Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Reapers could've been pretty much exactly the same as the Kohr-Ah: paranoid immortals who compulsively exterminate all other life forms before they can ever become a threat to them. The mass relay network and the Citadel remain traps to bring all the most advanced species together in one place so they can be Reaped most efficiently, and they appear in a cycle because they calculated exactly how long they can afford to wait (Reaping is hard work) or maybe they were just busy Reaping someplace else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
^^^ Or that.

Even as far back as ME1, you had Vigil stating that the Reapers were probably using technology and raw materials of the galaxy to improve themselves (Husks were a part of this process). Why biomass? Well, ME2 says they use it to reproduce and Harbinger's dialogue indicates it's some sort of spiritual ascendance (but even ME1 plants the seeds that the Reapers aren't purely technological). All in all, the fifty thousand year timeline seemed to be the sweet spot to get a new Reaper and new stuff of worth without risking too many casualties. That has to be, after all, an element of necessity to the Citadel stratagem.

They didn't really need to go any further than that.

They could have borrowed from the Shivans. They wipe out species when they reach a certain point so species below them on the evolutionary ladder get their chance to rule the stars for bit - destruction and preservation are the one and the same.

They certainly didn't need to try for some misunderstood saviors idea.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

quote is not edit

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I thought it was pretty funny when ME3 got such massive backlash from fans and the response from Bioware was, "People didn't like that the endings were sad."

The MSJ posted:

Look, the Reapers might be the biggest threat right now but you must not underestimate Kai Leng.

Were they in DLC? I didn't get any for ME3 because I was so disappointed by it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I thought it was pretty funny when ME3 got such massive backlash from fans and the response from Bioware was, "People didn't like that the endings were sad."

What do you mean? They're in the final act blowing up everything. They did also appear in Leviathan DLC as a single reaper (rather the form the current reapers are based from) just straight up info dumping you at the end of it that made the endings a little more tolerable.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 29, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Bongo Bill posted:

The Reapers could've been pretty much exactly the same as the Kohr-Ah: paranoid immortals who compulsively exterminate all other life forms before they can ever become a threat to them. The mass relay network and the Citadel remain traps to bring all the most advanced species together in one place so they can be Reaped most efficiently, and they appear in a cycle because they calculated exactly how long they can afford to wait (Reaping is hard work) or maybe they were just busy Reaping someplace else.

Milky Moor posted:

^^^ Or that.

Even as far back as ME1, you had Vigil stating that the Reapers were probably using technology and raw materials of the galaxy to improve themselves (Husks were a part of this process). Why biomass? Well, ME2 says they use it to reproduce and Harbinger's dialogue indicates it's some sort of spiritual ascendance (but even ME1 plants the seeds that the Reapers aren't purely technological). All in all, the fifty thousand year timeline seemed to be the sweet spot to get a new Reaper and new stuff of worth without risking too many casualties. That has to be, after all, an element of necessity to the Citadel stratagem.

They didn't really need to go any further than that.

They could have borrowed from the Shivans. They wipe out species when they reach a certain point so species below them on the evolutionary ladder get their chance to rule the stars for bit - destruction and preservation are the one and the same.

They certainly didn't need to try for some misunderstood saviors idea.

Exactly. You don't need to try to somehow justify your enemy as some misguided group, especially when you establish them to be as sadistic as the Reapers. It only serves to diminish them as you try to somehow cobble together something big enough to make their behavior seem like justified extremism despite how malicious and inefficient it really has been. Reproduction and harvesting with some paranoia would be perfectly fine motives without the need for some pretentious circular logic like we did end up with.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

What do you mean? They're in the final act blowing up everything. They did also appear in Leviathan DLC as a single reaper just straight up info dumping you at the end of it that made the endings a little more tolerable.

No, I saw reapers multiple times, I was talking about the DLC antagonist Kai Lang.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

No, I saw reapers multiple times, I was talking about the DLC antagonist Kai Lang.

