Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That simply isnt true about Patton.

Lol about that Cross bit, though. It is still so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Patton's still solid as hell. It is hilarious to listen to his old 'if I ever become a dad just loving shoot me if I try to get on stage again' bit though.

Cross' stuff on it is way funnier though, yea.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
cross also said he and amber tamblyn are having a kid so i guess he can put his own hypothesis to the test

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Thank God his wife died so now Patton's comedy will be good to you again.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I just watched Micheal Che's stand up special on Netflix and it was fantastic.

I forgot how funny he is. His work on weekend update has been spotty at best, it seems like he has problems working with the teleprompter. Regardless, it was great to see the special and be reminded of the daily show Che that was absolutely hilarious.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Dude, come on.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I also dislike Patton's "get this, I'm a dad" stand up

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

HEY NONG MAN posted:

That simply isnt true about Patton.

Lol about that Cross bit, though. It is still so good.

I couldn't tell whether it was Obama getting elected or him having a kid that ruined his comedy. I just remember that there was one show he had that was all about Obama and his kid, and I was like, "okay, I guess I'm done with him now."

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Thank God I didn't say anything as loathsome as what you're implying I did.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I dunno fellas, in these dark times who doesn't want a good dead wife joke or two.

Bright times ahead!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Drunkboxer posted:

I dunno fellas, in these dark times who doesn't want a good dead wife joke or two.

Bright times ahead!

Too bad Hillary didn't win, I guess

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You're forgetting one more important theme of his. Every time I tried getting into Patton's stand-up, I'd watch the first few minutes of a special, get bored, fast-forward at random and, inevitably, the routine I'd stumble upon would be the hilarious "*fart noises* I'm faaaat *fart noises* so faaaaaaat *fart noises*".

Megazver fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 29, 2016

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I would rather a comedian evolve and have a set they feel passionate about even if it don't like it as much, rather than having one I like do literally the same kind of material for 30 years. That's how you get Jeff Foxworthy and Jeff Dunham.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Megazver posted:

You're forgetting one more important theme of his. Every time I tried getting into Patton's stand-up, I'd watch the first few minutes of a special, get bored, fast-forward at random and, inevitably, the routine I'd stumble upon would be the hilarious "*fart noises* I'm faaaat *fart noises* so faaaaaaat *fart noises*".

Oh yeah. I'm forgetting this thing you didn't tell us until just now that also I don't care about. Woops.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Cael posted:

I would rather a comedian evolve and have a set they feel passionate about even if it don't like it as much, rather than having one I like do literally the same kind of material for 30 years. That's how you get Jeff Foxworthy and Jeff Dunham.

Same I just don't like it

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cael posted:

Definitely. And I evolved away from his comedy evolution, which is also natural and normal.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
I think "Finest Hour" is Oswalt's best album, and that's post-kid.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
That is, certainly, not his finest hour.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I don't think Patton has ever been overly funny, quite frankly. He has like two-three flavours of joke.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'd die or preferably kill to see Norm do standup

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't think Patton has ever been overly funny, quite frankly. He has like two-three flavours of joke.

I like him a lot but yea most of his jokes tend to result in, like, a chuckle and a smile more than the few that actually make me lose my poo poo laughing. He's a funny guy, I like his stuff, but he's just kinda a guy I can put on the background and enjoy than someone who makes me burst out laughing a lot.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does Norm do a podcast? I just love that guy's delivery, I'd listen to him reading the phone book.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
He does, sort of. There are episodes you can listen to but it is unclear if it's coming back.

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

rear end Catchcum posted:

He does, sort of. There are episodes you can listen to but it is unclear if it's coming back.

It came back. There were two episodes that came out but that was two months ago.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah, I know. It was supposed to keep going and it's been two months...

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
A staff writer on Insta said it'll be back in January, either way other episodes have definitely been recorded (pics came out) & seems like there's a new set. The ones with pics of the recording are David Letterman, Jerry Seinfeld , Margaret Cho , Mike Tyson & uhhh I might be forgetting someone. Anyways all that incredibly sick Norm content's being stockpiled somewhere I guess

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 7, 2016

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Reggie Watts' new special on Netflix is really good, as long as you're comfortable with bits that go 20% longer than you'd expect

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
norm guested on a bunch of podcasts in the past few months promote his new book, so you can listen to those if you want some more norm. he did like two hours on the nerdist

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Reggie Watts' new special on Netflix is really good, as long as you're comfortable with bits that go 20% longer than you'd expect

I don't know if they're adding laughs or mic-ing the audience, but it's super distracting from what I can figure out to be funny on my own, thank you very much.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

doctorfrog posted:

I don't know if they're adding laughs or mic-ing the audience, but it's super distracting from what I can figure out to be funny on my own, thank you very much.

I've noticed this on a few specials recently - it sounds to me like they mic'd the audience in multiple places, but then set a threshold fairly high before the sound cuts on to those mics. The result feels like a laugh track and is distracting imo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Isn't that something Reggie would do on purpose, though? It's very much in the vein of Comedy Bang Bang too.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Reformed Pissboy posted:

I loved it, though I thought the Crowe's Nest bits were kinda sub-par. (they just weren't as hilarious or fun as his solo bits that go all over the place)

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 21, 2017

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
I watched Neal Brennan's "3 Mics" on Netflix last night, and rather liked it. Very different style than you normally see.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

St. Dogbert posted:

I watched Neal Brennan's "3 Mics" on Netflix last night, and rather liked it. Very different style than you normally see.

I didn't enjoy the "emotional" part = a dude's indulgent one-man show but maybe it was cathartic for other people. I did enjoy the other two mics.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

St. Dogbert posted:

I loved "3 Mics." I thought the comedy was smart and hilarious and while I understand the critique that the personal stuff was indulgent I felt that the contrast between it and the comedy elevated both 'acts'.

I haven't seen anything quite like it, definitely worth a watch for originality if nothing else.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Michael Rapaport decided to die on defending Chris Brown against the PC Police Aziz Ansari hill.

http://www.avclub.com/article/michael-rapaport-calls-aziz-ansari-politically-cor-249130

quote:

“But Aziz Ansari, you are one of these holier-than-thou political correct police,” he said. “This little f*ck. Mr. Racial, he’s like Mr. Provocative… He’s like, ‘Oh, the brown people this.’ He’s always talking about the brown people and I get that he tries to be racially provocative. He is racially provocative… I said this once and I’ll say it again.”

“F*ck you, you little politically correct f*ck, you. I’m not saying he’s not funny. I’m not saying he’s not talented. And I’m not saying his voice isn’t warranted, but you are not holier than thou,”

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

He also lashed out at the Chapo Trap House guys for being, in his own words, hipster wannabe black dudes co-opting black culture or something. Which is like Seth Rogen getting mad at chubby bearded dudes whose schtick is they smoke weed.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
It's true, white guys cannot enjoy hippity hoppity music, it's cultural appropriation.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Is Michael Rapaport a comedian?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Is Michael Rapaport a comedian?

Yeah he's been around a long time. I remember watching one of his old Comedy Central Presents specials when I was a kid, then not hearing anything about him for over a decade until Louis CK cast him as an obnoxious rear end in a top hat cop in an episode of his show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I most recently saw him being really bad in that one season of Justified.