Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Caitlin posted:

Thanks eBay!

It even came in a case. :allears:

Nice! The only thing that could top it would be if there was a giant blotter acid tab on that little motherfucker's tongue, with the Rolling Stones' "Lips" logo on it, with a tab on that, with the Rolling Stones'...well, you get the idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Random Stranger posted:

I'm mildly curious about what happens when you try to trade pokemon with people playing on the regular cart.

It's just a text and level layout hack of Red so it'll work fine. Judging by the ingame trades they didn't change any of the generic "now trading" text to anything funny either. i played all of it on the world wide web, again

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Caitlin posted:

Thanks eBay!

It even came in a case. :allears:
I'm really tempted. I shouldn't be, but I am. Does it work? It better work.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

400 euros doesn't seem *that* outrageous, though it looks like someone might be making a slightly cheaper cart:

http://www.ausretrogamer.com/neo-geo-mvs-aes-flash-cart/

The CPS2 flash cart looks to have landed at around $325 and I'd say it's worth it. Thought I guess you need to sacrifice a B board to get it running?

Edit: I guess it'd be easier to just get a 161-in-1 and a Windjammers cart. I don't know what else the 161-in-1 is missing that might make the other $200 worth it.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 29, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

If the flash cart works perfectly I would definitely without question get it over a multicart. I've heard stuff about glitches and things with multicarts, incompatibility with certain motherboards, and some hassles with changing difficulty settings (things defaulting to level 8 etc). Multicarts were great when they were the only option and you could suffer some bullshit to have an amazing library on real hardware on the cheap but let's hope flash carts make them obsolete.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
How long is the EverDrive sale on for?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

TeaJay posted:

Some games were what you call "PAL optimized", but even that varies: for some games music is patched to run at correct speed but the game is still slower, and for some music is right but gameplay is faster! What a mess! All this we euro gamers had to deal with, and still do, if you're not into imports or modding your console.

Menu disc (warez) Atari ST games frequently had a 50/60Hz switch modded into the game (it was usually F10 if I recall). This had the effect of making the screen flicker in 50Hz mode, I can't recall if it also changed the speed of the running game. This seemed kind of a weird choice because everybody I knew who had an ST had a proprietary RGB Atari monitor, but maybe using composite monitors / TVs with STs was more common in Europe.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pegnose Pete posted:

How long is the EverDrive sale on for?

Could be gone any moment now. So if you were deciding. Do it soon.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Could be gone any moment now. So if you were deciding. Do it soon.

Cheers. My credit card is messed right now and would take a few days to sort so, might wait until next year I guess.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Speaking of Darksoft's CPS2 flash cart I just got mine in the mail today. I'm still waiting for the Hispanic X-Men vs Streetfighter A+B board set I ordered from Mexico to show up before I can do anything with it. You do have to murder a B board to use it and I'm a little ambivelent about doing that, but it isn't like dead boards can be easily found either now that they can be phoenixed.

I also ordered an Atomiswave. My hardware addiction must be sated.

EDIT: The 138 in 1 is the superior MVS flashcart once you get rid of the daughterboard and fill in the missing caps on the sound board. That plus a Neo Geo CD and you're set. The 161 has utter garbage build quality and mine died a few months after I got it.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 29, 2016

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I try not to throw my stream/stream archives in here much because it feels weird (look that last post was an exception regarding a weirdly specific thing ok) but I played an insane Lethal Enforcers ripoff on my random MAME stream called Under Fire and I have to show it to people. It's Taito trying to do LE like a year later but with about 3 different voice clips and what I can only describe as "half the graphics" and I love it. This video is timestamped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLsQaMghKiE&t=5278s

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Miles McCloud posted:

My hardware addiction

yeah lets start a support group

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Miles McCloud posted:

Speaking of Darksoft's CPS2 flash cart I just got mine in the mail today. I'm still waiting for the Hispanic X-Men vs Streetfighter A+B board set I ordered from Mexico to show up before I can do anything with it. You do have to murder a B board to use it and I'm a little ambivelent about doing that, but it isn't like dead boards can be easily found either now that they can be phoenixed.

I also ordered an Atomiswave. My hardware addiction must be sated.

EDIT: The 138 in 1 is the superior MVS flashcart once you get rid of the daughterboard and fill in the missing caps on the sound board. That plus a Neo Geo CD and you're set. The 161 has utter garbage build quality and mine died a few months after I got it.

Do you have a good source for dead/phoenixed B boards? I've been looking for a donor since I picked up the CPS2 multi but the prices have seemed to be pretty high ever since it released.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

eshock posted:

Do you have a good source for dead/phoenixed B boards? I've been looking for a donor since I picked up the CPS2 multi but the prices have seemed to be pretty high ever since it released.

idk if you have already but try klov forums. a lot of guys on there see stuff like that as trash they just want out of their garage

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

d0s posted:

idk if you have already but try klov forums. a lot of guys on there see stuff like that as trash they just want out of their garage

Klov's my main source for arcade stuff, and in general I agree, it's a great place for below-list PCB's, but I haven't had any luck specifically with dead/phoenixed CPS2 games. I guess it's been long enough since my last post that I could try to stir something up again.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I got a SEGA SC-3000H with the tape deck and boy howdy I love me some old computers. I managed to snap off one of the keys when I discovered they could be popped off (The Space Bar got stuck) and then I got messy with the superglue, and now the "ENG DEIR'S" key is stuck up and won't move. :argh:

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 29, 2016

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Miles McCloud posted:

You don't even need to phoenix boards anymore. You can reprogram a B board's encryption again using a Arduino and about 25 bucks worth of other parts.

http://arcadehacker.blogspot.cl/2016/09/capcom-cps2-security-programming-guide.html?m=1

I would imagine anything phoenixed would be worth less unless it is made original again.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I mentioned it because he came up in conversation recently and the people I was talking to were getting the same vibe off him and I was somewhat relieved to learn I wasn't imagining things. I don't feel slighted by him, he's a perfectly nice dude who's doing good work, but yeah, my comment came off way pettier than it should have. My bad.

fair enough, it was just a comment on hearsay, not really directed at you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any good NES/SNES/MD-based podcasts? Just people talking about the games would be fine. I tried 2 Dudes and a NES, but it's not grabbing me.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mark the Classic Game Room guy does a podcast, but it's for Patreon peeps. It's also been slanted more to the Sega side of things. I obviously don't have a problem with that.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any good NES/SNES/MD-based podcasts? Just people talking about the games would be fine. I tried 2 Dudes and a NES, but it's not grabbing me.

The only retro podcasts I've liked have been retronauts which listening to their episodes on themselves and virtual console made me feel old, and "back in my play" which the guy quit doing a while back.

I'd also be down for a good retro crpg podcast if anyone wants to recommend one

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773205

Here's the current video game podcast thread. There's lots of podcasts in the OP that may fit your bill.

You may like Watch Out for Fireballs. They take a game and talk through playing the game. It's not exactly my cup of tea.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Someday I'm going to make my own gaming podcast. It'll be all about games that nobody knows about except me and I'll have five subscribers, two of which won't even be family members!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sega Addicts was good when I listened to it a while ago, lots of Genesis stuff as well as the other Sega consoles.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I gave up on trying to find a dead CPS2 B board, that's why I ordered the Hispanic Xmen vs Street Fighter. Hispanic B boards are in less demand than US or Japanese ones as they only work with Hispanic A boards. Since I'll be installing the Darksoft kit I don't need to worry about that. I got it today and it's even more filthy than I was expecting, I'll have my work cut out for me refurbishing it.

I plan to consolize it with an RGB out and DB15 Neo Geo controller ports. I'm hoping to avoid soldering anything to the JAMMA edge so it would still work in a cab. I have similar plans for the Atomiswave.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh wtf

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What the hell is that photo even from?

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

:gonk:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
What is the cool light mod that people are doing to their gameboys?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MY WIFE DOES THIS

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Just more proof of how badly designed the N64 controller is.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

RZA Encryption posted:

MY WIFE DOES THIS

TMI dude.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

Just more proof of how badly designed the N64 controller is.

There are far worse.

Like this thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mariooncrack posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773205

Here's the current video game podcast thread. There's lots of podcasts in the OP that may fit your bill.

You may like Watch Out for Fireballs. They take a game and talk through playing the game. It's not exactly my cup of tea.

Appreciated, thanks! Yeah, I listened to a fair amount of WOFF before realizing that I can't stand their 'jokes', voices, or just how many times they go "Sooooo, yeah....".I try not to be picky, but it just got to be too much.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jesus Christ how horrifying

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What is the cool light mod that people are doing to their gameboys?

Biverting and installing a backlight?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Elliotw2 posted:

Biverting and installing a backlight?

That's the one.

RZA Encryption posted:

MY WIFE DOES THIS

But enough about her handjob technique.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hey I wanted to give a youtube shout out to Digital Foundry Retro. It's deep dives into old games but with a focus on different ports and how they performed with all the in-depth technical talk that DF is known for. My favorite so far is Castlevania. I never understood exactly why the Saturn version felt wrong besides some of the more obvious changes but this really tells all. Konami put little effort into that port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PxGM1np2hU

The Tomb Raider video is also super interesting as a groundbreaking game, and really a technological marvel, that few people discuss these days.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hey, someone (I think d0s) mentioned that coinopexpress is unreliable as hell and might not even be able to get you the stuff that you order. If they have a quantity listed for something on their website, does that mean it's safe, or is it still a crapshoot?

e: I'm asking because they say they've got two Megalo 50 cabinets and :sbahj: those are sexy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/18121761/the-true-story-nintendo-most-coveted-game

ESPN has a story up about Stadium Events.

• Locked thread