No, that chump dies in the Illusion Man's chamber as a "boss" in the main game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jImIxR4OEk

Edit: All of Kai Leng's stuff is in books and comics that no one read and is a bad and dumb character. I hate him.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 29, 2016

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

To me, Sovereign's conversation always felt more like generic villain loser talk than anything alien or unknowable. Harbinger was very slightly more interesting, with his lines about the rest of the team and fixation on Shepard.

In my fanfic, ME2 is the last we hear of possible Reaper motivations, and we get a few minor character Reapers harassing us via mook like Harbinger did. I missed the mid-fight villainous posturing.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

No, that chump dies in the Illusion Man's chamber as a "boss" in the main game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jImIxR4OEk

Edit: All of Kai Leng's stuff is in books and comics that no one read and is a bad and dumb character. I hate him.

I too hate the pointless anime space ninja and sometimes pretend they weren't in the main game.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Geostomp posted:

Exactly. You don't need to try to somehow justify your enemy as some misguided group, especially when you establish them to be as sadistic as the Reapers. It only serves to diminish them as you try to somehow cobble together something big enough to make their behavior seem like justified extremism despite how malicious and inefficient it really has been. Reproduction and harvesting with some paranoia would be perfectly fine motives without the need for some pretentious circular logic like we did end up with.

"We're just trying to save you from synthetics," I insist, as I graft a human onto a batarian's torso to serve as kinetic projector weapon.

It's like how the Codex also mentions that the Reapers broadcast the destruction of cities and the murder of civilians as psychological warfare when they attack. Reapers are the guys who pull wings off flies and burn ants with magnifying glasses, only immortal and nigh-invulnerable, armed with weapons capable of annihilating continents.

Even Sovereign's little chat can work without there being any greater meaning behind it. He talks poo poo the same way you'd talk poo poo to an ant that started telling you it was going to destroy you.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It's like how the main antagonist in SC2 was given this brief illusion of depth and tragedy because it's like, yes, a video game that is going to end with us destroying his bases and killing him needs this character to be more than something for the player to beat. It's extremely good that things get confusing, muddled and discordant. Same thing with the Reapers.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

My claim to fame in Mass Effect 3 is beating Vega's pull up record and finding out there wasn't an achievement for it. :mad:

No, I don't read achievement lists beforehand.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Pretty much all of the ME3 DLCs were good.

I can never take Kai Leng seriously because he sounds like a vegetable you can order stir fried at an Asian restaurant. There should be a DLC where, like the Morton brothers in Fallout 2, you have to face his vengeful relatives Park Choy and Kan Kong or something.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The only good thing about kai leng was charging and punching his smug face every time we fought because vanguard shepard don't take no poo poo. Kai leng would always show up, do team rocket bullshit, get his rear end kicked, and run away.

I'm okay with cerberus just being really incompetent, though. People argue "well they brought shepard back, they can't be that bad at everything" and the best response to that is the facility you were remade in blowing up and you spending the entire next game kicking their teeth in. You don't see the failure because you are their greatest failure.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 29, 2016

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

The MSJ posted:

I can never take Kai Leng seriously because he sounds like a vegetable you can order stir fried at an Asian restaurant. There should be a DLC where, like the Morton brothers in Fallout 2, you have to face his vengeful relatives Park Choy and Kan Kong or something.

Wow

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Leviathan should have been in the base game. As it is, it comes off as Bioware desperately trying to make people like the ending. Relegating meeting the makers of the Reapers to a DLC that is barely a blip in the main narrative is crazy.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
loving Kai Leng god drat ME3 was tots poo poo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
hide your cereal

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

Leviathan should have been in the base game. As it is, it comes off as Bioware desperately trying to make people like the ending. Relegating meeting the makers of the Reapers to a DLC that is barely a blip in the main narrative is crazy.

Javik as a preorder DLC was dumb too. He's a god damned Prothean that commented on poo poo you did or explained how some parts of Prothean society worked! Why lock that behind a preorder or DLC at all? He should have also been in the base game. Just dumb decisions all around for 3 I swear.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Cool nu stuff in ME3

1) Dream sequences
2) Kai Leng
3) Starchild
4) Synthesis
5) Pre order DLC 50k sole survivor

Mac Walters owns

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Javik as a preorder DLC was dumb too. He's a god damned Prothean that commented on poo poo you did or explained how some parts of Prothean society worked! Why lock that behind a preorder or DLC at all? He should have also been in the base game. Just dumb decisions all around for 3 I swear.

