will just be a single run up to a header without any landing to build or anything, it should go even quick, even though it'll be something like 13 steps instead of 5.

Building the landing and a boy who doesn't want his picture taken:

Don't worry, I eventually put 3/8" carriage bolts through the posts instead of the little decking screws I was using to fit everything together.

Landing in place, lower stringers in place:

Risers cut and attached:

Deck installed on landing, just need treads and the next run of stairs: