Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

womb with a view posted:

ME3 also suffered because you have a lot less control over Shepard compared to the other two. Like how the game crams Liara as your best friend and confidante down your throat even if you never talked to her before. Or how there's no option to have Shepard be optimistic about anything ever, just be either sad and maudlin or kind of edgy but mostly sad and maudlin. It made me like Vega because I think he's basically the only one who ever tries to get anyone pumped.

Also I was really confused about the beginning of the game because I didn't play Arrival on my first runthrough so I had no idea that anyone blew up a relay. I wondered if I was under house arrest because of the whole Cerberus thing, but then Anderson said I blew up a relay. Then I read the war assets and it said a different marine corps did it instead. I'm pretty sure the game continues to make references to Shepard blowing it up from there, though.

The game telling you that watching a poorly-rendered little boy be melodramatically blown up was the most traumatic thing to ever happen to Shepard through repeated, horrifically cliche dream sequences in a random gray forest was what really got me about the character writing. I thought they were some of the most pretentious garbage I had seen in the series until the ending came out and blew them away on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That wasn't why Shepard was upset.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I can't believe a work of fiction would imbue a character with symbolic meaning.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Lt. Danger posted:

I can't believe a work of fiction would imbue a character with symbolic meaning.

Yeah let's defend the ME3 dream sequences

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

At least when Max Payne did it they were paying homage to historic low-rent pulp

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sorry, but my Shep survived a horrible colony catastrophe before and was kind of hosed up by that well before Reapers and little boys with dumb ships. But please don't make me regret trying to be nice to Rock Aliens with a cut scene where we break out into song with them.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Lt. Danger posted:

Mass Effect 3, is good.

well then you are lost

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The dream sequences are boring and the symbolism is too blunt but Shepard isn't mad because "a child died", Shepard is mad because they are flying around in a swank rear end spaceship doing things to make the Council races happy while people are dying on Earth. They repeatedly say things to this effect.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Also the dream sequences have the problem much like the River of Sorrow in Metal Gear Solid 3 that you have to be a combination of bad at the game and a huge rear end in a top hat to get the most out of them, because that's the only way you get your dead friends and comrades whispering at you in them

And that's only really for the last of the three anyway

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
They have the problem that they are heavy handed and bad, not to mention out place. A middle school lit teacher would have put a lot of red marks on these parts.

I wonder how many of the worker bees rolled their eyes at the inclusion of these sequences. I bet they had some funny derisive nicknames for them. Probably had good ones for the lead producer and lead writer too. The third in a series is not the time to add new narrative devices, especially poo poo ones.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have opinions.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I have opinions.
No, I have opinions.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Alain Post posted:

It had good points, and bad points imo

Pick one or the other so you don't get locked out of conversations.

Trast posted:

How about something for the little lady in this number that warps through walls and tosses poisoned spikes that explode!

I hope they've improved the netcode as well. I never once got Cabal to work right off-host.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Trast posted:

Every MP DLC ramped up the crazy and it was great. "Hello sir would you like a vorcha with a flame thrower and crazy fast regen? How about a human adept that literally drains the life force out of their enemies? How about something for the little lady in this number that warps through walls and tosses poisoned spikes that explode!"

Polite Batarians that shoot exploding spikes! The vorcha with a flamethrower is also hilarious! Geth scouts that see through walls and turn into electric death!

drat. Now I have an urge to play again. I don't think I've played the single-player once since I finished it the first time.

Have they said who's doing the soundtrack? Jack Wall did such great work in ME and ME2, never did figure out why they cut him from 3.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
They didn't cut him. Wall elected not to do the soundtrack.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Harbinger asked for too much money and unrestricted access to the mass relay network, so they decided not to bring him back for Mass Effect 3.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Jet Jaguar posted:

Polite Batarians that shoot exploding spikes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eTaCRQNH6g

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

E: Woops, someone asked that exact same question a few posts up. :downs:

I'm hoping Sam Hulick comes back at least.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I hope they got Faunts to do a new song just for this game :swoon:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I felt like the dream sequences added an interesting zest to an otherwise pedestrian romp and stomp space shooter

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

I felt like the dream sequences added an interesting zest to an otherwise pedestrian romp and stomp space shooter

Less a dream sequence and more a bad ambien experience.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Guns And Conversation is a very good video game genre. I feel like these guys have the guns part under control, and the quality of their conversation has historically been inversely proportional to the stakes.