Also true. There were a lot of things wrong with ME3 beyond the ending. Given that Walters, apparently, wanted to sort of end the franchise, you wonder what the motivation was behind some of the decisions.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Milky Moor posted:

Also true. There were a lot of things wrong with ME3 beyond the ending. Given that Walters, apparently, wanted to sort of end the franchise, you wonder what the motivation was behind some of the decisions.

Lodes-a-money

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Actively torpedoing your own franchise via the ME3 ending was about the most impressive and ballsy thing you could say about it, and it's really Andromeda that's the craven and completely unambitious cash-in here.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Actively torpedoing your own franchise via the ME3 ending was about the most impressive and ballsy thing you could say about it, and it's really Andromeda that's the craven and completely unambitious cash-in here.

This is true.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I preordered it, it's me, i'm the consumer whore

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

"Sovereign said we would not understand why the Reapers do what they do, that was cool"
"Mass Effect 3 explained why the Reapers do what they do and I didn't understand it, that was bad"

Milky Moor posted:

This is what they did though??

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

"Sovereign said we would not understand why the Reapers do what they do, that was cool"
"Mass Effect 3 explained why the Reapers do what they do and I didn't understand it, that was bad"

This is what they did though??

Well, sure, if you squint. The Reapers do what they do to avert an existential threat to all life that exists and might ever exist - a synthetic species wiping out organic life as a concept (from malevolence or by making the galaxy inhospitable to it). But I don't think the Starchild ever really directly states it. The whole fate of destruction and joy of rebirth thing is Harbinger's whole schtick in ME2 and is, to be completely fair, mentioned by the Starchild (something about it being 'in Reaper form'?)

But it's still not effective and probably not the best story for a cinematic third-person shooter action game. The Shivans work because FS2 is entirely based around the idea of hubris in a fundamentally hostile galaxy where the player is a nameless cog, just as the GTVA is a nothing entity in the greater span of things. This doesn't work so much for the Mass Effect series.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Milky Moor posted:

But it's still not effective and probably not the best story for a cinematic third-person shooter action game. The Shivans work because FS2 is entirely based around the idea of hubris in a fundamentally hostile galaxy where the player is a nameless cog, just as the GTVA is a nothing entity in the greater span of things. This doesn't work so much for the Mass Effect series.

Why?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

no bones about it posted:

I preordered it, it's me, i'm the consumer whore

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I likely will preorder as well.
Please gently caress me harder, EA.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Romance path with EA was cut from final product due to lack of production time, sorry.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Dont pre-order games you loving idiots

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mymla posted:

Please gently caress me harder, EA.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Mass Effect: Andromeda - Please gently caress me harder, EA

Thread title please

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Moola posted:

Dont pre-order games you loving idiots

I'll never understand it. There's always a 25% off deal through non-shady dealers like Amazon. There's always streams and day one reviews, etc. Stop pre-ordering poo poo goddamn.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I can understand if the pre-order bonus is just, out of this world amazing!

but you can usually get those a day before or the same day as release, and sometimes even days after release too

gosh darn it

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Moola posted:

I can understand if the pre-order bonus is just, out of this world amazing!

but you can usually get those a day before or the same day as release, and sometimes even days after release too

gosh darn it

Im lazy and im the shitter who has over 250 games on Steam.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
youre too lazy to click the buy button on release day?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Some dude at work drives the shittiest dodge neon because he has to buy the elite man child edition of every game out there so he can get the dumbass toys that come with it

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Moola posted:

youre too lazy to click the buy button on release day?

Yes.

moist turtleneck posted:

Some dude at work drives the shittiest dodge neon because he has to buy the super mega man child edition of every game out there so he can get the dumbass toys that come with it

Im single and I make enough money that I can do dumb things like buy a crapton of video games and I dont have to drive a lovely dodge neon.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012