Neither gun nor conversation happens during the dream sequences, not even a lousy puzzle as a consolation prize, and that's why they're bad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
all I wanna do is shoot/stab badguys with my space/fantasy bros and then go back to the ship/castle and ask them how they FELT about it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

all I wanna do is shoot/stab badguys with my space/fantasy bros and then go back to the ship/castle and ask them how they FELT about it

the ultimate videogame

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

It's not too late to go in a new direction. Get the remnants of Yes to record a pseudo-followup to "The Ladder" for the end of Andromeda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2AhjhYWDUM

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dan Didio posted:

They didn't cut him. Wall elected not to do the soundtrack.

Instead getting Clint Mansell, aka the bastard responsible for the Requiem for a Dream/Tower song that was everywhere for the better part of a decade on "epic" youtube videos.

The Mass Effect 3 soundtrack is pretty bad, cheaply emotionally manipulative. That goddamn piano piece is so over the top sad that any emotion it tries to impart onto a scene is undercut by how overblown the music is.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Bongo Bill posted:

Guns And Conversation is a very good video game genre. I feel like these guys have the guns part under control, and the quality of their conversation has historically been inversely proportional to the stakes.

Neither gun nor conversation happens during the dream sequences, not even a lousy puzzle as a consolation prize, and that's why they're bad.

Do Shepards dream of Hanoi Tower puzzles?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azbtg1dpA-E

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hedrigall posted:

I hope they got Faunts to do a new song just for this game :swoon:

I need more Vangelis inspired Sam Hulick/Jack Wall tracks.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 29, 2016

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Arcsquad12 posted:

Instead getting Clint Mansell, aka the bastard responsible for the Requiem for a Dream/Tower song that was everywhere for the better part of a decade on "epic" youtube videos.

The Mass Effect 3 soundtrack is pretty bad, cheaply emotionally manipulative. That goddamn piano piece is so over the top sad that any emotion it tries to impart onto a scene is undercut by how overblown the music is.

This guy gets it

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Keru posted:

Do Shepards dream of Hanoi Tower puzzles?

This legit should have been the dream sequences in ME3.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This should have been the dream sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFR4socSv_E

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ME3 was doomed to suck the second Sovereign spoke in ME1. Reapers are a force of nature villian, trying to humanize them and turn them into a saturday morning cartoon villian completely hosed their story.

Also the Citadel DLC was the best part of the entire series by far.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No I liked talking to Sovereign

I liked talkin to all the reaprs

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Force of nature is what we got in ME3.

In ME1 and ME2 there was a creepy voice behind the machine death gods and only a hint of personality, which I liked. Sovereign was super ominous and Harbinger was clearly sexually confused by Shepard

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSawGT5bgdM

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's absolutely possible to go from the conversation with Sovereign and have an amazing payoff for it. Just take the Ur-Quan, for example.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Zzulu posted:

Force of nature is what we got in ME3.

In ME1 and ME2 there was a creepy voice behind the machine death gods and only a hint of personality, which I liked. Sovereign was super ominous and Harbinger was clearly sexually confused by Shepard

Those were really cool scenes, but there isn't a reasonable explanation for what the reapers do that makes any kind of sense if they're not just inexplicable murderbots.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
well the issue was that they tried to explain the reapers motives (with the dumbest loving poo poo) instead of just keeping them as the unknowable murdermonsters from beyond the galactic rim. Talking to them was still good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Look, the Reapers might be the biggest threat right now but you must not underestimate Kai Leng.